Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
You can't, but I can. I can type and access the full screen with my thumb no problem and I never use reachability.

Also, why the gently caress don't third party keyboards work yet? I constantly touch a text box and get no keyboard in all apps. Infuriating.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

You can't, but I can. I can type and access the full screen with my thumb no problem.

Also, why the gently caress don't third party keyboards work yet? I constantly touch a text box and get no keyboard in all apps. Infuriating.

It's a little better in 8.3 but my understanding is that it's an API issue.

Also I never use reachability.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Well, since I use my iPhone 5 two-handed most of the time, I think I should be okay upgrading to the 6 plus. Seems to be a pretty good consensus amongst goons that getting the bigger screen is worthwhile and the negatives about the size aren't as bad as they're made out to be. Thanks everyone, much appreciated.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Thanks a lot for the insight.
I just found out I'd have to get a gold 6plus if I opt for that one so I said gently caress it and got a standard 6.

A golden 6plus feels like a really bad choice for a business phone.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
Black/grey is always the correct answer.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

unless you are a Saudi Oil Baron

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I have a regular 6 but since I'm left-handed I use Reachability pretty much all the time, since the swipe-to-go-back gesture is usually for a button on the top-left, which I can reach one-handed anyway. I don't really understand why people would only ever want to use their phone two-handed.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Question Mark Mound posted:

I have a regular 6 but since I'm left-handed I use Reachability pretty much all the time, since the swipe-to-go-back gesture is usually for a button on the top-left, which I can reach one-handed anyway. I don't really understand why people would only ever want to use their phone two-handed.

I use my phone two-handed just because there's added stability. I can use the 5 without much problems with just one hand, but given that I have smaller hands, it's not the most comfortable thing in the world and there are times when it just feels unwieldy.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

RhoA posted:

I use my phone two-handed just because there's added stability. I can use the 5 without much problems with just one hand, but given that I have smaller hands, it's not the most comfortable thing in the world and there are times when it just feels unwieldy.

Cases like the speck candy shell grip significantly help with comfortable one handed use. You no longer need to wrap your fingers around the phone for a secure grip.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

the panacea posted:

Thanks a lot for the insight.
I just found out I'd have to get a gold 6plus if I opt for that one so I said gently caress it and got a standard 6.

A golden 6plus feels like a really bad choice for a business phone.

It wouldn't really matter once you put your Apple Leather Case on it.

Though I'm firmly in the 6+ is too big camp.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

BizzaroprOn posted:

I need a recommendation. I have had an LG G3 for the past 5 months now and honestly, I'm getting sick of Android. Its slow, fucks up a lot causing it to be rebooted, and it generally feels laggy as poo poo. My wife has an iPhone 5S and she never has problems with it. I like the bigger screen, so I am leading towards the 6 Plus. I read that the 6S Plus could be released this year. Should I sell the LG and get the 6 Plus or just want until a new version of the Plus comes out potentially this year? I'm on the next program with ATT and can easily re-coop the cost via ebay or Craig's list. Ideas?

6+ from G3 was my move. Couldn't be happier.

Endless Mike posted:

It wouldn't really matter once you put your Apple Leather Case on it.

Though I'm firmly in the 6+ is too big camp.

Leather apple case rocks. Though after holding my 6+ without it a few times, I do like the phone with no case.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
I use reachability once in a while when browsing articles and whatnot, but when typing I always use two hands so the size is not really an issue?

Then again I came from a Nexus 5 which is only a little bit smaller, so I'm used to a big phone. I don't think I could ever go down in size from the 6 Plus. Hell, using my partner's 4S it feels almost comically small.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I guess I just find it crazy how many people never need to use their phone while holding anything else.

in b4 masturbation joke

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

carry on then posted:

There isn't.

This is true, so don't think the following is me saying you aren't correct.

However, if you ever jailbreak and install a hack that turns your carrier into a single space or empty, as in not one that simply hides it, and then make a backup of that, restoring to that physical backup (not an iCloud one) will retrain the empty carrier.

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no

coldplay chiptunes posted:

You literally can't use it one-handed.

Are you like a child, because I can use my iPhone 6 plus one handed, it's why I got the phone, the 4 was just absurdly tiny for adult use.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

noirstronaut posted:

This is true, so don't think the following is me saying you aren't correct.

However, if you ever jailbreak and install a hack that turns your carrier into a single space or empty, as in not one that simply hides it, and then make a backup of that, restoring to that physical backup (not an iCloud one) will retrain the empty carrier.

Hmm, didn't know about that. I wouldn't guarantee that that would persist across updates, of course. I suppose I would say:

There isn't any Apple supported method of altering the carrier name.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ryand-Smith posted:

Are you like a child, because I can use my iPhone 6 plus one handed, it's why I got the phone, the 4 was just absurdly tiny for adult use.

Yeah I'm not a huge dude by any stretch and I use my 6+ one handed all the time.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Ryand-Smith posted:

I have to wear size small gloves :(

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I use my 6+ all the time with one hand and I don't have freakishly large hands. Using Swype for the keyboard probably helps.

It's a huge phone on the first day of use. It's a normal phone every day after.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

GutBomb posted:

It's a huge phone on the first day of use. It's a normal phone every day after.

And it makes every other phone feel comically tiny after you get used it.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
I used a 6+ for a week and I have no idea how anyone could use it one handed.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

tofes posted:

You must be a literal child with literal baby hands lmao owned bitch. I can't even.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
When I upgraded to a Galaxy Note 2 from an iPhone 4, it was a HUUUGE jump and by the time the phone stopped working a year later, I really loved the size. Sad that I went down to a M8 and then the even smaller 6. Maybe I don't yet appreciate the smaller form factor but when I'm loving around on my phone on the couch I'd love a 5.5" display.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

tofes posted:

Seems like it might be a problem of definition in addition to man-child hands. IMO it's perfectly "usable" one-handed but there is occasionally poo poo on the opposite side of the screen that just doesn't register your stretching touch.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
Maybe I have small hands I guess but there was basically no way I could grip the phone and reach my thumb across the whole keyboard to type a message. I could barely reach if I let the phone rest on the top of my pinkie and just supported the back with my fingers but it always feels like it's about to fall out of your hand so gently caress that.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

As usual, this 6-months-after-x.0 release is fantastic. 8.3 is really fast (particularly Safari) and I find services like AirDrop far more reliable. I sure hope 9.0 doesn't take two steps back.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

As usual, this 6-months-after-x.0 release is fantastic. 8.3 is really fast (particularly Safari) and I find services like AirDrop far more reliable. I sure hope 9.0 doesn't take two steps back.
The stench of Scott Forstall does not easily wash out.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

So I just found a video from a gig that I presume I had recorded with an iPhone 6 (could've been a 5).

Needless to say the video stabilisation in iOS is really good since I was jerking around like a fool. The way the mic filters out loud noise is kinda cool too.

edit: here's the video if anyone cares https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-QnDro7Ozc

I really hope Apple will improve their low-light sensors for the 6s now that they've purchased that Israeli lens company. Imagine the night time shots one could make :getin:

awesome-express fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Apr 18, 2015

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

awesome-express posted:

I really hope Apple will improve their low-light sensors for the 6s now that they've purchased that Israeli lens company. Imagine the night time shots one could make :getin:

A small sensor only needs a small lens, and fortunately for Apple I'm sure there's still a lot of development that can be done in tiny cell phone camera lenses.

Unfortunately though, low-light sensor performance is utterly dictated by sensor size and pixel pitch. Basically the smaller your light receptor sites (I. E., the smaller the pixel pitch), the worse the noise. Small pitch equates to having "more megapixels", which is fine in good light and looks great on paper, but these sensors necessarily can't also be good at taking photos in low light, compared to a camera that has a same-sized sensor but with larger pitch pixels.

You might then say, well just increase sensor size! But then the lens size necessarily has to increase too. Or you might say, just make the photo sites bigger, and while they could do that, few sensor manufactures do these days because large pixel pitch isn't a camera stat people understand, but the iPhone having only a 5MP camera compared to the Galaxy S7 having 25MP is a bad marketing point for Apple.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
The next thing to happen to phone sensors is curved sensors, which the iPhone 6S (7? whatever) will have. Sony supplies Apple's cameraphone systems (lens and sensor package) and this is where a lot of their R&D has been focused. For a fixed-focal length lens, a curved sensor makes a lot of sense. Less software correction, better lens performance, etc.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Wait....

People still mosh?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

bobfather posted:

A small sensor only needs a small lens, and fortunately for Apple I'm sure there's still a lot of development that can be done in tiny cell phone camera lenses.

Unfortunately though, low-light sensor performance is utterly dictated by sensor size and pixel pitch. Basically the smaller your light receptor sites (I. E., the smaller the pixel pitch), the worse the noise. Small pitch equates to having "more megapixels", which is fine in good light and looks great on paper, but these sensors necessarily can't also be good at taking photos in low light, compared to a camera that has a same-sized sensor but with larger pitch pixels.

You might then say, well just increase sensor size! But then the lens size necessarily has to increase too. Or you might say, just make the photo sites bigger, and while they could do that, few sensor manufactures do these days because large pixel pitch isn't a camera stat people understand, but the iPhone having only a 5MP camera compared to the Galaxy S7 having 25MP is a bad marketing point for Apple.
For reference, a little bit about that company if you haven't seen it:
http://www.macrumors.com/2015/04/14/linx-camera-technology-apple/

Doesn't really sound like lenses as much as cameras (multiple ones, and clear pixels?) and fancy software to go along with them.

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Anyone else have the munchies?
I'm still rocking an iphone 4s on tmobile and it's getting a bit long in the tooth. I'm a bit disappointed to see tmobile has been buying up LTE band 12 spectrum and the iphone 6 does not support it. As a result, I have two questions:

1) I realize this is probably way too early, but do we have any way of knowing if the 6S (7?) will support band 12? I imagine it will, since the galaxy s6 does support band 12, but I'm not too eager to jump to android right now. I also like to keep my phones for as reasonably long as possible (2-3 years), so if I have to wait, I'll wait.

2) Has anyone used a battery replacement kit from ifixit.com and if so, was it worth it? Poor battery life and the fact that I'm effectively at the end of OS updates are my only real complaints.

Edit:

Alright, I have a third question: Is it worth updating my 4s to iOS 8? I haven't done so yet because it's only a 16GB device.

TheBoyBlunder fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 18, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

No one knows that LTE bands the next iPhone will have available. Each new release has had more and more on each given model, so I wouldn't be shocked if it has Band 12. Are you having trouble with coverage such that Band 12 is important to you?

IFixit is good stuff, so there shouldn't be a problem with it. If you're on your original battery, it's almost certainly at the end of its lifespan and you'll see a very big increase with a new one. Whether it's worth it is up to you, of course.

I can't comment on iOS 8 on a 4s, but I think people were saying 8.3 has shown pretty good speed increases on older devices.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

Are you having trouble with coverage such that Band 12 is important to you?
Looks like band 12 is in the 700 Mhz range so it might be a big improvement indoors.

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Anyone else have the munchies?

Endless Mike posted:

No one knows that LTE bands the next iPhone will have available. Each new release has had more and more on each given model, so I wouldn't be shocked if it has Band 12. Are you having trouble with coverage such that Band 12 is important to you?

Honestly not in most day-to-day coverage. I live in the Denver area and I'd just like two things: 1) better signal in large buildings like shopping malls and the convention center, and 2) as much future-proofiness as possible. The lack of band 12 hurts both so I'm probably going to wait. I don't blame Apple since band 12 probably wasn't a worry when the 6 was in the design process. Yes, I know, there's always something better around the corner but the longest I'm willing to wait is the next iphone (6s/7/whatever it is) in October.

quote:

IFixit is good stuff, so there shouldn't be a problem with it. If you're on your original battery, it's almost certainly at the end of its lifespan and you'll see a very big increase with a new one. Whether it's worth it is up to you, of course.

Good to know...I'll probably just do that and decide in September/October when the 6S drops.

quote:

I can't comment on iOS 8 on a 4s, but I think people were saying 8.3 has shown pretty good speed increases on older devices.

Hmm...if I could go back to iOS 7 I'd do it in a heartbeat. For now...I'm going to keep waiting.

kitten smoothie posted:

Looks like band 12 is in the 700 Mhz range so it might be a big improvement indoors.

That's the big reason I'm debating. It should boost rural and indoor signal a lot. Mostly I'm an "every 2 or 3 years" upgrader and I don't want to switch ecosystems or carriers very much, or upgrade again in 6 months just to get a new feature. If a replacement battery can get me through to the 6S I'll be satisfied.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Is there some sort of screen protector trick? Just tried to install one of those glass screen protectors and ended up throwing it out since I may as well have been putting the protector on a sheet of dust.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Protocol7 posted:

Is there some sort of screen protector trick? Just tried to install one of those glass screen protectors and ended up throwing it out since I may as well have been putting the protector on a sheet of dust.

I use the hot shower trick. Run a hot shower without the fan on to get steam built up, turn the shower off, wait about 10 minutes for the mist to bring down the dust with it, and then give it a go. I've done this with every screen protector I've installed and it's worked perfectly.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Or you could just use the plain screen as God (Steve) intended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

withak posted:

Or you could just use the plain screen as God (Steve) intended.

I quite like the anti-glare matte screen protectors, particularly because they reduce fingerprint smudges and you can see the screen much better outdoors. Sure it decreases the clarity of the screen somewhat, but, for me, the benefits of using them definitely outweigh the negatives.