Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Obviously the best answer is the Cayenne. The Cayenne GTS that is. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost

MustardFacial posted:

CUV update:

I got some feedback from the wife about what she is looking for in a CUV. She basically wants a taller version of her previous cars. Something which she describes "let's me go "Shoom!" past everyone else". Here is every car she's owned:

- Mini Cooper S
- Honda Civic Type R
- Mercedes SLK 200 Kompressor
- My MKV VW GTI (what she drives now)

So I guess my options are to either get one of the previous gen Forester XT's, or mod the poo poo out of say a Tiguan, or a CRV or something. I'm pretty happy about this.

The V6 version of the RAV 4 goes "Shoom" pretty well also. Not sure what additional mods are available for the suspension, but it's certainly quick.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

mungtor posted:

The V6 version of the RAV 4 goes "Shoom" pretty well also. Not sure what additional mods are available for the suspension, but it's certainly quick.

I said the v6 rav earlier, too... But I forgot to say to get the awe version. We had the fwd one and, if you could get traction it was silly fun, but more often it just couldn't get the lower down and had the D over yelling at it to just loving go.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

mungtor posted:

The V6 is a Lexus engine is it not? Those were pretty drat quick for what they were.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
For a while, the v6 rav was toyota's fastest car.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

nm posted:

For a while, the v6 rav was toyota's fastest car.

:(

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

ExplodingSims posted:

Obviously the best answer is the Cayenne. The Cayenne GTS that is. :getin:

Cayenne prices drop like a 105-lb weaking socked on the jaw by Ali. If you don't mind getting a ~5 yr old one, you can find a GTS for under 30K, a base for under 25.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Nice one from ebay for me today:

Four new Michelin XZL take-offs in 7.50R16, £185. And three of them on £50 Wolf rims (which I don't need and can therefore sell).

Hooray for poorly-described/-photographed Ebay listings! :toot:

I even managed to get all 4 in the back of the Zoe when collecting, and for the first time managed a genuine 100 mile range (84 miles used, still more than 20 left on the gauge).

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Sigma X posted:

Cayenne prices drop like a 105-lb weaking socked on the jaw by Ali. If you don't mind getting a ~5 yr old one, you can find a GTS for under 30K, a base for under 25.

Hahaha I live in Vancouver. Prices here don't drop, they stay the same or go up.

Here is a 2010 Cayenne GTS, 111,000km - $48,000. This was the cheapest I could find on CL. I could get a new fully loaded Tiguan for less.

Meatpimp/Mungtor: I floated the idea of a V6 Rav 4, she said she didn't like the interior.

[edit] forgot to include the link: http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/ctd/4917790699.html

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
In all seriousness, what about an SRT Grand Cherokee?

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

InitialDave posted:

In all seriousness, what about an SRT Grand Cherokee?

She said the Grand Cherokee is too big, and this is part of the issue. All of the full size SUV's are too big for her because she's used to driving tiny hot hatchbacks for the last 15 years. She wants the smaller ones like a CRV/Rav4/Tiguan/Cherokee. But nobody makes hopped up versions of those.

Otherwise yeah, I'd probably rock an SRT8 Grand Cherokee, or something of the like.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Mazda CX-3?

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
Nevermind, I withdraw my suggestion. Your missus wants a sportish car with a high h-point, basically.

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 17, 2015

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Mini Cooper S Countryman? I think I just threw up in my mouth a bit typing that, though.

If she's used to driving stuff quickly, I'd have thought that even a moderate amount of performance would let her do the "go "Shoom!" past everyone else" routine. It sounds more like she fancies a bit of "Hurrrrrrr!" thrust in the back when you put your foot down?

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

InitialDave posted:

Mini Cooper S Countryman? I think I just threw up in my mouth a bit typing that, though.

If she's used to driving stuff quickly, I'd have thought that even a moderate amount of performance would let her do the "go "Shoom!" past everyone else" routine. It sounds more like she fancies a bit of "Hurrrrrrr!" thrust in the back when you put your foot down?

A cheap vehicle with a torquey v6 or turbo I4 with a high h-point, but that doesn't feel "large". I'm not really aware of any. Maybe a hybrid CUV? Are there any available that are cheap?

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

MustardFacial posted:

She said the Grand Cherokee is too big, and this is part of the issue. All of the full size SUV's are too big for her because she's used to driving tiny hot hatchbacks for the last 15 years. She wants the smaller ones like a CRV/Rav4/Tiguan/Cherokee. But nobody makes hopped up versions of those.

Otherwise yeah, I'd probably rock an SRT8 Grand Cherokee, or something of the like.

Having had the chance to drive an SRT-8 Cherokee (on a loving track no less) I can say you should at least test drive one. It's surprisingly competent feeling and hides its size well.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Sigma X posted:

A cheap vehicle with a torquey v6 or turbo I4 with a high h-point, but that doesn't feel "large". I'm not really aware of any.

This is pretty much where I'm at. I've started to look into what can be done to a K24, EA113, or similar.

I'm going to get her to test drive an SRT8 Grand Cherokee though, for sure.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

MustardFacial posted:

This is pretty much where I'm at. I've started to look into what can be done to a K24, EA113, or similar.

I'm going to get her to test drive an SRT8 Grand Cherokee though, for sure.

You may want to look at a Lexus RX350. Nobody ever talks about them, because they are bland and beige, but they use the same 266+hp 2GR-FE motor that the RAV4 has and are not much bigger... could be a nice sleeper with all the Lexus goodies and stupid Toyota reliability.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

meatpimp posted:

You may want to look at a Lexus RX350. Nobody ever talks about them, because they are bland and beige, but they use the same 266+hp 2GR-FE motor that the RAV4 has and are not much bigger... could be a nice sleeper with all the Lexus goodies and stupid Toyota reliability.

That was actually my pre-edited suggestion. But I have no idea how much they cost in America's Hat.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Just one day left to get your Sheep Game entries in! Since the last update, I've had a number of entries so we're up to 39 players. Like I've said time and again, the more entries we have, the better and more hilarious the results!

Come play today! Tastes like chicken!

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Just saw the 2015 Ford Ranger on The Amazing Race. They are weird, egg-looking trucks now.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Man for all the bitching that one thread did about how much AI beats up on Chrysler :qq:, you guys hate VW even more.

I feel like an outcast.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

So how hard is it gonna be to get a Focus RS?

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

DICKPOCALYPSE NOW posted:

Pretty brave to admit out loud to readin star wars EU

Cat Terrist posted:

Why would you subject yourself to that kind of mental abuse? The EU is just sooooooooo bad

Taco Box posted:

It can be, but the Jedi Search trilogy is the fuckin poo poo. So are Thrawn trilogy and the duology also written by Timothy Zahn. I've read I think the entire EU and I'm totally the coolest dude I know.

Sometimes I enjoy drinking Rainier beer (Northwest PBR), or I eat cake from a boxed mix. Sometimes it's nice to not have to think hard and just enjoy some light fiction.

Jedi Search Triology is up next, and then I need to pick up the Thrawn trilogy.

While I'm sharing, I also enjoyed the Green Lantern movie with Ryan Reynolds, which I realize is a nearly capital offense. I'm ready for my public stoning AI.

Mat_Drinks fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Apr 18, 2015

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

CommieGIR posted:

Man for all the bitching that one thread did about how much AI beats up on Chrysler :qq:, you guys hate VW even more.

I feel like an outcast.

Sorry dude, even chrysler doesn't make wiring so lovely that coolant ends up in the taillight housings :v:

(I have owned more chrysler products that I have anything else...)

Oh that reminds me. I have bitched extensively about how AMC used factory duct tape on their wiring harnesses, as insulation, not just for bundling. They would crimp a brass open ferrule splice onto some wires to join them inside a loom then fold a piece of duct tape over it.

Chrysler decided to one up those fuckers when they took over. This was a splice inside a 95 XJ harness.

Yeah they just resistance welded it all together... that was after I stripped the nasty loving cloth and natural rubber friction tape off of it and blasted it with brakleen.

If they had just used sealant lined heatshrink over that like they did starting in 96 or 97, I would be fine with it. Friction tape so lovely I wouldn't use it to attach cable to a fish tape though? Really?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

kastein posted:

Sorry dude, even chrysler doesn't make wiring so lovely that coolant ends up in the taillight housings :v:

(I have owned more chrysler products that I have anything else...)

No, they just had recalls for fire risks. (2015 Chrysler 200 Sedan recall for wiring harness fire risks)

And the Grand Cherokee's vanity mirror lighting it ablaze.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
The 200 is most certainly garbage.

I think my favorite wiring fire issue has to be the F150 one that burns the truck to the ground, however.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Or the worn clockspring that can set off the airbag if you use the cruise control.
that i've yet to get fixed on mine

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

kastein posted:

The 200 is most certainly garbage.

I think my favorite wiring fire issue has to be the F150 one that burns the truck to the ground, however.

And I'm willing to admit that VW makes and has made some garbage, I just get sick of the whole ragging on VWs and Audis.

I like my cars.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I gave up on this lovely drill, walked into Home Depot in the middle of a nasty thunderstorm, 10 minutes before close, and asked for their cheapest name brand corded drill. I'm now the proud owner of a $30 neon green Ryobi, with an equally colorful carrying case (with no pockets, of course). I'll have to get a decent set of bits for it later, but at least it isn't Ol' Sparky (what I call stepdad's 30+ year old Black and Decker corded drill that shocks the gently caress out of me every time I use it), nor is it Ol' Wheezy (mom's cordless B&D drill that lasts about 30 seconds on a charge).

Also, worked lunch at Pizza Hut, made almost $70 (worked 11-3:30). Worked 5-10 at Jet's, made $25. Got stiffed on my last delivery, when it was raining so hard I couldn't see past my hood, and they commented "lordy, it's really pouring out there! Hun, you can keep the change." The change was 3 cents... at least when I get stiffed at the Hut, I still get my fuel reimbursement to take some of the sting away.

My stats from the Hut today (total dispatches means total trips out the door, the numbers got fudged a little to keep the point of sale from tattling about me taking triples [HUGE no no], so that I was actually walking out with 3 at a time a few times while the computer thought I left with one order - 13 orders in 4 hours, basically, and I nailed 6 orders an hour at one point, while going with traffic). Only one order was late, by about 10 minutes, and I was doing the work of 2 drivers anyway (other opener called in sick).

I might get 2 orders an hour at Jet's.

the spyder posted:

Send me your address fd3sengineering@gmail.com and I've got a switch you can have.

:stonk:

Much appreciated. :glomp:

meatpimp posted:

HDMI is a fickle bitch even with proper cables. I couldn't get poo poo to happen with an extender going ~25' from my electronics closet to the projector. Even cables gave me fits. After a couple years of putting up with bullshit, weird connection issues, I finally found a good cable a few years back and it's been working great since.

It's a crapshoot.

My goal was to get all the wiring around the TV into the wall - power, surround speakers, etc. The only issue I've had with HDMI is my PC decides to rearrange all of my windows every time I turn off the a/v receiver (which was fixed with a tiny piece of tape over the hot plug pin of the cable from the PC, but it also means I have to disable/reenable the onboard HDMI every time I reboot).

Really, the only wires going to the TV are HDMI from the A/V receiver, and power. Plus speaker wires for the satellite speakers (FR, FL, center). It's a 25 foot Monoprice HDMI cable that's served me well for years.

Raluek posted:

All HDMI cables are inside are shielded twisted pair anyway. If you are using UTP (which I assume you are) it's probably still fine, although I don't have direct experience with them.

Not only am I using UTP, I'm using CCA UTP. :cripes:

Can't argue with the price though - $39 shipped for 1000 feet, 24ga solid.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Apr 18, 2015

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

CommieGIR posted:

And I'm willing to admit that VW makes and has made some garbage, I just get sick of the whole ragging on VWs and Audis.

I like my cars.

I like VW's too. You're not alone.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
My knees have never been great, but man have i turbofucked my right one tonight. Cant put any weight on it without pretty gnarly pain unless I lock it out. Which is awesome becausethe 6month old is feeling crappy and not sleeping well, needs to be held/rocked occasionally and im trying not to make the mrs. deal with it ALL night... gently caress.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

I'm glad West Marine aren't the only ones still using terribly outdated backend systems.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Raluek posted:

All HDMI cables are inside are shielded twisted pair anyway. If you are using UTP (which I assume you are) it's probably still fine, although I don't have direct experience with them.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

CommieGIR posted:

I like my cars.

I've got this weird mental break where I don't like VW but love Audi. It's absurd, but there it is.

(Although Audi ownership scares me still)

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

some texas redneck posted:

You know, the cost of these kinds of jobs isn't in the materials, it's in the hassle of having to string everything around. Having to redo it later because you used cheap wire just doesn't make any sense to me. But, do your thing, I guess. No idea how that'll do with HDMI, since that's a fairly high-bandwidth signal that's pretty sensitive to that kind of thing.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Been trying to figure out where to put the network jack under my desk. One requirement was a plain phone jack in the same plate.

Wait.. next room has a phone jack.

Yanked the phone jack off the wall and jammed my drywall saw into the gap between the (metal, for a phone jack?!) box and drywall, looked for the hole on the other side. Wound up being exactly where I wanted it. Yanked 4 wires out of some scrap cat5 to make the connections (yeah I know I only need 2, but what if the next owner wants two phone libahahahwhothefuckwouldevendothattoday)

The P-Touch Viggen loves so much is MIA, so a post it note will have to do. :ssh: Only the POTS and 1 network jack is wired so far.

Raluek posted:

You know, the cost of these kinds of jobs isn't in the materials, it's in the hassle of having to string everything around. Having to redo it later because you used cheap wire just doesn't make any sense to me. But, do your thing, I guess. No idea how that'll do with HDMI, since that's a fairly high-bandwidth signal that's pretty sensitive to that kind of thing.

Fully agreed on the hassle (I did mention multiple times that we have about 20 inches of blown-in insulation added, right?). The HDMI was a complete afterthought - I actually have some pure copper UTP in the attic, but not a whole lot (enough to get the TV setup, if I wanted to). This project was to get rid of wifi for everything except tablets/phones, since this house may as well be a faraday cage within a faraday cage with a magnetron blasting nonstop within. The lengths I'm dealing with are short enough that CCA shouldn't be an issue (99% of the wiring is in a third of a 2200 sq ft house, eventually a couple of wires will extend to the kitchen and garage - right now the longest run is about 100 ft, at most).

I'm honestly wondering if they actually shipped CCA instead of copper - no matter how much I abuse it while stripping, I still see copper, and nothing on the box mentions CCA. :iiam:

SuperDucky posted:

I'm glad West Marine aren't the only ones still using terribly outdated backend systems.

The PH system really isn't that bad once you learn it, and has a GUI touch screen ordering system that's not terrible (.. not great). Not anywhere NEAR as bad as what Papa John's uses.

Jet's uses a commercially available point of sale system targeted at delivery style places, and while it's nice having it pop up maps, and 100% touch screen, it's incredibly buggy and constantly fucks up.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Apr 18, 2015

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I'd imagine it would say on the jacketing or on the box if it was plated. Also, I'd think the plating would be pretty thin, so if you looked at a cut end it should be pretty obvious? I dunno, man :shrug:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The box is pretty generic - just says 1000 ft CAT5E, and a checkbox for UTP and STP (with UTP checked). No name brand at all on it, and the seller's description on Amazon touted it as CCA.

Jacketing on the wire is "CAT5E UTP SOLID 24AWG/4PRS 350MHZ T1A/E1A-588-C.2 ROHS ISO9001 <various length depending how far into the spool I am>"

I did just cut into a patch cable I had made - it took a LOT of scraping, but I did find aluminum. But I had to scrape so far that the wire core was about to break. And IMO, aluminum will conduct just as well at low voltages.

Irony: I just noticed that the cable between the router and my desktop is marked as CAT5 (no E) - and it still links at gigabit speeds. :iiam: It's only about a 25 ft cable though.

I still think for small home use, CCA has its place. It was about half the price of actual solid copper, though I have a decent amount of that laying around (it's in bits and pieces though, so at best I can make patch cables and maybe wire an HDMI extender). I wouldn't want to run PoE with it.

This is what I bought, while this seems to be the cheapest true copper box that I could find in a quick search.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

kastein posted:

That's just to make the owners feel like they're driving something more exotic. Super cars burn to the ground all the time so the F150 is like a super car.

CommieGIR posted:

I like my cars.
AI likes to bitch about VW because it's fairly easy and at this point it's an ongoing joke. I've had good luck with my VW's as has the rest of my family. Audi's have been good as well except for one that went back under lemon law because it had so many issues. I like my slow little VW.

Bajaha posted:

I've got this weird mental break where I don't like VW but love Audi. It's absurd, but there it is.

(Although Audi ownership scares me still)
I'll admit Audi has some amazing new cars and they've done a lot to improve the looks but yeah the thought of owning an newer than mid 90's Audi to me is fairly terrifying. That said the R8 is a loving monster and I love it.

Had planned on heading to the mountains today with my brother in the E30's to play for a few hours. Last night, after he cooked us and her Dad dinner, she decided he wasn't going. Lots of arguing and bullshit later he's still not going because she's a bitch. Poor stupid bastard had no idea what he was getting himself into when he married her.

I'm leaving in the next 20 minutes or so. Going to be a beautiful day in the mountains, think there's a R32 group and a RX7 group down there this weekend.

• Locked thread