Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

What the hell does Blackbeard have to do with Peter Pan? Poor guy playing Hook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

mind the walrus posted:

What the hell does Blackbeard have to do with Peter Pan? Poor guy playing Hook.

The guy playing Hook is young and handsome and the tagline implies prequel so I'm guessing Blackbeard is Hook's mentor.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
E V E R Y L E G E N D H A S A B E G I N N I N G
---
Man this poo poo is getting old

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Dr. Killjoy posted:

E V E R Y L E G E N D H A S A B E G I N N I N G
---
Man this poo poo is getting old

But the origin story is always cool, that's why everyone loved the Star Wars prequels!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

But the origin story is always cool, that's why everyone loved the Star Wars prequels!

Come to think of it, has an origin story prequel ever been good? Because I can't think of one that even approached being decent.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Cleretic posted:

Come to think of it, has an origin story prequel ever been good? Because I can't think of one that even approached being decent.

Rise/Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Cleretic posted:

Batman Begins is considered decent, if that counts.

Or there's Twin Peaks: Fire walk with me, which is interesting.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

First Class and Days of Future Past?

EDIT: Oh! The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. Although that's not an origin story, just an... earlier story.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Apr 17, 2015

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Cleretic posted:

The Godfather Part II

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Cleretic posted:

Prometheus :getin:

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Prometheus is obviously the best prequel, but it's not an orign story.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning and The Thing 2011 are both dope though.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

MikeJF posted:

First Class and Days of Future Past?

EDIT: Oh! The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. Although that's not an origin story, just an... earlier story.

It tells the origin of The Man With No Name's poncho.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
What the...oh, SMG.

Babylon 5: In the Beginning was pretty good, I guess?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I actually agree that the Thing prequel is pretty dope. It's not as good as the original, but it takes a drat good shot, and it has Mary Elizabeth Winstead who is always awesome.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I actually agree that the Thing prequel is pretty dope. It's not as good as the original, but it takes a drat good shot, and it has Mary Elizabeth Winstead who is always awesome.

But was it necessary? Not really.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

DarkSol posted:

But was it necessary? Not really.

Strictly speaking, how many films ever made were necessary?

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Strictly speaking, how many films ever made were necessary?

Well, what I meant was, was it necessary to explain the backstory to the destroyed Norwegian camp and what not?

But to answer your question, no. No film is technically "necessary".

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
If a movie is good then what does it matter if it's necessary?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
It doesn't
But if a movie is bad it's sort of like "why did they think there was a good idea there"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

DarkSol posted:

Well, what I meant was, was it necessary to explain the backstory to the destroyed Norwegian camp and what not?

But to answer your question, no. No film is technically "necessary".

To think about it differently, was it necessary to find out what happened to Ripley after the events of Alien?

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Skwirl posted:

To think about it differently, was it necessary to find out what happened to Ripley after the events of Alien?

Again, no, it wasn't necessary, but there's something about sequels that are make them more palatable than prequels. (Not to say that there are no bad sequels because they're out there, of course.)

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It would have been necessary if it didn't feel like a remake instead of a prequel.

I mean even then it wasn't that good (wasn't bad either, it was just there) and I doubt anyone will remember it so who cares really?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

davidspackage posted:

I wonder if the Rock'll have to do a series of difficult flight exercises perfectly before the movie lets him proceed.

This was one of the most annoying things I'd ever encountered, and the only reason why I never finished that game.

(really, why the gently caress are the flying missions in those games so impossible)

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Allen Wren posted:

This was one of the most annoying things I'd ever encountered, and the only reason why I never finished that game.

(really, why the gently caress are the flying missions in those games so impossible)

The flying is the best part of those games in the first place. I remember someone posting something vaguely technical about why the RC missions are so brutal, though, but I already forgot the explanation.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I remember someone posting something vaguely technical about why the RC missions are so brutal, though, but I already forgot the explanation.

That's definitely where I checked out of Vice City.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The flying is the best part of those games in the first place. I remember someone posting something vaguely technical about why the RC missions are so brutal, though, but I already forgot the explanation.

The RC plane controls take from your Pilot skill. But they pop up in San Fierro before the pilot school is unlocked, so unless you stole a plane and flew around enough to get your skill up the hard way or you leave the missions until after you go through the school (which gives 100% pilot skill), the RC plane handles like a tiny drunken cow.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Byzantine posted:

The RC plane controls take from your Pilot skill. But they pop up in San Fierro before the pilot school is unlocked, so unless you stole a plane and flew around enough to get your skill up the hard way or you leave the missions until after you go through the school (which gives 100% pilot skill), the RC plane handles like a tiny drunken cow.

Thank you! I mean really all they had to do was make the time limit generous. I definitely stole all kinds of planes, in fact instead of playing missions, I would try to find where planes or choppers were hidden and see how far I could get before I was blown up.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Byzantine posted:

Also the original PS2 release hosed up the fuel consumption to the point where the mission was borderline impossible to bear, if you played a later release they fixed it so it's not nearly as maddeningly difficult.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

New JP poster:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Rurea posted:

New JP poster:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Rurea posted:

New JP poster:

This made me read the JP poster in terms of Whedon's dumb "feminism" controversy and it made me lol. "ARE YOU HAPPY NOW JOSS THE MAN IN THIS ROMANTIC PAIRING IS LITERALLY A MONSTROSITY AND AN AFFRONT TO NATURE?"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Within 24 hours--

"You won't believe all these great photoshops of the new Jurassic World poster!"

Sometimes I really hate the modern internet.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

mind the walrus posted:

This made me read the JP poster in terms of Whedon's dumb "feminism" controversy and it made me lol. "ARE YOU HAPPY NOW JOSS THE MAN IN THIS ROMANTIC PAIRING IS LITERALLY A MONSTROSITY AND AN AFFRONT TO NATURE?"

What?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

lol I just spent a minute on that thing.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

lol I just spent a minute on that thing.

Submit it to Buzzfeed or something and ask for a royalty.

Joss Whedon bitched about some scene put up on the internet from Jurassic World over "outdated gender politics" because it plays out like an old cliche. I was imagining viewing Jurassic World as a rom-com in the vein of Sleepless in Seattle but with the men replaced by ugly-rear end retrograde dinosaur monstrosities because they want to gently caress or something. It was funnier in my head.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

Submit it to Buzzfeed or something and ask for a royalty.

Joss Whedon bitched about some scene put up on the internet from Jurassic World over "outdated gender politics" because it plays out like an old cliche. I was imagining viewing Jurassic World as a rom-com in the vein of Sleepless in Seattle but with the men replaced by ugly-rear end retrograde dinosaur monstrosities because they want to gently caress or something. It was funnier in my head.

You forgot how he "regrets" his comments because it's, paraphrasing his words, "not something that a gentleman would do," and the way he said it made him come off like a loving trillby-misidentified-as-a-fedora-wearing Nice Guy.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

He is a

quote:

loving trillby-misidentified-as-a-fedora-wearing Nice Guy

He's totally that guy, and I'm a fan.

He just happens to be one who has a knack for writing teams of misfits that act as surrogate families and fight awful things.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Rurea posted:

New JP poster:

You know this seemed like a bad idea putting the building with the thin glass windows on level with the hybrid abomination death dinosaur

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

achillesforever6 posted:

You know this seemed like a bad idea putting the building with the thin glass windows on level with the hybrid abomination death dinosaur

Well you see its actually a mirror and it represents that she is a clone, hence why she has the same color scheme as the new dinosaur.