Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

Hockles posted:

So, nobody older than 12 plays there, yeah?

If you're talking about maturity level, you're correct.

I can't wait for my game their Sunday on newly sharpened skates! I'm giddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

xzzy posted:

Dumb random question: dudes who rollerblade, is your forward stride different compared to being on ice? You know, like the "get your rear end low, bend the knees, do a full leg extension."

Because I was biking past some random dude rollerblading on the sidewalk today and he had zero knee bend. I figure he isn't really a skater and doesn't know what he's doing, but it got me wondering if the flat bottom of rollerblades forces a different technique than the curved edge of ice skates.

The last time I went rollerblading on a public path, any time I started to skate like normal I got going too fast for road conditions pretty much immediately.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pinky Artichoke posted:

The last time I went rollerblading on a public path, any time I started to skate like normal I got going too fast for road conditions pretty much immediately.

I never would have thought of that and probably sanded my face off on a curb somewhere.

Though my employer does have really nice sidewalks on site, they resurfaced them last summer and it's asphalt so there's no concrete cuts either. That's only half the commute but at least that bit would be nice.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

xzzy posted:

Great job, it already has a crack on the right side of the image.

thats because they haven't put the water over it the top of the image yet, that is just the paint + fabric logo

the best part is on my team alone we have several artistic (and a couple of autistic) people. We could have made this awesome. If they asked the whole league they would have had several professionals who could have knocked out something better in no time at all. oh well. I'm the second hockey skate on the rink after it's been frozen and the figure skaters don't get a crack until tomorrow I think.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Apr 15, 2015

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

I never would have thought of that and probably sanded my face off on a curb somewhere.

Though my employer does have really nice sidewalks on site, they resurfaced them last summer and it's asphalt so there's no concrete cuts either. That's only half the commute but at least that bit would be nice.

Yeah, I wouldn't rollerblade anywhere downtown Chicago that wasn't a bike path and a park. Cycling was rough enough. South Lakeshore was nice enough and not crowded, anything north of Navy Pier was packed.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
The forest preserves around Chicago are the best places to Rollerblade. Roads and sidewalks are really difficult. The lakefront path is a death trap anywhere between 31st and Belmont during the summer.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0f43321n94

Me on Monday night.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

The best part of that video was the Mooterus.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
My league game tonight is a forfeit because all but 3 people on my team are going to the Preds playoff game. The rink is managed by the Preds, I feel like they should have been more open to rescheduling.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Hockles posted:

Hah I had forgotten how awful those things were.

Also I love how you lead in with the jockstrap quote before your performance, HZ :golfclap:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Thufir posted:

My league game tonight is a forfeit because all but 3 people on my team are going to the Preds playoff game. The rink is managed by the Preds, I feel like they should have been more open to rescheduling.

LA Kings policy is SCF games get rescheduled, otherwise you play on. We had a game with the radio broadcast playing over the speakers.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Hockles posted:

I forgot all about those jerseys til I was cutting up that clip last night.

Duke Chin posted:

Also I love how you lead in with the jockstrap quote before your performance, HZ :golfclap:

100% intentional.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

100% intentional.

Oh I figured. I was just :golfclap:ing your editing/juxtaposition. The je ne sais quoi of it all.

Also, I'm pretty sure I'm cursed at this point. All goddamn season long I've witnessed (and complained) about, what should have been routine saves for Tuukka, go flying past him because they end up deflected off of one of his defenseman in front.

2nd shift on Monday night? Yep, felt a slapper from the outside of the circle bounce off my thigh and hear :doink: [CHEERS] behind me. Right off my leg to the outside post.

goddamnit it. :argh:

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

sellouts posted:

LA Kings policy is SCF games get rescheduled, otherwise you play on. We had a game with the radio broadcast playing over the speakers.

Sharks Ice was super accommodating when we had a league game coincide with the LA/SJ outdoor game.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Ridiculous weekend coming up :toot:

One game today, 2-3 tomorrow, and one Sunday. Today and tomorrow are for a tournament and Sunday is my regular beer league. Monday is going to hurt so good

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Just got the news, my team qualified for the last spot in the playoffs. Our win last Saturday earned us our first trip back to the playoffs in 18 months. We get the honor of being stomped on by the #1 team too. Pretty sweet regardless since last week was my first game back from a knee injury, and none of us thought we would qualify. Of course my knee has felt like poo poo since that game last week, so I may end up on a stretcher after the playoff game.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Hurt my knee at soccer last night, not too bad but enough that I'm not going to go to the drop-in hockey game with my friends tonight. Hopefully it'll feel better for my last LTP class tomorrow, and especially for my league try-in on Wednesday. My first thought when it happened was "if this fucks up hockey for me at all I'm never playing soccer again"

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

Loqieu posted:

Just got the news, my team qualified for the last spot in the playoffs. Our win last Saturday earned us our first trip back to the playoffs in 18 months. We get the honor of being stomped on by the #1 team too. Pretty sweet regardless since last week was my first game back from a knee injury, and none of us thought we would qualify. Of course my knee has felt like poo poo since that game last week, so I may end up on a stretcher after the playoff game.

Hey you never know, as far as getting stomped that is. We played the first place team in the last game of the regular season and lost 9-2 and then played them first round of the playoffs and only lost 4-2 so there is hope!

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009
Any other Canadian goons playing in the ASHL playoffs in Burnaby in a few weeks?

My team from ASHL - Armstrong will be making the trip. Starts May 1 I believe.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

prom candy posted:

Hurt my knee at soccer last night, not too bad but enough that I'm not going to go to the drop-in hockey game with my friends tonight. Hopefully it'll feel better for my last LTP class tomorrow, and especially for my league try-in on Wednesday. My first thought when it happened was "if this fucks up hockey for me at all I'm never playing soccer again"

I played soccer the other night and hockey last night. It was the first time in awhile we played outdoors. I got a really bad cramp in my calf that I've never had before. No soccer for me till they close the rink!

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

"You better not buy me that goddamn tourist av"

Got a shin splint running the other night while training for a race in May. Does anyone have recommendations for skate inserts? I played a pickup game with the splints because it doesn't agitate them but I want some extra cushion until they get better.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I picked up yellow Superfeet inserts based off of feedback in this thread a long time back and they've done well for me. I've used them for a few years now.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
After a little tweaking and a realization, I've come to probably the final version of the new jerseys I'm gonna order:

And any names on the back are going to be variations of "Johnson", "Wang", "Pecker", etc.

Bootcha fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Apr 18, 2015

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
I'm 3 out of 4 hockey games in for the weekend and I feel goddamn amazing. I also think I might've pulled something in my groin a little bit so I guess it's time to take it easy

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I got worked last night in a pickup. Part of it was due to 4v4 but drat I haven't been that exhausted and embarrassed in a long time.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I played like dog poo poo last night. I mean we all know I'm bad at hockey, but even for me I was bad.

I hate going into a game hyped to play and loving up every single opportunity I had to do something positive.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

xzzy posted:

I played like dog poo poo last night. I mean we all know I'm bad at hockey, but even for me I was bad.

I hate going into a game hyped to play and loving up every single opportunity I had to do something positive.

That was me at this tournament until pretty much the last game. They moved me up to wing, which I haven't played in over a year, and with the muscle pull I couldn't skate nearly as fast as I usually do, so I spent most of the tournament just barely missing chances, like stealing it from a player behind their net as the goalie rushed back and trying to wraparound backhand it in only for the goalie to just barely scratch the puck enough to make it ding off the far post and out

Finally in the very last game I got a great stretch pass with no defenders covering me, flew into their zone and shot it past the goalie, blocker side. We were down 0-2 at that point and my goal started a 4 goal run. We eventually ended up tying them 5-5 but goddamn did it feel like a good finish to the tournament

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

sellouts posted:

I got worked last night in a pickup. Part of it was due to 4v4 but drat I haven't been that exhausted and embarrassed in a long time.

How's the ice? Our game tonight's at 9.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Ice is great. Team forfeited at 145 so I skated then (we have a bye this week).

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
I played D all game tonight (first time for a full game) because our team is nothing but subs and we roll a 20 sided die to see how many people show up I guess. Being able to see the lines helped be out, but I tripped on them a lot! Good thing Acethomas was my pairing, if I'm sore he's gotta be dying, after all the chasing after everyone that blew by me he had to do.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I've never seen a guy crack both blades of his skates but it happened today and he was able to keep skating which was really weird.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Played one of the most physical games I've ever been a part of. One of their guys got a double minor for checking a guy in a no hit league then before the pay speed he took a two handed chop to one players calf.

They go up 6 -2 and the game is close to over with about 5 minutes left in the third. I'm standing on front of the net and start getting loving pummeled, and more so than expected for non checking hockey. I get my stick chopped out of my hand and it gets deliberately swept into the corner. Same poo poo head guy (who conveniently wearing a tinted visor, yellow laces and chewing on a mouthpiece) from before continues to crosscheck the poo poo out of my lower back and hits me down to the ice. I try to get up and feel a stick in my neck and back every time I go to get up. As I stand up he stomps the top of my loving foot and slices my laces. I turn around and he cross checks me one more time before the ref finally calls it. It took every bone in my body not to kill that gently caress. God I hate terrible people.

My game last night was great though ... and super clean.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

did you forget the beer or something? i cant believe that if that poo poo really happened someone wasn't there at least tying the guy up or intervening somehow.

lets see a pic of those laces tho. i am guessing you took a pic to send to the league, because gently caress stomping

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
It was all during a play in their zone. We were cycling the puck around the offensive zone for what felt like a long time so everyone else on my team and the ref were probably paying attention to the puck/play rather than the shenanigans in front of the net. This team is widely known for being notoriously dirty poo poo bags and overly physical in a non-checking league. He had been to the box a few times already and was standing and yelling inside the box every time. The ref has a Russian/polish accent and this kid was telling him to learn english and how to officiate. I'm very surprised he didn't get tossed. I completely understand the consequences of standing in front of the net. I accept getting pushed, stick lifted, tied up etc.

He claimed I was slashing him in the legs even though I didn't have a stick in my hands. In the handshake line I congratulated their goalie on a great game, laughed with the 2 nice guys on their team and then pulled that kid aside. He was quick to get chummy and say that it was someone else that slashed him and that he thought it was me. "Yeah sorry, it must have been someone else, I'm just a poo poo sometimes ... we're all good bro". He had no idea how badly I wanted to punch him in the throat.

I'm a very mellow person and I don't get scrappy. I have to work in the morning and I'm not about to get kicked out of the league or have charges pressed because I got into a fight. In the 2 years I've played in this league I've never seen the inside of the penalty box. It takes a lot for me to snap but I was close to accepting a penalty/suspension for laying this kid out. The wife of our captain video tapes our games so I'll be curious to see what it looks like on video and if it went down like I remembered. I'm not opposed to sending something to the league because its only a matter of time before this kid hurts someone.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
You are a loving saint. If I got the neck checking and leg stomping treatment from that cocksucker I would probably be suspended right now for trying to drive his head through the crossbar.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

On Saturday night, I was walking around the rear of the rink to stick my gopro behind the glass. As I walk over it, I hear a awful CRUUUNNNNNNCHHHHHH. It seems as if I hit the only patch of concrete that wasn't padded around the rink. Ugh.

I step on the ice, try to push off and my skates just slip everywhere. The game was about to start so I didn't have time to go get an emergency sharpening. Also, they charge $15 for on-the-spot, so no. Needless to say, I did not skate well that game.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 20, 2015

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I'm not one for goon justice eye for an eye bullshit in men's league, but I would be saying something to my team. Getting kicked around in the front of the net is to be expected. What happened is beyond that. Someone on the team needs to have their head up to see this happening and step in.

I'm not saying fight the dude or retaliate but going in there and grabbing the guys stick would probably go to at least gettng you out of there. Or grab the top of the dudes shoulder pads below his chin and tell him to relax. Just anything to reset the situation and change up the lines.

I also try to be mr mayor in the leagues I'm in so I'd ask the other captain what the guys deal is but I understand a lot of people make that impossible.

communist kangaroo
Oct 2, 2006

those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, i have koalas.
I like it when people from the other team are nice to me during face-offs and make comments about it being a good night for hockey and the like, I just stand there and stare at any small tussles that break out during the game

I am a bad competitor

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
In that situation you truck the guy and then skate straight to the box, better chance of hurting him and you dont get suspended

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

communist kangaroo posted:

I like it when people from the other team are nice to me during face-offs and make comments about it being a good night for hockey and the like, I just stand there and stare at any small tussles that break out during the game

That's pretty much me. We had a bit of a tussle on Saturday and I was on the ice, I just backed off to center ice while everyone was shouting at each other.

I just can't get mad at hacks and slashes, I'm sure there's a point where I would get mad but no one's yet targeted me in any way. If a fight did break out I guess I might grab a jersey to keep other people from joining in but that's about as involved as I want to be.