Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pixelated Dragon posted:

They were both being dicks to each other. I don't think there's ever any reason to ride someone's rear end when you're doing like 80. If I encounter a slowpoke in any lane and I want to get around them then it's ultimately my responsibility to pass them because I can't force someone to go faster.

Speed is irrelevant, the left lane is for passing. If someone comes up behind a car in the left lane it doesn't matter how fast anyone is going, the correct move is to get the gently caress out of the way so faster traffic can move on.

Let the cops deal with the speeding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Pixelated Dragon posted:

My husband was driving already like 10 over in the left lane when some jackass in a brotruck pulls up behind us and starts riding our asses. He didn't have room to just pass us on the right or something. Husband brake-checked him. In response he flashed his high beams and I think he got even closer.

Husband spent the next 30 minutes or so trapping him next to tractor-trailers and keeping him from passing by speeding up/slowing down. I was like, "Seriously? This guy is probably going to shoot us!"

Your husband is an rear end in a top hat and you're that person who sits at green lights. Do you live near any other goons, some of the other posts in this thread may be about the two of you :downsbravo:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Pixelated Dragon posted:

My husband is an rear end in a top hat you share the road with.

Yup. Tell him to knock that the gently caress off and get out of the hammer lane. The law is "slower traffic keep right", by definition if you are holding someone up, you are slower and should move right for them, says nothing about how fast over the limit you have to be going before you can prevent others from going faster.

In my state (MA) it's a 2 point, $100 fine violation of MVC 89-2 or 89-4 depending on how the ticket is written, which is every bit as harsh as a 10mph over the limit ticket, so he can't even say he was breaking the law less than the other guy.

e: was wrong about which statutes, fixed for other rules lawyers. Worth noting is that 89-3 says you can ride a sleigh on a public road in my state as long as it has at least 3 bells somewhere on the harness. Move the gently caress over, Santa.

kastein fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Apr 17, 2015

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Pixelated Dragon posted:

My husband was driving already like 10 over in the left lane when some jackass in a brotruck pulls up behind us and starts riding our asses. He didn't have room to just pass us on the right or something. Husband brake-checked him. In response he flashed his high beams and I think he got even closer.

Husband spent the next 30 minutes or so trapping him next to tractor-trailers and keeping him from passing by speeding up/slowing down. I was like, "Seriously? This guy is probably going to shoot us!"

Your husband needs to have his license revoked.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

xzzy posted:

Speed is irrelevant, the left lane is for passing. If someone comes up behind a car in the left lane it doesn't matter how fast anyone is going, the correct move is to get the gently caress out of the way so faster traffic can move on.

Let the cops deal with the speeding.
I agree, but sometimes you do encounter that jackass who won't move to the slower lane to let faster traffic pass. In this case, the correct response is to pass Pixelated Dragon's husband and hope he doesn't start flashing brights at you for being a speed demon maniac. Or cutting you off and preventing you from passing because you're obviously going :siren: too fast :siren:.

(And even if the faster car is a maniac, I'd rather have the maniac in front of me & driving away from me quickly than tailgating me. Let faster cars pass you, it's lower stress for everyone involved.)

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
Also those are the guys who will neatly flush out any police waiting up the road. Moving over for assholes doing 100 is the reason I can be the rear end in a top hat doing 90.

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

Do you remember how we used to breathe and watch it
and feel such power and feel such joy, to be ice dragons and be so free. -Noe Venable

Pham Nuwen posted:

Your husband is an rear end in a top hat and you're that person who sits at green lights. Do you live near any other goons, some of the other posts in this thread may be about the two of you :downsbravo:

Probably. Especially when people people complain about really rude, aggressive drivers. I think to myself that it sounds like my husband.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

Also those are the guys who will neatly flush out any police waiting up the road. Moving over for assholes doing 100 is the reason I can be the rear end in a top hat doing 90.

Yup. I had great fun trolling some prick in a 750Li with feelings of inadequacy this morning and got to work probably ten minutes early as a result.

He only knew how to smash the gas, cut people off, tailgate people, and flash his brights, and all I could see while following him was people's brake lights. Once in a while he'd slow back down so I'd tweak him again by daring to pass him in my plebmobile :v:

(I didn't cut anyone off, tailgate, or piss anyone off, no one flashed their brights at me, either.)

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

kastein posted:

Yup. I had great fun trolling some prick in a 750Li with feelings of inadequacy this morning and got to work probably ten minutes early as a result.

He only knew how to smash the gas, cut people off, tailgate people, and flash his brights, and all I could see while following him was people's brake lights. Once in a while he'd slow back down so I'd tweak him again by daring to pass him in my plebmobile :v:

(I didn't cut anyone off, tailgate, or piss anyone off, no one flashed their brights at me, either.)

I think this is one of my favorite things to do on the road, troll people. It's SO easy in New England to get someone all riled up.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Driving in NYC in a beater battle wagon is by far the best for that. I was stuck in traffic one day on i95 heading into the city back in 2011 and there was a 3-2 merge for a construction zone ahead. I was in the left lane, bumper to bumper traffic, in my white MJ. I made the mistake of daring to allow a trucker to finally get into my lane at the merge since it'd improve traffic flow and the fat guido in the blinged out black Escalade behind me absolutely lost his poo poo. Screaming, middle fingers, flashing lights, horn, tailgating, the whole nine yards.

So I waved and took off. He continued to tailgate me and freak out, then passed me and brake checked me hard. Fortunately I was expecting it so I was already on the brakes before he even changed lanes, and never came close.

He was PISSED when I passed him because he had no idea how to navigate traffic without pissing people off. It might have been the fact that I pointed and laughed as I went by...

I got brake checked again, prevented a collision again, then he threw his iced latte out the window at me. The truck was completely coated in mud so I swerved to catch it on the hood and flashed him a thumbs up, which did nothing to improve his mood but cracked me up.

Then I used him as a rolling radar catcher until he got off the highway. :haw:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

kastein posted:

In my state (MA) it's a 2 point, $100 fine violation of MVC 89-2 or 89-4 depending on how the ticket is written, which is every bit as harsh as a 10mph over the limit ticket, so he can't even say he was breaking the law less than the other guy

And I'll wager that you can count on one hand the number of tickets issued annually in the entire state for violations of that statute. "Slower traffic keep right" laws might as well be written in some dead language considering how rarely they're enforced.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Geoj posted:

And I'll wager that you can count on one hand the number of tickets issued annually in the entire state for violations of that statute. "Slower traffic keep right" laws might as well be written in some dead language considering how rarely they're enforced.

I dunno, I've never gotten one but I have two written warnings for that...

First one: I was driving home from work at 2AM, stone cold sober, wanted to keep as much space between the kamikaze deer and myself as possible. Officer used it as a DUI check pretense stop, I was sober so he justified the stop with a written warning. Whatever don't care.
Second one: I was driving home from work at 3AM, stone cold sober (notice a pattern here?) in a HIGHWAY SAFETY CORRIDOR* and people who couldn't maintain speed to save their lives were in the other lanes. Again, DUI check pretense stop, written warning since I was sober. Don't care.

* HIGHWAY SAFETY CORRIDOR = we are going to cite the gently caress out of people on this stretch to prove a point!

Philosophical question - if you are literally the only car on the road, are you the slower or the faster traffic? Do you keep right or left? If someone fails to keep right and no police officer is there to see them, do they still get a written warning for it?

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
I had to start taking a different way home because I would get off work between midnight and 2 AM. I'd be the only car on the road and cops would flip u-turns just to pull me over and give me the rundown. The same cop pulled me over 3 times in the course of a month.

Pixelated Dragon
Jan 22, 2007

Do you remember how we used to breathe and watch it
and feel such power and feel such joy, to be ice dragons and be so free. -Noe Venable

Haifisch posted:

I agree, but sometimes you do encounter that jackass who won't move to the slower lane to let faster traffic pass. In this case, the correct response is to pass Pixelated Dragon's husband and hope he doesn't start flashing brights at you for being a speed demon maniac. Or cutting you off and preventing you from passing because you're obviously going :siren: too fast :siren:.

(And even if the faster car is a maniac, I'd rather have the maniac in front of me & driving away from me quickly than tailgating me. Let faster cars pass you, it's lower stress for everyone involved.)

He didn't care about the fact that the guy behind him wanted to go really fast, he was just pissy that the guy behind him was tailgating him for so long instead of just passing on the right which is not illegal in our state as long as you pass in an actual lane instead of a shoulder. The problem is that particular stretch of the freeway in that area is usually full of people content to go 10-15 under in the right lane. People like to drive slowly near Rochester?

Anyway, my husband is a jerk behind the wheel and I hate being a passenger with him because he's that guy people complain about here.

Pixelated Dragon fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 17, 2015

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Yeah, passing on the right is legal on most interstates in most states, but holding the left lane is still illegal so he still should have gotten out of the way.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Pixelated Dragon posted:

He didn't care about the fact that the guy behind him wanted to go really fast, he was just pissy that the guy behind him was tailgating him for so long instead of just passing on the right which is not illegal in our state as long as you pass in an actual lane instead of a shoulder. The problem is that particular stretch of the freeway in that area is usually full of people content to go 10-15 under in the right lane. People like to drive slowly near Rochester?

Anyway, my husband is a jerk behind the wheel and I hate being a passenger with him because he's that guy people complain about here.

Regardless he's an rear end in a top hat.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Pixelated Dragon posted:

PCOS Bill posted:

Yep, the husband is the sole reason that entire exchange occurred. I hope he is shown this thread and learns the error of his ways. His being pissy is his own fault. If you aren't actively passing someone, move into the right lane.

kastein posted:

Philosophical question - if you are literally the only car on the road, are you the slower or the faster traffic? Do you keep right or left? If someone fails to keep right and no police officer is there to see them, do they still get a written warning for it?

I would say that you are supposed to keep right (unless there are kamikaze deer...) as you are not passing anyone, speed is irrelevant.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I find it interesting how the brotruck driver is getting a total pass here, from a group that usually shits all over drivers who don't follow the outdated "1 car length per 10 MPH of road speed" rule.

I think that both drivers are assholes and neither should get a pass for their shithead behavior.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Geoj posted:

I find it interesting how the brotruck driver is getting a total pass here, from a group that usually shits all over drivers who don't follow the outdated "1 car length per 10 MPH of road speed" rule.

I think that both drivers are assholes and neither should get a pass for their shithead behavior.

Brotruck was less wrong.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
It's always more fun to have a target that you can observe when you're ragging on them.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Pixelated Dragon posted:

My husband is an rear end in a top hat you share the road with.
Yuuuuup. He needs to grow up and pack that poo poo in before he pulls it on the wrong person.

For me today, I had a grey-haired couple in a Mk1 MR2 come straight out of a sliproad in front of me on a dual carriageway at about half my speed (and I was only doing about 55), no attempt at all to modulate lane entry to either match speed or slot in behind me. It was one of those entries where it comes in mostly at right angles to the main road, and then turns relatively late to come in obliquely for traffic to join. I was expecting them to do what most people do and get round the bend then accelerate harder, but nope, they just trundled right out, didn't even use the entire length to gain speed.

That and morons drat near taking your front bumper off at junctions because they don't want to move the wheel more than a quarter-turn for a ninety degree change in direction.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Philip J Fry posted:

I had to start taking a different way home because I would get off work between midnight and 2 AM. I'd be the only car on the road and cops would flip u-turns just to pull me over and give me the rundown. The same cop pulled me over 3 times in the course of a month.

I work at a newspaper. When I have a route with no contractor, I'm the one delivering a route.

Ask me how much attention a loud-rear end black E30 with stickers all over the rear windows (or even my current middlingly-loud Miata) gets when driving "erratically" between 1AM and 6AM. I actually went down to the the local police department the next day after getting pulled three times in one night to say "Look, people, this is getting ridiculous." To their credit, the regular beat cops usually get the idea of what I'm doing when they see the same car doing the same thing for three or four days in a row, and I've had cops that've blue-lighted me turn them off when I hold a paper out the window.

I have seen some crazy poo poo in the morning hours. Most recently I was picking up papers from a drop site, and thought I saw one of my carriers on the other side of the building. I drove over to check and yelled "HEY, GREG" before I noticed it was actually some couple getting busy with the windows down. I yelled "Sorry!" and drove back to the other side of the building laughing my rear end off. Who the gently caress gets it on in a LIT gas station parking lot at 3AM?

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 17, 2015

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Pixelated Dragon posted:

Your husband is an rear end in a top hat.

I was going down the interstate, in the left lane, at 10 over when a bro truck pulled behind and started tailgating. To my right was a chain of three semi trucks that I was passing. I did not brake check the truck, I simply let off the accelerator and coasted down about 5mph. I think the key difference is brake checking says "gently caress you rear end in a top hat I want you to ram me so I can sue you for being a douchebag!" but coasting down to a lower speed says "I know you are back there too close and I will not go faster for you.". It's not a technique I would advise, but at least that time it worked. The pickup backed off, I resumed my 10 over and in about a minute I was past the semi trucks, I moved to the right lane and the pickup passed me at a reasonable speed. To this day, I still think that rear end in a top hat is the most polite driver I have encountered. Am I an rear end in a top hat too?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

PCOS Bill posted:

Brotruck was less wrong.

It's rare but I completely agree with you.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Crotch Fruit posted:

I was going down the interstate, in the left lane, at 10 over when a bro truck pulled behind and started tailgating. To my right was a chain of three semi trucks that I was passing. I did not brake check the truck, I simply let off the accelerator and coasted down about 5mph. I think the key difference is brake checking says "gently caress you rear end in a top hat I want you to ram me so I can sue you for being a douchebag!" but coasting down to a lower speed says "I know you are back there too close and I will not go faster for you.". It's not a technique I would advise, but at least that time it worked. The pickup backed off, I resumed my 10 over and in about a minute I was past the semi trucks, I moved to the right lane and the pickup passed me at a reasonable speed. To this day, I still think that rear end in a top hat is the most polite driver I have encountered. Am I an rear end in a top hat too?
Eh, it's not that bad, but I wouldn't back off the 5mph, I'd just continue the overtake at the same speed and ignore them. The only thing you have to watch is that, if you're sensible/courteous enough to make sure there's a decent gap ahead of the lead truck before pulling back over, the tailgater will very commonly nip up your inside in frustration/knobbishness. Often right as you are about to start pulling in anyway.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
seriously.

just pass the loving trucks at the speed you were going and then move over.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Beach Bum posted:

Who the gently caress gets it on in a LIT gas station parking lot at 3AM?

Meth addicts?

Also regarding the dick husband, I know she said the guy could have just passed on the right, but then it sounds like there wasn't room to get around because otherwise how was he able to spend the next 30 miles keeping the truck boxed in?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

go3 posted:

seriously.

One time that happened to me at night with the dude's lights blinding me through all my mirrors. I slowed down about 5 mph just to gain distance from the cars in front of me cause my reaction times would have been poo poo at that point.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

go3 posted:

seriously.

Well the KDOT handbook does say to slowdown if you are being tailgated but it is so you can increase space between the car in front of you so you would not have to hit your brakes as hard.

Yeah it's passive aggressive, but it's more polite than brake checking. It not a normal driving habit, just something I did one time that worked with good results.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Crotch Fruit posted:

Am I an rear end in a top hat too?

Yes. Just loving move up and get out of the way. Goddamn.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

PCOS Bill posted:

Please return your license to the licensing authority, posthaste. They've made an error in issuance.

PCOS Bill posted:

gently caress EVERY SINGLE Pittsburgh Yellow Cab driver.

PCOS Bill posted:

gently caress YOU YOU AREN'T TRAFFIC ENFORCEMENT, GET THE gently caress OUT OF MY WAY.

PCOS Bill posted:

Fuckers need to move the gently caress out of the way.

PCOS Bill posted:

You're the rear end in a top hat.

PCOS Bill posted:

gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you what the gently caress gently caress you you gently caress.

PCOS Bill posted:

No, gently caress you.

PCOS Bill posted:

I wish there were some sort of violent, legal recourse against this sort of rear end in a top hat.

PCOS Bill posted:

PCOS Bill posted:

Yes. Just loving move up and get out of the way. Goddamn.
I think all this stress of getting mad on the internet has made you into someone we share the road with.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Cage posted:

I think all this stress of getting mad on the internet has made you into someone we share the road with.

I'm gonna run you off the information superhighway and into an e-ditch

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
We are all the rear end in a top hat, and we are sharing the road with nought but each other

Elwood P. Dowd
Oct 13, 2005

Jimmy Stewart would approve
Hey can we stop dogpiling on that poor guy I'm sure he knows he was wrong :shrug:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Elwood P. Dowd posted:

Hey can we stop dogpiling on that poor guy I'm sure he knows he was wrong :shrug:

How will he know without a bunch of internet strangers telling him over and over?

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

kastein posted:

There's an alternate phrasing of 'slower traffic keep right' used in many jurisdictions that solves this- 'Keep right except to pass'.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Some jackwagon on i95 tonight was tailgating the poo poo out of the person in front of them (who was passing at about 2 inches per hour) in the left lane tonight. I slid out a little and flicked my high beams at the lead snail after a couple miles, and they moved over. Then the tailgater...

... did absofuckinglutely nothing and continued at the same speed. I didn't bother flicking the lights at them, clearly no one at the wheel.

I moved right after we finally passed someone, and was about to pass them on the right, then they swerved the gently caress over, almost hit me, so I passed on the left. They proceeded to pull right back out behind me and flick their lights on and off a million times.

Last seen continuing at exactly the same pace as they were when I was behind them, with another dozen pissed off motorists still trapped in their wake.

I just don't know what the gently caress some people are thinking (if anything) when they drive, but I kinda hope they pay as much attention when they walk places, so they have a chance of walking in front of a freight train or tripping and eating a curbstone because they were too busy remembering to breathe to look where they were going. :shrug:

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Crotch Fruit posted:

Well the KDOT handbook does say to slowdown if you are being tailgated but it is so you can increase space between the car in front of you so you would not have to hit your brakes as hard.

Yeah it's passive aggressive, but it's more polite than brake checking. It not a normal driving habit, just something I did one time that worked with good results.

Hey, if you aren't properly adjusting your following distance for my speed, then I can only assume you're expecting me to adjust my speed for your following distance, right? :v:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Tommychu posted:

There's an alternate phrasing of 'slower traffic keep right' used in many jurisdictions that solves this- 'Keep right except to pass'.

But I don't want to be slow so I'll keep left. I won't speed up at all though.

This is the same thinking that leads to people staying in the middle lane for miles despite the crawler lane being empty. Here in the UK it was recently made an offence to 'hog' the middle lane when the crawler is empty. I have seen people pulled over for it as well, which makes me all warm inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Cakefool posted:

This is the same thinking that leads to people staying in the middle lane for miles despite the crawler lane being empty. Here in the UK it was recently made an offence to 'hog' the middle lane when the crawler is empty. I have seen people pulled over for it as well, which makes me all warm inside.

Oh man, this would make me so happy. I've done a lot of travel on three-lane highways, and we can't overtake on the right. So, so many times I've come upon the center lane hog, on an otherwise deserted highway. If there was room, and the maneuver was safe, I'd make a point of signalling and performing two lane changes, overtaking, and then signalling and changing lanes all the way back again. They got the point about a third of the time, I'd say.