Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

OwlFancier posted:

Wait sorry you work in a news place and the people there don't know how to use a camera?

I mean, I probably couldn't use a news camera either, but I don't work in a newsroom?

Pretty sure you'd be able to figure it out, it's not like the switches aren't labeled with FOCUS: Man /Auto.

bitterandtwisted posted:

I tried to install some software on a user's computer and got an error message telling me to check the OS version. Looked in system properties and right enough it was Win7 32 bit. With 8GB ram installed.
There's a whole bunch of machines just like it.

We're going in to a new round of workstation replacement, about 700 machines going from HP/Compaq dc8000s with core2duo E8400s/4gig ram to newer HP boxes with i5-4590s and 8 gigs of ram.

...Our desktop image is still win7 32 bit :negative:

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Apr 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
the chief engineers at both the cbs affiliate and a local radio group are gigantic loving packrats too. im sorry no i really dont think your giant dust covered pile of broken poo poo is interesting!

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Gwaihir posted:

Pretty sure you'd be able to figure it out, it's not like the switches aren't labeled with FOCUS: Man /Auto.

We have both JVC and Panasonic field cameras and both have this switch on the bottom side of the zoom bar area so it's not exactly hard to find either.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
Feelin' pretty good today. Came in at nine to twelve things in the entire company's queue. Only analyst here today. Alright:

Bam.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

My supervisor, who is "in charge" of inventory*, is a hoarder. He won't recycle anything on the off chance that we'll need something. We never do. So I always jump at the chance when our manager decides he's had enough and wants help cleaning up the inventory room. Get rid of a bunch of poo poo that way!

*yesterday manager said he wants me in charge of inventory now. But to ease in to it, and it was very light on actual details

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Vicas posted:

Please post later today to assure us that you're still alive

Still here, but he's not. No one knows where he is. He's supposed to be here. A year ago, he'd have been here at 6:00 am with bells on. He's officially just given up on this job, I believe.

I think the thing he'll be the most pissed about, and I wish i was joking, was an old Maxwell coffee container with three paintbrushes in it that we used to repaint the chroma wall over eight months ago. He was supposed to clean that up, but he just stashed it on a desk and immediately covered it with a bunch of busted cables and boxes and I forgot about it. I found it yesterday. There was still something resembling the water we had the brushes soaking in. It was the unmistakable bright chroma green we have in the studio, except it was literally a solid mass of mold. The brushes were molded halfway up the handle. It smelled like a rotten lovely armpit filled with old cheese. I thought about cleaning them, but then remembered that those brushes came in a pack of 3 for $10. I just chucked the whole mess.

We still have about 20 decrepit, half-rotted paintbrushes in the basement, but I think it'll be those three he'll miss the most.

Other notable finds:
  • A cup he ate ice cream out of three months ago overturned and stuck to the floor behind a workbench.
  • TEN POUNDS of random strewn about screws.
  • Six rolls of duct tape in varying states of decay
  • A stash of Purell hand sanitizer dispenser refills that expired in 2006
  • The Box: a box I have been forbidden to touch or inquire about since I started. It is "very important" and has "very valuable" things in it. The box, cardboard and falling apart with age, apparently housed our consumer grade security cameras when they were purchased in 2004. The box contained a single coaxial patch cable.
  • A decayed plastic shopping bag from Radio Shack, filled with various universal AC adapters still in their clearly unopened and ancient boxes. A barely legible receipt was still in the bag and after some digital enhancement fuckery, was dated 1996.
  • 17 IDE HDDs ranging from 2GB to 70GB
  • A bucket of crushed BNC, coaxial, and RCA connectors. Like, crushed and warped and forever unusable. There had to have been thousands.

Please point out anything that seems entirely valuable I was out of line for disposing that I have previously specifically been told not to throw away.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't get hoarding, the worst I keep is my old SNES and N64 as well as some games, and the bits box which has a bunch of internal power cables and various connectors in case I need a spare, mostly just because I don't want to have to buy them.

But I don't think anybody needs a bunch of ancient technology because it's actually useful, unless it's an ornament what's the point?

larchesdanrew posted:

Please point out anything that seems entirely valuable I was out of line for disposing that I have previously specifically been told not to throw away.

Hey now if you got all the screws and old cables together and combed them with a magnet you might be able to get a pretty good haul of pure metal scrap out of that heap!

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Apr 17, 2015

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

OwlFancier posted:

Hey now if you got all the screws and old cables together and combed them with a magnet you might be able to get a pretty good haul of pure metal scrap out of that heap!

Thought about it. The nearest scrap yard is an hour away and there wasn't enough to be worth it. I donated it to my wife's auto shop for their scrap pile they buy pizza with every month in exchange for some of the pizza when they get it :shrug:

OwlFancier posted:

But I don't think anybody needs a bunch of ancient technology because it's actually useful, unless it's an ornament what's the point?

We have a maze in the basement made from stacks of obsolete and broken equipment. Stuff so old that it would be actually impossible to interface with our current equipment. Parts for a satellite truck we haven't used in a decade and sold several years ago, old non-functioning switchboards, a literal wall of CRT monitors. It's textbook hoarding and drives me insane. The chief engineer seems convinced that it will be useful SOMEDAY. Granted, this is the same guy that got mad I made a Christmas wreath out of PC100 RAM and spoke about how valuable it was, even though we don't have a single machine in this building it would fit in. Then some goon in the thread pointed out that you can buy them on ebay for about 25 cents.

I'll post pictures of the hoard if there's any interest.

A Frosty Witch fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Apr 17, 2015

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

larchesdanrew posted:

Still here, but he's not. No one knows where he is. He's supposed to be here. A year ago, he'd have been here at 6:00 am with bells on. He's officially just given up on this job, I believe.

I think the thing he'll be the most pissed about, and I wish i was joking, was an old Maxwell coffee container with three paintbrushes in it that we used to repaint the chroma wall over eight months ago. He was supposed to clean that up, but he just stashed it on a desk and immediately covered it with a bunch of busted cables and boxes and I forgot about it. I found it yesterday. There was still something resembling the water we had the brushes soaking in. It was the unmistakable bright chroma green we have in the studio, except it was literally a solid mass of mold. The brushes were molded halfway up the handle. It smelled like a rotten lovely armpit filled with old cheese. I thought about cleaning them, but then remembered that those brushes came in a pack of 3 for $10. I just chucked the whole mess.

We still have about 20 decrepit, half-rotted paintbrushes in the basement, but I think it'll be those three he'll miss the most.

my body started shaking uncontrollably and my face sorta contorted as I read that

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

larchesdanrew posted:

Thought about it. The nearest scrap yard is an hour away and there wasn't enough to be worth it. I donated it to my wife's auto shop for their scrap pile they buy pizza with every month in exchange for some of the pizza when they get it :shrug:

This is the best solution!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

larchesdanrew posted:

We have a maze in the basement made from stacks of obsolete and broken equipment. Stuff so old that it would be actually impossible to interface with our current equipment. Parts for a satellite truck we haven't used in a decade and sold several years ago, old non-functioning switchboards, a literal wall of CRT monitors. It's textbook hoarding and drives me insane. The chief engineer seems convinced that it will be useful SOMEDAY. Granted, this is the same guy that got mad I made a Christmas wreath out of PC100 RAM and spoke about how valuable it was, even though we don't have a single machine in this building it would fit in. Then some goon in the thread pointed out that you can buy them on ebay for about 25 cents.

Oh my god I would have so much fun with that, I would redecorate my bedroom like the bridge of the starship enterprise and it would be glorious. You should film pirate episodes of Blake's 7 down there or something.

I would be interested in pics certainly if you're willing to share.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 17, 2015

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

larchesdanrew posted:

• A cup he ate ice cream out of three months ago overturned and stuck to the floor behind a workbench.
  • TEN POUNDS of random strewn about screws.
  • Six rolls of duct tape in varying states of decay
  • A stash of Purell hand sanitizer dispenser refills that expired in 2006
  • The Box: a box I have been forbidden to touch or inquire about since I started. It is "very important" and has "very valuable" things in it. The box, cardboard and falling apart with age, apparently housed our consumer grade security cameras when they were purchased in 2004. The box contained a single coaxial patch cable.
  • A decayed plastic shopping bag from Radio Shack, filled with various universal AC adapters still in their clearly unopened and ancient boxes. A barely legible receipt was still in the bag and after some digital enhancement fuckery, was dated 1996.
  • 17 IDE HDDs ranging from 2GB to 70GB
  • A bucket of crushed BNC, coaxial, and RCA connectors. Like, crushed and warped and forever unusable. There had to have been thousands.

It's like Santa's sack for all the IT boys and girls who have been naughty this year.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

larchesdanrew posted:

Yes, there is interest.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

We're decommissioning large parts of our datacenter in a few months. Want me to film me throwing a rack worth of 4Gb FC SAN equipment, assorted Cisco gear and a couple of dozen HP servers into a metal shredder? You could show it to him and see if he has a meltdown.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Collateral Damage posted:

We're decommissioning large parts of our datacenter in a few months. Want me to film me throwing a rack worth of 4Gb FC SAN equipment, assorted Cisco gear and a couple of dozen HP servers into a metal shredder? You could show it to him and see if he has a meltdown.

You should film that just for fun. I'd watch it.

Pictures incoming

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Hoarding is a product of mental illness. I posted here years ago about having to cover for the mailroom guy and finally discovering the source of the foul smell that loomed over that part of the office: a treasure trove of half eaten rotting yogurts, partially consumed cans of beans, mostly empty juice bottles... all stashed under his counter. There were hundreds of supermarket plastic bags stuffed down there, as well as literally a few hundred pounds of misdelivered mail, most of which was gossip magazines and other newsprint crap.

I threw out every bit of it and then began a mighty scrubbing of every surface in there, including using bleach wipes to scrape the gunge off of his keyboard. It was disgusting.

When he returned I could see that for about ten seconds he was considering losing his poo poo over what I'd done, but then he probably recognized that we were all about to toss him off the balcony into the canal for bringing such an odious mess into our workspace. From then on I patrolled the mailroom regularly to make sure he never backslid.

I feel like the office version of Elise, from the hospital horror stories thread: you might not survive, but by God you will die clean

EDIT: Flashback Friday!

This is only the first part of Tony's massive stash of worthless poo poo that I threw out. By that point I didn't give a gently caress what he thought about anything and so felt free to discard almost everything that was in the storage space.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Apr 17, 2015

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

larchesdanrew posted:

Yes, please.

Collateral Damage posted:

Yes, please.

Every few months, we gather up all the broken and EOL terminals we pull out of our merchant's locations and I haul them off to a recycling center. I just did this a few days ago. I decided to keep a still working Tranz 330 and a Way 5000, both with partnered printers, and start a museum of antiques.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

Yahoo! had 7.5 billion dollars in profit for 2014. No idea where they're getting it from but they definitely ain't in trouble these days.

Fantasy Football. Have you seen their new datacenter? I did work on it last year.

The white building(s) on the left is their current datacenter. The one on the right is part of their new one - imagine that building copy-pasted 2 more times, and you have an idea.

Also, that big open space in the top left? Check back in a couple of years.

Edit: They wouldn't let me take pictures inside the facility (and I signed an NDA), but they did let me take one of their awesome purple couch! I'll upload it when I'm at home.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Did a quick basement runthrough. Sorry about the picture quality. If you notice anything that would identify the station I work for, please let me know so I don't lose this poo poo job.

This is our wing of the basement. It's like a loving Eye Spy book. Fun fact: 98% of this stuff either doesn't work or is older than 15 years.

Those two computers do something. He won't tell me what, but they're apparently integral to our operation.

Those are all WindowsME machines.

All of these cameras are film/SD. Functionally worthless to us.

A pile of broken tripods.

Piles of out of commission studio lights. They will never be used again.

Look at all these loving screens. There are so many more stashed away in other rooms.

Another fun fact, these computer control every facet of playback for three different channels. They are dumped unceremoniously on a plastic card table in the basement.

I personally removed that stack of machines from our server room last year. They are completely inoperable. Bonus 3rd row seating from some van. I've slept on it. I found out yesterday the lead director did the nasty on it with one of the producers 5 years ago

Yup.

This is the box pile. All boxes get put here. You are not allowed to throw any boxes away in case we need to ship something out.

An array of DSL modems that provide static IPs to different servers. Fun fact 3: The basement floods whenever it rains. The water usually stops about 6 or 7 feet from this area.

A daisy chain of UPSs, all plugged into each other. We didn't do this. This is mandated by our internet provider. I don't know what the gently caress.

There you go. Just some of my lovely basement.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Gwaihir posted:

That's the switch for whether you're filming cars or people, right?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

:stonklol:

Although there's room to walk those pictures rate very high on the "volume of stuff to percentage of worthless crap" scale. If you're within 400 miles I will drive there and help you recycle all of it. ALL OF IT.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
My God, it's beautiful.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

OwlFancier posted:

Take the bin of crap to a scrapyard, ask them to crush it into a cube for you, bring it back into work and give it to him, tell him you upgraded the compression on his hardware archive.
Ok, this one literally made me laugh.
:golfclap:

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
It's even more amazing/terrifying than I had imagined.

J
Jun 10, 2001

drat I can't even decide what I like best about those pictures.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Holy Jesus that's terrifying.

The monitors look like you interrupted them having a conference or something, are you sure they're in the same position every time you come down?

Also, what is that... object... on top of the Performa box?

Why do you have a vaguely menacing "Thy Will Be Done" sign next to the functional computers? Does the basement contain a busted electronics golem or something?

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 17, 2015

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

J posted:

drat I can't even decide what I like best about those pictures.

Everything. Every single thing about them. I mean, it doesn't have "Workstation_rack_tetris.jpg," but it's even better for sheer quantity and quality of old poo poo.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

Also, what is that... object... on top of the Performa box?

Just went to check.

Why, it's just a small cardboard box. Wonder what's inside?

Oh! That's where they stored all the extra wallpaper from when they redecorated the sales offices in 1988.

OwlFancier posted:

Why do you have a vaguely menacing "Thy Will Be Done" sign next to the functional computers? Does the basement contain a busted electronics golem or something?

I'm not really sure. I do believe the old chief engineer was a huge bible thumper, but that doesn't explain why that's still hanging up.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
Do I see a U-matic deck in there? Or are those all Beta of some flavor?

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

Gunjin posted:

Do I see a U-matic deck in there? Or are those all Beta of some flavor?

I promise you if you look close enough you'll find both, probably. I know there are a handful of Betamax units in there.

Yet another fun fact: we still have several Betamax units in service because we actually have clients that ship in footage on them. I poo poo you not.

Upstairs, we have every episode of The Simpsons up to season 17, every episode of Andy Griffith, and every episode of In the Heat of the Night on Beta.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

OwlFancier posted:

"Yeah so when it's done, change this global variable from emet to met."

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

That is the scariest basement I have ever seen and I'm pretty sure mine has ghosts.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

If the shipping wouldn't be ridiculous I'd take one of those PVM's off of you

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

spankmeister posted:

Sorry, bud, none of this is for sale. We will definitely have need for all of this at some point.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

spankmeister posted:

Over that supervisor's cold, dead body you would.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

And this is why you do it without telling them. :getin:

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

larchesdanrew posted:

Yet another fun fact: we still have several Betamax units in service because we actually have clients that ship in footage on them. I poo poo you not.

HDCAM/HDCAM SR I hope? Or Betacam SX, I know some news organizations still use that.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

larchesdanrew posted:

Did a quick basement runthrough. Sorry about the picture quality. If you notice anything that would identify the station I work for, please let me know so I don't lose this poo poo job.

Late last year our network admin was mandated to take all of the decommissioned poo poo out of our racks. We now have about 3 racks worth of old SANS, servers, switches, routers, and other random bits sitting in a giant pile in our work room. After seeing your post, I no longer think our hoard is really that bad.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Kurieg posted:

"Yeah so when it's done, change this global variable from emet to met."

gently caress yes, I love this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

larchesdanrew posted:

There you go. Just some of my lovely basement.
What irks me about this is all the people that are exposed to that. That kind of packrat behavior just reinforces the stereotype of 'that weird IT guy'.

I'd fire myself if I created a mess like that.

• Locked thread