Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Skwirl posted:

Why do we think Walker is a real candidate again?

Because he's a tier-1 Republican candidate. Several term governor of a traditionally blue state which he'd likely carry in the general, and he's the only Republican in the race able to successfully straddle the line between establishment money and the TeaParty grassroots crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
I'm a few pages back and incredibly disappointed that nobody called the Hilary eating at Chipotle "scandal" Beanghazi.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

My Imaginary GF posted:

Because he's a tier-1 Republican candidate. He's the only Republican in the race able to successfully straddle the line between establishment money and the TeaParty grassroots crazy.

:lol:

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Dirk the Average posted:

I'm a few pages back and incredibly disappointed that nobody called the Hilary eating at Chipotle "scandal" Beanghazi.

Someone beat you to it a dozen pages back or something.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Skwirl posted:

Has credentials typically associated with successful candidates, holds views in the mainstream of the party, is liked and respected by party actors.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

I know this may seem like madness to us, you're not thinking like an establish Republican would.

Joementum posted:

Has credentials typically associated with successful candidates, holds views in the mainstream of the party, is liked and respected by party actors.

See? Joementum, now there's a guy who, on the fly, can think like a Republican.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

My Imaginary GF posted:

Because he's a tier-1 Republican candidate. Several term governor of a traditionally blue state which he'd likely carry in the general, and he's the only Republican in the race able to successfully straddle the line between establishment money and the TeaParty grassroots crazy.

Eeeh, still not convinced.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Dirk the Average posted:

See, that's the thing, did she even GET beans in the burrito bowl? If not, all of the concerns about farting on the bus seem a bit off point.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Skwirl posted:

Eeeh, still not convinced.

Because you're likely not a Republican.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

I know it's been explained in here before, but I still don't get it.

Why do candidates have a time limit on when they have to announce? Like how Hillary had until last Sunday to announce, why is that? Explain as if I'm a particularly stupid small child

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

My Imaginary GF posted:

I know this may seem like madness to us, you're not thinking like an establish Republican would.

Is this english?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Is MIGF a joke poster, a threadshitter or just an idiot? I honestly can't tell.

edit: VVV I can't read that, I blocked you a while ago

redreader fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Apr 17, 2015

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

blunt for century posted:

Why do candidates have a time limit on when they have to announce? Like how Hillary had until last Sunday to announce, why is that? Explain as if I'm a particularly stupid small child

Media narrative, "Is it too late for X? In this crowded field, is there any room left for Y?" Take for instance Chris Christie. He wants to run, sure, his supporters see him as hedging the longer he delays. The more folks hedge, the less committed they are to your candidacy and your candidacy alone.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

My Imaginary GF posted:

Media narrative, "Is it too late for X? In this crowded field, is there any room left for Y?" Take for instance Chris Christie. He wants to run, sure, his supporters see him as hedging the longer he delays. The more folks hedge, the less committed they are to your candidacy and your candidacy alone.

Ah, okay, I thought it was a legal thing for some reason

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Skwirl posted:

He hates unions and govt spending

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

My Imaginary GF posted:

He's polling badly in Wisconsin now sorry

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

joeburz posted:

When was the last time facts mattered in a primary fight, 1968?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

No don't listen to MIGF, it has to do with fundraising laws but joementum is going to have to fill in on the details. Basically she did something that counts as starting a campaign so she has to actually start a campaign and follow FEC rules instead of the less rigorous 'exploratory committee' fundraising rules.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Jeb Bush, on Chipotle: “Do I go there? Yeah, I go there. The one on US 1. Drive my own car, park my own car, get out of my own car. Get Chipotle, take it home.”

His own car!

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

My Imaginary GF posted:

When was the last time facts mattered in a primary fight, 1968?

I was addressing your point of him carrying wisconsin. It won't happen, although people will vote for him in the primary regardless.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

The calculus is different for Hillary and the other candidates. Hillary wanted to announce around this time to prevent the situation where she waited too long and other Democrats started to think she wasn't actually going to run. They'd then enter the race and distract from her campaign. Her announcement now effectively clears the field so that it's her against Martin O'Malley, Lincoln Chafee, Jim Webb, and Bernie Sanders, none of whom have any chance of ever beating her. But if she'd waited until September maybe Kirsten Gillibrand or Deval Patrick would start making some extra trips to Iowa.

Clinton was also on a timeline for announcing because she wanted to set up an actual campaign operation targeted at the general election. The more names you collect now, the biggest the email list you put together, the more volunteers you enlist, the bigger networks you create in battleground states, the better you'll do in November. This requires an actual campaign office and actual campaign staffers paid in actual campaign dollars and the FEC rules state that as soon as you start doing any of that you have to declare as a candidate within 15 days.

The timeline for the Republicans is much different. They need to announce as soon as they know they have a shot because they need to start collecting money to attack each other and finance their trips to primary states. The only reason that you don't want to declare is that as soon as you do you have to start actually... campaigning.

Here's the history of campaign announcements. For reference, Hillary declared her campaign 286 days before February 1, 2016 which her campaign says is going to be the date of the Iowa Caucuses (they're wrong, but it's a minor point).

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

No don't listen to MIGF, it has to do with fundraising laws but joementum is going to have to fill in on the details. Basically she did something that counts as starting a campaign so she has to actually start a campaign and follow FEC rules instead of the less rigorous 'exploratory committee' fundraising rules.

What all counts as starting a campaign?

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Jeb Bush, on Chipotle: “Do I go there? Yeah, I go there. The one on US 1. Drive my own car, park my own car, get out of my own car. Get Chipotle, take it home.”

His own car!

Oh poo poo, really? drat, he's just like me. I should vote for him for president.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

According to the FEC:

FEC posted:

Individual Becomes a Candidate
An individual becomes a candidate for federal office (and thus triggers registration and reporting obligations under the Act) when his or her campaign exceeds $5,000 in either contributions or expenditures. The threshold is reached when any one of the circumstances described below occurs.

Receives Contributions or Makes Expenditures
The individual receives contributions or makes expenditures, either of which aggregate over $5,000. 11 CFR 100.3(a)(1). Funds raised and spent to test the waters apply to this $5,000 threshold once the individual decides to run for office.

Authorizes Campaign Activity
The individual authorizes another person to accept contributions or make expenditures on his or her behalf, and the authorized person receives contributions or makes expenditures which exceed $5,000. 11 CFR 100.3(a)(2).

Fails to Disavow Campaign Activity

The individual fails to write the Commission a letter disavowing unauthorized campaign efforts on his or her behalf within 30 days after being notified by the FEC that another person has received contributions or made expenditures of more than $5,000 on the individual’s behalf. 11 CFR 100.3(a)(3).

Reaches Aggregate Threshold
The individual and other persons (described above), in any combination, together receive contributions or make expenditures in excess of $5,000 on the individual’s behalf. 11 CFR 100.3(a)(4).

Registration by Candidate
Within 15 days after an individual becomes a candidate, he or she must designate a principal campaign committee as the principal committee to receive contributions and make expenditures on the candidate’s behalf. This designation must be made in writing by filing a Statement of Candidacy (FEC Form 2 [PDF]) or by filing a letter with the same information (i.e., the individual's name and address, the district and/or state in which the federal office is sought, and the name and address of his or her principal campaign committee). 11 CFR 101.1(a). Candidates for the House and Presidency file Form 2 with the FEC, while Senate candidates file Form 2 with the Secretary of the Senate.

I think the thing with Hillary was that renting the building she was going to use for the campaign office would have put her over the $5000 threshold and thus require her to declare candidacy within 15 days.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

redreader posted:

Is MIGF a joke poster, a threadshitter or just an idiot? I honestly can't tell.

edit: VVV I can't read that, I blocked you a while ago

:MIGF:DnD::SMG:CineD:

He takes rather realistic readings of what's actually happening and states their plain meanings, but mixes in spin and alternate explanations when he want's to troll. Like 40% is the kind of poo poo you rapidly pick up if you spend a few years working campaigns (eg primacy of money, that a donation from someone in district is worth more than a donation out of district because uit is a commitment to vote, but that can be overridden in value if the out of district donates a sufficiently larger sum. Or references to filing and FEC rules.) and 60% loving with you spin (eg last year in the Ferguson thread opening a post with a quote or reference to Richard Nixon, then spend the rest oft he post referring to Governor Jay Nixon only by his last name, so a bunch of goons reacted like he was claiming Tricky Dick was running Missouri)

He's one of the better trolls in that he is actually trolling, saying fairly reasonable (within mainstream american dialog at least) things and getting people to overreact, not saying batshit things and when people say "that's nuts" claim to have been trolling.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

joeburz posted:

So was Romney in Massachusetts.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Has the Hillary ad from America Rising PAC been discussed?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8k1-PdKfKX0

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

Fried Chicken posted:

So was Romney in Massachusetts.

And Romney lost mass. Again I was pointing out how migf was wrong about walker carrying his home state, not his desirability in a GOP primary.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

My Imaginary GF posted:

Clinton's reaction to first story: 'Cut that poo poo out, I have a base to pander to! You want access? Well gently caress you, correct yourselves.'

Politico yesterday: 'Do we want access?'

Politico today: 'Clinton jilts Wall Street!'

This is why I don't like Clinton as a candidate, she's got an authoritarian mindset, not a collaborationist one.

An authoritarian mindset, which you deduced from this exchange that you completely made the gently caress up?

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Who is the way early person in 2004? I thought Howard Dean, but wikipedia says he formed a exploratory committee on May 31, 2002, but didn't formally announce until June 23, 2003.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

OctoberBlues posted:

Who is the way early person in 2004? I thought Howard Dean, but wikipedia says he formed a exploratory committee on May 31, 2002, but didn't formally announce until June 23, 2003.

I believe that graphic is using the exploratory committee announcement dates to get more data. Most candidates only ever form exploratory committees and never formally announce. This year will probably be different in that regard.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

CaptainCarrot posted:

An authoritarian mindset, which you deduced from this exchange that you completely made the gently caress up?

Its a pattern of behavior from team hillary, you're either with Hil22 or you're dead to Hil22.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
If you'd like to report instances of the Clinton Foundation accepting foreign contributions you can report them via Rand's campaign website.

This is IN NO WAY an attempt to build his campaign contact list!!!

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

CaptainCarrot posted:

Honestly, I hope MIGF is kind of right about her. We've had 8 years (well, 6 years) of collaborationist attempts and it's so obvious the other side's not playing that even Obama's not trying for bipartisanship now. I want Hillary to be the political murder machine she's made out to be, because gently caress this Congress forever.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

My Imaginary GF posted:

Clinton's reaction to first story: 'Cut that poo poo out, I have a base to pander to! You want access? Well gently caress you, correct yourselves.'

Politico yesterday: 'Do we want access?'

Politico today: 'Clinton jilts Wall Street!'

This is why I don't like Clinton as a candidate, she's got an authoritarian mindset, not a collaborationist one.

Yeah, I hate it when Clinton does a thing I totally imagined in my head and then claimed as fact.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

Honestly, I hope MIGF is kind of right about her. We've had 8 years (well, 6 years) of collaborationist attempts and it's so obvious the other side's not playing that even Obama's not trying for bipartisanship now. I want Hillary to be the political murder machine she's made out to be, because gently caress this Congress forever.

Hillary is the LBJ to Obama's Kennedy.

That's a good thing. LBJ got momentous poo poo done that a man with a lesser spine, balls, or volume of blackmail could not have accomplished.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

My Imaginary GF posted:

Its a pattern of behavior from team hillary, you're either with Hil22 or you're dead to Hil22.

As shown by what, though?

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jazerus posted:

Hillary is the LBJ to Obama's Kennedy.

That's a good thing. LBJ got momentous poo poo done that a man with a lesser spine, balls, or volume of blackmail could not have accomplished.

LBJ is legitimately one of my top historical presidents I look to when considering a candidate and perhaps because of this I don't think Hillary is quite that caliber, but neither is Obama a Jack Kennedy, so perhaps the shoe fits.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Juvenalian.Satyr posted:

LBJ is legitimately one of my top historical presidents I look to when considering a candidate and perhaps because of this I don't think Hillary is quite that caliber, but neither is Obama a Jack Kennedy, so perhaps the shoe fits.

It's weird as hell that when he left office, he was seen as a complete failure with his domestic policies screwing up the nation and the only bright spot of his administration being his escalation of Vietnam.

Times change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

My Imaginary GF posted:

Which Team Hillary? Because Team Hillary 2008 is substantially different from Team Hillary 2016

• Locked thread