Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

JT Jag posted:

Regardless, it's what Annie is, and he objects to that and wants to change it.

Regardless of her consent or knowledge that is. Way to be a Tiger mom Anthony. Next thing you know he'll tell her that she doesn't need any friends or social interaction and that grades are the only things that matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

YF-23 posted:

Being gay isn't an early death sentence that ensures your children will be orphans.

Being gay means you have to adopt or use surrogacy to have children. Which is actually exactly Annie's situation unless you want to read a single word in an offhand statement extremely literally.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 17, 2015

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

This thread also believes that gay people Fire elementals reach a certain age and go into a gently caress frenzy with whoever is nearby, then die.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Blackheart posted:

This thread also believes that gay people Fire elementals reach a certain age and go into a gently caress frenzy with whoever is nearby, then die.

I don't, because it's loving stupid.

I mean to come to the idea that Anthony is saving her life you basically have to believe:

1. Coyote saying 'when' instead of 'if' means that at some point Annie is going to have the uncontrollable urge to jump on the nearest male individual and have sex without contraception, in which case WHAT THE gently caress TOM. (And not, say, Coyote misunderstanding the motivations of humans and the idea that people have any sense of self-preservation or value of life etc etc)
2. Souls in the Gunnerkrigg setting are divisible without any harm to the individual, which is pretty interesting given that the only other example we have of interfering with someone's soul turned them into a murderous rage-ghost. And led to everyone's undying hatred of the person responsible for even merely knowingly manufacturing the tool involved in this procedure.
3. Anthony's neglecting to ask consent, apologise, or even mention doing this during his reunion is merely careless apathy when supposedly he has been planning this for about five years, and this miscommunication led to the absolute failure of this procedure. When even a mere text message beforehand to Donald, who he had communicated with and is willing to expose his emotions to, would have assured him of a bunch of characters' assistance. Or that Anthony has some deep reason, and Tom is just setting up the narrative trying to trick us because ????

There are so many insane leaps to have to take to make this work.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 17, 2015

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

My personal theory is that the Donlans are friendship elementals. When a friendship elemental reaches a certain stage of maturity it has to befriend the nearest creature, which is clearly the only rational explanation on how they would appreciate Anthony.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I hate this thread now.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Blackheart posted:

My personal theory is that the Donlans are friendship elementals. When a friendship elemental reaches a certain stage of maturity it has to befriend the nearest creature, which is clearly the only rational explanation on how they would appreciate Anthony.

The most plausible explanation yes.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Honestly Anthony being a religious scientific zealot who thinks his daughter is an abomination but is sure he can "fix" her is the most logical read on his character right now.

He loves his daughter and is doing what he thinks is best for her. But he hates what his daughter is, and feels compelled to make her "right." The ends will justify the means.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Fangz posted:

I don't, because it's loving stupid.

I mean to come to the idea that Anthony is saving her life you basically have to believe:

1. Coyote saying 'when' instead of 'if' means that at some point Annie is going to have the uncontrollable urge to jump on the nearest male individual and have sex without contraception, in which case WHAT THE gently caress TOM. (And not, say, Coyote misunderstanding the motivations of humans and the idea that people have any sense of self-preservation or value of life etc etc)
2. Souls in the Gunnerkrigg setting are divisible without any harm to the individual, which is pretty interesting given that the only other example we have of interfering with someone's soul turned them into a murderous rage-ghost. And led to everyone's undying hatred of the person responsible for even merely knowingly manufacturing the tool involved in this procedure.
3. Anthony's neglecting to ask consent, apologise, or even mention doing this during his reunion is merely careless apathy when supposedly he has been planning this for about five years, and this miscommunication led to the absolute failure of this procedure. When even a mere text message beforehand to Donald, who he had communicated with and is willing to expose his emotions to, would have assured him of a bunch of characters' assistance. Or that Anthony has some deep reason, and Tom is just setting up the narrative trying to trick us because ????

There are so many insane leaps to have to take to make this work.

What do you think he was trying to do, then?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Tenebrais posted:

I think that Anthony thinks that he was saving Annie's life when he did that. Whether he actually was or not is in question.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Kat asking "How could you?" will have bad effects. Annie cannot acknowledge the answer to that question, but she can add it to the pile of all the extremely good reasons why she hates doing the thing she is about to do, where it can be repressed even deeper.

It's going to get worse, kids!

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Tenebrais posted:

I think he was trying to resurrect Surma by recovering whatever part of it went into Antimony with her death. Like Rey, he thinks that Surma's soul went to Antimony - there was nothing to take for the psychopomp to take, and so nothing was lost. He's basically doing something similar to what Coyote is talking about at:

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1470

If he can take Annie's 'life', without letting it escape, and put it into Surma's body, then that may be a form of resurrection. Remember:

"The mind is a plaything of the body."

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
That's... a bit of a leap of logic.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Eh, "trying to resurrect dead wife" is probably in the top five solutions for what's going on in Anthony's head.

It's something like:

1) He loves his daughter and is doing strange things because he can't express emotions like a normal human.
2) He loves his daughter but also blames her for her mothers death and is doing strange things because of that and also #1.
3) He is too staid and sensible to really have any kind of grip on all the magic whatsits going on in his daughter's life and is separating her from them without really getting why they're important to her.
4) He hates his daughter for causing her mother's death and is doing strange things to torment her.
5) He wants to resurrect his dead wife using bad science and this is all part of that scheme.
6) He's going to bugger off immediately once he's got his hands on his own personal wolf demon.
7) Coyote in disguise.
8) Jones in disguise.
9) Red in disguise.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Maybe her appendix was about to burst.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

That's... a bit of a leap of logic.

Sure, but it's consistent with the themes of reincarnation and the fate of the dead and the issue of moving on from loss that have been a recurring theme of the comic. From what is presented in the comic it is also not impossible - several characters have transferred their minds between bodies, after all, assisted by others.

And personally I think it fits in with the character of Anthony - swap a daughter you've kept your distance from for years, for a chance of saving the woman you spent a decade trying to save, who is maybe the only person you have ever loved? Not obviously a bad deal at all.

EDIT: Also compare Coyote's hand grasping the totem to the bony hand pulling at Antimony in Divine and the prior treatise.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Apr 17, 2015

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I think it is highly unlikely that the direction this comic is going to go is "abusive father removes soul of his daughter(a child) so he can put it in his dead lover to bring her back to life." :psyduck:

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
What themes of reincarnation? Souls move between the Forest and the Court but that doesn't really fit.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

I think it is highly unlikely that the direction this comic is going to go is "abusive father removes soul of his daughter(a child) so he can put it in his dead lover to bring her back to life." :psyduck:
Is that so different from 'jilted lover removes the soul of his unrequited love to create a murderous eldritch monstrosity because he can't have her'? Or 'parents turn their child physically into a bird on the basis of dubiously obtained consent, out of their own selfish wishes?' I'm not saying Anthony is going to succeed.

Dr Subterfuge posted:

What themes of reincarnation? Souls move between the Forest and the Court but that doesn't really fit.

Well, for me, that is close enough. I mean the suicide fairies is literal reincarnation. Then you have Alastair and his being transformed into a bird because his family wants it. There's also how the whole thing with the fire elemental spirit works, with the daughter being in some sense the reincarnation of the mother. In the end a lot of chapters address death and that hasn't gone away with Mort gone.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 17, 2015

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Fangz posted:

Is that so different from 'jilted lover removes the soul of his unrequited love to create a murderous eldritch monstrosity because he can't have her'? Or 'parents turn their child physically into a bird on the basis of dubiously obtained consent, out of their own selfish wishes?'
Yeah?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Dr Subterfuge posted:

People turning into animals and vice versa is literally the whole of what reincarnation is .

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
"Anthony has the power to bend the will of fire elementals" is seeming more and more plausible, both in regards to Annie's behavior and to why Surma chose him.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Rand Brittain posted:

Eh, "trying to resurrect dead wife" is probably in the top five solutions for what's going on in Anthony's head.

It's something like:

1) He loves his daughter and is doing strange things because he can't express emotions like a normal human.
2) He loves his daughter but also blames her for her mothers death and is doing strange things because of that and also #1.
3) He is too staid and sensible to really have any kind of grip on all the magic whatsits going on in his daughter's life and is separating her from them without really getting why they're important to her.
4) He hates his daughter for causing her mother's death and is doing strange things to torment her.
5) He wants to resurrect his dead wife using bad science and this is all part of that scheme.
6) He's going to bugger off immediately once he's got his hands on his own personal wolf demon.
7) Coyote in disguise.
8) Jones in disguise.
9) Red in disguise.

10) He's a nerd.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Annie is behaving too realistically to be under the influence of mind control.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Bongo Bill posted:

I hate this thread now.

Considering that it's devolved into someone splitting hairs over the use of 'when' versus 'if', I agree with you.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Fangz posted:

EDIT: Also compare Coyote's hand grasping the totem to the bony hand pulling at Antimony in Divine and the prior treatise.
Totem being a bit of a nothing/breather chapter would make more sense if it was a Scheherazade-esque "I told you that story so I could tell you this one" thing. Either Tony or Kat finally drives Annie to the point where her temper is stronger than the abuse she suffered, she goes :ssj:, Tony says "Finally. Your mother would have torched the room two hours ago", pulls of his glove and tears out Antimony's fire elemental half with his skeletal hand-claw.

And cue the headmaster making GBS threads in his pants as he realises that he was the pawn in Tony's plan rather than vice-versa.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Itzena posted:

And cue the headmaster making GBS threads in his pants as he realises that he was the pawn in Tony's plan rather than vice-versa.

The headmaster finds a note in the aftermath.

"Just according to keikaku" is written in nearly illegible doctor scrawl.

Right underneath it is another note in slightly girlish handwriting.

"Translator's note: Keikaku means plan"

*Cue mad laughter ringing throughout the Court*

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If he wanted to make her mad, he would not be acting in the same ways that taught her to repress all expression.

Yes, he has a reason for doing what he is doing. No, it is not a morally good reason. No, it is not for revenge. No, it is not a complicated secret plan. No, he is not in disguise. No, it does not involve fire elemental psychology. No, it is not going to turn into cathartic violence. No, nobody is going to decisively come to her rescue before any more bad things can happen. No, it is not a dream.

It is going to get worse. I think you should all acknowledge what is happening in the story.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I think what happens next will involve Kat NOT letting go of Reynard and keeping him away from Annie

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

:golfclap:

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Fangz posted:

Well, for me, that is close enough. I mean the suicide fairies is literal reincarnation. Then you have Alastair and his being transformed into a bird because his family wants it. There's also how the whole thing with the fire elemental spirit works, with the daughter being in some sense the reincarnation of the mother. In the end a lot of chapters address death and that hasn't gone away with Mort gone.

Generally when I think about reincarnation I don't really think of people's consciousnesses remaining intact, which is how it works for transferal between the Court and the Forest. It seems more to me like a commentary about identity.

Dr Subterfuge fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Apr 17, 2015

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Acne Rain posted:

I think what happens next will involve Kat NOT letting go of Reynard and keeping him away from Annie

This sounds likely to me. I could imagine Annie seeing Kat trying to defy her dad as her being arbitrarily hostile.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Acne Rain posted:

Yeah I can't imagine this will go any other way, unless Annie already ordered Reynard to go back into the box if someone tries to take him.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Macaluso posted:

Yeah I can't imagine this will go any other way, unless Annie already ordered Reynard to go back into the box if someone tries to take him.
At which point Kat will take the box too.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Tenebrais posted:

This sounds likely to me. I could imagine Annie seeing Kat trying to defy her dad as her being arbitrarily hostile.

I would probably put a rude statement about Anthony between Kat making off with Renard and Annie getting mad at her. There's always also a chance that Annie would only be outwardly hostile to Kat over this while deep down recognising it as a way to go against her father's demand without having full responsibility about it (I assume Annie understands that Anthony doesn't hold Reynardine in a high regard and will be a custodian appropriately with that).

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
Since the worst thing that could possibly happen is Anthony being in the other room and coming in right now to stomp on Kat's attempt to get through to Annie that's pretty much what I expect to happen.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Nah, he's in her bedroom right now, destroying all the posters on her wall and lighting her toys on fire.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Her next school year curriculum will be the rat cage from 1984

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

IUG posted:

Nah, he's in her bedroom right now, destroying all the posters on her wall and lighting her toys on fire.

And her clothes, don't forget that he's burning all of her clothes other than that one dress she has on right now.