Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

We did with hurricane and flooding relief in PA. Either you put "None" or the odd looter under the enemy paragraph.

That should probably change, then and this is a perfect example of why. In a highly visible, politically sensitive situation having the actual military come in from out of town and refer to US persons as "enemy" is going to cause exactly this problem.
Especially if that military force has some white supremacist issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr_Ruckus
Jul 8, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

That should probably change, then and this is a perfect example of why. In a highly visible, politically sensitive situation having the actual military come in from out of town and refer to US persons as "enemy" is going to cause exactly this problem.

It's the title of the section of the OPORD format. It's there for threat assessment. And if you're calling in the military, there's obviously some sort of threat. In reality, it's because the Guard just copy and pastes 90% of their OPORDs and just change the places, dates, etc. as needed instead of writing entirely new ones every time.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

This is kinda funny because, if I remember right, the NG was pretty restrained in handling the protests. The shitheads were the County Sheriff, playing with their new toys. They teargassed a loving camera crew that wasn't even close to protestors.

E: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqqp_LAVklA

Completely forgot that they got caught on camera, taking down the cameras after they tear gassed the crew.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 17, 2015

USMC503
Jan 15, 2012

For satisfactory performance while under the effects of hostile enemy alcohol.

Slim Pickens posted:

I can always just buy more beer, you can't buy your dignity back.

You already joined the military. O.o

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Stultus Maximus posted:

Are you retarded?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Stultus Maximus posted:

It's a template that has been widely used for a long rear end time now. Besides that, it's just semantics. Change "Enemy" to "Threats" if that sits better with people, when commanders sit down and figure out MET-TC or whatever the acronym is now they're going to separate cvilian threats from the civilian considerations portion and lump it into planning for an enemy.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

OZYMANDICKASS posted:

Are you retarded?

USMC503 posted:

You already joined the military. O.o

MaxPowers
Dec 29, 2004

bitcoin bastard posted:

This is kinda funny because, if I remember right, the NG was pretty restrained in handling the protests. The shitheads were the County Sheriff, playing with their new toys. They teargassed a loving camera crew that wasn't even close to protestors.

E: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqqp_LAVklA

Completely forgot that they got caught on camera, taking down the cameras after they tear gassed the crew.

would stand in tear gas yelling " gently caress you police, this weak poo poo aint nuff'n gimme some more "

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

Do they use the same language and op order in providing tornado relief?

Yes.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

OZYMANDICKASS posted:

Are you retarded?

Because I think that things like humanitarian assistance and MSCA missions are different enough from military operations that they should have different planning and execution?
Do you not understand that use of military on American soil with civilians is inherently a politically sensitive action and needs to take that into account?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
"it's been done that way forever!" is never a defense for anything. Hooray for its longevity, maybe it's time to change it. I 100% understand the reasoning behind it, but would changing it to "Opposing Forces" be so bad? Hell, OPFOR is already a thing.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Stultus Maximus posted:

Because I think that things like humanitarian assistance and MSCA missions are different enough from military operations that they should have different planning and execution?
Do you not understand that use of military on American soil with civilians is inherently a politically sensitive action and needs to take that into account?

I understand that the military is a giant loving organization in which standardization is of huge importance. Several others have already explained why the word "enemy" appears on these orders. If someone isn't able to parse the reasoning behind it, maybe that's on them?

The National Guard getting called into town means somebody hosed up. Stop complaining about the lipstick on the pig. Don't feign stupidity on behalf of others. It isn't constructive.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
pretty sure having those standards is the retarded thing

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

OZYMANDICKASS posted:

I understand that the military is a giant loving organization in which standardization is of huge importance. Several others have already explained why the word "enemy" appears on these orders. If someone isn't able to parse the reasoning behind it, maybe that's on them?

The National Guard getting called into town means somebody hosed up. Stop complaining about the lipstick on the pig. Don't feign stupidity on behalf of others. It isn't constructive.

there's a news article where people were freaking about the NG doing armed patrols in california neighborhoods when it was just a road march. not relevant to what you are saying but i thought it was funny.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Cole posted:

there's a news article where people were freaking about the NG doing armed patrols in california neighborhoods when it was just a road march. not relevant to what you are saying but i thought it was funny.

Wait.. a MARCH?! That just sounds so ... MILITANT.

We really gotta do something about the language used by the people we pay to murder browns in defense of capitalism.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Cole posted:

It's kind of relevant because it's not on the civilian population to understand military bureaucracy. It's on the military to adapt their bureaucracy when interacting with civilians.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Stultus Maximus posted:

It's kind of relevant because it's not on the civilian population to understand military bureaucracy. It's on the military to adapt their bureaucracy when interacting with civilians.

Oh, I didn't realize the national guard distributed the OPORDs press release style to the people of Ferguson.

My bad.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

OZYMANDICKASS posted:

Oh, I didn't realize the national guard distributed the OPORDs press release style to the people of Ferguson.

My bad.

Even in internal stuff we keep switching between "Sea of Japan" and "East Sea" because of political sensitivity so :shrug:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
All enemies, foreign and domestic.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

"it's been done that way forever!" is never a defense for anything. Hooray for its longevity, maybe it's time to change it. I 100% understand the reasoning behind it, but would changing it to "Opposing Forces" be so bad? Hell, OPFOR is already a thing.

Opposing Forces is used in some templates. The Situation paragraph is supposed to provide information on MET-TC factors. It's kept generally the same everywhere so that everyone can understand it.

With that being said, criminal activity is oftentimes placed under the civil considerations subparagraph so yeah.

USMC503
Jan 15, 2012

For satisfactory performance while under the effects of hostile enemy alcohol.
The final solution is to nuke Ferguson from orbit.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Stultus Maximus posted:

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
late to the party but on the air travel thing i think presenting my cac card should be a red flag for tsa because it is official documentation i am a dumb idiot and may very well have done something numbskull like regarding my luggage

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

That NG march video was just posted in the conspiracy thread.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj7efDgGRH0

The comments are glorious. :allears:

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
e: That's a lovely source, and after looking around with finding any real verification, I can't keep that story up. Disregard.

Naked Bear fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Apr 18, 2015

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Larry Parrish posted:

All enemies, foreign and domestic.

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR

All enemies, brown and browner.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

USMC503 posted:

The final solution is to nuke Ferguson from orbit.

Get rekt bitch

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Lazy Reservist posted:

All enemies, brown and browner.

I'd re-enlist yesterday if they let us take this oath as a blood oath / violent and homicidal group suicide pact in a properly militant enough ceremony prominently featuring alcohol and the otherizing of.. Others.

The whole sexual assault leniency thing needs to be less implied and more directive in the enlistment oath IMHO.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
Also Brown and Browner is the working title for my ISIS themed buddy Romcom I'm hoping to have casting ready by fall.

It's set in an Islamic broke back mountain, which is of course all Islamic mountains, and is a pretty big sausage fest cast wise but the second act is full of boypussy and goat meat. And is exactly why there's no smell-o-vision.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Third World Reggin posted:

pretty sure having those standards is the retarded thing

No, you're thinking of Missouri.

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

Stultus Maximus posted:

The MDMP is equally applicable regardless of the nature of the mission. Yes, the use of the military on US soil is politically sensitive, however when troops show up with no weapons to fight a forest fire or provide tornado relief or what the gently caress ever the citizens need to stop being hypersensitive fucklords.

As for "white supremacist issues" a few soliders here and there are not "White supremacist issues" of the whole force.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Kiryen posted:

The MDMP is equally applicable regardless of the nature of the mission. Yes, the use of the military on US soil is politically sensitive, however when troops show up with no weapons to fight a forest fire or provide tornado relief or what the gently caress ever the citizens need to stop being hypersensitive fucklords.

As for "white supremacist issues" a few soliders here and there are not "White supremacist issues" of the whole force.

lol no, National Guard is significantly more retarded than even regular Army.

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

Stultus Maximus posted:

still does not excuse the citizenry freaking out over semantics.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Kiryen posted:

still does not excuse the citizenry freaking out over semantics.

I see you have zero concept of the topic, so I'll just leave you alone.

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

Stultus Maximus posted:

I have zero concept of the topic, so I'll just leave you alone.

You do that.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

Having worked with both, and I'd say the rate of retardation is about equal. The only difference is National Guard soldiers are in worse shape and know what it's like to not be treated like a child on a day to day basis.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Enemy Forces

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Baloogan posted:

Enemy Forces

Should have been done long ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

psydude posted:

Should have been done long ago.

It was. Citing events from 40 years ago as evidence of present problems means you're ~questioning authority, man~

• Locked thread