Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dacap posted:

AMC has confirmed that Dominic Cooper will be Jesse Custer in Preacher

He seems a little older than Jesse was in the comic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
So are we thinking moon knight for the new Marvel show? I'm thinking moon knight.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Barry Convex posted:

As far as dramas, the Shondaland shows and OUAT all get better ratings.

"Highest rated superhero TV show" is meaningless given CW's very different business model, and I think Flash has actually done better some weeks.

Wait, poo poo, really, god SHIELD sucks.

Didn't realize the Shondaland shows were ABC (also didn't recognize the term, but googling it quickly made me realize why it was one).

Oh, speaking of shows set in Seattle that aren't shot there (and poo poo based on comic books), iZombie is pretty good..

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Skwirl posted:

Shondaland

Would probably make a good comics universe.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lightning Lord posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkRBqDwLpn4

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lightning Lord posted:

Olivia takes over the Hand; becomes avatar of the Beast.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Barry Convex posted:

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/04/17/marvel-john-ridley

What's crazy is that this is apparently separate from the reported Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. spinoff, which would make for a total of FOUR Marvel shows on ABC (not all concurrently, but still) if everything including Agent Carter gets picked up.

I don't understand how that makes business sense for ABC given the middling ratings of the Marvel shows this season, but hey, I won't complain. Probably doesn't bode well for Agent Carter's chances of a second season, though.

I got confused and was thinking of John C Reilly. Got me all psyched up for a Nova Corps show for a minute there

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Kingtheninja posted:

So are we thinking moon knight for the new Marvel show? I'm thinking moon knight.

Howard Duck

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Barry Convex posted:

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/04/17/marvel-john-ridley

What's crazy is that this is apparently separate from the reported Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. spinoff, which would make for a total of FOUR Marvel shows on ABC (not all concurrently, but still) if everything including Agent Carter gets picked up.

I don't understand how that makes business sense for ABC given the middling ratings of the Marvel shows this season, but hey, I won't complain. Probably doesn't bode well for Agent Carter's chances of a second season, though.

Runaways has been something that's been talked about for a long time in getting a TV adaption. I'd bet on that.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Heroes for hire that somehow avoids Cage and Rand.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

StumblyWumbly posted:

Heroes for hire that somehow avoids Cage and Rand.

Misty Knight and Colleen Wing show?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Namor the series

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Its a Patsy Walker teenage drama.

Then Hellcat is introduced in the Marvel movies and its revealed the abc show was something her dad based around her childhood.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Captain Briton

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

mr.capps posted:

Then Hellcat is introduced in the Marvel movies and its revealed the abc show was something her dad based around her childhood.

Patsy Walker is part of Jessica Jones.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

mr.capps posted:

Millie the Model.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
If there's any justice, it would be Fat Cobra Adventures.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Lightning Lord posted:

That would actually be pretty cool. They could include Sif as a stand-in for Valkyrie and do a mash-up of Heroes for Hire and the recent Fearless Defenders run, that was a fun concept.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Nextwave :getin:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Don't tease me with things too awesome for this world.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I just finished Daredevil and I think the only thing I'm disappointed in was the final DD vs. Kingpin fight. I mean, I know neither of them have super powers (well, okay Matt has some powers but not super powers) but man it just felt like an anticlimax. And drat, for his sudden big climactic appearance in his suit, Daredevil sure did learn how to job. I mean, the whole show, Daredevil's been doing flips and poo poo while dodging actual bullets, then like 2 minutes into this one, Fisk hits him in the head with a piece of rebar like twice... I guess just so Matt can show off how neat his new armor is when his brain isn't knocked out of his skull. I gave him a pass for getting his rear end kicked during his first encounter with Fisk because he had lost a shitload of blood fighting Nobu, but at the end? He's a kung fu guy with super senses, Fisk is just a very strong man. There really shouldn't be a reason Matt's the underdog lying on the ground being beaten on near the end.

Also in non-Daredevil show chat, it really is ridiculous how many people know that Barry's the Flash on the Flash, yet they keep trying to do this "Oh no Iris just can't know because... reasons". It might've made sense earlier in the season when less people knew or back when Reverse Flash was sending Joe West death threats, but now loving everybody knows but Iris (including the entire cast of a separate show!). It's like all my problems with Thea from season 2 of Arrow are just repeating themselves.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

TwoPair posted:

I just finished Daredevil and I think the only thing I'm disappointed in was the final DD vs. Kingpin fight. I mean, I know neither of them have super powers (well, okay Matt has some powers but not super powers) but man it just felt like an anticlimax. And drat, for his sudden big climactic appearance in his suit, Daredevil sure did learn how to job. I mean, the whole show, Daredevil's been doing flips and poo poo while dodging actual bullets, then like 2 minutes into this one, Fisk hits him in the head with a piece of rebar like twice... I guess just so Matt can show off how neat his new armor is when his brain isn't knocked out of his skull. I gave him a pass for getting his rear end kicked during his first encounter with Fisk because he had lost a shitload of blood fighting Nobu, but at the end? He's a kung fu guy with super senses, Fisk is just a very strong man. There really shouldn't be a reason Matt's the underdog lying on the ground being beaten on near the end.
Yeah agreed 100%. At no point do I feel like they did the work to convince me that Fisk was capable of taking on Daredevil in an even fight. It felt unearned, it felt like there were no stakes since Daredevil is so much better, it just felt forced.

TwoPair posted:

Also in non-Daredevil show chat, it really is ridiculous how many people know that Barry's the Flash on the Flash, yet they keep trying to do this "Oh no Iris just can't know because... reasons". It might've made sense earlier in the season when less people knew or back when Reverse Flash was sending Joe West death threats, but now loving everybody knows but Iris (including the entire cast of a separate show!). It's like all my problems with Thea from season 2 of Arrow are just repeating themselves.
And it can't even be said that keeping her away from the Flash keeps her safe. Iris is already a known friend of the Flash and already has been attacked because of it. Keeping her in the dark just makes it harder for her to make good decisions to keep herself safe. Their justification makes ZERO sense.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's basically the Lois Lane logic, but it's not even like she's ever given the impression that she's into the Flash in anything more than a superficial celeb crush way, so you can't even use the 'I want her to like me for me!" logic (doubly so considering Joe's the one insisting on it).

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well if Lois found out she'd plaster that poo poo on the front page of the news, that is, until she feel in love with Clark, which wasn't until years after the silver age ended. Plus Superman didn't share his secret with anyone except his parents, his mermaid high school girlfriend, and Batman. He didn't even tell his best friend Jimmy. But also he didn't wear a mask so no one except Lois suspected he had a secret identity anyway. People thought he was Superman 24/7.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Lightning Lord posted:

Knightwing Restorations. They could make it like the Friday the 13th series; trying to recover weird poo poo that's gotten loose.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

TwoPair posted:

I see where you're coming from but I think Fisk had not completely transformed into the Kingpin yet. He was still fighting with rage and emotion and not channeling it. He saw his cunning attempts at escape fail him and he lashed out in stupid and petty ways. Matt channeled his own rage and was disciplined and Kingpin was rash in it. And the only other fight they had it was after Matt took out a bunch of guys and was already injured so it really wasn't a fair fight at all

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

TwoPair posted:

I can see them keeping this mess up for the rest of the season, but if it goes on, I'm just going to lose it. The only problem with the show. Even then, it can be easy to justify because it's all rooted in a dad being stupidly overprotective of his daughter, Barry's willingness to go along with his adoptive father, Eddie's willingness to not piss off someone whose daughter he probably wants to marry--everyone else knowing it's not their secret to tell her.

I do like that there's already the feeling that the Thawne/Allen generational rivalry is going to come about because of this.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah. It's definitely going to lead to: 1.) Eddie and Iris break up, 2.) Barry gets together with her at some point, 2.5?) Spills the beans about his identity, 3.) Eddie sees them kiss through a window at the CCPD while he brings a bouquet or some poo poo, 4.) Eddie swears eternal vengeance on the Allen line

And then when it happens I will actually yell "Come the gently caress on!" audibly at my television.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I have genuinely NO idea why the keep that particular story element, of all things. Not only is the in-universe justification bullshit , it also prevents Iris from actually participating in the main story of any given episodes, meaning that every scene with spent her is a scene we are not spending on the much more interesting superhero plot of the episode.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
DC stuff has always been obsessed with secret identities to silly levels. It would be bad if say Bruce Wayne was outed as Batman in general, but having his closet friends know, not really a biggy.

I feel kinda bad, I binge watched all of arrow for the start of season 3, but I've really been bored by this season since they came back from the break. The flashbacks are boring and its mostly about "you lied to me!" type situations.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 18, 2015

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

notthegoatseguy posted:

I see where you're coming from but I think Fisk had not completely transformed into the Kingpin yet. He was still fighting with rage and emotion and not channeling it. He saw his cunning attempts at escape fail him and he lashed out in stupid and petty ways. Matt channeled his own rage and was disciplined and Kingpin was rash in it. And the only other fight they had it was after Matt took out a bunch of guys and was already injured so it really wasn't a fair fight at all

That's what I'm saying though. Fisk was using his crazy strength but using no real training or finesse to win, whereas Matt was disciplined and had training and superpowers. It shouldn't have been a fair fight, it should have been Matt just wrecking Fisk, but for some reason the show chooses to have Matt just stop dodging punches and start taking shots to the face like an idiot just because it's the final climactic fight. At the end, Matt has to make a dramatic comeback after getting literally stomped by Fisk, but there should be no way that Matt's even getting knocked to the ground. At the very least, if the show wanted the audience to believe that Fisk was a threat in a fight like that, they could at least have thrown in a throwaway line at some point about him taking martial arts classes. Instead all we've seen him do in fights is charge like a bull and punch the poo poo out of opponents (and murder gruesomely) , which are things we've also seen Daredevil dodge and counter just as easily in fights, but like I said, during the final fight he just decides "Nah, let's just see how this plays out if I don't really give it my all"

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

twistedmentat posted:

DC stuff has always been obsessed with secret identities to silly levels. It would be bad if say Bruce Wayne was outed as Batman in general, but having his closet friends know, not really a biggy.

This has always extremely annoyed, especially since it is used so often for cheap drama. Yes, a secret identity to the general public is probably a good thing. but there is no real advantage gained from constantly lying to your friends and family.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

e X posted:

I have genuinely NO idea why the keep that particular story element, of all things. Not only is the in-universe justification bullshit , it also prevents Iris from actually participating in the main story of any given episodes, meaning that every scene with spent her is a scene we are not spending on the much more interesting superhero plot of the episode.

I don't understand why they made her a reporter if she never investigates anything. Iris is so far removed from the main plot of the show it's crazy. If anything she's the one who should know his secret and not Joe.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I think they missed a huge opportunity by not having Iris be the one that discovers that Wells isn't who he says he is and/or that he's the Reverse Flash through some actual reporting/investigating. That way she gets to do something, she becomes an integral part of the main plotline, and there's an interesting dynamic that develops that the writers can play with where Iris tells the Flash about it but then still doesn't know that it's Barry, so they get to do their usual "Why are you being so weird?" drama that they love so much without having to resort to "WHAT ARE YOU HIDING FROM ME??!?!?!". It'd be way more interesting if Barry's struggle with Wells was him having to decide whether Iris was right about Wells despite everything Wells has done for him. Instead he just acts moody because he knows for a fact that Wells is RF and that leads to a bunch of passive aggressive scenes and shots of Wells thinking "Hmmm he sure seems to be acting strange".

Oh well. Fingers crossed that they at least have something interesting planned for her character for the season finale arc or at least season 2.

VDay fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 18, 2015

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Everything involving Iris is easily the worst part of the show.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
The CW team doesn't write women very compellingly.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

I still play the theme song every now and again.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

"Let's savor this show!" I tell my boyfriend, regarding Daredevil. "It's so good. And we'll need something to tide us over after Flash and Arrow hit their finales in a few weeks." We'd been watching one episode a day.
... until we binged episodes 7 through 13 today. :negative: We simply could not stop watching, it was so drat good. And I'm a DC gal whose knowledge of Daredevil is mostly derived from being an Elektra fan back in the day. All I knew was DD's origin, and that Kingpin was some guy who didn't look like he could fit through an average door. So it's not fandom speaking, here, just appreciation for a really good comics-based show.

Also, it feels like I'm the only person itt still watching Powers, which should tell me something. But by the end of this week's ep, I hoped that kid Crispin gets some kind of comeuppance. Kid lost his dad and then inadvertently killed his mom by being a dumbass, and I still want him to suffer. God I hate him. Actually, I don't like anyone on that show. What an unlikeable cast of characters.

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Apr 19, 2015

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

JacquelineDempsey posted:

"Let's savor this show!" I tell my boyfriend, regarding Daredevil. "It's so good. And we'll need something to tide us over after Flash and Arrow hit their finales in a few weeks." We'd been watching one episode a day.
... until we binged episodes 7 through 13 today. :negative: We simply could not stop watching, it was so drat good. And I'm a DC gal whose knowledge of Daredevil is mostly derived from being an Elektra fan back in the day. All I knew was DD's origin, and that Kingpin was some guy who didn't look like he could fit through an average door. So it's not fandom speaking, here, just appreciation for a really good comics-based show.

Also, it feels like I'm the only person itt still watching Powers, which should tell me something. But by the end of this week's ep, I hoped that kid Crispin gets some kind of comeuppance. Kid lost his dad and then inadvertently killed his mom by being a dumbass, and I still want him to suffer. God I hate him. Actually, I don't like anyone on that show. What an unlikeable cast of characters.

I still watch Powers, and I've been loving it in spite of the flaws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Kingtheninja posted:

I still play the theme song every now and again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xuosmf1_mKs

Absolutely!