Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

I've only played the KV-13 and T-43 for tier VII mediums, but I thought both were excellent tanks.

I really liked the KV-13. Strange how rare they are...

T20 is also quite good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

I wouldn't put the T20 past 'decent' myself. I've played quite a lot of games in it though and I can't exactly remember why.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
E100 is so much better than the E4. A properly played E100 just wrecks poo poo.

frood
Aug 26, 2000
Nevermind.

Hellsau posted:

Oh right T-34-1. It is an exceptionally difficult tank to play, even moreso than the Comet, and not even close to as rewarding as the Comet. Having a decent turret is nice, but having no gun depression and an alarmingly dangerous hull module layout is just intensely punishing. Having effectively zero hull armor even against tier 5s, with very large fuel tank and ammo rack hitboxes and very low module HP leads to some extremely short games. Plus it's an artillery magnet since it's so thin and needs very specific positioning to put damage out against tanks without being eaten in return. Still more fun than the WZ-132. On the plus side, the 132 will be elited and sold soon enough, and then I can finish the T-34-1, put the crews into the WZ-111 and WZ-120, and....then never actually bother grinding the tier tens since I hate tier nine and ten games.

I wish I could put my finger on exactly what it was that made me do well in the T-34-1, but I have no idea. I don't even recall liking it especially much, I just won a lot of games and did a lot of damage somehow.

I'm actually going through and fixing my stats on my American mediums and I really like the T20. The only thing I don't like about it is the glacial feeling aim time.

frood fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Apr 17, 2015

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Saint Celestine posted:

E100 is so much better than the E4. A properly played E100 just wrecks poo poo.

I've always liked my e4 more than my e100, but that's because I'm a bad that has never figured out angling and I get penned by anything over about tier 3 in either

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

frood posted:

The only thing I don't like about it is the glacial feeling aim time.

Don't aim, just fire.

Also I don't remember the T20 having a particularly bad aim time?

PSA for Fury drivers, Your gun mantlet is nothing like the E8. It is butter and things will go right through it. Had someone last night raging that I was putting shots through his mantlet in my T34-85M.

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 17, 2015

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
In case people weren't aware, Alienware is giving away codes again.

New player codes:
http://na.alienwarearena.com/giveaways/the-world-of-tanks-invite-code-key-giveaway-for-new-players

quote:

This Invite Code for new players includes:

350 Gold
7 Days Premium
Pz.Kpfw. S35 739 (F)
Free Garage Slot

As well as existing players (tho they're out for the week as of right now):

https://na.alienwarearena.com/giveaways/the-world-of-tanks-bonus-code-key-giveaway

Nothing particularly special, bonus day of premium and a case of coke.

frood
Aug 26, 2000
Nevermind.

BadLlama posted:

Don't aim, just fire.

Also I don't remember the T20 having a particularly bad aim time?

I've never been able to pull off the "don't aim" thing like I see people do in videos. I watch a video where Rossmum fires at a tank 300 yards away without zooming in and does damage. Anytime I do that it's just bounce, bounce, bounce. I have to zoom and aim every shot except moving shots in my russian mediums or american lights, or I get nothing done. As far as the T20 aim time, it doesn't have a long aim time on paper. I'm just struck every time I play it by how long it feels like it takes.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

frood posted:

I've never been able to pull off the "don't aim" thing like I see people do in videos. I watch a video where Rossmum fires at a tank 300 yards away without zooming in and does damage. Anytime I do that it's just bounce, bounce, bounce. I have to zoom and aim every shot except moving shots in my russian mediums or american lights, or I get nothing done. As far as the T20 aim time, it doesn't have a long aim time on paper. I'm just struck every time I play it by how long it feels like it takes.

Any time I don't aim it feels like my gunner is trying to shoot down satellites

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost
The only time I can pull off those shots is when it would have absolutely no effect on the outcome of the game or whether my tank explodes or not. The worst offender I have is the 13-75, I'm pretty sure the gunner think he's in an arty.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

What is the accuracy value on the M48A1 top gun? Tank compare says .36 but the wiki says .42?

VVV I feel like that mission is one where you just play a heavy tank you like and not care about getting the result because it will simply happen in the regular course of a game sooner rather than later.

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 17, 2015

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

These loving missions, trying to get the HT module damage one. Took my T14 out and loaded HE, figured it might be worth a shot since nothing else was working. I hit a Hetzer on various points of the upper casemate 11 shots in a row, including on or near the gun, got 11 critical hit calls in a row from my gunner, and then in the post battle review the only critical I'd done was track him 11 times. Sure thing :jerkbag:

enkalen
May 26, 2013
Just got the ELC AMX. Still need to get the final gun and the tracks, but I like it so far. I am thinking of playing it like a fast TD. Still need to buy a rammer for it.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

These loving missions, trying to get the HT module damage one. Took my T14 out and loaded HE, figured it might be worth a shot since nothing else was working. I hit a Hetzer on various points of the upper casemate 11 shots in a row, including on or near the gun, got 11 critical hit calls in a row from my gunner, and then in the post battle review the only critical I'd done was track him 11 times. Sure thing :jerkbag:
I never had problems with that mission. Just take a heavy that has a large caliber gun and shoot a bunch of poo poo. Try the KV-1S with the 122mm and HEAT. It's trivial in that thing.

Module damage isn't that rare... it's not like you'll do it every round, but if you're doing a lot of damage, it's only a matter of time.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

enkalen posted:

Just got the ELC AMX. Still need to get the final gun and the tracks, but I like it so far. I am thinking of playing it like a fast TD. Still need to buy a rammer for it.

I know the ELC is :airquote:fun:airquote: but I never got the hang of it. It is a quick little thing that is hard to hit and hits quite hard. If you like it you should run with it, you will not regret it. I am a loser who got frustrated by it and rage sold it.

So I've come to the realization that the T23E3 is complete poo poo, but I do well in it. I cannot for the life of me explain why or how. It is a pee shooter with pretty lovely pen on a tank that is moderately fast, fairly large with no armor.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Uranium 235 posted:

I never had problems with that mission. Just take a heavy that has a large caliber gun and shoot a bunch of poo poo. Try the KV-1S with the 122mm and HEAT. It's trivial in that thing.

Module damage isn't that rare... it's not like you'll do it every round, but if you're doing a lot of damage, it's only a matter of time.

I've been trying and failing to complete the mission with the WZ-111 1-4, T34, AMX 50 100, E-100 and IS-7, poo poo doesn't want to happen, just like the fire starter mission. I don't have a KV-1S and I'm not buying one back on the off chance that maybe the RNG decides to complete the mission with it

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
Tier 7 mediums are a mixed bag and none of them are particularly good for weaker players. The huge jump for heavies at t7 is real and the mediums, as a whole, get their corresponding jump at t8. T7 also fight t9s and, generally, t7s fare worse against t9s than t8s or t6s fare against t10s or t8s, respectively.

I'd put the Comet, T-34-1, and T20 at the top of the pile. The T-34-1 and Comet are not friendly to new players for different reasons. The T20 is probably the most friendly of the t7 mediums for new players and isn't really deficient in any way.

The Panther and T-43 sit in the middle, I feel. The Panther has the most pen HP but the gun has really low alpha and it doesn't have the Comet's mobility, depression, or turret to make it work. The T-43 is pretty nice, actually, but it doesn't really excel in any way.

The 3002DB is a weird one. You're either an uptiered 3001D (which was one of the best t6 mediums, though t6 mediums are a very, very strong group of tanks) with marginal improvements or you're an 88mm APCR-slinging joke tank. Definitely very bad for new players and I'd struggle to call it good, but it works out in the hands of a good player with unexpected regularity.

The A-44 is far and away the worst. I'd rather play a Warcrime panther with normal MM. It's so poo poo because the 416's gun is absurd at t8 and I guess WG felt that they could balance the 416 by making it painful to grind to? That's now how balance works, WG. gently caress you. You would need less changes to make the A-44 fit as a t6 than you would to make it fit as a t7.

e:

Mesadoram posted:

I know the ELC is :airquote:fun:airquote: but I never got the hang of it. It is a quick little thing that is hard to hit and hits quite hard. If you like it you should run with it, you will not regret it. I am a loser who got frustrated by it and rage sold it.

So I've come to the realization that the T23E3 is complete poo poo, but I do well in it. I cannot for the life of me explain why or how. It is a pee shooter with pretty lovely pen on a tank that is moderately fast, fairly large with no armor.

You've got so much to live for, don't do this to yourself. Play an E8, it's the same or better in every way except health pool, and it sees t6 matches.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

NTRabbit posted:

I've been trying and failing to complete the mission with the WZ-111 1-4, T34, AMX 50 100, E-100 and IS-7, poo poo doesn't want to happen, just like the fire starter mission. I don't have a KV-1S and I'm not buying one back on the off chance that maybe the RNG decides to complete the mission with it

You just have bad luck I guess, just by shooting tanks in games you should be getting some module damage shots in like every game.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

BadLlama posted:

You just have bad luck I guess, just by shooting tanks in games you should be getting some module damage shots in like every game.

This is why missions that rely entirely on RNG are hot garbage

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
People need to stop hating on the A-44. Its got a huge doom cannon that hits way above its tier on a fast platform. Stop crying pubbie tears about missing your shots at 500m when you should be moving around quickly and lighting up fools at point-blank with your alpha.

primelaw
Apr 4, 2012

The most southern dandy robot judge

Mesadoram posted:

Have a fun video from WAY back in the day.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOgAkiydvGc

maev posted:

People need to stop hating on the A-44. Its got a huge doom cannon that hits way above its tier on a fast platform. Stop crying pubbie tears about missing your shots at 500m when you should be moving around quickly and lighting up fools at point-blank with your alpha.
I completely agree with this. I hated the thing my first 10 matches in it, but it was complete gravy once I got used to it.

Also since we were talking about T-34-1s, it's only bad because Hellsau didn't carry me this match.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQzHkfnZCLI

primelaw fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 17, 2015

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

maev posted:

People need to stop hating on the A-44. Its got a huge doom cannon that hits way above its tier on a fast platform. Stop crying pubbie tears about missing your shots at 50m when you should be moving around quickly and lighting up fools at point-blank with your alpha.

It's poo poo and you're wrong. The gun handling, accuracy, and depression are bad enough that even point blank shots are going to miss where you're aiming on the tank, if not the tank altogether. Then at close range you get hit once and half your modules stop working because the internal layout is terrible and the modules have very low health. I was once killed from about 2/3 health by an ELC who was knife fighting me because the ground was slightly uneven and his first shot got my ammo rack, engine, and driver from the front. I wasn't able to keep my gun on him and one of my shots missed.

It gives up everything in exchange for 50 more alpha than the T-34-1 (or 60 more than the T20) and it really, really is not worth it. It might work as a wonky t6 with no premium ammo, sort of like the Sturer Emil - which I thought was the worst t7 before I played the A-44.

I did decently well in the A-44, at least as measured by WN7 and WN8 (2072 and 2878), and I did grind through it all the way even if I was sorely tempted to skip it. So I think I'm in a good position to judge it without being influenced by a string of good or bad games. It's poo poo.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 17, 2015

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

You know how even at the best of times, your team will only have one good flank? And you know those games where you look at the map and realise you're not on it? Well then, you turn yourself into the good flank, manoeuvre between the burning wrecks of your allies, actually get flanked by Tigers somehow and you goddamn refuse to die.

Those four tanks below me were the other flank. I think I had the Tiger, the M6 and one of the dead VKs with me, who weren't very much help at all. It's weird, I love my KV-3 and I always do well in it, but I almost never have stand-out games in it. It's an incredibly reliable tank. And yet, I had my best game ever in it, base 2061xp. Shame people overlook it for the IS.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
So how did you actually get 2800 wn8 on average when all your shots miss even at point blank and AMX knife fight you to death while losing all modules to single hits? Something isn't actually adding up here.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
I think the simplest answer is that case is that WN8 isn't a very good metric.

I mean, I think it's funny how I have like 2k WN8, because I that implies I'm way better than I actually am :v:

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

maev posted:

So how did you actually get 2800 wn8 on average when all your shots miss even at point blank and AMX knife fight you to death while losing all modules to single hits? Something isn't actually adding up here.

When I played it, though not now, my averages were substantially higher than that.

While it's confused a lot by when I played through the tanks, compared to the t7 mediums I played around the same time/skill level the A-44 comes up short by a large margin. The closest based on when I played them and my skill level being the 3002DB, the Chi-Ri, and the T-34-1. The A-44 is a good 150-200 average damage below them, which is significant. The A-44 also has the unique distinction of the only tank that I see routinely one-shot itself through the ammo rack. I have been on both ends of that multiple times and it's not even a common tank. :wtc:

My T20 and Comet overall stats are not as good, even though my recent Comet stats are much better, because those are tanks where the majority of my games in them were played when I was much less skilled than when I played the A-44.

Actually I'd forgotten to mention the Chi-Ri earlier. It's wonky and impotent in t9 matches but it can stomp all over t7 matches. Gun depression is so critical it can make up for a lot of deficiencies in other areas and the gun handling is quite good. 390 burst damage is nothing to sneeze at either. It's another one that's really hard for new players to adjust to, and it doesn't have the same potential as the Comet/T-34-1, but it's not garbage.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Apr 17, 2015

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Steelion posted:

I think the simplest answer is that case is that WN8 isn't a very good metric.

I mean, I think it's funny how I have like 2k WN8, because I that implies I'm way better than I actually am :v:

I used WN7/WN8 because it's a metric that's at least somewhat relative to the tank itself. If I have a purple WN7/8 in the tank, it means that I'm better than the vast majority of people in that specific tank, which I think is relevant when we're talking about whether a tank is poo poo or not.

The French Army
Mar 28, 2013

:france: Honneur et Patrie :france:

Crossposting from the PANSY thread:

The French Army posted:

:frogsiren: :frogsiren: :frogsiren: Attention savages!:frogsiren: :frogsiren: :frogsiren:

I will be running strongholes tonight. Anybody interested in seeing how strong their hole is should be online around 7:00 PM EST and on the NA east server.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Man I wish I could spill the beans on a certain rain from heaven machine in AW right now. The situation in the forums is a poo poo show because of that.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Desuwa posted:

You've got so much to live for, don't do this to yourself. Play an E8, it's the same or better in every way except health pool, and it sees t6 matches.

The T23E3 has my high score for most XP earned in a match :smith:. Also you forgot to mention the KV-13 :)

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Mesadoram posted:

The T23E3 has my high score for most XP earned in a match :smith:. Also you forgot to mention the KV-13 :)

And the Chi-Ri

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Super lame. I thought the update I just had to download was for the new French medium line.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Agrajag posted:

Man I wish I could spill the beans on a certain rain from heaven machine in AW right now. The situation in the forums is a poo poo show because of that.

No one will stop you.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

BadLlama posted:

No one will stop you.

I like my alpha access thankyouverymuch.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I didn't realize you needed to apply separately for the AW alpha. I'd already done whatever needed to be done to get the free commander, but there was a separate application for the alpha. Welp.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Apparently the Super Pershing is getting a hull buff for sure now. I guess It'll make it better at trolling shitters but doesn't help against anyone with a brain.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

BadLlama posted:

Apparently the Super Pershing is getting a hull buff for sure now. I guess It'll make it better at trolling shitters but doesn't help against anyone with a brain.

Beating up shitters is a much larger part of the game than fighting good players.

It might be good again if they completely undo the nerf it got.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Apr 18, 2015

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Desuwa posted:

Beating up shitters is a much larger part of the game than fighting good players.\

This is actually true and is why the BP is amazing.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

To be fair to the Super Pershing, everyone always claimed it was so easy to deal with pre-nerf because you just aim at the cupola or got on its side a little, but the fact remained that those were steps you had to take to fight it. Even with guns that cut through heavies easily, you'd have to stop and aim at a Super Pershing, which gives him more chances to put shots back into you, and your shots could easily deviate into the mantlet or over the top of the turret.

It didn't make it particularly threatening, but all the good players tended to completely discount the pre-nerf Super Pershing as a problem when the armour did still count for something against good players and forced them to take their time. Post-nerf it is a joke, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Foxtrot_13 posted:

The problem isn't with the mediums, the Comet, T20 and others are decent tanks. The prblem is that the heavys get a missive jump at tier 7 with the likes of the Tiger, T29 and Black Prince.

The biggest dog of a medium at tier 7 is the T-43 as it's just a T34-85 that sees tiers 9's

DonkeyHotay posted:

The black prince is one of the worst tanks in the game

Yes, the BP is bad. It still magically cannot lose for some reason, and also is still massive jump from the previous tier. The Church 7 is probably the worst heavy, even worse than the B1/DW2/VK3001h simply because those tanks get eaten by gold ammo, and the Church 7 gets eaten by tier four guns to the track knees.

primelaw posted:

Also since we were talking about T-34-1s, it's only bad because Hellsau didn't carry me this match.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQzHkfnZCLI

Glad this is on YouTube. I get stuck on terrain like I always do on desert maps, you almost carry but run out of ammo, and the dumbshit T34 loses the game for us simply because he didn't want to spend credits on a full ammo load out. RIP Primelaw.

New physics cannot come out fast enough. I die to physics more often than I team kill, and I TK a lot.