Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

LastInLine posted:

Yes it does.

Excellent thanks! Now I'll spend the time to get the layout sorted and spam refresh for news about either the Note 5 or Nexus 6? 7 mini? Whatever it'll be called.

I want a new phone right now ( just because ) but nothing is out yet that seems to make it worth my while. I'm on a Z2 right now which I love for the waterproofing ( I regularly use Google Sky Map in the hot tub to look at the stars ) & battery life because Stamina mode is awesome. The Z3 is just a glorified Z2 so then I either need to wait for the Z4 - hope it's still waterproof, or take a dive into the insane world of non-waterproofed phones.

Whatever I pick has got to have a better camera though - the Z2/3's is supposed to be good and you'd think that since all the other phones ( including Samsung ) use their sensors that Sony would have a lock on "best camera" but it's just not that great. It takes a solid 5-10 seconds to load up from camera press, and the night/low light ( even dusk/twilight ) shots are terrible, they come out a blurry mess every time. The daytime shots ARE fantastic though, but half the time my picture taking scenarios are inside somewhere or outside not during high noon anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Alcatel Lucent is selling preorders for their Idol 3 5.5" phone for $199 this weekend. Won't ship for over a month though. Pretty similar specs to the lower end Zenfone2 for a similar price (ZF2 US pricing hasn't been announced, but 1080P model for $199 was promised at CES). I probably wouldn't pull the trigger without seeing reviews, but just in case anyone wants to take a leap. Does have LTE band 12, apparently (T-Mobile's new 700mhz band).

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

nerve posted:

Mine doesn't work well at all at my house and the pocket detection has worked zero times. But in theory you're totally right.

This is me. I set my N5 up with Home and BT (stereo) as safe zones. Worked beautifully. Then there was that Services update that added body detection. I never turned it on but my Home smart lock stopped working. I'm on an N6 now and it still doesn't work.

Edit:

http://www.ktul.com/story/28827848/tulsa-roommates-stab-each-other-over-debate-between-iphone-samsung

quote:

Two men are hospitalized after an alcohol-fueled argument began over which phone is better: iPhone or Android.

Tulsa police say a woman found a man covered in blood, stumbling around the parking lot of the Evergreen Apartments around 1 a.m.

When police arrived at the apartment complex, they learned that the roommates had been drinking and arguing over their mobile phones.

Police say the two men broke beer bottles and stabbed each other with them. One of the men smashed a bottle over the back of the other man's head.

Police aren't sure who they will charge or if charges will be filed at this time. Both men are being treated at an area hospital for their injuries.

Police did not respond when our photographer asked which phone is better.

:laffo:

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 17, 2015

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
This_Thread.RL

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Nah, this thread pretty much stays away from platform fanboyism. Now if that fight had been about removable storage or how much battery life you need before you go from average user to social pariah...

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

nerve posted:

Mine doesn't work well at all at my house and the pocket detection has worked zero times. But in theory you're totally right.

Weirdly enough, smart lock worked great for me on my GSIII with some bullshit unofficial CM 12 build.

My 2012 N7 with stock 5.1 though? That doesn't work at all. Never ever has it just unlocked for me.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Mrit posted:

Anyone updated a Nexus 4 to 5.1? I've delayed on going to 5.0 because of how many issues Lollipop has had, but I was hoping everything was running properly now.

I did. No time right now but look back a bit.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...i-nexus-7-2013/

5.1.1 is on its way for the Nexus 7 2013 and Nexus 9.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I use touchdown to read my work email. It is ugly as sin but at least it sandboxes itself so Im not subjected to remote wipe. What should I use instead?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Cultural Imperial posted:

I use touchdown to read my work email. It is ugly as sin but at least it sandboxes itself so Im not subjected to remote wipe. What should I use instead?

Nine, far better.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I tried mailwise which looked great but gave me a 4 hour battery life.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Has there been chat in here about the Jide Remix tablet?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1123481999/remix-a-laptop-experience-on-a-big-android-tablet

It's a Surface clone that does kind of a nifty thing, which is doing windowed apps by faking phone mode to make them display small on a tablet screen. I dunno how I feel about it.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

TraderStav posted:

Nine, far better.

loving awesome. Thanks

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
Any recommendations for a small usb battery pack I could put on my keychain?

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

madkapitolist posted:

Any recommendations for a small usb battery pack I could put on my keychain?

Check Motorola's online store.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I did not jump on that Moto X 2013 when I should have, because I needed to talk to my mom, first; what's the best going price for it right now?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Maker Of Shoes posted:

The USB controller is on the daughter board, yes. It might be the cable itself if it's just the data disconnecting and its still charging but it's hard to say considering most 4's die from USB failure.

It seems to happen with my car charger (different cord) as well. The phone will just randomly wake up, and it never did this before 5.1.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
A screen replacement for the S6 Edge is at minimum $380(Canadian), and you have to pay for shipping. The repair costs more than getting a new one on contract. :negative:

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Maker Of Shoes posted:

This is me. I set my N5 up with Home and BT (stereo) as safe zones. Worked beautifully. Then there was that Services update that added body detection. I never turned it on but my Home smart lock stopped working. I'm on an N6 now and it still doesn't work.

The Play Services update out today fixes this.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'm trying to factory reset a Moto G GPE on 5.1, but after a bit of it saying "Erasing" at the recovery screen (Android on its back with an open chest cavity), it says "Error". If I leave it sit, it'll reboot, but not into the setup sequence. Any ideas what's going on? It's hard to Google for "android recovery error factory reset", as you might imagine.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

I'm trying to factory reset a Moto G GPE on 5.1, but after a bit of it saying "Erasing" at the recovery screen (Android on its back with an open chest cavity), it says "Error". If I leave it sit, it'll reboot, but not into the setup sequence. Any ideas what's going on? It's hard to Google for "android recovery error factory reset", as you might imagine.

There's a special version of fastboot you need to flash the factory image called mfastboot. I'd probably do that.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
This is after that. I put in my SIM to make sure the radio works, and wanted to factory reset after that. I guess just mfastboot erase userdata at this point? If it wasn't clear, the error occurred after using the built-in factory reset method.

Edit: that worked.

hooah fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Apr 18, 2015

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Out of curiosity, is the factory GPE Lollipop image available yet or do you still have to flash KitKat and allow it to OTA? If so, can you link it for me?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

Out of curiosity, is the factory GPE Lollipop image available yet or do you still have to flash KitKat and allow it to OTA? If so, can you link it for me?

This is where I got mine from: http://www.randomphantasmagoria.com/firmware/moto-g/falcon_gpe/

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thanks, saved me some searching.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

nerve posted:

Mine stopped working at home a month or so ago, I tried adding in a second location like some people suggested but it's still spotty at best.

Smartlock still works well with the bluetooth in my car at least, so that's better than nothing.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Yep bluetooth works fine but I don't always want to be connected to bluetooth in my house!

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

VodeAndreas posted:

Mine stopped working at home a month or so ago, I tried adding in a second location like some people suggested but it's still spotty at best.

Smartlock still works well with the bluetooth in my car at least, so that's better than nothing.

I now have:
  • Home
  • Other Half of House
  • Other Other Half of House
Our house isn't big at all, either. I'm sure I'll add a fourth entry once I start spending more time in the backyard.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up
I was having trusted location problems, but the recent Play Services update seems to have fixed it.

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord

effika posted:

I now have:
  • Home
  • Other Half of House
  • Other Other Half of House
Our house isn't big at all, either. I'm sure I'll add a fourth entry once I start spending more time in the backyard.

I live in a tiny terrace house. I have two entries for this house and one for the neighbors to get it working most of the time.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Hi. Today I received the Lollipop OTA option for my at&t LG G2.

I ignored it because I wasn't ready. At some point my phone decided it would upgrade itself automatically and without my input while it was locked and in my pocket. Needless to say I'm not entirely happy about this.

Has anybody ever heard of something like this happening?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Nah, this thread pretty much stays away from platform fanboyism.

Well we can fix that: Samsung Galaxy S6 vs iPhone 6

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Rusty! posted:

I was having trusted location problems, but the recent Play Services update seems to have fixed it.

Just updated and yep, fixed it for me too.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Any complaints about the Xperia Z3 Compact? Upgrading from a Samsung S4 Galaxy.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Longbaugh01 posted:

Hi. Today I received the Lollipop OTA option for my at&t LG G2.

I ignored it because I wasn't ready. At some point my phone decided it would upgrade itself automatically and without my input while it was locked and in my pocket. Needless to say I'm not entirely happy about this.

Has anybody ever heard of something like this happening?

A carrier or OEM doing the right thing and forcing users to be on the latest software? No precedence I can think of but it's a welcome step.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

LastInLine posted:

A carrier or OEM doing the right thing and forcing users to be on the latest software? No precedence I can think of but it's a welcome step.

http://9to5google.com/2015/04/10/nexus-5-nexus-7-bricked-android-lollipop/

Forced updates are idiotic.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Got 5.1 for my Nexus 4 on thursday (still going strong after a little over 2 years, not seeing me getting a new phone anytime soon unless I drop it and it breaks).

Then I turned on NFC yesterday because I wanted to beam a file between to phones and found out this morning that the sleep of death issue IS STILL NOT FIXED.

Holy poo poo, Google. :wtc:

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Is there an easy way to tell my phone to disable Wifi when i leave home and reactivate it when im back?
I dont need it at work but i keep forgetting to reactivate it and eat up my data.
Its a rooted M8 on Lollipop if thats important.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Just leave it on. It uses more power to toggle on and off than to just leave it constantly running.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Forced updates should be the norm and there's no reason at all not to do it. Users should not have the option to forgo security patches and API updates because it puts them at risk for things they do not and cannot understand.

As for the linked article, I have a tough time believing it's anything but cheap NAND dying. Reading through the thread, none of the afflicted users had this happen immediately upon update but rather some time later. Their train of thought seems to be "Well the last thing that changed is that update and now my device doesn't work," which does anything but point to it being software issue. It's far more likely that it was dying anyway and they're just connecting dots that don't exist.

Of course all the users in the thread are on Lollipop--that's the current software release. I'd imagine somewhere near 100% of the iPhone hardware failures Apple has had to deal with in the last few months has been on devices running iOS 8.

If anything the current tempest in a teapot about this is a great example of why updates should be forced because anyone reading it thinking the software is causing hardware failures days, weeks, and months later and therefore chooses to forgo updating really shouldn't be in charge of making such decisions as they clearly lack the understanding necessary to make an informed choice. :colbert: