Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Its a shame that the coolest weapon you get comes right as you go into NG+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The beast claws are the best weapon, by the way. I took down the final boss and only had to use 1 blood vial with it.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Its a shame that the coolest weapon you get comes right as you go into NG+

You can get an alternate version in one of the ailing loran chalice dungeons.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I tried to beat logarius like 5 times and failed each time before leaving to watch hockey. It's probably the only boss in the game I have troubles with I suppose. Today I'm going to play until I beat him because gently caress him!!! Stupid blood wizard!

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
do beast claws + blood pellets stack the speed beast mode increases

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

THE PENETRATOR posted:

do beast claws + blood pellets stack the speed beast mode increases

no, and the bar resets when the pellet wears off

Dec 26, 2012

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

I tried to beat logarius like 5 times and failed each time before leaving to watch hockey. It's probably the only boss in the game I have troubles with I suppose. Today I'm going to play until I beat him because gently caress him!!! Stupid blood wizard!

it took me a bunch of tries and i mostly succeeded because i got his first form knocked out asap and didn't miss parries as much. what level do most people kill him at anyway

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

01011001 posted:

it took me a bunch of tries and i mostly succeeded because i got his first form knocked out asap and didn't miss parries as much. what level do most people kill him at anyway

Idk. I'm sl 45 atm

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

He feels way harder this time because I don't remember dying in one hit to every single attack of his

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

01011001 posted:

i didnt level past 60 until ng+... think i killed him around there. but also i had 40 arcane and nothing else lol #pwnt

Dec 26, 2012

He feels way harder this time because I don't remember dying in one hit to every single attack of his

vit is a big deal here, more so than in other souls games because blood vials scale with max

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

01011001 posted:

vit is a big deal here, more so than in other souls games because blood vials scale with max

i chose waste of skin and have put 0 points into VIT on this guy -_-

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

get used to getting one shot then.

Dec 26, 2012

welp

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

i found him pretty hard and died 12 times or something (haven't died more than twice on any other boss). the reason i found him hard was that he's a bit different to other bosses, at least early on. in his first form you shouldn't try to time his attacks at all, just dodge continually behind him while hitting him until he starts meleeing and then go for a parry before backing off and starting it up again. the second form people on the internet said was hard but i thought he was fairly easy to time with parries

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I beat Logarius on my first try so I guess I got lucky, but I was also pretty over leveled too.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

seiferguy posted:

I beat Logarius on my first try so I guess I got lucky, but I was also pretty over leveled too.

This except Ebretias

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I tried a few times last night and stopped and did the shadow of yharnam fight instead. I can't get the wheel if I kill rom before logarius, right?

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
i played a little bit of this at a friends a couple days ago . do the later enemies have some kind of poise? it felt like i could just mash stuff down. the cleric beast was great fun though.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

I tried a few times last night and stopped and did the shadow of yharnam fight instead. I can't get the wheel if I kill rom before logarius, right?

i'm pretty sure he DOes drop his badge when he dies, no matter when it happens... but for you, i'll check.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

later enemies have certain attack animations with poise, yeah. bigger dudes will be pushed around for a hit or two before you have to back up as they wind up their next hit. Idk if it's dependent on the size of your weapon though.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

I.N.R.I posted:

i played a little bit of this at a friends a couple days ago . do the later enemies have some kind of poise? it felt like i could just mash stuff down. the cleric beast was great fun though.

basically bigger enemies have more poise, and it's like weapons have a hidden poise threshold where you can stagger enemies which have that poise or lower, with the heavier strength weapons staggering more dudes. charged r2 attacks also stagger more guys than the r1.

big guys like the giants in the church ward can't stagger but in this example if you do a certain amount of damage to their legs without killing them they'll be knocked down for a pro visceral attack

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

oh yeah, the locational damage stuff on big dudes is super neat, makes fighting large humanoids more interesting because you take out their knees in most cases if you don't lock on and aim swings properly

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
good to hear about the poise. i play unlocked a lot. Im MLG lol :P

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I.N.R.I posted:

good to hear about the poise. i play unlocked a lot. Im MLG lol :P

that's harder to do in this game because locking on changes your roll to a dodge, which you may have seen. dodging is way more mobile than rolling and is definitely necessary in lots of fights. so rolling is even more MLG now

ROBO_ERECTUS
Sep 5, 2007

Let me take you for a ride.
I always try to lock on, though I admit playing without it is really useful for fighting some bosses and multiple enemies.
There's only 3 bosses I beat on my first try, Amygdala, Blood Letting Beast, and Moon Presence. Pretty drat satisfying.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

zen death robot posted:

Later enemies are harder but there is also a bug where if the game has been left on with the ps4 "rest mode" then the bosses AI get dumb as hell

I tried that in the defiled chalice dungeons and Amygdala didn't get any dumber for me. In fact I'd say she got harder cause then she started doing attacks that more or less made it a lot harder to hit her head. Results may vary, and they're supposedly fixing that in 1.03 (alongside improving load times).

Anyway, bosses that I beat first try:

Vicar Amelia
One Reborn
Darkbeast Paarl
Martyr Logarius
Celestial Emissary
Mergo's Wet Nurse
Both final bosses (I beat the first one and only needed 1 blood vial - beast claws bitch)
And a variety of chalice bosses

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

zen death robot posted:

Later enemies are harder but there is also a bug where if the game has been left on with the ps4 "rest mode" then the bosses AI get dumb as hell

thats a cool bug

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

seiferguy posted:

I tried that in the defiled chalice dungeons and Amygdala didn't get any dumber for me. In fact I'd say she got harder cause then she started doing attacks that more or less made it a lot harder to hit her head. Results may vary, and they're supposedly fixing that in 1.03 (alongside improving load times).

Vicar Amelia
One Reborn
Darkbeast Paarl
Martyr Logarius
Celestial Emissary
Mergo's Wet Nurse
Both final bosses (I beat the first one and only needed 1 blood vial - beast claws bitch)

drat you're cool. I died on every boss multiple times , and got angry at some of them lol.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

seiferguy posted:

Vicar Amelia
One Reborn
Darkbeast Paarl
Martyr Logarius
Celestial Emissary
Mergo's Wet Nurse

Bosses I beat first try:

Cleric Beast
Gascoigne
BSB
Paarl
Shadows
Witch
Emissary
Micolash
bunch of chalice bosses

Amelia made the the angriest of any boss. Like I know she's probably really easy but for some reason her pattern just fucks me every time

Harrow fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 17, 2015

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

My apologies I actually thought about it and did beat shadow of yharnam first try, but I was pretty over leveled i think, and those guys are one of the easier bosses.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

i got to martyr logarius and hes tough, too tough

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
It's weird because I struggled like crazy against the Shadows of Yharnam, but that's probably cause I tried to get everyone's health down equally instead of focusing on one of them at a time. Rom gave me tons of issues, and it wasn't until I got a goon who knew what he was doing to help me. Ironically I met Rom in the chalice dungeons later on, and he was super easy once I got my equipment set the way I needed it to be.

I still can't beat Ebrietas in the chalice dungeons.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

He's a powerful enemy and it's cool that he's just hanging out on the roof of his eternally snow blown castle

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

He's a powerful enemy and it's cool that he's just hanging out on the roof of his eternally snow blown castle

his boss intro is my favorite so far and he deserves it

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the only person you have to be angry with is yourself

Zodar
May 21, 2007

Logarius is cool because he could easily be a final boss fight in a different game. I think I was expecting something like him when I first reached Gwyn in DkS

e: between the castle rooftop backdrop and the scythe and the flying skull/blade magic, he's basically a Death fight from Castlevania

Zodar fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Apr 17, 2015

Dec 26, 2012

i think that's right because it depends on alfred

Dec 26, 2012

Harrow posted:

Bosses I beat first try:

Cleric Beast
Gascoigne
BSB
Paarl
Shadows
Witch
Emissary
Micolash
bunch of chalice bosses

Amelia made the the angriest of any boss. Like I know she's probably really easy but for some reason her pattern just fucks me every time

I had no issue with Amelia but I mostly spammed Ludwig sword charge attack which fucks everything

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

no you can get it anytime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Nanomashoes posted:

no you can get it anytime.

if I just kill Alfred, can I buy it?