Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!
As someone who flies in the DC area, it's enough of a pain in the rear end flying out of the FRZ. I hope this rear end in a top hat doesn't make things worse for us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

hobbesmaster posted:

I can see it now....
Why was this crazy person allowed near an airplane? After this and the Germanwings tragedy should there be stricter restrictions on pilot's mental health?

Clearly, we must enact mandatory psychological screening for anyone who could potentially fly an airplane.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

You'd have to be crazy to want to fly an airplane, therefore anyone who wants to fly an airplane is too crazy to be trusted to do so. :911:

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I'm glad you guys are ripping into it, because as a non-American that reporting on abc was comical. The melodrama in the anchor's voice and just the entire presentation was so over the top it was farcical.

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum
“There was only one catch and that was Catch-22, which specified that a concern for one's safety in the face of dangers that were real and immediate was the process of a rational mind. Orr was crazy and could be grounded. All he had to do was ask; and as soon as he did, he would no longer be crazy and would have to fly more missions. Orr would be crazy to fly more missions and sane if he didn't, but if he was sane he had to fly them. If he flew them he was crazy and didn't have to; but if he didn't want to he was sane and had to. Yossarian was moved very deeply by the absolute simplicity of this clause of Catch-22 and let out a respectful whistle.

"That's some catch, that Catch-22," he observed.

"It's the best there is," Doc Daneeka agreed.”
¯ Joseph Heller, Catch-22

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
News report on NPR this morning was saying "if he came closer we were prepared to shoot him down..." How much closer to the Capitol can you get? On it?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
You can't tell me there isn't at least one GOP congressman with a Stinger in his office, just in case.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

fordan posted:

News report on NPR this morning was saying "if he came closer we were prepared to shoot him down..." How much closer to the Capitol can you get? On it?

With what exactly. :allears:

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

hobbesmaster posted:

With what exactly. :allears:

SCRAMBLE THE JETS

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
The Capitol is a mile or so east actually; wasn't he on the White House south lawn? He could have landed in the reflecting pool.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I wonder if that thing even puts off enough heat for a Stinger to track on it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I have this image of the Secret Service trying to catch it with pool skimmers like on the Simpsons.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Obama's skeet gun

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mortabis posted:

Obama's skeet gun

Legitimately the best option for shooting it down.

Real question is whether the secret service have any labradors.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Fox News was on at the gym talking about this, someone made a tepid joke about how he "literally flew under the radar," then one of the talk show people quipped, "Well why don't they lower the radar?"

loving love news channels talking about aviation

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Control Volume posted:

"Well why don't they lower the radar?"

That just makes it even worse!

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Control Volume posted:

Fox News was on at the gym talking about this, someone made a tepid joke about how he "literally flew under the radar," then one of the talk show people quipped, "Well why don't they lower the radar?"

If you liked that then you'll love the commentary on this one:
http://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/video/see-planes-terrifying-takeoff/vi-AAaVWXn?ocid=iehp

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.
Finally got the ATP sim ride done for my CL-65 Type Rating :hellyeah:
Now for differences training in the sim tomorrow to learn the idiosyncrasies more better features on the -700 and -900...AWSEFT if ya don't mind updating the OP ;)

Control Volume posted:

:lol: between this and Asiana this week I've had much needed humor from the idiocy of others in aviation lately

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

dude in the middle owns

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Control Volume posted:

dude in the middle owns

:byodood: "See, this is why they should go to a different airport!"

:what: "... they were taking off."

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Somebody send Kai Tak videos to CNN please.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

Butt Reactor posted:

Now for differences training in the sim tomorrow to learn the idiosyncrasies more better features on the -700 and -900...AWSEFT if ya don't mind updating the OP ;)

Well done!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

CharlesM posted:

Somebody send Kai Tak videos to CNN please.

Toncontin, as well (which is still active if I'm not mistaken, unlike Kai Tak).

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Started tailwheel training today, should have done this years ago.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

e.pilot posted:

Started tailwheel training today, should have done this years ago.

What plane?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

DNova posted:

What plane?

150hp Citabria.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

e.pilot posted:

150hp Citabria.

:hfive: that and a Cessna 140 are the only taildraggers I've flown to date, but it's been a blast every time. Just try not to ground loop it....

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Butt Reactor posted:

:hfive: that and a Cessna 140 are the only taildraggers I've flown to date, but it's been a blast every time. Just try not to ground loop it....

I've done a lot of tail time, but never a 140. The reason I say this is because my dream is to own a 140, so I'm jelly.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
High five, 140 crew. I got my private license in one.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Butt Reactor posted:

Done. Congrats!

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Today's edition of Good Idea Theatre:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWXndyhO3YM

(he flew it 80 miles [!!!] back to his home airport and is rumored to have removed the props himself before any investigators arrived)

And then we find this Trade-A-Plane listing that popped up shortly thereafter:

Trade-A-Plane posted:

needs props

overdesigned fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 24, 2015

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

overdesigned posted:

(he flew it 80 miles [!!!] back to his home airport and is rumored to have removed the props himself before any investigators arrived)

What the gently caress

edit: screenshot of ad

sleepy gary fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Apr 24, 2015

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

overdesigned posted:

Hopefully he got on the nearest computer and filed a NASA report.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Needs props...? What about the engines hahaha. Oh florida. Jesus.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

overdesigned posted:

:psyduck:

What is this I don't even...I laughed like an idiot and am actually slightly disappointed I saw the spoiler of the outcome. The sound of the props dragging on the runway is fitting of the massive brain fart behind this. It wouldn't have been funny had he crashed, but :wtc:?

Did he intend to land and forget to extend the gear or was this a "Hey, watch this!" which Did Not Work? And then the cameraman's "You're gonna git yer first wreck!".

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Apr 24, 2015

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

So I need this patch like I need my next breath:

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

I'm sure one of you is more versed in the new regs regarding ATPs and can answer this for me.

I currently hold an ATP Multi w/ Commercial Single Engine privileges. If I wanted to get SE ATP what would I have to do?

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

AWSEFT posted:

I'm sure one of you is more versed in the new regs regarding ATPs and can answer this for me.

I currently hold an ATP Multi w/ Commercial Single Engine privileges. If I wanted to get SE ATP what would I have to do?

From looking through the current ATP Practical Test Standards, it looks like you'd have to do the entire ATP checkride in a single engine airplane, since the FAA doesn't do an "add on" like they do for private and commercial certificates.

I don't think you'd have to take the written again, and unless you've failed the checkride before, you wouldn't need an endorsement from an instructor either.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.
The question is why? What air carrier requires a single engine ATP? If you like to collect ratings though more power to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Two Kings posted:

The question is why? What air carrier requires a single engine ATP? If you like to collect ratings though more power to you.

Somebody operating a Pilatus requiring an ATP, maybe? I know there are a few EAS carriers using PC-12s as their weapon of choice.

• Locked thread