Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Sedan Chair if I were you I would be mighty upset with effectronica for appropriating your posting style and adding his own sad white boy twist to it- presumably w/o your permission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Effectronica posted:

The idea predates consumer culture, though. It's why Robert Johnson only ever recorded blues songs, because the folklorists who discovered the blues as an art considered anything else inauthentic. Leadbelly went through the same thing until the 1950s, when he managed to break free and was able to record what he wanted. But yeah, people do want to seek outside of a culture they consider dying. Not much to do about that short of ending consumerism, and that's a bit bigger of a job.

For somebody concerned about ending consumerism you have strong opinions about lovely restaurants

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Effectronica posted:

You are forty years old and posting on a webforum to yell at younger people to get off your lawn.

Well young people are dumb as hell though, there's a reason no one over 30 gives a gently caress about this stupid poo poo.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

tsa posted:

Well young people are dumb as hell though, there's a reason no one over 30 gives a gently caress about this stupid poo poo.

How do you reconcile this with your many complaints that people in this forum refuse to listen to dissenting views? :smugbird:

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Clipperton posted:

that's the sixth time in a row you've made the exact same post, congratulations

also lol the guy who wants to nuke europe is still coming across as way more sensible than effectronica and sedanchair

Hey now finding people who want to hundreds of millions to die in nuclear fire is hard since once you think thats okay it's hard to be a moral authority of things.

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013

Effectronica posted:

Every complaint I've seen about restaurants like PF Chang's being appropriative has come from Chinese-American people and nothing from white people. When I'm not on mobile I can even dig some of them up.

I'd like to see them, un ironically.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Miltank posted:

Sedan Chair if I were you I would be mighty upset with effectronica for appropriating your posting style and adding his own sad white boy twist to it- presumably w/o your permission.

When I snap on people it tends to be a lot more concise and devastating. However, we're both pretty laid-back, even jocund, compared to the fat Tory/Jorg Haider suppressed rage style I'm seeing from the other side.

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013

SedanChair posted:

When I snap on people it tends to be a lot more concise and devastating.

loving lol

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

SedanChair posted:

devastating.

delusion.txt touring the d&d

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Goddamn this thread is a loving shitposter jamboree, but it's probably worth it just for the phenomenal redtexts getting thrown around.

SedanChair posted:

When I snap on people it tends to be a lot more concise and devastating.

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013
one of the perks of being in cancer crew is im immune to redtxt

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Effectronica posted:

How do you reconcile this with your many complaints that people in this forum refuse to listen to dissenting views? :smugbird:

:qq:

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Voyager I posted:

Goddamn this thread is a loving shitposter jamboree, but it's probably worth it just for the phenomenal redtexts getting thrown around.

It is sublime in its fucktardery. Effluent's spittle-flecked death threats are what make the Internet the greatest productivity-killer ever invented.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Effectronica posted:

Every complaint I've seen about restaurants like PF Chang's being appropriative has come from Chinese-American people and nothing from white people. When I'm not on mobile I can even dig some of them up.

:lol:

this is what looney lefties actually believe.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
As a revolutionary leftist I'm interested in making sure that the McDonald Corporation is in line with identity politics.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Effectronica is a liberal and not a leftist.
E:v :agreed:

Miltank fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Apr 17, 2015

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Miltank posted:

Well, gently caress him then.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Miltank posted:

E:v :agreed:

He's just a poseur.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Imagine someone who claims to be an abolitionist, but only lobbies for slave code reformation.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
We need to reform IP laws to overthrow the Chinese monopoly on egg rolls. No one culture should have all that tasty food.

I read back 3 pages and I'm still not sure what the substance of the current argument is.

Food seems like the worst kind of example as long as people are eating it because it is tasty rather than some pretense to authentic chinese cuisine and exoticism. The former of which is common because people like tasty food.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

steinrokkan posted:

Well, gently caress him then.

:agreed:

quote:

I read back 3 pages and I'm still not sure what the substance of the current argument is.

Nobody does.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Effectronica posted:

How about Asian-Americans who feel differently? Do they not exist, are they insane, just wrong, bananas, etc.?

Can't say anything about Asian-Americans, but I'd be really amused if I saw a third-generation Polish emigree crying about Americans appropriating kielbasa.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Effectronica posted:

How about Asian-Americans who feel differently? Do they not exist, are they insane, just wrong, bananas, etc.?

Who gives a poo poo.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Kylra posted:

We need to reform IP laws to overthrow the Chinese monopoly on egg rolls. No one culture should have all that tasty food.

Food seems like the worst kind of example as long as people are eating it because it is tasty rather than some pretense to authentic chinese cuisine and exoticism. The former of which is common because people like tasty food.

Chinese people are the first to 'dilute' their cuisine while abroad, catering to the local palates. Chinese immigrants in Panama sell fried chicken, and it's delicious. Chinese-Peruvians run chifas, whose menus bear scant resemblance to what is served in Beijing. But yeah, some liberal artiste extraordinaire who has never been 50 miles from Directional State College campus in Iowa is going to finger wag those people about 'authenticity.'

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I propose that sausage links should only be made in central europe like god intended, not in filthy imperialist america, land of the appropriating red skin man

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUKJWsnAAXs

Effectronica posted:

I don't think that. The only thing I think is that you should have your eyes put out with a screwdriver, and your fingers whacked off with a breadknife! LMAO!
The Effectronica meltdown is underway :unsmigghh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbbMIg-Aw8E

VitalSigns posted:

No, liberals are not spending a lot of time on this. Hillary's campaign will not mention this, Obama is not talking about this, the most public civil rights campaigns aren't talking about Iggy Azalea. Appropriation is really limited to academic discussions or obscure liberal blogs, so it kinda seems like you're just seeking out conversations to get annoyed about. There's a pretty amusing irony in complaining that other people are talking about "weak sauce" instead of important stuff...from someone who is spending time complaining about what conversations liberals have.
:thejoke:

But I don't think it's a subject of obscure liberal blogs. It's a recurring topic in most major liberal websites and newspapers. The Washington Post talks about it on the op-ed pages, Slate, Salon, Vox, et al. Which leads to a discussion of the incentives of the digital economy. And yes, it's probably true that I'm as guilty as what I'm describing, but I also think I know what I'm talking about.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Apr 18, 2015

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

I propose that sausage links should only be made in central europe like god intended, not in filthy imperialist america, land of the appropriating red skin man

White Americans should not be permitted to eat food, because racism and cultural appropriation. Black Americans should only eat African food. Indians should only eat Pemmican. Allah created the races white, Black, yellow, Malay and Red, and He placed them on separate continents. And but for the interference with His arrangement there would be no cause for culinary miscegenation. The fact that He separated the races shows that He did not intend for the races or their cuisines to mix.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

TheImmigrant posted:

White Americans should not be permitted to eat food, because racism and cultural appropriation. Black Americans should only eat African food. Indians should only eat Pemmican. Allah created the races white, Black, yellow, Malay and Red, and He placed them on separate continents. And but for the interference with His arrangement there would be no cause for culinary miscegenation. The fact that He separated the races shows that He did not intend for the races or their cuisines to mix.

I'm drinking coffee right now, killing many an African orphan.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Omi-Polari posted:

But I don't think it's a subject of obscure liberal blogs. It's a recurring topic in most major liberal websites and newspapers. The Washington Post talks about it on the op-ed pages, Slate, Salon, Vox, et al. Which leads to a discussion of the incentives of the digital economy. And yes, it's probably true that I'm as guilty as what I'm describing, but I also think I know what I'm talking about.

Yeah, exactly it's relegated to opinion pages and blogs. This isn't something taking attention away from major campaigns about bigger issues. I wouldn't worry that this is poisoning liberalism: anyone who goes and reads a Salon opinion piece and says "well I was liberal, but this article was so awful I'm just turned off of civil rights now let's start keeping down the blacks and gays" is just looking for an excuse to justify their racism and bigotry. It's like all the people who say, "well I was never racist, but seeing Obama race-bait about Trayvon Martin is making me that way!" No, they were just always racist.

Omi-Polari posted:

The Effectronica meltdown is underway :unsmigghh:
Yeah this thread has pretty much descended into idiots trying to out-sick-burn each other about egg rolls and deep dish pizza or some poo poo. Oh well :shrug:

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah, exactly it's relegated to opinion pages and blogs. This isn't something taking attention away from major campaigns about bigger issues. I wouldn't worry that this is poisoning liberalism: anyone who goes and reads a Salon opinion piece and says "well I was liberal, but this article was so awful I'm just turned off of civil rights now let's start keeping down the blacks and gays" is just looking for an excuse to justify their racism and bigotry. It's like all the people who say, "well I was never racist, but seeing Obama race-bait about Trayvon Martin is making me that way!" No, they were just always racist.

People who give up principles because of poseurs are pretty rare. If you consider Leftism to be a capital-letter brand-name, rather than principles, then you are a poseur. This thread is a handful of Aspie poseurs striking postures for the viewing pleasure of each other, and a sane majority making fun of how ridiculous they are.

So yeah, there's nothing poisoned here. I'm not going to advocate for a return to Jim Crow laws because SedanChair is a racemongering retard posing as a black man, or lobotomies for homosexuals because Effluent is a homicidally-deranged gay man. These are crazy people with malignant intentions. Ignore them, or if you're less charitable (like I am), point and laugh at them.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

TheImmigrant posted:

People who give up principles because of poseurs are pretty rare. If you consider Leftism to be a capital-letter brand-name, rather than principles, then you are a poseur. This thread is a handful of Aspie poseurs striking postures for the viewing pleasure of each other, and a sane majority making fun of how ridiculous they are.

So yeah, there's nothing poisoned here. I'm not going to advocate for a return to Jim Crow laws because SedanChair is a racemongering retard posing as a black man, or lobotomies for homosexuals because Effluent is a homicidally-deranged gay man. These are crazy people with malignant intentions. Ignore them, or if you're less charitable (like I am), point and laugh at them.

This whole conversation has been poisoned from the start. The opening post was a concern troll of epic proportions. After a while it just gets exhausting having new people come in the thread spouting off the same bullshit tired "just asking questions" poo poo.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
if there's a consistent definition of cultural appropriation, I'm still waiting to see it. I think to most people using the term, cultural appropriation means cultural exchange that makes me feel icky. Which is fine, not all cultural exchange is mutually beneficial, and calling those situations appropriation makes as much sense as any other term.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

JeffersonClay posted:

if there's a consistent definition of cultural appropriation, I'm still waiting to see it. I think to most people using the term, cultural appropriation means cultural exchange that makes me feel icky. Which is fine, not all cultural exchange is mutually beneficial, and calling those situations appropriation makes as much sense as any other term.

Why do you think there will be a consistent definition of cultural appropriation? Obdicut nailed it when he said that there wasn't a consistent definition of racism much like there isn't a consistent definition of race.

Also, when you talk about cultural exchange, there usually has to be an exchange. I posted this earlier in the thread and it was largely overlooked, but it goes over a lot of this.

http://everydayfeminism.com/2013/09/cultural-exchange-and-cultural-appropriation/

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

blackguy32 posted:

This whole conversation has been poisoned from the start. The opening post was a concern troll of epic proportions. After a while it just gets exhausting having new people come in the thread spouting off the same bullshit tired "just asking questions" poo poo.

Yeah it's the same people who bring up pointlessly piddly bullshit to distract from the real problems anytime a minority wants to talk about something.

How can you say treating women differently from men is bad? I opened a door for a woman today because she's a woman. Am I sexist? Am I a horrible chauvinist wife-beating piggy sexist? I must be, how shall I mutilate myself to atone for my sins of being a man and opening a door, what suitably horrific torture would be enough to satisfy you, god you liberals are so shrill.

And then Effectronica says "yes kill yourself" and their persecution complex is validated. I knew those scheming minorities want to spit-roast all God-fearing white Republican men!

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah it's the same people who bring up pointlessly piddly bullshit to distract from the real problems anytime a minority wants to talk about something.

Who is the minority here who wants to talk about it? There's Vanilla Ice and his gun, and what I assume to be mostly Americans who don't even own passports. What's so ridiculous about his conversation is that it's a bunch of America-centric theoryheads with no life experience prescribing experience and Correct Thought for the people they fetishize.

I actually appreciate you, because you are often thoughtful. What I really deplore is the tendency of the cultural left to eschew any criticism of anyone who strikes a leftist posture. Give me a break - this oval office Efflux is a racially-determinist supremacist; a total primitive.

TheImmigrant fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Apr 18, 2015

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
I have no problem with defining racism as (racial) prejudice + power. I have no problem defining sexism as gender prejudice + power. I recognize not everyone accepts those definitions, but I can reasonably apply the definition to every possible human behavior I would consider racism or sexism without difficulty.

I can't define cultural appropriation. It sounds like a pretty accurate description of some dude pretending to be a native Shaman and selling bullshit to rubes. He has literally stolen their cultural identity and twisted it for his own profit. This seems fundamentally different from every other example I've seen. If PF Chang fraudulently claimed to have traditional culinary knowledge and technique from China, I could see a commonality.

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013

blackguy32 posted:

ok forms poster blackguy32

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

JeffersonClay posted:

I have no problem with defining racism as (racial) prejudice + power. I have no problem defining sexism as gender prejudice + power. I recognize not everyone accepts those definitions, but I can reasonably apply the definition to every possible human behavior I would consider racism or sexism without difficulty.

I can't define cultural appropriation. It sounds like a pretty accurate description of some dude pretending to be a native Shaman and selling bullshit to rubes. He has literally stolen their cultural identity and twisted it for his own profit. This seems fundamentally different from every other example I've seen. If PF Chang fraudulently claimed to have traditional culinary knowledge and technique from China, I could see a commonality.

And why exactly can't you define it? What is impeding you from reaching a definition?

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Cultural appropriation: the fraudulent adaptation of the cultural identity of an oppressed person for profit. Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

JeffersonClay posted:

Cultural appropriation: the fraudulent adaptation of the cultural identity of an oppressed person for profit. Thoughts?

But it doesn't have to be just profit though. Simply using something outside of it's cultural context or without permission can be considered as appropriation.

• Locked thread