Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat
Holy poo poo, those were some clutch decisions in that mission working out in your favour. Are these big Sectoid packs normal in Long War? Poor Legoman's brain's turned to soup by now, as well. How long is he out of commission again?

ProfessorBooty posted:

The good news is that :siren:Detheros is a Corporal now, and needs a nickname!:siren:

Green glowy beard? 'Neon'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I am perfectly a-okay with being given a shotgun and pumping buckshot into aliens in a balls to the wall rush! I had been hoping for assault originally until I learned scouts can use shotguns too, so it's all good in my book. I'm looking forward to seeing the changes for Scouts, even though I have no idea what they would have gotten before anyway!

A question about MECs though, is it similiar to vanilla where MECs have their own skill tree and current rank of the soldier you MEC is applied to it?

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Dinictus posted:

Holy poo poo, those were some clutch decisions in that mission working out in your favour. Are these big Sectoid packs normal in Long War? Poor Legoman's brain's turned to soup by now, as well. How long is he out of commission again?

Alien groups get bigger as time goes on :twisted: . Legoman will be out for 24 days, which is pretty short compared to what we hopefully won't see later.

Edit: MECs have their own unique trees based on the class that you MEC.

ProfessorBooty fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 17, 2015

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

ProfessorBooty posted:

MECs have their own unique trees based on the class that you MEC.

That's pretty fricken cool, can't wait to see some of the differences.

Also my vote for Dethro's nick is gonna get tossed in for Neon.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
I don't suppose you can give my character a sex change? :v:

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Koorisch posted:

Gender is set on recruitment and arrival at XCOM HQ. No time for gender reassignment surgery, we're fighting aliens. There's only time for lopping off your other limbs :j:

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008
I'm still struggling to fully process the idea that things went from "half the squad is going to die" to "luckiest motherfuckers alive" to "a guy with a pink beard just murdered half the aliens" in the space of 5 minutes. Not that I'm complaining, of course. I'm just really curious how the history textbooks will handle it when humanity wins and things start becoming public.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

FoolyCharged posted:

As long as he gets nicknamed potty poster should he earn one.

Poopin' Elmo to Strike One.
Poopin' Elmo come in Strike One.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Spent most of the mission as a quivering puddle, but at least I took out the Floater in the end. :shobon:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Kaislioc posted:

I'm just really curious how the history textbooks will handle it when humanity wins and things start becoming public.

This just in! The gray alien menace sprung a devious trap upon our brave soldiers, but lance corporals Superstring and Detharos used our superior human tactics and weaponry to overcome the alien tides and stop the abductions before they could go any further. The soldiers conducted themselves spotlessly and the alien technologies they recovered have provided large leaps in bounds in many areas of research. Any reports of soldiers pissing themselves under fire and ignoring orders or those of xcom then shilling the alien corpses off to the highest bidder are patently false and the words of alien lovers. Now back to Jim with sports.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I just want to say that I'm following the thread and waiting for the chance to die for Earth. This episode was pretty tense.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Koorisch posted:

My soldiers are like my children, I can choose their name, but I can't choose their gender.

By the way I do keep track of everyone's specific tastes, and though I might bend the rules on some requests (such as EggsAisle), the one thing I'll always honor is gender.

ProfessorBooty fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Apr 18, 2015

ChaosDragon
Jul 13, 2014
So I am a Weapons Guy?

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

ChaosDragon posted:

So I am a Weapons Guy?

Yes, you'll likely be a gunner, now that I think I have the officer situation figured out.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

In that case, I would love to be the guy who has a shotgun primary and a sawed off secondary. When all out of shotgun, here's another shotgun!

Tempted to try this mod out for myself with the Second Wave option that shortens things a bit. Dynamic War? I'm not sure I have enough time in my life to play a full length game of this, but I'd like to play with the class variety. In the meantime, this LP is enough.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Lotish posted:

In that case, I would love to be the guy who has a shotgun primary and a sawed off secondary. When all out of shotgun, here's another shotgun!

Tempted to try this mod out for myself with the Second Wave option that shortens things a bit. Dynamic War? I'm not sure I have enough time in my life to play a full length game of this, but I'd like to play with the class variety. In the meantime, this LP is enough.

I would recommend instead of trying beta 15 Dynamic War to instead do beta 14 'Not So Long War', Beta 14 is a lot more finely tuned in general right now anyway after all the additions to Beta 15. Dynamic War is kind of in a crazy untuned state right now.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Glad to see that everyone performed well on that mission.

That smell? Ignore it while I wash my pants.

Dinictus posted:

I like this.

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011
Just wondering, but why don't you swap to using the pistol more often with your shotgunners? I'd think it'd be preferable to take the lesser, but more likely damage than chance missing a shot entirely.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

DeliciousCookie posted:

Just wondering, but why don't you swap to using the pistol more often with your shotgunners? I'd think it'd be preferable to take the lesser, but more likely damage than chance missing a shot entirely.

pistols have a big accuracy penalty without gunslinger. chances are it would be just as bad as the shotgun accuracy wise.

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011
Really? Thats pretty dumb. I thought the whole point of having pistols with you as a side arm was for the increased accuracy, but decreased damage. What benefit do they serve now then?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

DeliciousCookie posted:

Really? Thats pretty dumb. I thought the whole point of having pistols with you as a side arm was for the increased accuracy, but decreased damage. What benefit do they serve now then?

out of ammo basically. machine pistols are good for assaults, switch when you're out of ammo, and you're typically close enough that the accuracy penalty doesn't amount to much.

e: a funny thing with an earlier version of long war was that sectoids didn't have gunslinger by default, so they were super pushovers.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Apr 18, 2015

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

DeliciousCookie posted:

They're strictly for backup purposes in LW.

Riobs
Oct 30, 2011

drat that last mission was tough, glad nobody died, even though some of them seemed like they should have. Also I know there are a lot of people signed up but put me in coach, I'm happy with whatever class.

Pronunciation of my name is "Rye-obs" if I get a spot ( http://www.pronunciationgenerator.com/p/dUGnh/Riobs.mp3 )

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
The mission would have been a pushover if I spent five minutes actually looking at my squad before sending them out, and if I kept my squad closer together, like some sort of shotgun katamari.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

ProfessorBooty posted:

The mission would have been a pushover if I spent five minutes actually looking at my squad before sending them out, and if I kept my squad closer together, like some sort of shotgun katamari.

That wouln't have made as entertaining a video mind you

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Does killing the sectoid providing the mind merge kill the other sectoid in Long War or does it just damage them? I always found that useful when I would get swarmed in Vanilla.

And I'd love to be a sniper or a MEC with a giant gun if it's not too late to sneak in.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

seaborgium posted:

Does killing the sectoid providing the mind merge kill the other sectoid in Long War or does it just damage them? I always found that useful when I would get swarmed in Vanilla.

And I'd love to be a sniper or a MEC with a giant gun if it's not too late to sneak in.

just damages them. it's for the best now though, because mind merge is a skill your psi troops can get now. having 2 troops die if someone lucky crits your psi would suuuuuuck.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Long War looks unbelievable. I don't really like playing Xcom in a "gamey" way but from what I have seen so for it looks like it is impossible without exploiting the system.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Phrosphor posted:

Long War looks unbelievable. I don't really like playing Xcom in a "gamey" way but from what I have seen so for it looks like it is impossible without exploiting the system.

I guess it depends on your definition of exploitation. If you're talking Line of Sight and Distance to bad guys, then yes, there is exploitation. I typically refer to this exploitation as 'stealth tactics'. If you're talking abusing AI tendencies, I think of this as the enemies trained for war in a 'classic conditioning' sense. If you're talking about box or funneling strategies, I refer to this as 'Taking advantage of the enemy's weakness'.

If you're talking tilescanning, then yes, that's cheaty and wrong. I'll try to tone it down.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

ProfessorBooty posted:

I guess it depends on your definition of exploitation. If you're talking Line of Sight and Distance to bad guys, then yes, there is exploitation. I typically refer to this exploitation as 'stealth tactics'. If you're talking abusing AI tendencies, I think of this as the enemies trained for war in a 'classic conditioning' sense. If you're talking about box or funneling strategies, I refer to this as 'Taking advantage of the enemy's weakness'.

If you're talking tilescanning, then yes, that's cheaty and wrong. I'll try to tone it down.

Don't misunderstand, I wasn't having a go at you for doing things like that. Just making an observation that the mod seems to be incredibly difficult and punishing to people who Don't know/do these tactics. Keep doing what you need to do to get through this war!

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Phrosphor posted:

Don't misunderstand, I wasn't having a go at you for doing things like that. Just making an observation that the mod seems to be incredibly difficult and punishing to people who Don't know/do these tactics. Keep doing what you need to do to get through this war!

I understand :) I didn't think you were attacking my tactics or gameplay. I'll defend Long War to a point, but there are many valid concerns on the direction the mod took, particularly in the 15th iteration. It does require a much better understanding of how to use 'gamey' tactics, but at the same time once you're used to these tactics then you can pull off a lot of neat tricks that can't be described very well in words. The overall skill ceiling is a lot higher.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

ProfessorBooty posted:

I would recommend instead of trying beta 15 Dynamic War to instead do beta 14 'Not So Long War', Beta 14 is a lot more finely tuned in general right now anyway after all the additions to Beta 15. Dynamic War is kind of in a crazy untuned state right now.

Not least of its problems being that Exalt missions scale differently from alien missions, so you'll get half as many missions and 10-14 day fatigue timers, but Exalt cells will still pop up every week or so. Fun times*.

*Times may not actually be fun. Please consult your doctor before deciding a Long War campaign is right for you.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
I find the tactics discussions and gamey exploits to be interesting sometimes, but it's hard for me to watch a 1 hour video every episode when the real battle takes like 5-6 turns. If XCOM is baseball then Jade Star's Rootbeer Chat is a normal game and your missions are Red Sox vs. Yankees.

Anyways, I'm enjoying the LP overall, just hope you're able to shave some time off each mission is all :)

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

The Casualty posted:

Anyways, I'm enjoying the LP overall, just hope you're able to shave some time off each mission is all :)

Noted. The good news is I'll be able to start pushing forward faster when I feel confident I won't have to describe some mechanics and tactics. These April missions have been pretty rough in general and there haven't been many 'palette cleansing' small UFOs or anything. Sometimes I have to stop to get Kidneyman on the same page - the problem with collaboration.

Znorelag
Oct 25, 2009
There's bound to be some long episodes for this game, just keep up the good work. I think it's been an interesting LP so far and will continue following it! I would have failed and wiped my whole team by now if I was the one playing some of those missions.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Youtube Link

We crash a Floater party in a Russian cemetery. Kidneyman and I are still dealing with Real Life/Scheduling changes. He should have told me he wasn't up to recording but once we started it was kind of too late :/ . There is another scheduling thing popping up but I think we figured it out.

Let's Talk about GUNS

Sniper Rifle and Marksman Rifle

I could have been using the Marksman rifle on scouts some time ago, but scouts don't have inherent squadsight (there is a small item that grants scouts limited squadsight).

Sniper Rifles can only be equipped by snipers, and without snapshot they cannot be shot after moving. The advantage is unlimited squad sight and slightly higher base chance to crit. Less mobility for a sniper using a Sniper Rifle.

Marksman Rifles can be shot after moving without snapshot penalties, again, with the disadvantage of the limited squadsight. This makes Snipers a little more vulnerable in some ways (more likely to be shot by bad guys), and less vulnerable in other ways (less likely to be flapping in the breeze when a floater uses lift off, or being tentacled by a seeker)

I tend to snag Marksman Rifles if I predict there will be Line of Sight issues with a given map. A Sniper rifle would have been a better option on this map, but being able to reposition CongoJack without penalty was nice.

Airgame?! WTF?!

Yeah... Obviously the air game is a lot tougher in Long War. That, and I've been getting pretty unlucky. Crashed UFOs are a great source of training, and I only had one crashed UFO in March (would have been two if I hadn't misjudged the interception time window on the first UFO).

UFOs are either High, Low, or NOE (Nap of the Earth). NOE UFOs are either going to generate a terror mission, an abduction mission, or create a landing site. A Flashing NOE UFO is going on a bombing run to increase panic. A Low UFO is likely scouting, and a High UFO is likely going satellite hunting (and will also be flashing).

Interceptors have 3 stances, and each stance affects their likelihood to hit and to be hit. As pilots get kills, their percent to hit goes up.

Victory in air combat either results in a crash site, or the UFO is destroyed. This is based on how much damage the UFO takes before its downed, and how high the UFO is when it is downed. The damage taken also affects the likelihood of getting UFO spoils - such as power sources and flight computers.

The UFOs that we have a chance at now are Scouts, Raiders, Fighters, and Destroyers. Scouts and Raiders are more susceptible to Avalanche Missiles, while Fighters and Destroyers are susceptible to Sting Ray missiles (Avalanches do more damage, but cannot penetrate armor well, Sting Rays do less damage but have more armor penetration).

UFOs on a satellite hunting mission abort the attempt if they lose 50% of their health (and you see the explosion effects). Even if you cannot get them to 50% health, the act of damaging them reduces the likelihood of them successfully taking down a satellite (The likelihood reduces linearly until it gets to 0 at 50%). Damaging a UFO on a bombing run reduces the panic it causes linearly to zero (when the UFO is destroyed).

Why do I abort the interception attempt if the interceptor takes no damage? I do this to artificially increase how much time the interceptor spends attacking the UFO in question. It hasn't happened yet, but I've taken down medium UFOs with conventional weapons using one interceptor while taking no damage using this trick, so its also part superstition.

Double Rabite
Mar 30, 2010

Typical Saturday night dance party.
This LP made me go through the effort of getting this mod, and wow, you are not getting very many encounters. I am running something like a 40 man team and often finding myself short on soldiers. I’ve ran out a couple of times and had to ignore some missions!
Anyways I guess I am a little late to the party so I can’t be a soldier. But if you need more pilots, sign me up.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Double Rabite posted:

This LP made me go through the effort of getting this mod, and wow, you are not getting very many encounters. I am running something like a 40 man team and often finding myself short on soldiers. I’ve ran out a couple of times and had to ignore some missions!
Anyways I guess I am a little late to the party so I can’t be a soldier. But if you need more pilots, sign me up.

Yeah, for sure. I have a couple single player games that I casually play outside the LP just so I have a more clear idea what to expect month-by-month, and both of them are going so much better than this.

There will be some rough times ahead - the terror mission in April really bought us time, at the very least, so that may have slowed alien progression a little.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Man, that airgame looks kind of annoying to deal with rather then interesting. The constant engage and disengage, and there's not much clarity for hit chances like in the ground missions. That sort of thing is more forgivable in vanilla because the airgame is way less of a big deal there, but in Long War... seems kinda hosed up.

I mean it's really cool that they've expanded the ship and choices the AI gets to make, but X-Com doesn't get nearly as much in return early on.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Apr 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puukko naamassa
Mar 25, 2010

Oh No! Bruno!
Lipstick Apathy
So still no kills, and my guy got promoted for showing up? Well at least he didn't get blown up this time, and even got to heal a boo-boo.

• Locked thread