Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

closeted republican posted:

There was a show? Oh god.

There were also comic books and some made-for-TV movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Yup.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The show and game are based a series of novels that William Shatner supposedly wrote, the truth is that his coauthor probably did all of it and just used Shatner for the built in fanbase. Seems like the most brazen example of ghostwriting ever. I watched a couple of episodes, it's kind of stupid-fun and Shatner likes to walk around with his hands in his pockets. You can't really expect too much from a show about a virtual reality drug.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

The fact there's a Sci-Fi Network watermark on the upper right corner tells me all I need to know about the quality of the show.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The fact there's a Sci-Fi Network watermark on the upper right corner tells me all I need to know about the quality of the show.
I probably would have enjoyed it when I was a kid.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
The guys at UnrealSP are doing a mapping contest that's open to everyone. Basically, the idea is that an Unreal 1 SP map is passed between people. Each person has one week to add their own part to the map, then they must stop and give it to someone else. The twist is that you can't use any features in Unreal 1 227; it has to be vanilla U1 and UT99 compatible.

More info: http://unrealsp.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3603

The latest version of the map can be found here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0chjg1rphhme30n/UEDGameOfTelephone2015.zip?dl=0

If you've dabbled with Unreal 1/UT99 mapping and have some time, it sounds like it'd be fun. You gotta register there in order to participate, but it' no big deal.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

Casimir Radon posted:

While we're talking about Tekwar. The intro movie, lifted directly from the show, is the worst compressed video I've ever seen.

If you have the DOS CD, it's all in in Bink Video format and their player (here, I think) will cheerfully still play them on modern Windows. Enjoy your Shatner.

Further Shatner

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Haha, I just realized that in The AMC Team, Mikko's first story mission has a Tekwar tribute in its cyberspace hacking.

Of all the games...

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I finally gave up on RotT'13. I got the new patch, with better performance and all that, so I figured I'd jump in again. Unfortunately, I was in episode 4, and it's awful. With the exception of the boss fights, I liked the first 3 episodes, but 4... ugh. Since I got there before any of the updates, I never even got a chance to play with the cool new stuff, like the Doomstick, either. And performance seems to be worse than before for me too. Explosions especially.

I was in E4L3, there's a bit with a roboguard or something that shot rockets at me and I couldn't seem to get it with rockets and with the explosions and performance I couldn't just run past it because there's some platforming to do.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

There's something really bad about ROTT2 that makes me regret playing it. I think it's something about the monotonous color palette, wonky aiming and really weird level design. I think big empty corridors of the original worked better than the style used in remake :shrug:

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I gambled on the RoTT reboot instead of the Shadow Warrior reboot. Oh well, poo poo sucks, move on.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

nftyw posted:

I gambled on the RoTT reboot instead of the Shadow Warrior reboot. Oh well, poo poo sucks, move on.

Thinking I might reinstall that, what with the new patch. That's one Hell of a reboot.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Casimir Radon posted:

is somebody going to give Deus Ex better AI someday. I always get annoyed when they start doing their doofy running in place thing.

Yo!

Only played a bit of the game with it - haven't even gotten inside the Statue - but it really does seem to improve the AI a fair bit. At the very least, the enemies aren't fuckin' blind and deaf anymore, and the tranq darts for the crossbow actually work! I shot a dude in the chest and he dropped in like a second as opposed to running around like a headless chicken.

It seems cool so far. Give it a shot.

e: oh and the increased enemy sight range means I accidentally finally pulled off the Paul Denton Rampage after all these years after I got spotted on the ramp from the docks :v: watching the dude tear through the NSF with a plasma rifle never gets old

cis_eraser_420 fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Apr 18, 2015

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Johnny Law posted:

BTW for anyone messing about with jam 5, or Qonquer in general: one of the guys at func_msgboard (Scampie) has provided a tweaked version of the Qonquer mod that speeds up the enemy progression so the waves get more interesting more quickly. It also fixes a bug w/ weapon cycling: http://scampie.net/files/QuickerQonquer.zip

If you want to get the fixed/changed behaviors from that mod into jam 5, all you need is to copy the new progs.dat into your jam 5 folder.

Anyway I'm not a big fan of "monster waves" gameplay either in Unreal or Qonquer, but so far I am liking poking my head into each of the jam 5 maps for a bit. :-) It looks like it's tough to make this sort of gameplay truly interesting given the normal Quake monster AI though. Maybe if you could lock some monsters in place to force them to be snipers (rather than jumping down into a mosh pit) the fights would get hairier. Probably there's some mapping/placement tricks that could force that behavior without requiring more code changes?

Finished spending some time on all the jam 5 maps (using that QuickerQonquer mod).

If you just want to see IMO the best gameplay in the pack, then try the maps by FifthElephant and Scampie. Scampie's is a multi-arena map -- arena 1 is the standout, actually the best arena in the pack overall, although his arena 3 is definitely worth a play in its own weird way.

Since Qonquer maps are arenas, you can quickly see what a map has to offer, so all the others are still worth a look too. Some great Quake architecture, and they're all fun for at least a few Qonquer rounds.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I was hoping that Qonquer would offer me some slaughterfest style gameplay with dozens of enemies at any given time, in reality I was lucky to get a half dozen. Does the Quicker Qonquer patch up the ante in that department?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Yeah, I played a few of the maps and waves of 2 dogs and maybe a zombie aren't particularly thrilling.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Segmentation Fault posted:

I was hoping that Qonquer would offer me some slaughterfest style gameplay with dozens of enemies at any given time, in reality I was lucky to get a half dozen. Does the Quicker Qonquer patch up the ante in that department?

To some extent. It gets you to the later waves faster. The later waves are larger, but they won't roll dozens of grunts at you... instead it starts mixing in the larger enemies like hell knights, fiends, vores, and shamblers. I usually stopped playing around wave 15 and I think there might have been about 20 enemies per wave at that point? Not sure.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

re: postal 2 dlc

are lattes really that expensive in US?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

laserghost posted:

re: postal 2 dlc

are lattes really that expensive in US?

I hear that Seattle's Best has a team that goes around, bustin skulls up big time on account of people owing money on latte purchases.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

It's an old joke about how Starbucks is like $6 for a small latte.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
It's also a slam dunk on those quintessential shitlords who "made" Spacebase DF-9. A slam dunk.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Postal 2 Paradise Lost is really really fun and having a posse of cyber-brained monkeys killing everyone in the mall was amazing fun. the very first thing i did was get arrested and then break out and steal a sheriff outfit and steal the whole jail armory while smoking health pipes and eating pizza, not too long before a pack of wild dogs attacked the chinese place.

It's like a weird humorous take on Deus Ex/Stalker/Fallout, it's great.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Apr 19, 2015

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
The first few missions seemed meh but it starts getting more interesting.

I liked that one of the missions was pretty much a Stalker reference and there's a 'STOKER: Clear Aisle' arcade cabinet in the mall. Lots of parodies of other games. The first hub is pretty much Fallout.

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!
I found this poster in the game's files, and I love it. Didn't notice it in-game, so anyone still playing Paradise Lost, keep an eye out for it:

Also, a neat little cameo a lot of people might not recognize: John, the player character from the Eternal Damnation mod, appears as a miniboss during the Asylum mission.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

So is the P2: Paradise Lost DLC something that adds to the base game (like, will you find the weapons the DLC adds in the base game) or is the DLC relatively isolated?

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Does PL have a lot of forced shooting segments? It bugged me when the game forced you into doing them when it looked like there could've been other options to deal with the situation (like the post office on Friday) or they were complete asspulls (like the hillbillies on the piss on your Dad's grave objective).

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

So is the P2: Paradise Lost DLC something that adds to the base game (like, will you find the weapons the DLC adds in the base game) or is the DLC relatively isolated?

It's an oldschool expansion, so it's pretty much it's own isolated game.

As for forced shooting, it's mostly built around you having to fight. granted, some situations are really silly, but it's still fun nonetheless.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
^^^ I think they mentioned they're going to add a couple of things from LP to vanilla P2 but I don't have the full list.

Does PL have a lot of forced shooting segments? It bugged me when the game forced you into doing them when it looked like there could've been other options to deal with the situation (like the post office on Friday) or they were complete asspulls (like the hillbillies on the piss on your Dad's grave objective).

The game actually tried to give you options for non-lethal take downs (prod) and other new things added like flashbangs from the very beginning, so you'll have enough stock of what you'll be needing before you meet your first group of hostiles and get passed a group and cause infighting to not take as much damage in a crossfire. Vending machines sell flashbangs for a relatively cheap price. You can also use the brass knuckle alt fire to disarm most enemies in one hit.

One thing to keep in mind is that most missions now start with the usual non-lethal solution and the game keeps hinting at the potential violent or easier solution with the alter ego constantly dropping hints. The non-violent solution are obviously more expensive and might need some more time investment (grab every living cat you see so you can trade for money later). There is one mission where you're forced to kill a few waves of robots (parody of claptrap) in order to progress. The Toilet paper and donation missions are major examples of this. The hillbillies actually make a return where you play the same mission you played in P2 but in reverse.

Also, the final Hell level has two boss fights against your wife. I still haven't finished the second one to know whether you actually murder her or not, but by that point, she's transformed into a demonic giant. This is closest you'll get to the Apocalypse Weekend type of missions where you were absolutely forced to murder to progress.

Overall, it's much better than P2 and the missions you mentioned. I still need to get through my first playthrough and do my own Jesus run to gauge if it's easier or not.

Uncle Kitchener fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Apr 19, 2015

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

My 2007 Wolfenstein mod Spear Revisited has been rereleased for ECWolf so you no longer have to spend four hours swearing at DOSBox to get it to run, you get prerendered music instead of tinny OPL music, and the bosses are actually challenging!

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
poo poo YEAH more Wolf!

Would you ever consider porting Spear End of Destiny or would that be too tricky given all the extra poo poo they've got going on in the code? Or even Spear Resurrection. I want to get into that one but there's no two button strafing. :barf:

Al Cu Ad Solte fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Apr 19, 2015

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

poo poo YEAH more Wolf!

Would you ever consider porting Spear End of Destiny or would that be too tricky given all the extra poo poo they've got going on in the code? Or even Spear Resurrection. I want to get into that one but there's no two button strafing. :barf:
The two Spear sequels can't be ported to ECWolf, due to custom engine features that either aren't currently supported or likely never will be supported.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

The Kins posted:

The two Spear sequels can't be ported to ECWolf, due to custom engine features that either aren't currently supported or likely never will be supported.

Yeah I figured. :smith:

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013

Woolie Wool posted:

My 2007 Wolfenstein mod Spear Revisited has been rereleased for ECWolf so you no longer have to spend four hours swearing at DOSBox to get it to run, you get prerendered music instead of tinny OPL music, and the bosses are actually challenging!

I'm playing this right now and it's loving amazing! It feels like a whole new Wolf game. RTCW sounds are cool, too. Great job!

Nokiaman fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Apr 19, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

The Kins posted:

What custom engine features do they got? I never played either.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Nintendo Kid posted:

http://www.areyep.com/eodmanual/i.html

The "Tournament!" skill will likely never be possible to port. I don't think the rest is out of question, though.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Nintendo Kid posted:

They've been ported to SDL, so they're playable on modern comps. I highly recommend them, although I think End of Destiny is leagues better than Resurrection.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Having trouble with coop with brutal doom + gzdoom. It works with 2 players but not with 3, and it doesn't matter which 2 players it is.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Just use Zandronum, Brutal Doom works fine in it. Either make your own server, borrow an empty one, or start a Best Ever for your friends.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Elliotw2 posted:

Just use Zandronum, Brutal Doom works fine in it. Either make your own server, borrow an empty one, or start a Best Ever for your friends.

Thanks, that's worked great.

So what ever happened with samsara? I remember a trailer showing a bunch of stuff like some Q3 weapons for Ranger and a preview of the unreal lady, but now it's apparently no longer being developed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Nokiaman posted:

I'm playing this right now and it's loving amazing! It feels like a whole new Wolf game. RTCW sounds are cool, too. Great job!

Well if you like that you should like my other mods even more because this is the most primitive of them except for the really early poo poo from '01-04 that I want nothing to do with anymore.