Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Haha what europe is corrupt as gently caress and only getting worse. US style "lobby" bribery is becoming more and more common.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

Haha what europe is corrupt as gently caress and only getting worse. US style "lobby" bribery is becoming more and more common.

You're surprised Americans are behind the times on global politics?

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

This thread is about America's Asian-Fusion Europe. Our corruption is blatant and obvious but it's mistaken for incompetence instead of the huckster game it actually is.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

RuanGacho posted:

This thread is about America's Asian-Fusion Europe. Our corruption is blatant and obvious but it's mistaken for incompetence instead of the huckster game it actually is.

In glorious Soviet Cascadia, there will be no corruption, all will work in the field gatehering hops for the Tsar Bomba NWPA.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

reading posted:

Yet all the humans in Europe manage to avoid having legalized bribery! They even send their prime ministers to prison when they break the law!
And in Iceland they even managed to imprison criminal *gasp* bankers.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

foobardog posted:

In glorious Soviet Cascadia, there will be no corruption, all will work in the field gatehering hops for the Tsar Bomba NWPA.

My folks can provide tomatoes and lettuce for lunch time BLTs made with locally and humanely raised bacon!

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I just finished the Seattle march for $15 statewide, pretty good, then at the end a dozen people got arrested to protest Seattle Uni not supporting their teachers. I'm curious, what good does getting arrested do? It was just a sit-down then calmly walk with the police arrest too.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

reading posted:

Anytime you find yourself thinking "Well, it'd be great if we could implement this progressive policy, but companies would just find a loophole so we shouldn't even try" just remind yourself that it is 100% possible to find and close all loopholes and prevent all these shenanigans and actually write a really good law that works and then enforce it.

Salary caps aren't a good law, they're a feel good measure.

If you want to mandate good policy, just pay workers more. It's not hard.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

effectual posted:

I just finished the Seattle march for $15 statewide, pretty good, then at the end a dozen people got arrested to protest Seattle Uni not supporting their teachers. I'm curious, what good does getting arrested do? It was just a sit-down then calmly walk with the police arrest too.

It's about making a statement - this is important to us enough to get arrested for.

Lots of responsible protests (Working Washington is nearly always good about this) will actually plan the arrest with the police ahead of time - the group organizing the protest will have identified who is to be arrested ahead of time and they'll talk with the police about this is where the people to arrest will be, here's how many there will be, here's what they're going to do to warrant arrest, here's the lawyer that will ride along to the station with them and keep an eye on things, that kind of stuff. If the protesters are cool about it and the police are cool about it, you make your point and you avoid violence, the police give them some time to block traffic or civilly disobey or whatever before making the arrest so they can make their stand, the arrested folks get processed and released promptly and smoothly back at the station, it's just better for everyone involved.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

gohuskies posted:

It's about making a statement - this is important to us enough to get arrested for.

Lots of responsible protests (Working Washington is nearly always good about this) will actually plan the arrest with the police ahead of time - the group organizing the protest will have identified who is to be arrested ahead of time and they'll talk with the police about this is where the people to arrest will be, here's how many there will be, here's what they're going to do to warrant arrest, here's the lawyer that will ride along to the station with them and keep an eye on things, that kind of stuff. If the protesters are cool about it and the police are cool about it, you make your point and you avoid violence, the police give them some time to block traffic or civilly disobey or whatever before making the arrest so they can make their stand, the arrested folks get processed and released promptly and smoothly back at the station, it's just better for everyone involved.

I'm not sure I see the point when "important enough to get arrested for" has value in "things you can wow grandkids with" and literally nothing else at this point. Its a waste of both protester and police resources now too. If its routine and compassionate enough that it can be prearranged it ignores the whole essence of the thing. Either the establishment is sympathetic enough to be humane and work with you or they're not threatened enough that working with you doesn't matter to them.

It doesn't even get you a blurb on the local news anymore half the time.Its no longer MLK's civil rights era.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

FRINGE posted:

And in Iceland they even managed to imprison criminal *gasp* bankers.

The nation of Iceland has a smaller population than the city of Portland.

As fond as I am of Iceland, keep in mind that they are hardly a typical nation.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Awwww I live in North Seattle - District 5 and I just got my first city council door knocker. Some dude named Sandy Brown. I'm kind of annoyed about how obsessive he is about safety. Seattle is the safest city i've ever lived in. There's honestly nothing to be scared of around here and he put his whole emphasis on it. I hope its just a fluke or there are better alternatives.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Tigntink posted:

Awwww I live in North Seattle - District 5 and I just got my first city council door knocker. Some dude named Sandy Brown. I'm kind of annoyed about how obsessive he is about safety. Seattle is the safest city i've ever lived in. There's honestly nothing to be scared of around here and he put his whole emphasis on it. I hope its just a fluke or there are better alternatives.
There are a ton of people running there; you should have at least one or two good possibilities.

I'm stuck with either Jean Godden, or an old, white dude. I'm voting old, white dude because I refuse to vote for anyone who voted for the tunnel.

District 7 has it the worst, having only Sally Bagshaw to vote for. Districts 3 and 6 are at least easy; Kshama Sawant and Mike O'Brien are the two stand-outs for the council. Nick Licata is passable, but retiring.

Remember not to vote for Tim Burgess for the at-large seat; that guy is a huge fucker. He's in the pocket of SPOG and the DSA moreso than pretty much any of the other candidates, which is loving saying something. gently caress that guy.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

gohuskies posted:

...is this satire?

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

CaptainSarcastic posted:

The nation of Iceland has a smaller population than the city of Portland.

As fond as I am of Iceland, keep in mind that they are hardly a typical nation.
In this case that is both relevant and irrelevant.

It is irrelevant because the citizens of both countries wanted essentially the same thing.

It is relevant because the US has its size, geography, and day-to-day desperation used against it in order to ignore what the citizens want. :patriot:

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Republicans posted:

...is this satire?

tellers say of a beforetime when the tests weren't just another way fer th iggies t' boot us

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Republicans posted:

...is this satire?

It's Poe's Law Leftist edition.

Or maybe populists' edition.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Republicans posted:

...is this satire?

A lot of liberal organizations have gotten super collaborative with the people they're supposedly trying to battle. See also: union leadership partnering with corporations, environmental organizations trying to stop grassroots initiatives, and a bunch of worried hand-wringing about Democrats followed by unconditional support of them. Taking the "disobedience" out of "civil disobedience" is just part of that.

Probably all of the protestors who got arrested decided it was worth it prior to the event, but I know for at least the organization I'm part of they certainly didn't call up the cops ahead of time to let them know.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
So how about that WA state auditor? Seems like a bit of a dick. I was at the federal courthouse when he turned himself in yesterday. I didn't see the actual thing I was either walking through the lobby a couple minutes early or a couple minutes late but that place is normally a graveyard and there were tons of press yesterday.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
A baby got shot and a the freeway is literally filled with bees. Nobody cares about a little political corruption.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

oxbrain posted:

A baby got shot and a the freeway is literally filled with bees. Nobody cares about a little political corruption.

Not just shot, but shot in the face.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

oxbrain posted:

I am awaiting the anti bee spill protests.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

oxbrain posted:

Along with the guy who fell asleep in the cargo hold of an airplane, its been a weird couple of days.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Seattle is the new Florida.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

bees?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Trust the bees.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Semi-related because I love union talk, but the IAM discontinued their vote at the Boeing South Carolina plant because their organizers faced significant hostility. A few supporters had guns pointed at their head when they went door-to-door. Gotta love the south!

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

BEADS.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

seiferguy posted:

Semi-related because I love union talk, but the IAM discontinued their vote at the Boeing South Carolina plant because their organizers faced significant hostility. A few supporters had guns pointed at their head when they went door-to-door. Gotta love the south!

not really surprising, especially when they IAM was decertified *right* before boeing bought that facility from Vought/GA. funny how that happened right before they got their purchase in.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

BEADS?!

Bad Mr Frosty
Apr 25, 2012
How far north does California's drought go? Does it have a strong effect on say Redding, CA, or southern Or?

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Bad Mr Frosty posted:

How far north does California's drought go? Does it have a strong effect on say Redding, CA, or southern Or?

This seems to be a pretty good map http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/

The far tip of California's north coast is somewhat OK and continues to receive rain, otherwise the drought continues across the state. I assume the part of Oregon on the map is the drier parts of Oregon already, and wouldn't have the same impact on agriculture like in CA.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Pervis posted:

The far tip of California's north coast is somewhat OK and continues to receive rain, otherwise the drought continues across the state. I assume the part of Oregon on the map is the drier parts of Oregon already, and wouldn't have the same impact on agriculture like in CA.

Yeah, the red areas there are desert already; Medford might be affected but not nearly to the same degree as parts of California.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Medford is in the "moderate" shaded area. All that means is our annual month of rain was shorter than usual.

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

I don't want a nation just for me, I want a nation for everyone

Bad Mr Frosty posted:

Snowpack on mount hood is only at 24% of average. Snowpack at mountains in the cascades is also way below average. Things are OK now because precipitation has been close to average; it just wasn't snow. The effects won't be felt until the drier summer months when water levels are dependent on snowmelt.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

seiferguy posted:

The same thing happened for deep south Volkswagon plants even though Volkswagon management in pro-union, so it's not surprising.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747
So speaking of the California drought it looks like we might be shipping some of our water down, some people are even talking about a pipeline.

http://www.adn.com/article/20150414/long-anticipated-bulk-water-exports-sitka-start-summer-businessman-says

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Hasters posted:

So speaking of the California drought it looks like we might be shipping some of our water down, some people are even talking about a pipeline.

http://www.adn.com/article/20150414/long-anticipated-bulk-water-exports-sitka-start-summer-businessman-says

A pipeline just isn't cost effective. The best solution to California's water issues is mass conservation by those who use(waste) it the most: the farmers.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

There's a lot of conspiracy theorists in Canada who think "the world" is going to invade canada "for our water" but isn't water fairly hard to transport over long distances cost-effectively? I can't remember the reasons, but oil flows very differently from water when in a pressurized pipe which is why we don't have huge water pipelines like we do oil pipelines. That and outside of Dubai, oil is worth a bit more. If water became expensive enough that it would be economical to pipe down from Canada to California big-ag would already be hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Hasters posted:

William Shatner is already on it.

• Locked thread