Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

captainOrbital posted:

Plus, Transitions are never not dorky.

Mmbecause that's of prime importance within the confines of a closed helmet on a vehicle where people are lucky if they see your rear end in the 10 seconds it takes to reach the horizon.

BTW, Lieutenant Orbital is one cool customer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

captainOrbital posted:

Plus, Transitions are never not dorky.

cisgender bigot spotted

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
If cisgender means what I think it does, and I think it does, then I stand guilty as accused.

My problem with Transitions is as follows: frames that look good both with clear glasses AND sunglasses are hard to find. I prefer to clip on a mirrored visor. I hadn't thought about internal sun visors weakening the helmet for side impacts. though. That sucks.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Transition lenses are only worn by:

And maybe Jamie Hyneman.
And you won't convince me otherwise.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
The only place Transitions is not dorky is on a Shoei RF-1200

http://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/shoei-cwr-1-transitions-photochromic-pinlock-shield

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Gillingham posted:

Carrying multiple visors sure seems like a lot more work than just using sunglasses but YMMV

I used to have a joe rocket jacket that had a built-in pocket to hold an extra visor so that it wrapped around your torso. It was pretty convenient.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

captainOrbital posted:

If cisgender means what I think it does, and I think it does, then I stand guilty as accused.

My problem with Transitions is as follows: frames that look good both with clear glasses AND sunglasses are hard to find. I prefer to clip on a mirrored visor. I hadn't thought about internal sun visors weakening the helmet for side impacts. though. That sucks.

They made me look like a young version of munch from SVU.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Chichevache posted:

Harley guys in my area don't wave back, so I've started giving those cats the finger. Eagerly awaiting the day when one of them slowly wobbles after me to teach me a lesson. :jerkbag:

I ride a sportster and have a full face helmet. Harley riders and sport bike riders alike don't wave back half the time. Scooter riders here wave like they are in a pageant.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

El Jebus posted:

I ride a sportster and have a full face helmet. Harley riders and sport bike riders alike don't wave back half the time. Scooter riders here wave like they are in a pageant.

The # of Harley waves I got after switching from Suzuki to KTM went up like 95%.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

If it ever comes out, sure. I've been waiting to buy one of these since last summer when I got my helmet.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Slavvy posted:

They made me look like a young version of munch from SVU.

+ HenryJ and the porcine slob pic

Yes, I agree! If you get it done at Wal-Mart and restrict yourself to the $28 frame section, or are stuck with a set done in 1998, they don't fully revert to clear and you look like a tool. They've vastly improved the magic juju in recent years so that they get to both extremes quickly and you don't wind up looking like Harry Reid. Also, finding aesthetically pleasing frames that do double duty is no longer that difficult, since many companies typically associated with sunglasses crossed over into general eyewear.

I'm not straining to win hearts and minds on this one; my standing as a beacon of cool is a birthright, foregone conclusion, and matter of historical record.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I have a BMW R Nine T and my local dealer is functionally retarded.

My bike has tubes and I caught a puncture about 3 weeks ago. I was on the highway at the time so I had to rely on roadside assistance to come get the bike and send it to the local dealer. Dealer gets it and says they have no tubes in stock but they'll have it done in a few days. Fast-forward to about 1.5 weeks later and the dealer tells me they had forgotten to order my tube despite me calling every other day. I end up with the bike back 2 weeks after it went flat. Not a huge crisis.

The next morning I notice that my exhaust has baffles back in them, which is weird since I removed them months ago. Upon closer inspection I can tell that I have brand new cans on my ride. More curious than irritated, I decided to call the dealer. I asked them why I have a new muffler system and they say "Oh, you noticed eh?" Seems that someone knocked another bike over and its handlebars creased my pipes. No big deal, but a bit weird that they wouldn't disclose this to me. I chalk it up to me appearing like a complete yuppy who'd have no idea about things.

One day later I'm riding on the highway when I get nasty vibration. I stop and see that my tire has gone almost completely flat. I call roadside again to pickup the bike and I call the dealer who promises to have tubes in stock this time. I sit on the side of a highway for over 2 hours before getting a ride with the bike down to the dealer. When I get there I see they have a new R Nine T sitting around sans exhaust pipes. I now know where they got my pipes from. They pull off the tire and the tube is hosed, but also the inner rim band which protects the tube from the spokes. "About two days" I'm told and I go on my way home.

Monday comes around and the dealer calls to say that the inner band isn't available anywhere in the US and it'll take about 2 weeks to arrive. *sigh* An hour later they call me asking if they can have my current 'new' exhaust pipes back as they want to deliver the new R Nine T and the replacement pipes won't be in until Friday. I tell them that I pulled the baffles again, and they ask if they can come get them.

On Monday night the service advisor knocks at my door and says "I know we must look like a bunch of clowns to you." I think this was the first time in my life I didn't know what to say and just stared for a moment before reaching inside my door and handing over the bag with the baffles.

Current estimate is I'll have the bike back late next week. I'm buying tubeless rims ASAP.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
This isn't South Sound BMW is it?

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

clutchpuck posted:

This isn't South Sound BMW is it?

Not them, but I don't want to say names online.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

No. 6 posted:

"I know we must look like a bunch of clowns to you."

"You sure do!"

I'm kind of disappointed that the r9t has tubes; I thought bmw would've used their bling tubeless spoked wheels so you can put sporty tyres on.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

You can use sporty tires! They just have tubes inside.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

No. 6 posted:

the inner band isn't available anywhere in the US and it'll take about 2 weeks to arrive.

Please retrace your steps. Are you ABSOLUTELY certain you didn't wander into a Harley dealership by mistake?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slavvy posted:

"You sure do!"

I'm kind of disappointed that the r9t has tubes; I thought bmw would've used their bling tubeless spoked wheels so you can put sporty tyres on.
Only the top level GS bikes are allowed such wheels. If you don't have a top level GS bike you are a lesser man and BMW wants you to know it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Meanwhile MV agusta is just tossing those things around like they're made of balsa.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

No. 6 posted:

You can use sporty tires! They just have tubes inside.

And when you catch a nail in your brand new $150 back tire you just throw in a brand new $15 tube and call it a day.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
Or in his case, you call it 2 weeks.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

No. 6 posted:

"I know we must look like a bunch of clowns to you."
At least they admit to cocking up, most dealers would just shrug their shoulders and tell you to suck it up.

They'd also leave your dented cans on, hope you don't notice and deny any responsibility when pushed about it. Or tell you it was like that when it came in.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Marv Hushman posted:

Please retrace your steps. Are you ABSOLUTELY certain you didn't wander into a Harley dealership by mistake?

Our local Harley dealer is split 50/50 Harley/BMW. They must get the weirdest demographic in there.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

The thing is, I can only assume that my local dealer has awful management. There are some really good people working there that almost always have a look of despair on their faces. From sales, to parts, to service, you can tell these guys are trying to do a good job.

None of that poo poo matters when they can't fix a flat in less than 2 weeks time.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Wait wait wait.

Transition... contacts?

Where do I collect my money?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

revmoo posted:

Our local Harley dealer is split 50/50 Harley/BMW. They must get the weirdest demographic in there.

A bunch of old men trying to reclaim an exciting youth they never had by purchasing a massive garage queen?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

revmoo posted:

I can assure you, selling BMWs in addition to Harleys barely alters their demographics. Maybe skews it ever so slightly towards a few extra dentists.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
The two Harley riders I hang out with also own BMW GSes.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

clutchpuck posted:

The two Harley riders I hang out with also own BMW GSes.

What is the ratio of grey to non-grey hair on each of their heads? Do either of them have AARP memberships yet? This is for science.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
70/30 and 30/70. One of them do (the retired one).

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

This is why I hate telling people the manufacturer of my bike. It also makes me proud when people comment on my lack of chicken strips. I bought the motorcycle to ride, not stare at.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

No. 6 posted:

I bought the motorcycle to ride, not stare at.

Dealer obviously has never heard of such a thing, given that they think it is acceptable to take 2 weeks to fix a flat tire. You should have dropped off a tube and told them to get to loving work.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004
Distracted driving video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs0iwz3NEC0

I had a lady tell that it's okay to text because she's at a stop. I reminded her that it's still illegal, bitch, then rode off. She made a crabby face.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Texting while driving will be seen, in the future, as a unique disease endemic to the small sliver of time where cellphones/smart devices overlapped with vehicles that still need human operators.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

The girl at 1:12 is fuckin stone cold. She has done this before. There is no surprise in her eyes.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

The girl who was putting on make up, but still looking forward, and almost drifts into the car on the side of the road. That right there is the reason we'll get driverless cars.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
I got the schadenfraude joy of watching a car drive up and then bounce back off a curb on my way home from work today.

Not wanting to be anywhere near them after seeing that, I sped past the car, only to glance over any notice her head was buried straight down in her phone.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

I supposed not even holding the phone on top of the steering wheel so youre looking down the road to at least not run off the road wouldnt help some of these people. Also noticed they're all teenagers.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
So am I out of line when I start freaking out on these people in traffic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

So am I out of line when I start freaking out on these people in traffic?

No.