Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Amergin posted:

I'm sorry, have you met the Average Voter?

The average voter is incredibly stupid and misinformed, I agree. I don't see what your point is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

Skwirl posted:

I don't think many people in Iran are ordering bacon cheeseburgers.

No wonder they so angry. Death to America and the lack of kosher hog products.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Lemming posted:

The average voter is incredibly stupid and misinformed, I agree. I don't see what your point is.

the average voter also doesn't let those facts stop them from having strong opinions about things. that's all he was saying.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Ralepozozaxe posted:

The US telling other countries to go for cleaner sources of energy is really funny. And as far as I heard, sanctions are ineffective. Just look at out piddly little sanctions on Russia.

^^The Iranian people are for the most part fine with the US (most even like us). Rick Steves did a good travel show on Iran.

Actually the Russian sanctions are doing pretty well because the oil crash was well timed (thanks illuminati) and it prevented rapid reinvestment away from oil in Russia and thus causing the rich to actually some lose money.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Skwirl posted:

I don't think many people in Iran are ordering bacon cheeseburgers.

This may surprise you, but atheist Persians walk among us. (they get mad when people think they are Hispanic.)

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Accretionist posted:

Drakegrim is a retarded person. Why are you all wasting time talking to him when there's a national tragedy unfolding right now?

Rolled semi spills 14 million bees on I-5 near Lynnwood

14 million bees. This is one of the worst disasters I've ever seen.

This does highlight a big issue with our lack of pollenators. We gotta ship 'em around to make sure crops grow right.

az
Dec 2, 2005

Xibanya posted:

This may surprise you, but atheist Persians walk among us. (they get mad when people think they are Hispanic.)

Bacon jokes aside, I met two secular Persian sisters from Tehran doing a year in Frankfurt and they wanted to try all the local foods, pork and all. They also didn't understand why the west, this was in 2008, was so crazy about Ahmadinejad. They considered him nothing but a party clown barking at old mean america for attention.

drakegrim
Mar 26, 2015

They are just trying to troll, let them im laughing.

Even if Nato gave them chemical bombs, still does not make it right, and why is it the sanctions continued after 1995 then? Executive Order 12957 that's why, why trade oil to our enemy?

we are all stupid voters, and if we where not, we would actually be making a difference in politics, although there are a lot of moronic politicians as well.

But i am waiting on an answer from some one on why helping them with clean efficient technology would be such a bad idea? Dubai is making great use of it "loving awesome place BTW, i went skiing in their indoor ski resort when i was serving"

drakegrim fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Apr 17, 2015

drakegrim
Mar 26, 2015

Ralepozozaxe posted:

The US telling other countries to go for cleaner sources of energy is really funny. And as far as I heard, sanctions are ineffective. Just look at out piddly little sanctions on Russia.

^^The Iranian people are for the most part fine with the US (most even like us). Rick Steves did a good travel show on Iran.

I am not sure if the Russians are in their economic collapse right now because of the sanctions, but i am sure it may have helped. Timing was too good.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

drakegrim posted:

I am not sure if the Russians are in their economic collapse right now because of the sanctions, but i am sure it may have helped. Timing was too good.
The sanctions did have some impact but the collapse of oil prices was a much bigger contributor.

drakegrim
Mar 26, 2015

JT Jag posted:

The sanctions did have some impact but the collapse of oil prices was a much bigger contributor.

true, forgot about that, Taping new oil reserves in the us "which was controversial for a period last year",

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

drakegrim posted:

But i am waiting on an answer from some one on why helping them with clean efficient technology would be such a bad idea? Dubai is making great use of it "loving awesome place BTW, i went skiing in their indoor ski resort when i was serving"

Because nuclear is actually slightly cleaner and much more reliable. Also that indoor ski resort was probably powered by burning oil and the UAE emits more carbon per capita than the US, China or India. http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/EN.ATM.CO2E.PC?order=wbapi_data_value_2010+wbapi_data_value+wbapi_data_value-first&sort=desc

drakegrim
Mar 26, 2015

Munkeymon posted:

Because nuclear is actually slightly cleaner and much more reliable. Also that indoor ski resort was probably powered by burning oil and the UAE emits more carbon per capita than the US, China or India. http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/EN.ATM.CO2E.PC?order=wbapi_data_value_2010+wbapi_data_value+wbapi_data_value-first&sort=desc

i wonder if that sheet includes refining crude oil as that creates a poo poo load of carbon emissions as well.

UAE effort on doubling solar production
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-01-15/acwa-power-wins-contract-to-build-dubai-solar-plant-acwa-ceo

drakegrim fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Apr 17, 2015

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

"drakegrim" posted:

Fever dream whats it mean I don't know maybe it's blow

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

drakegrim posted:

i wonder if that sheet includes refining crude oil as that creates a poo poo load of carbon emissions as well.

AUE effort on doubling solar production
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-01-15/acwa-power-wins-contract-to-build-dubai-solar-plant-acwa-ceo

quote:

Dubai plans to build 1,000 megawatts of solar capacity by 2030, enough to meet 5 percent of its forecast electricity needs that year

Oh man they're really Making A Difference there.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Anyone notice that 5dimes lists the Republican National Convention and Democratic National Convention as happening in July of 2015? Do they know something we don't?

drakegrim
Mar 26, 2015

Munkeymon posted:

Oh man they're really Making A Difference there.

i didn't say it was perfect, everything requires a step though.

o ya you forgot to mention the 200 megawatt in saudi.

"ACWA will sell electricity from the plant to DEWA at 5.85 cents per kilowatt-hour, a price that will be “the lowest by far” for solar power globally and among the cheapest from other sources, Paddy Padmanathan, the Riyadh-based company’s CEO, said in an interview.?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Chamale posted:

Anyone notice that 5dimes lists the Republican National Convention and Democratic National Convention as happening in July of 2015? Do they know something we don't?

Numbers expect Hillary to just get the nomination most likely. Republicans will want to close poo poo out early, but that's impossible.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

drakegrim posted:

what about the Iran Supreme leader saying "death to america" just a month ago? that does not throw up any red flags?

what about the US senator saying "bomb iran" just, uh, let me check my watch, ago? that does not throw up any red flags?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

az posted:

They also didn't understand why the west, this was in 2008, was so crazy about Ahmadinejad. They considered him nothing but a party clown barking at old mean america for attention.

That's because Ahmadinejad was basically Persian George W. Bush in that sense. I heard similar takes from folks I went to school with, the general view of the guy among Iranian students was that he had a lot of fans among the old, lovely, often rural, conservative folks and used the rhetoric of fear and anger to mobilize their support, but he (and they) knew he'd lose his job (and maybe more than that) if he tried dragging the country into war. It was this weird double-think way to see it but I guess that's what happens when greater authority rests in the theocratic side of the government. There wasn't the same fear that he'd haul off and successfully do anything rash, because the Islamic part of the Islamic Republic would just strip him of power and replace him in a heartbeat. He knew that, but was at heart a politician and knew how to keep people Mad About poo poo. So it was a balancing act.

I don't know how folks view Khamenei in detail but it really came off like they saw the council/assembly/supreme as interested in a balance between stability and their own power.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Middle East discussions sure are important right now, after Hillary Clinton's big announcement.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Chiptole Week: And there's the media's inadvertent punch line: It's Clinton who's guilty of emphasizing "theater over substance."

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Radbot posted:

Exactly. EMTs get paid under $10/hr in many areas - gently caress the gently caress off with patronizing bullshit about them being heroes when you pay them the same as a McDonalds employee.

Seriously, EMS - especially privately run EMS companies are loving abusive unsafe shitshows in so many ways. I have a friend who works for a private ambulance service and they're horribly understaffed, overworked and underpaid.

Remember the next time you see a private ambulance on the roads that there are good odds the driver is operating on only a few hours of sleep at most in the past 24-48 hours.

E: I know it's just trolling for trolling's sake, but the notion that people who work fast food are somehow lazy or undeserving infuriates me. I live with a guy who works two jobs, one day as a school cafeteria cook, one night shift as a McDonalds floor manager and he works insanely hard on a terrible sleep schedule just to stay afloat - much less find a way to get a "real" career or improve his lot beyond hoping that his bosses throw him a few more table scraps.

ATP_Power fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Apr 17, 2015

drakegrim
Mar 26, 2015

ATP_Power posted:

Seriously, EMS - especially privately run EMS companies are loving abusive unsafe shitshows in so many ways. I have a friend who works for a private ambulance service and they're horribly understaffed, overworked and underpaid.

Remember the next time you see a private ambulance on the roads that there are good odds the driver is operating on only a few hours of sleep at most in the past 24-48 hours.

what a loving shame and so underpaid too.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

drakegrim posted:

They are just trying to troll, let them im laughing.

Even if Nato gave them chemical bombs, still does not make it right, and why is it the sanctions continued after 1995 then? Executive Order 12957 that's why, why trade oil to our enemy?

we are all stupid voters, and if we where not, we would actually be making a difference in politics, although there are a lot of moronic politicians as well.

But i am waiting on an answer from some one on why helping them with clean efficient technology would be such a bad idea? Dubai is making great use of it "loving awesome place BTW, i when skiing in their indoor ski resort when i was serving"

While the original tensions with Iran primarily stem from Cold War-related stuff, the US's support of Israel and Saudi Arabia has placed its strategic interests in the region against Iran's even after the Soviet Union collapsed and Saddam was no longer aligned with us. That's why the sanctions have continued and even escalated.

There isn't anything wrong with helping them with solar power, it's just not the issue at hand. You are talking about Iran in the language of what "we allow them" to do or "help them" to do as if they are technically unable, which is part of the problem; they are a sovereign nation with as much right to nuclear power as anybody else and the ability to develop and use it safely. You're under the impression that Iran isn't allowed any centrifuges now because Israel has a habit of bombing their facilities as though they are operating the equipment illegally and faces no real consequences for what would otherwise be an act of war due to the protection of the US, creating the image that Israel's actions are legal and Iran's illegal. By enacting a deal under which everyone agrees that a certain level of nuclear activity is diplomatically acceptable, everyone (except Israel I guess) wins; the US gets the oversight over the Iranian program that it wants and Iran gets a nuclear program that it doesn't have to locate exclusively in bunkers under very solid mountains to deter bombing. Additionally, by eliminating most of the suspicion surrounding their nuclear program, Iran gets to ditch their perception in the West as a "rogue nation" and interact with the West economically and socially to a much higher degree, which is increasingly a desire of the Iranian people that their government seems to understand they must go along with eventually. Besides all of this, the US and Iran now have some shared strategic goals in the region while increasingly Israel and KSA are not fully aligned with the interests of the US; not trying to begin some kind of reconciliation process with Iran would be a strategic mistake.

Nonsense posted:

Middle East discussions sure are important right now, after Hillary Clinton's big announcement.

Oh boy, she released details on whether she got a 20oz. or 32oz. drink at Chipotle? Finally!

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

ATP_Power posted:

Hopefully they will benefit from a general wage increase, if their employers are going to patronize them and pay them as little as possible regardless of people finding out in general a lot of difficult work is paid about the same rate as fast-food workers, but fast-food workers are leading the charge. I hope more workers in general stop being crabs, and start figuring out everybody is getting hosed with wages so low.

drakegrim
Mar 26, 2015

hobbesmaster posted:

what about the US senator saying "bomb iran" just, uh, let me check my watch, ago? that does not throw up any red flags?

it should thus halting any negotiations. was that the answer you where looking for?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

drakegrim posted:

i didn't say it was perfect, everything requires a step though.

o ya you forgot to mention the 200 megawatt in saudi.

"ACWA will sell electricity from the plant to DEWA at 5.85 cents per kilowatt-hour, a price that will be “the lowest by far” for solar power globally and among the cheapest from other sources, Paddy Padmanathan, the Riyadh-based company’s CEO, said in an interview.?

200 MW is a rounding error on any sizable grid - it's ~1/3 of one newish nuclear reactor's output and they usually put multiple reactors on the same site.

The point is that a place that's obscenely wealthy, sun-soaked and uses what's basically slave labor to build everything can't do better than hoping to get 5% of their power form the sun someday doesn't make a terribly great case for solar power in general let alone in the middle east.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

drakegrim posted:

it should thus halting any negotiations. was that the answer you where looking for?

Negotiations are done by the President, it is exclusively his privilege, it is the Senate's right to then poo poo all over it once negotiations are done.

Stop pretending you know what you're talking about.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

drakegrim posted:

Was actually going for "private diplomatic discussions should remain separate from dumb political posturing" but I suppose that works too.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Nonsense posted:

Hopefully they will benefit from a general wage increase, if their employers are going to patronize them and pay them as little as possible regardless of people finding out in general a lot of difficult work is paid about the same rate as fast-food workers, but fast-food workers are leading the charge. I hope more workers in general stop being crabs, and start figuring out everybody is getting hosed with wages so low.

It's depressingly ironic that those who champion the "free market" so hard refuse to acknowledge labor's role in a market system and instead work to crush the ability of laborers to compete and organize in the same way that capital and corporate interests do.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Obama should hold a press conference and preface each thing he says he's going to do with what part of article II lets him do it.

drakegrim
Mar 26, 2015

Nonsense posted:

I am not trying to troll, so keep that in mind.

It takes almost no intelligence at all to work as a fast food server, nor skill. lets compare this to EMT's.

1.) EMT's need to understand life saving procedures, react quick in a fast pace situation, understand basic medicine, and be able to medical language to nurses and doctors.
2.) Fast food workers need to know how to work the equipment that makes the food for you. There is no "flipping hamburgers anymore" as everything is now pre-made. Managers are not in this example.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

drakegrim posted:

It takes almost no intelligence at all to work as a fast food server, nor skill. lets compare this to EMT's.

1.) EMT's need to understand life saving procedures, react quick in a fast pace situation, understand basic medicine, and be able to medical language to nurses and doctors.
2.) Fast food workers need to know how to work the equipment that makes the food for you. There is no "flipping hamburgers anymore" as everything is now pre-made. Managers are not in this example.

You are trolling, also it doesn't matter what you write because they're going to be paid poo poo. Until wages rise there is no getting around that.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

drakegrim posted:

It takes almost no intelligence at all to work as a fast food server, nor skill.

Why on loving earth does this disqualify fast food workers from a living wage in your mind? A job is a job, and if you work full-time you should make enough money to not have to kill yourself working at a second or even third job.

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 17, 2015

drakegrim
Mar 26, 2015

ATP_Power posted:

It's depressingly ironic that those who champion the "free market" so hard refuse to acknowledge labor's role in a market system and instead work to crush the ability of laborers to compete and organize in the same way that capital and corporate interests do.

what you are forgetting is Example: Investors/CEO/Startups require a huge amount of risk and responsibility to business/company, everyone whom works their, legal issues, etc. The factory worker just has to show up and work the machine and call it a day.

But that workers can take advantage of capitalism and go to school and move up in the ranks of that business or company.

drakegrim
Mar 26, 2015

Alter Ego posted:

Putting aside the fact that it does take some degree of skill not to gently caress up flipping burgers, why on loving earth does this disqualify fast food workers from a living wage in your mind?

Nonsense posted:

You are trolling, also it doesn't matter what you write because they're going to be paid poo poo. Until wages rise there is no getting around that.

$7.25 is a poo poo wage and it should be increase, but i think 15 is stretching it. I am not an economics major and cannot answer the question with accurate assessment, but i think 10 and hour is reasonable and fair.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

drakegrim posted:

what you are forgetting is Example: Investors/CEO/Startups require a huge amount of risk and responsibility to business/company, everyone whom works their, legal issues, etc. The factory worker just has to show up and work the machine and call it a day.

But that workers can take advantage of capitalism and go to school and move up in the ranks of that business or company.

The only way this would be possible is if you had an incredible rate of turnover in every industry, preventing anyone from developing work experience. I sure would like to work for a company for six months as a manufacturing engineer, then for another one for another six months as an accountant, etc. just so everyone could be CEO for a while.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

But ten dollars isn't a livable wage. Surely we can agree that, no matter how "easy" a person's job is, they still deserve a living wage right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

drakegrim posted:

$7.25 is a poo poo wage and it should be increase, but i think 15 is stretching it. I am not an economics major and cannot answer the question with accurate assessment, but i think 10 and hour is reasonable and fair.
What are your thoughts regarding a $10 minimum wage that is automatically adjusted for inflation and cost-of-living every five or 10 years?

• Locked thread