Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

TheImmigrant posted:

Yeah, it's a bit rich when a forums Aspie who is trolled into apoplexy at the drop of a hat casts aspersions on the lives of others. Cultural appropriation, as a theory embraced by the ethnic fetishists here, is something exactly no one outside of the academy cares about.

Actually, CA is something that adults make fun of tumblerinas for caring about. Seems to fit pretty well whats going on here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Pauline Kael posted:

What the gently caressing gently caress are you even talking about now? I don't know about all the gimmicks, you're just a lovely person with bad opinions. Now a Chinese take out place that serves egg foo young is somehow committing a hate crime, got it. I'll have to let the restaurants know. Maybe you should start a service where you can go in and explain to the ignorant savages what they're allowed to serve. Effectronica, white savior of noble savages!

You are forty years old and posting on a webforum to yell at younger people to get off your lawn.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Effectronica posted:

The fun part of any thread like this is when the culture warriors start letting their real feelings slip.

See what I mean? The deadliest insults they can imagine- autistic, ethnic fetishist, capitalizing "bad poster" so that everyone can tell the gloves are coming off- it's great.

It's not splitting hairs or nitpicking to distinguish between something being labeled as part of a category and something being practiced, and the entire argument is that nothing short of a SWAT team busting down the door and shooting anyone that cooks egg foo young counts. Even though the fact that egg foo young is "inauthentic" does damage the ability of people to sell it, since it becomes a low-class food, something that earns you a black mark when people review your restaurant or food truck- and reviews are a big deal in the food business. This "authenticity", not that the culture warriors care, is generated by primarily white elites.

Holy loving poo poo, did you really read "forced to abandon culinary traditions" as being physical force? The bolded above is literally the exact argument you're accusing him of "strawmanning".

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Apr 17, 2015

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Effectronica posted:

You are forty years old and posting on a webforum to yell at younger people to get off your lawn.

So you're concerned about CA, and I'm sure a whole list of other tumblerina stuff, but engage in ageism? So you're really just a troll then, I guess your red text is largely based in reality, because nobody could possibly, in reality, be as dysfunctionally hosed up as you.

edit: your desire to tell Vietnamese what they can serve in the Restaurants they own chalks you up as a racist too. Disgusting human all around.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Jarmak posted:

Holy loving poo poo, did you really read "forced to abandon culinary traditions" as being physical force? The bolded above is literally the exact argument you're accusing him of "strawmanning".

Nobody is being forced. They are disadvantaged if they do something, but they can keep doing it. It constrains but doesn't determine.

Pauline Kael posted:

So you're concerned about CA, and I'm sure a whole list of other tumblerina stuff, but engage in ageism? So you're really just a troll then, I guess your red text is largely based in reality, because nobody could possibly, in reality, be as dysfunctionally hosed up as you.

edit: your desire to tell Vietnamese what they can serve in the Restaurants they own chalks you up as a racist too. Disgusting human all around.

You are forty years old and spent ten dollars to post this.

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Effectronica posted:

Nobody is being forced. They are disadvantaged if they do something, but they can keep doing it. It constrains but doesn't determine.

You are forty years old and spent ten dollars to post this.

Noted racist child, Effectronica, comments on other posters, news at 11

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Effectronica posted:

So you're claiming that you're being straw-manned because someone said "forced to" instead of saying "economically coerced to"? Even if I conceded that that wasn't a distinction without a difference (it is), it sure as gently caress still wouldn't be a distinction that has any bearing whatsoever on the argument being made.

edit: Also a leftist in D&D claiming that it is a straw man to conflate economic coercion with force (the imperative, not physical kind) is pretty much post of the year. :ironicat:

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Apr 17, 2015

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Pauline Kael posted:

"Make it personal" is one of the formal, well-known Logical Accuracies.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Pauline Kael posted:

You spent ten bucks you could have spent on six months of Fortune, or model trains, or a shitload of Werther's Originals.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Jarmak posted:

So you're claiming that you're being straw-manned because someone said "forced to" instead of saying "economically coerced to"? Even if I conceded that that wasn't a distinction without a difference (it is), it sure as gently caress still wouldn't be a distinction that has any bearing whatsoever on the argument being made.

Coerced to do what, exactly?

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Effectronica posted:

You spent ten bucks you could have spent on six months of Fortune, or model trains, or a shitload of Werther's Originals.

You obviously can't stand behind your odious assertion that Chinese take out places are "Cultural Appropriation" or pretty much anything else so you plea poverty? That's your strategy here? Sorry $10 is a notable amount to you, maybe since you don't seem to have too much going for you, spend more time trying to improve yourself and less confirming to the world what a noxious rear end in a top hat you are.

are you going to let us know why you think that Chinese takeout is cultural appropriation? Those non-whites sure are lucky to have a xuy/xal like you to show them the error of their ways!

edit: I hope your legal guardian didn't get your vaccinated

Pauline Kael fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 17, 2015

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I wonder if there is someone in Tokyo right now arguing exactly what Effectronica is over Pizza Hut, but over mayo on pizza instead of what pizza became from what it originally was.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Pauline Kael posted:

You obviously can't stand behind your odious assertion that Chinese take out places are "Cultural Appropriation" or pretty much anything else so you plea poverty? That's your strategy here? Sorry $10 is a notable amount to you, maybe since you don't seem to have too much going for you, spend more time trying to improve yourself and less confirming to the world what a noxious rear end in a top hat you are.

are you going to let us know why you think that Chinese takeout is cultural appropriation? Those non-whites sure are lucky to have a xuy/xal like you to show them the error of their ways!

I don't think that. The only thing I think is that you should have your eyes put out with a screwdriver, and your fingers whacked off with a breadknife! LMAO!

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013

Effectronica posted:

I don't think that. The only thing I think is that you should have your eyes put out with a screwdriver, and your fingers whacked off with a breadknife! LMAO!

LOL

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

RBA Starblade posted:

I wonder if there is someone in Tokyo right now arguing exactly what Effectronica is over Pizza Hut, but over mayo on pizza instead of what pizza became from what it originally was.

Only white americans are capable of Cultural Appropriation - Effectronica, noted racist and all around idiot

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013
I believe that I'm a real life utility monster; I would gain more happiness from hearing about any one of your suicides than any of you gain by continuing to live

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Effectronica posted:

So, you're in the habit of posting things, then when you get called out, you throw around lots of (lame, frankly) insults, then when people persist in calling you out, you deny that you made a claim, and threaten violence. You're obviously a legitimate and serious poster. Never has a custom title been better earned.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Pauline Kael molests the children in his neighborhood on a regular basis. He sees it as protecting them from the "tumblrina scourge".

Pauline Kael posted:

So, you're in the habit of posting things, then when you get called out, you throw around lots of (lame, frankly) insults, then when people persist in calling you out, you deny that you made a claim, and threaten violence. You're obviously a legitimate and serious poster. Never has a custom title been better earned.

Stop molesting children.

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013

Effectronica posted:

Pauline Kael molests the children in his neighborhood on a regular basis. He sees it as protecting them from the "tumblrina scourge".

Stop molesting children.

LOL nice postas

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Effectronica posted:

Coerced to do what, exactly?

Stop producing the traditional thing that has been falsely labeled inauthentic, I mean gently caress, this is your argument.

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Effectronica posted:

Stop molesting children.

Wow, you must really be embarrassed by your own work here to resort to that. Even your fellow travelers seem to have gotten off your train.

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Jarmak posted:

Stop producing the traditional thing that has been falsely labeled inauthentic, I mean gently caress, this is your argument.

Don't call him out, you'll be accused of molesting children. It's all he's got since his argument is unsupportable.

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013

Pauline Kael posted:

Wow, you must really be embarrassed by your own work here to resort to that. Even your fellow travelers seem to have gotten off your train.

sedan chair getting "of the train" is literally one of the best things i can imagine though

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Morkyz posted:

sedan chair getting "of the train" is literally one of the best things i can imagine though

Perhaps Sedan Chair knows the golden rule of hole digging better then effectronica. Then again, Sedan Chair is an adult.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Jarmak posted:

But that's not what I argued. I argued that they are disadvantaged if they produce the "inauthentic" foods, which don't have to be traditional. But if that counts as coercion, there are a lot of things that are coercive, much more than anyone would normally argue.

Pauline Kael posted:

You are a child molester, and keep flailing about to cover it up. Your wife does nothing about it because she fears you'd start murdering the children afterwards.

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Effectronica posted:

But that's not what I argued. I argued that they are disadvantaged if they produce the "inauthentic" foods, which don't have to be traditional. But if that counts as coercion, there are a lot of things that are coercive, much more than anyone would normally argue.

You are a child molester, and keep flailing about to cover it up. Your wife does nothing about it because she fears you'd start murdering the children afterwards.

Noted racist Effectronica keeps digging. Why do you think that the owners of ethnic restaurants are suffering from cultural appropriation? Or wait, are you arguing that that are committing it (against themselves!) Do you have even a child's understanding of market economics and small business? Ha, of course you don't.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Morkyz posted:

:raise:

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
It's cool that if you lie about what someone has said and you're on the right side of things, you get a whole bunch of people supporting you. But if you're on the left side, you can't even put a toe out of line without a horde of culture warriors riding to the fray.

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013

hes back

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Pauline Kael posted:

Noted racist Effectronica keeps digging. Why do you think that the owners of ethnic restaurants are suffering from cultural appropriation? Or wait, are you arguing that that are committing it (against themselves!) Do you have even a child's understanding of market economics and small business? Ha, of course you don't.

Do you wish you could act like this in real life? Because you can. Anytime. The power is within your reach.

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Effectronica posted:

It's cool that if you lie about what someone has said and you're on the right side of things, you get a whole bunch of people supporting you. But if you're on the left side, you can't even put a toe out of line without a horde of culture warriors riding to the fray.

If you want to call your logically inconsistent and racist opinion about CA a 'side' then go ahead. It's really more of a mushy pile of bad opinions mixed up with your special brand of toxic personality. saying that a Chinese takeout place is committing (and being victimized by!) CA is pants on head retarded. it's only because the rest of your opinions and the things you say are so jaw droppingly stupid that nobody else wants to be known as your ally. Weird that, everyone else must be a gold plated idiot, and you're a racist child genius.

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Effectronica posted:

Do you wish you could act like this in real life? Because you can. Anytime. The power is within your reach.

No, actually, you're kind of like a real-life object lesson of how not to be. Kids, behave yourself, and don't be racist idiots, or people will call you effectronica!

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007

Effectronica posted:

I only pop in this thread when people talk about Asian stuff because I think it's entertaining to be lectured by people on the internet on how me and my culture have been victimized by white culture. Meanwhile, Asian Americans are loving crushing in the American food industry and can sell lo mein or balut or stinky tofu if they want, thanks in part to the efforts of people like our friend Mr. Chiang to give white people a more accessible entry point to Asian cuisine.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Pauline Kael posted:

If you want to call your logically inconsistent and racist opinion about CA a 'side' then go ahead. It's really more of a mushy pile of bad opinions mixed up with your special brand of toxic personality. saying that a Chinese takeout place is committing (and being victimized by!) CA is pants on head retarded. it's only because the rest of your opinions and the things you say are so jaw droppingly stupid that nobody else wants to be known as your ally. Weird that, everyone else must be a gold plated idiot, and you're a racist child genius.

That's not what I said.

Pauline Kael posted:

No, actually, you're kind of like a real-life object lesson of how not to be. Kids, behave yourself, and don't be racist idiots, or people will call you effectronica!

Please stay away from children.

Pauline Kael
Oct 9, 2012

by Shine

Squinty posted:

I only pop in this thread when people talk about Asian stuff because I think it's entertaining to be lectured by people on the internet on how me and my culture have been victimized by white culture. Meanwhile, Asian Americans are loving crushing in the American food industry and can sell lo mein or balut or stinky tofu if they want, thanks in part to the efforts of people like our friend Mr. Chiang to give white people a more accessible entry point to Asian cuisine.

Oh well if you're Asian, hang around and let effectronica tell you how it's Cultural Appropriation for non-whites to sell anything that isn't 100% authentic cuisine of whatever culture from which they hail. Note though, do not sell any kind of food except that exact variety because if you're Vietnamese and sell Chinese food (even Americanized stuff! it doesnt matter) than you're part of the problem.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Squinty posted:

How about Asian-Americans who feel differently? Do they not exist, are they insane, just wrong, bananas, etc.?

Coolwhoami
Sep 13, 2007

Effectronica posted:

That's not what I said.

It's pretty hard to establish what you have said when anytime someone replies to you:

a) Say they've misrepresented your argument and tell them to read your posts
b) Say you're using a different definition and thus their argument is irrelevant
c) Fall into weak trolling they "just aren't getting it"

For someone who appears to be heavily interested in disseminating knowledge of what cultural appropriation "is" as an avenue to minimize the harm you perceive it to cause, you are making it exceptionally easy for anyone not already on board to back away. I have to wonder if the trolling you're doing is an attempt to get threads whose dialogue you don't agree with closed or something.

In regard to authenticity, while eliminating the emphasis upon it may indeed resolve much of the activity you take issue with, I would argue that the desire for it has risen out of an environment where things are mass manufactured and effectively identical. When combined with a weak cultural identity (because the elements of "western culture" are less overt and identifiable), one of the things people turn to for identity is highly visible cultural icons of others (Hence things like native headdresses, festivals, etc). I'm not really sure how one would go about convince people not value authenticity in such an environment, because it does not cure the motivation for seeking it.

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007

Effectronica posted:

How about Asian-Americans who feel differently? Do they not exist, are they insane, just wrong, bananas, etc.?

If anyone wants to speak up and make a compelling argument I'd love to hear from them too. I'm not opposed to CA as a concept, but all the examples I've seen that, in theory, apply to me directly have been far been more funny than troubling.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Coolwhoami posted:

It's pretty hard to establish what you have said when anytime someone replies to you:

a) Say they've misrepresented your argument and tell them to read your posts
b) Say you're using a different definition and thus their argument is irrelevant
c) Fall into weak trolling they "just aren't getting it"

For someone who appears to be heavily interested in disseminating knowledge of what cultural appropriation "is" as an avenue to minimize the harm you perceive it to cause, you are making it exceptionally easy for anyone not already on board to back away. I have to wonder if the trolling you're doing is an attempt to get threads whose dialogue you don't agree with closed or something.

In regard to authenticity, while eliminating the emphasis upon it may indeed resolve much of the activity you take issue with, I would argue that the desire for it has risen out of an environment where things are mass manufactured and effectively identical. When combined with a weak cultural identity (because the elements of "western culture" are less overt and identifiable), one of the things people turn to for identity is highly visible cultural icons of others (Hence things like native headdresses, festivals, etc). I'm not really sure how one would go about convince people not value authenticity in such an environment, because it does not cure the motivation for seeking it.

The idea predates consumer culture, though. It's why Robert Johnson only ever recorded blues songs, because the folklorists who discovered the blues as an art considered anything else inauthentic. Leadbelly went through the same thing until the 1950s, when he managed to break free and was able to record what he wanted. But yeah, people do want to seek outside of a culture they consider dying. Not much to do about that short of ending consumerism, and that's a bit bigger of a job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Squinty posted:

If anyone wants to speak up and make a compelling argument I'd love to hear from them too. I'm not opposed to CA as a concept, but all the examples I've seen that, in theory, apply to me directly have been far been more funny than troubling.

Every complaint I've seen about restaurants like PF Chang's being appropriative has come from Chinese-American people and nothing from white people. When I'm not on mobile I can even dig some of them up.

• Locked thread