Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRwhm-B6yNI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
they need to just bring back the king of punchman animes for reals. Where's my DragonballZ: part two

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
The MaixTrunks thing is like the opposite of that awful trope. Instead of the girl's real age "justifying" her to date older men, the girl's visual age is "justifying" her to date young men. Some big rear end quotes on the words justifying there. Regardless of what way you flip it, this anime trope is loving creepy. Really wish it wasn't being introduced to DBZ.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

gently caress, this looks so good.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Covok posted:

The MaixTrunks thing is like the opposite of that awful trope. Instead of the girl's real age "justifying" her to date older men, the girl's visual age is "justifying" her to date young men. Some big rear end quotes on the words justifying there. Regardless of what way you flip it, this anime trope is loving creepy. Really wish it wasn't being introduced to DBZ.

It was a 'mistaken identity' gag from Battle of Gods and Mai actively wanted no part of it. It gets referenced once in a trailer (and while I don't speak Japanese, I'm guessing its a gag to the effect of 'stop threatening us or I'll have Trunks come kick your rear end'), I really don't think its gonna be this big creepy thing.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

jivjov posted:

It was a 'mistaken identity' gag from Battle of Gods and Mai actively wanted no part of it. It gets referenced once in a trailer (and while I don't speak Japanese, I'm guessing its a gag to the effect of 'stop threatening us or I'll have Trunks come kick your rear end'), I really don't think its gonna be this big creepy thing.

shh, you'll ruin the outrage

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

TheKingofSprings posted:

I've had quite enough of manufactured outrage on the internet, thank you.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

Oh come on don't do this. People were a bit weirded out that the film seemed to be implying a 40 year old woman was dating a pre-teen, perhaps that's not the case but it's hardly the worst excesses of internet outrage for being showing some concern either way

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

TheKingofSprings posted:

You should note he is basing this on nothing but a hunch, so you really, really have no room to talk.

Though his interpretation doesn't mesh with BOG which did play up the fact it was getting more real as time went on.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
The Mai and Trunks thing is hilarious so I don't care.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

NowonSA posted:

I also read a similar look at some panels showing one of Goku's fights at the Tenkaichi Budokai that showed off how Toriyama was adding a feeling of motion and time passing both across the page as a whole and through individual panels.

Would you mind linking it? I'm curious to see how we agree - likely we'll agree a lot since I have something of a trained art background and the stuff I'm going over is quite orthodox. I think it's a shame that people who don't plan to create art are often unfamiliar with this sort of thing though because I think it enhances enjoyment. I also think it's a shame that you have to reach college-level to take classes that apply establishment/classical art critique to pop culture, because I think more people would learn to care about literature, art, music etc. if you showed them how to analyze stuff they actually like. (Of course classics are important, but I think they should be taught alongside "lesser" works.)

Anyway, next effort post to arrive shortly after I wrap up with work!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Prison Warden posted:

The Mai and Trunks thing is hilarious so I don't care.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I finished the Red Ribbon Army saga today, and and other than the General Blue stuff being played out a little too long I thought it was really quite fun. I love how Tao was basically the anti-Goku in all aspects.

It would be neat to see how DBM or Xenoverse 2 or something would play with this arc. Goku defeating the entire Red Ribbon Army is badass, but I can't help but think that maybe this is really where the "problem" of Goku being vastly stronger than most of his friends really begins. After all, he spends like half of DBZ trying to find a successor strong enough to replace him, as most of his friends certainly aren't able to catch up with his strength anymore. Hell the entire Future Trunks timeline-something painted as a drawn-out consequence of the Red Ribbon Army's defeat- is kind of Goku's fault in a way. Perhaps if he wasn't trying to solo everything and worked with his friends more, things could have played out differently in DBZ.

Xibanya posted:

I think it's a shame that people who don't plan to create art are often unfamiliar with this sort of thing though because I think it enhances enjoyment. I also think it's a shame that you have to reach college-level to take classes that apply establishment/classical art critique to pop culture, because I think more people would learn to care about literature, art, music etc. if you showed them how to analyze stuff they actually like. (Of course classics are important, but I think they should be taught alongside "lesser" works.)

Some people get really, really unreasonably mad about even making an attempt to analyze stuff in pop culture. Someone in TVIV linked to this idiotic article complaining about someone on Twitter putting a slight effort into analyzing that Too Many Cooks video, and it was super cringe-inducing to read.

Really frustrating people to deal with. I can't imagine having to actually teach someone like that about how to critically think about art.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Apr 18, 2015

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
It's a joke, folks. A gag. A bit of situational humor.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Covok posted:

Goons shaken to core about dumb call back joke in children's cartoon, In other news, water wet.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

It's kind of weird but funny.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Are we still doing that dumb thing where just posting its a childrens cartoon makes any criticism vanish into the night?

Because that would be awfully dumb if we were.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Is there any reason why the official manga translation at the very beginning (as in Farmer with a Shotgun beginning) is so bad? Because it's bad. ("Wish you to die?!")

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

mycot posted:

Is there any reason why the official manga translation at the very beginning (as in Farmer with a Shotgun beginning) is so bad? Because it's bad. ("Wish you to die?!")

Because those scans were done in like the early 90s. And were probably done from Japanese -> Chinese -> English. or something like that.

They also have comical amounts of swearing.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Is it weird that I find the Trunks/Mai thing to be cute more than anything?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Goddamn, that's some dragon ball rear end dragon ball. If they can keep on pumping out arcs compressed into movies like this then loving go for it. It doesn't even bother me that it's a reused villain, either, 'cause most of the "new" villains are rehashes anyway.

(seriously, I just watched muscle tower and lol at not-Buu)

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

Are we still doing that dumb thing where just posting its a childrens cartoon makes any criticism vanish into the night?

Because that would be awfully dumb if we were.

I guess so, and if this benign, unoffensive joke made at a character's expense actually freaks you out you should probably not be posting in the thread about a kids' cartoon where an old man makes 2 kids go pick up chicks for him. And a pig man wishes for an underaged girl's panties. Or that same girl flashes an old man to get his Ball.

No seriously, it's a small joke that's not played in any serious light and is one of the most Dragon Ball things in the new movies.

Side note: Man Bulma's a loving weirdo. Rereading DB has reminded me she is just as bad as every one of Goku's friends.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Apr 18, 2015

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

The first thing I think of whenever people talk about censorship is the toonami edit of Dragonball where Bulma showed Master Roshi her bellybutton instead of flashing him, because he really, really wanted to see that bellybutton, and oh boy was he excited to see that girl's bellybutton.

Still weird as hell

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Side note: Man Bulma's a loving weirdo. Rereading DB has reminded me she is just as bad as every one of Goku's friends.
Hmm, a small child in the middle of the wilderness.

Better shoot it.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
New trailer looks rad, so psyched for Revival of F

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I don't think Mai is actually romantically interested in Trunks, especially since their relationship was just meant to impress goten from the beginning, but he probably considers her a friend who did him a huge solid and would gladly beat up some pushover schlub if she asked. That's my analysis of a joke in Dragon Ball Z, thanks

I mean, I don't speak Japanese, so

dogs named Charlie
Apr 5, 2009

by exmarx
If Trunks is actually in a relationship with a 40 yo woman then somehow Vegeta found a way to be a worse dad than Goku.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Raserys posted:

I don't think Mai is actually romantically interested in Trunks, especially since their relationship was just meant to impress goten from the beginning, but he probably considers her a friend who did him a huge solid and would gladly beat up some pushover schlub if she asked. That's my analysis of a joke in Dragon Ball Z, thanks

Raserys posted:

You're probably right, it's still really cute though

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

I guess so, and if this benign, unoffensive joke made at a character's expense actually freaks you out you should probably not be posting in the thread about a kids' cartoon where an old man makes 2 kids go pick up chicks for him. And a pig man wishes for an underaged girl's panties. Or that same girl flashes an old man to get his Ball.

No seriously, it's a small joke that's not played in any serious light and is one of the most Dragon Ball things in the new movies.

I'm the kind that takes this poo poo seriously and honestly I agree with you. Even if it was young-pilaf and a young Pan I still don't think I'd be upset. If you really want to hyper over-analyze it, maybe it's 'cause the Pilaf gang were never really adults to begin with. They were always children in adult bodies. Which is why this gag works so well in the first place.

Like, what's the issue? The pilaf gang doesn't have ANY of the "advantages" that could make something like this hosed up. They're not smarter, they're not more emotionally mature, they're not physically stronger, they don't have societal authority. And Mai's not being exploited as some kind of moe loli bait, either. And there's not even anything happening, it's just Trunks blushing at Mai and thinking she's cute and her getting nervous about it because she doesn't want to get caught being a thief. It feels harmless because it is harmless.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Apr 18, 2015

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Bad Seafood posted:

Hmm, a small child in the middle of the wilderness.

Better shoot it.

Hey this thief just jumped me and my mutant Bodyguard in the desert and tried to rob/murder us, better try to get into his pants.

Hmm, look at this literal nazi aryan super man who I know is trying to kill my friend, better try to get into HIS pants.

drat, girl's got problems.

dogs named Charlie
Apr 5, 2009

by exmarx
The best thing about Trunks is that he is Bulma's son. The second best is that he is Vegeta's son. Third is the time travel.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Dexo posted:

Because those scans were done in like the early 90s. And were probably done from Japanese -> Chinese -> English. or something like that.

They also have comical amounts of swearing.

I said official, not the scanslations. Though maybe the early official releases did go through 3 languages, I kinda believe it.

Hey this thief just jumped me and my mutant Bodyguard in the desert and tried to rob/murder us, better try to get into his pants.

Hmm, look at this literal nazi aryan super man who I know is trying to kill my friend, better try to get into HIS pants.

drat, girl's got problems.

In retrospect Bulma hooking up with Vegeta has a lot of unintentional foreshadowing.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

XboxPants posted:

I'm the kind that takes this poo poo seriously and honestly I agree with you. Even if it was young-pilaf and a young Pan I still don't think I'd be upset. If you really want to hyper over-analyze it, maybe it's 'cause the Pilaf gang were never really adults to begin with. They were always children in adult bodies. Which is why this gag works so well in the first place.

Like, what's the issue? The pilaf gang doesn't have ANY of the "advantages" that could make something like this hosed up. They're not smarter, they're not more emotionally mature, they're not physically stronger, they don't have societal authority. And Mai's not being exploited as some kind of moe loli bait, either. And there's not even anything happening, it's just Trunks blushing at Mai and thinking she's cute and her getting nervous about it because she doesn't want to get caught being a thief. It feels harmless because it is harmless.
It is indeed worth remembering that Pilaf's idea of the darkest torture is blowing kisses and that Things 1 and 2 find this notion equally terrifying.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Rodyle posted:

It is indeed worth remembering that Pilaf's idea of the darkest torture is blowing kisses and that Things 1 and 2 find this notion equally terrifying.

One is a little blue manchild, another is a... woman?child, and the last is a dog...man...puppy thing. They're all kinda idiots, and it's amazing that they managed as well as they did, all things considered.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Roshi's creeping and coming too close to touching sleeping women is real sketchy, but it's maybe 3 pages and quickly over. Mai and Pilaf and dog ninja are Cool Dudes and it's not like she's trying to touch Trunks' kid dick or anything. They just want Dragon Balls.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Goddamn how many minions were on that ship? It's like a clown car.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Are you guys being serious about the animation looking good? Because it just kinda really doesn't. The environmental stuff is pretty good, but the character stuff is atrocious.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
If the animation was good, it wouldn't be dragonball.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Going way back to the very first page: So how was Jaco related to DBZ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Pierson posted:

Going way back to the very first page: So how was Jaco related to DBZ?

prequel series that's also Toriyama's final manga.

• Locked thread