Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Blaisedell posted:

I've just got a new mac and I'm not really a fan of Fantastical 2. Does anyone know a way to download Fantastical 1? I think I had bought it on the Mac App store before but it seems to have been removed.

I think if you go to the Purchases tab in the App Store you can find things you bought even after they've been removed.

E: maybe not? I don't know, man.

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Apr 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

vtlock posted:

I recommend Keeping You Awake as a modern/updated Caffeine alternative: https://github.com/newmarcel/KeepingYouAwake

Okay, hadn't realised that I needed a new Caffeine, but that icon is reason enough to upgrade. Cheers!

Vanellope
Mar 26, 2015

I've just got pixlexia, okay?
Probably not for everyone but I really like Popclip. It's like the little popup thing you get when you select text in iOS, but for your Mac. It's customisable so there's like a million things you can do with it. it's great.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Are time machine backups basically everything set to backup for every snapshot but space savings are achieved with hard links to files that have not changed?

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Shaocaholica posted:

Are time machine backups basically everything set to backup for every snapshot but space savings are achieved with hard links to files that have not changed?

Pretty much

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

NeuralSpark posted:

Pretty much

Neato, thanks! Glad to know the inner workings are pretty straight forward and not obfuscated.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

DigitalRaven posted:

Alfred, as mentioned. Caffeine to selectively prevent screen lock.

Everything else depends on what you use the machine for; my essentials would include:

iTerm2 if you do anything in a terminal ever.

Textmate if you do any text editing (e.g. scripting, programming).

Alfred and Caffeine look useful, thanks.

For my text editing I've just been using sublime text and it seems there's an OSX version for that as well

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

I'm a huge fan of TextMate, but Sublime looks like loving magic so I'm going to try it out, thanks!

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Apr 18, 2015

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sublime's customization is user hostile. The process of installing and configuring plugins is not very intuitive or discoverable. You basically have to google every little thing because instead of giving you a real settings window they have you modify a JSON file to modify your settings. The community is not very good at giving comprehensible instructions to new users. I managed to get the plugins I needed working and will basically just avoid touching it from now on. I'm content to let the nag pop up every so often. I'm not paying $70 for software with such a primitive interface. The app is rarely updated, and you can move to atom and get set up with pretty much the same functionality now anyway.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

fleshweasel posted:

Sublime's customization is user hostile. The process of installing and configuring plugins is not very intuitive or discoverable. You basically have to google every little thing because instead of giving you a real settings window they have you modify a JSON file to modify your settings. The community is not very good at giving comprehensible instructions to new users. I managed to get the plugins I needed working and will basically just avoid touching it from now on. I'm content to let the nag pop up every so often. I'm not paying $70 for software with such a primitive interface. The app is rarely updated, and you can move to atom and get set up with pretty much the same functionality now anyway.

Uh, its target market is programmers. You might as well complain that vim has a primitive interface.

Atom would be great if it weren't ball crushingly slow by comparison. I don't think their Chromium architecture is all that smart given the performance implications.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Lexicon posted:

Uh, its target market is programmers. You might as well complain that vim has a primitive interface.

Atom would be great if it weren't ball crushingly slow by comparison. I don't think their Chromium architecture is all that smart given the performance implications.

vim *does* have a primitive interface, so I'm not getting what point you're making.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's a powerful editor and really good once you learn it, but there's a learning curve to customizing it for no good reason. Programmers have the persistence to get around it but that doesn't make it good design in any way.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

No love for TextWrangler?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bob Morales posted:

No love for TextWrangler?

I love TextWrangler. I use it to write all my python scripts to do interesting things with splunk data. Before that I was all about vi/vim, because UNIX in the late '80s is when I started using computers and programming (we don't talk about programming in VMS) and I knew vi like the back of my hand.

However, for stuff that isn't about editing basic txt files, fixing up a csv, or slinging together a bash or python script, I'm not sure how much utility it has for people working with large development teams. BBEdit would probably be a better choice at that point.

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.

Blaisedell posted:

I've just got a new mac and I'm not really a fan of Fantastical 2. Does anyone know a way to download Fantastical 1? I think I had bought it on the Mac App store before but it seems to have been removed.

Scroll down on this page and you'll find a download for Fantastical 1: http://flexibits.com/fantastical/faq

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

fleshweasel posted:

Atom is fine if you don't want to shell out the cash/deal with the unregistered popups of Sublime. But Sublime is MUCH more faster and robust.

I don't understand your complaints, JSON isn't some mystery format,, especially to people who need a text editor for programmers, and it makes it easy to transport your config between machines. And it lets plugins and theme sets add in their own prefs without all that overhead. It's not that they haven't bothered to put in a fancy GUI prefspane, it's that it'd be genuinely worse for the target market.

Installing package control is a little funky I guess, but it's just pasting in a command one time. After that you have a type as you find search for anything you may need.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
^ Precisely my point.

The objection seems to be that a programmer's tool is configured in a means amenable to programmers :psyduck:

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If you want to change a setting that hasn't been specified in your preferences file you need to plumb around on Google or somewhere else to find out if it even exists and what values it can be given.

Of course your settings get written to a textfile or something in the end. These files are equally portable for almost any text editor or IDE. Look at any files IntelliJ products spit out and it's all XML. Your data interchange format is not an acceptable user interface.

I have to assume there's a certain kind of person that gets tickled by feeling like they're a hacker or something when it comes to the brittle and tedious process of setting up Sublime.

brap fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Apr 18, 2015

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
How about Scrivener vs. Ulysses II?

I'd love to get into an integrated solution for academic writing, though I think I depend on Evernote's web clipper too much and Google Docs has really been good enough for everything except final draft formatting since I started using it six years ago.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

fleshweasel posted:

If you want to change a setting that hasn't been specified in your preferences file you need to plumb around on Google or somewhere else to find out if it even exists and what values it can be given.

Of course your settings get written to a textfile or something in the end. These files are equally portable for almost any text editor or IDE. Look at any files IntelliJ products spit out and it's all XML. Your data interchange format is not an acceptable user interface.

I have to assume there's a certain kind of person that gets tickled by feeling like they're a hacker or something when it comes to the brittle and tedious process of setting up Sublime.

You copy the contents of the default settings file to the user settings file and customize. No google necessary. I wouldn't call the hideously complex set of menus and dialogs in an IntelliJ an acceptable interface either. I find it a lot easier to find the setting you want by searching a text file than to sift through the rats nest of settings that is most IDEs. In conclusion: Use what you like.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

tuyop posted:

I'd love to get into an integrated solution for academic writing, though I think I depend on Evernote's web clipper too much and Google Docs has really been good enough for everything except final draft formatting since I started using it six years ago.

You use the tools that let you get to writing. I've seen too many people get so caught up in finding the 'perfect' workflow, that they do nothing but setting up and tweaking tools.

I've written some technical books, and all I've used is DevonThink Pro Office (I use it for other stuff as well) to organize my research and notes, Byword for the drafts, and Word for the final formatting before sending it off the editor. I haven't done anything in a few years and I may one day if I'm able to free up time to devote to it, but I can't see it changing too much. I still do it on a smaller scale with internal documents and white papers.

Scrivener may help you, and from time to time I'm tempted to open it up and check it out, but ultimately use what allows you to get to the meat of it (writing).

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

The Milkman posted:

I don't understand your complaints, JSON isn't some mystery format,, especially to people who need a text editor for programmers, and it makes it easy to transport your config between machines. And it lets plugins and theme sets add in their own prefs without all that overhead. It's not that they haven't bothered to put in a fancy GUI prefspane, it's that it'd be genuinely worse for the target market.

fleshweasel kinda covered it but seriously? Using JSON to serialize prefs does not imply it's harder for the authors of Sublime to write a GUI prefs pane. Nor does it imply that end users would suffer if one were included. I'm very much in the target audience and I don't want to gently caress around searching through documentation every time I want to change something, I want to have a well designed GUI that makes even esoteric settings easily discoverable. It's sadly common for developers writing tools for developers to shrug and assume their users can handle bad UI, but that doesn't really make it okay.

fake edit: not being familiar with it, I visited the Sublime website before hitting post and oh my. They boast about using a custom crossplatform UI toolkit and they didn't even bother writing GUI prefpanes in their own system? Ha. Probably means their ~custom special snowflake~ GUI is so horribly limited that they can't be bothered trying to make anything much more complicated than plaintext editor windows. I'll grant that their whizbang cool kid text editing features look suitably whizzo in those "download-me-now" anim-GIFs they've put up, but it's hard to take this program seriously when it's well over 5 years old and isn't even finished (by my standards, anyways).

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

BobHoward posted:

fleshweasel kinda covered it but seriously? Using JSON to serialize prefs does not imply it's harder for the authors of Sublime to write a GUI prefs pane. Nor does it imply that end users would suffer if one were included. I'm very much in the target audience and I don't want to gently caress around searching through documentation every time I want to change something, I want to have a well designed GUI that makes even esoteric settings easily discoverable. It's sadly common for developers writing tools for developers to shrug and assume their users can handle bad UI, but that doesn't really make it okay.

fake edit: not being familiar with it, I visited the Sublime website before hitting post and oh my. They boast about using a custom crossplatform UI toolkit and they didn't even bother writing GUI prefpanes in their own system? Ha. Probably means their ~custom special snowflake~ GUI is so horribly limited that they can't be bothered trying to make anything much more complicated than plaintext editor windows. I'll grant that their whizbang cool kid text editing features look suitably whizzo in those "download-me-now" anim-GIFs they've put up, but it's hard to take this program seriously when it's well over 5 years old and isn't even finished (by my standards, anyways).

You sure have made a lot of awful conclusions about a program you've never used and don't understand

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

BobHoward posted:

it's hard to take this program seriously when it's well over 5 years old and isn't even finished (by my standards, anyways).

The appeal of sublime is its plugin community. And it's not difficult to use. Package manager handles 99% of my setup, and I rarely have to deal with the config files. But it's all workflow dependent. For me, their Pandoc support is best-in-class. For others, I'm sure that's less important. Luckily, this is the golden age of plain text editing, and there are many options to meet idiosyncratic workflows and usage scenarios.

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

I work in sublime all day, it's my editor of choice, and I'm not alone.

Atom is kinda ok, but its written in C++ / Node.js / CoffeeScript / JS / CSS / HTML, which is an odd choice considering the C++/Python of Sublime. The plugin community in atom is just not there right now, and to be honest I'm not sure they will get there anytime soon. Not to the depth that Sublime has.

Look if you're a special snowflake and cannot understand JSON then you really shouldn't be programming in the first place.

Basically:

If you want your text editor to hold your hand, you should be using an IDE, or something like Dreamweaver..

If you want to get poo poo done faster then there are plenty of better alternatives.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

tuyop posted:

I've used Scrivener for all my published writing over the past six years or so. I'm at the point where it'd take me months longer to complete a draft without it. I took a look at Ulysses, but I do too much with features that Ulysses doesn't have (e.g. the corkboard) to make the jump.

That said, pick one that you prefer and use it. Don't spend ages trying to decide between the two. The only way to write is to write, and prevaricating is a subset of "not writing".

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

The Milkman posted:

You sure have made a lot of awful conclusions about a program you've never used and don't understand

Can you name one that is objectively wrong?

Into The Mild posted:

Look if you're a special snowflake and cannot understand JSON then you really shouldn't be programming in the first place.

I've written scripts which use JSON as an input file format. It isn't rocket science.

I have strong opinions about GUI software which punts on having a decent interface because the authors are writing only for themselves, or assume their users are experts and don't mind (aka writing only for themselves). I've spent far too much of my life fighting software like that. Stop defending that aspect of the program, stop trying to make excuses because ~programmer's editor~, that part of it is poo poo and you know it.

I don't even doubt that this program can work well for many people. It can't have lasted this long without having some merits. Also, a subset of programmers are total suckers for radically weird text editors with cool source code oriented features, and are willing to look past bad UI to get their fix. Sublime seems to fit that mold.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I'm having a weird problem with my MacMini, it's trying to install the supplemental 10.10.3 update, but after it installs it and says it's going to restart it just does nothing. If I open any programs, it complains that it can't restart with them open, but if I close them all nothing happens. After a manual reboot and shutdown the problem comes right back on the next boot. Google is failing me since it's pretty specific problem and I keep finding people that can't restart after an update, but not before the update it actually installed.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

BobHoward posted:

I don't even doubt that this program can work well for many people. It can't have lasted this long without having some merits. Also, a subset of programmers are total suckers for radically weird text editors with cool source code oriented features, and are willing to look past bad UI to get their fix. Sublime seems to fit that mold.

Hell, that's probably why emacs is *still* holding on.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

DigitalRaven posted:

I've used Scrivener for all my published writing over the past six years or so. I'm at the point where it'd take me months longer to complete a draft without it. I took a look at Ulysses, but I do too much with features that Ulysses doesn't have (e.g. the corkboard) to make the jump.

That said, pick one that you prefer and use it. Don't spend ages trying to decide between the two. The only way to write is to write, and prevaricating is a subset of "not writing".

Scrivener really sounds like a good solution since you can import Evernote notes pretty easily, thanks. The next time I'm doing some long writing I'll make the change (Master's probably next year).

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I'm not really a fan of Sublime. Webstorm 10 and Adobe's Brackets are what I've been using lately.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I can't seem to download the 10.10.3 combo update. This page won't load for me due to "too many redirects" and that's apparently where you download it.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Seems everyone prefers Sublime or Textmate to Textwrangler. What's the major benefits?

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

I use Coda 2 :smug:

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

Cingulate posted:

Seems everyone prefers Sublime or Textmate to Textwrangler. What's the major benefits?

https://packagecontrol.io is why I use Sublime

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

tuyop posted:

Scrivener really sounds like a good solution since you can import Evernote notes pretty easily,

How, besides copy & paste? Or is that what you meant? A script or plugin or something would be neat.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Zwille posted:

How, besides copy & paste? Or is that what you meant? A script or plugin or something would be neat.

Straight drag & drop always worked for me when I used Evernote.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Has anyone had an issue with their Ethernet port playing up?

my mid 2011 iMac 27" will not get an IP from my DHCP enabled router. every other device works without issue. I can get a wireless connection established on either 2.4 or 5ghz, which is fine for web browsing however I cannot upload files to my NAS over wireless at all, and speed is limited to around 9MB/s (as close as I can tell with OS X's lovely file transfer information)

I have reset the router, reset my switch, bypassed the switch (though not relevant because everything else on the switch works fine) and removed/added the Ethernet connection again.

The switch on the port lights up green, the machine even shows up in attached devices on my loving router. It just wont transfer any data via the Ethernet port.

EDIT: IP address is not in use, manually assigning doesnt work. it even gets the static assigned IP from the router and shows up as an attached device in the routers web GUI at times.

Laserface fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Apr 19, 2015

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

See if you can boot from an alternate system disk and if the same thing happens. Otherwise it's time to get a USB to Ethernet dongle from Apple and use that instead, unless you want to pay for a logic board swap. Also try changing cables.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Binary Badger posted:

See if you can boot from an alternate system disk and if the same thing happens. Otherwise it's time to get a USB to Ethernet dongle from Apple and use that instead, unless you want to pay for a logic board swap. Also try changing cables.

If he's using GigE, he'll want to get a Thunderbolt adapter, since that model has USB 2.0.