Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

We know, that's why we despise the bitch. If you dont match her flawless button-mashing you're hosed.

Guess you better step it up then :smugdog:

I only beat her because you can pause during the race. Never could get the hang of manipulating her rubber banding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Ah, one of the few times a "turbo" controller was actually good for anything.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Monkey Fracas posted:

I have a feeling there was a "So we can make it big and impressive-looking? Do it, and drat the gameplay consequences!" attitude on some old games. Hyrule Field in OoT comes to mind.

This is why I have to admit I'm slightly worried about Zelda on the Wii U and their talk about how big the map is and how long it takes to get places, I'm not a big fan of it taking forever to get somewhere if there's nothing interesting to do along the way. It's one of the biggest reasons LttP is still my favorite Zelda game, every screen has something interesting to do on it, it's not just big stretches of empty land (or water in Wind Waker's case).

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Twelve by Pies posted:

This is why I have to admit I'm slightly worried about Zelda on the Wii U and their talk about how big the map is and how long it takes to get places, I'm not a big fan of it taking forever to get somewhere if there's nothing interesting to do along the way. It's one of the biggest reasons LttP is still my favorite Zelda game, every screen has something interesting to do on it, it's not just big stretches of empty land (or water in Wind Waker's case).

Yeah I agree. If Zelda for the Wii U has as much going on in their big open world as A Link to the Past did then I will be really happy. In fact, they do not even need to take it THAT far. Even half of what LttP had would be very satisfying.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Twelve by Pies posted:

Yeah, 3D Zelda has never gotten down the overworld exploration like some of the 2D games have.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Tatsuta Age posted:

I for real tore the palm of my hand up as a kid on that stupid Shy-Guy spin game

I used to hold the controller sideways and spin it kind of like a fishing reel. As long as I kept my hand loose and didn't actually grip the stick, I could get it going pretty fast. I couldn't understand the blistered palms the first time I read about that happening.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It might be worth rewatching that one trailer from like a year ago where Aonuma talks about designing an open world Zelda:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZmxvig1dXE

I dunno, I guess I have faith that they know what they're doing with it. (And the delay sucks but probably for the best otherwise we might have gotten the bad kind of open world you guys are talking about)

Treebeh
Sep 20, 2010

we never say anything unless it is worth taking a long time to say.

Twelve by Pies posted:

I think if Zelda Wii U suffers from "Oot Syndrome", then we'll all be very much okay.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Twelve by Pies posted:

It doesn't get the "exploration" part down, but I appreciate what Skyward Sword did as far as having a dense world with puzzles/obstacles.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Treebeh posted:

I think if Zelda Wii U suffers from "Oot Syndrome", then we'll all be very much okay.

Being overrated?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
We don't exactly have a general Nintendo thread, so I'll just post here:

Got the first issue of Year 3 of Nintendo Force in the mail today. Issue #14 has an "Old vs. New" theme, with a look back at the Mario Party franchise and a look forward at new IPs like Codename S.T.E.A.M. and Splatoon in particular. I never realized that for its first 7 installments, Mario Party was an annual series, and there was only a 2 year gap between 7 and 8.

Sadly, the drawbacks of a physical publication are apparent, there's a small sidebar feature on the upcoming (as of time of writing) release of Mewtwo for Smash 4, with an expressed disappointment that no other DLC was announced. And there was a small speculative piece about what the next franchise to use amiibo would be...with no mention of Splatoon or Woolly World, since the issue went to print before the Direct.

On the whole though, NF is still a worthy successor to Nintendo Power and as long as they keep focusing on retrospectives, reviews and interviews rather than trying to have the latest and greatest information, it'll remain worth the cover price.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!

Waltzing Along posted:

Being overrated?

:frogout:

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Treebeh posted:

I hope not since OoT is garbage and Twilight Princess was all the more forgettable for trying to be a "return to form". Wind Waker was the only good 3D zelda until a Link Between Worlds.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I watched that sequelitis video too, didn't think it was that great if we're being honest

For the record, I do think OoT is overrated and Wind Waker is my favorite 3D Zelda, discounting LBTW, but bad? Nah

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

I understand its easy to dismiss the fact that OoT is garbage because some idiot youtube personality happens to share the same opinion but that doesn't change the fact that OoT is garbage.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Raserys posted:

I watched that sequelitis video too, didn't think it was that great if we're being honest

He's said upon retrospect he kind of regretted doing that sequelitis because it didn't really have any real point beyond "OoT sucks" and he was being overly harsh on it.

TheEggsBenedict
Jan 4, 2013

if i go crazy then
will you still
call me superman
We can all agree that the best Zelda game is Link's Crossbow Training.

Esk1
Dec 19, 2007

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I hope not since OoT is garbage and Twilight Princess was all the more forgettable for trying to be a "return to form". Wind Waker was the only good 3D zelda until a Link Between Worlds.

Since when it's LBW a 3d Zelda? I don't consider the ds ones 3d either...

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

technically it is 3d but it's in the spirit of the 2d games

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Its in literal 3D unless you lack depth perception

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
If they want to make sure everyone likes the new Zelda as an open-world game they're going to have to make it an enormous empty wasteland of hills and grass and put ten hour long load times like Skyrim and also make sure nothing works at all and everyone will love it

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Its in literal 3D unless you lack depth perception

It plays in 2D though.

If you can look up in a Zelda game, it's a 3D Zelda. If you can't, it's a 2D Zelda.

Esk1
Dec 19, 2007

SatansBestBuddy posted:

It plays in 2D though.

If you can look up in a Zelda game, it's a 3D Zelda. If you can't, it's a 2D Zelda.

That's what I feel. Didn't realize this was debatable.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It's not. Pay attention to who you're arguing with.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Treebeh posted:

But I don't just want "okay" that's the problem. I like OoT but I want something more impressive and I'm worried that Zelda Wii U will just be, well

whaley posted:

an enormous empty wasteland of hills and grass

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

It's not. Pay attention to who you're arguing with.

He changed his avatar so it's hard to tell

Treebeh
Sep 20, 2010

we never say anything unless it is worth taking a long time to say.

Waltzing Along posted:

Being overrated?
You should play some 3D action adventure games that came out before OoT and then reassess your opinion on OoT's critical reception.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

"Garbage", really? The criticisms against TP being too similar to OoT are valid, but please show some respect.

Twelve by Pies posted:

But I don't just want "okay" that's the problem. I like OoT but I want something more impressive and I'm worried that Zelda Wii U will just be, well
I just meant if it's as much of a leap forward as OoT was for the series in terms of gameplay, graphics, structure, and storytelling then I'll be very happy.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

oot is really bland and i will not respect it

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Treebeh posted:

Taking OoT criticisms very seriously.

For a console RPG at the time, yes, it was pretty good.
Compared to PC RPGs at the time, yes, it was overrated.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Waltzing Along posted:

For a console RPG at the time, yes, it was pretty good.
Compared to PC RPGs at the time, yes, it was overrated.

... it's not an RPG.

Also unless it was first-person ala Doom, combat in 3D games sucked rear end until OoT, and that includes PC games.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

oddium posted:

oot is really bland and i will not respect it

Agreed.

Gerudo Valley owns tho

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I hope the new Zelda has giants that knock you into the Stratosphere.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
Ocarina of Time won game of the year of 1998.
Ocarina of Time was the first video game to ever get a perfect 10/10 from Famitsu.
Ocarina of Time was the first game to pioneer Z-Targeting and lets face it, that was a big deal which all future 3D games took note of.

I'll admit, Ocarina of Time isn't perfect, but it was a masterpiece when it was created (in 1998) and it still is a freaking amazing game! We've just had 16 years to nitpick it and the Internet likes to dislike popular things. It was revolutionary at the time and it is still fun to play to this day. Many people consider it the best Zelda game and even the best video game ever made; so it did something right. Something isn't overrated if a statistically significant amount of people love it.

Just try to remember playing that game for the first time, you didn't know what was going to happen, you didn't know about getting a horse and riding around, or Hyrule Field, or even sneaking through the castle garden to meet with the princess. It was all new and exciting. (and Gerudo Valley rules)

I played Ocarina of Time for the first time when I was a kid (so maybe I had a more active imagination) but it felt like I was actually in Hyrule on a quest with Link and that is a powerful feeling. Again, I was also younger...

As for Splatoon, I'm disappointed it is $35 to get the 3 Amiibos that are compatible with the game. That's almost the cost of the video game itself...

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

jivjov posted:

Maybe this pair of DLC packs was successful enough to warrant another set..

I wonder if it would just be more cost effective all round to just keep releasing new tracks as DLC until the end of the consoles life. I mean, they're not going to make a better looking version of it. I'm no expert, but the balancing and gimmicks seem about as good as they've ever been in a mario kart and it's got a pretty decent online system.

Instead of making a new game every few years, just churn out a new set of tracks a quarter (resulting in 16 for the year). As long as it's priced decently i'm sure people would buy the hell out of that. I could just see it being as successful as the rockband music store.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Spectacle Rock posted:

Ocarina of Time was the first video game to ever get a perfect 10/10 from Famitsu.
Ocarina of Time was the first game to pioneer Z-Targeting and lets face it, that was a big deal which all future 3D games took note of.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Goldeneye won best game of whatever year and it was a garbage shooter, who cares about awards.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Spectacle Rock posted:

The Hurt Locker won best movie in 2009 at the Oscars and that movie was hot dogshit so awards and reviews don't mean anything

edit: And to be more relevant, DESTINY won game of the year in one of the game award shows which is :lol: so

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Apr 18, 2015

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Quest For Glory II posted:

Goldeneye won best game of whatever year and it was a garbage shooter, who cares about awards.

*GASP*

How dare you blemish my rose-tinted glasses by defiling the legacy of the greatest shooter ever made!

Perfect Dark was better anyways

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

What does hit TV show South Park have to say on the topic of the quality of Zelda games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Regy Rusty posted:

What does hit TV show South Park have to say on the topic of the quality of Zelda games?
That there's truth to both sides!!

• Locked thread