Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I worked for a guy that had one of the first R8s in the UK. I went to his house to check some kit and asked him how he was enjoying it...

"Well I was really loving driving it until it died..."

Turns out one of the chips that controls the engine management system had gone kaput so it was dead. How long did it take them to sort the problem? 8 weeks. Next time I went round he no longer had an R8...

In other news it's midday Saturday and I'm going to the gym to lift weights because I've just booked a holiday mid June and I need to look my best while strutting around in my pink kitten swimming trunks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
Things to do in slow traffic:
http://i.imgur.com/NfddYpT.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/OhF7hEg.gifv

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Made it 20 miles then GDCS. Came around a corner, accelerated and massive cloud of steam in the mirror. loving old cars.

2nd tow in less than 24 hours.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

NitroSpazzz posted:

Made it 20 miles then GDCS. Came around a corner, accelerated and massive cloud of steam in the mirror. loving old cars.

Your cars just have Spring throw-parts-at-it Fever.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

NitroSpazzz posted:

I saw your snap and immediately went "Noooooooo!" :(

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Mat_Drinks posted:

Sometimes I enjoy drinking Rainier beer (Northwest PBR), or I eat cake from a boxed mix. Sometimes it's nice to not have to think hard and just enjoy some light fiction.

Jedi Search Triology is up next, and then I need to pick up the Thrawn trilogy.

While I'm sharing, I also enjoyed the Green Lantern movie with Ryan Reynolds, which I realize is a nearly capital offense. I'm ready for my public stoning AI.
Jedi search is bad. Go straight to Thrawn.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

No, they just had recalls for fire risks. (2015 Chrysler 200 Sedan recall for wiring harness fire risks)

And the Grand Cherokee's vanity mirror lighting it ablaze.

Don't forget the early 90s spate of Grand Cherokee fires caused by a bad grommet on a bundle going through the firewall. I put out at least 5 or 6 of those.

kastein posted:

I think my favorite wiring fire issue has to be the F150 one that burns the truck to the ground, however.

I put out 4 of those, and one was in an attached garage and had started overnight with the residents in the house asleep. It had breached the door of the garage and extended into the attic by the time it was discovered. The garage/truck was OFF when we got there. Ended up venting the roof of the garage while another two crews went through the front door and pushed the fire back through the attic and downstairs hallway to the garage.

That was a fun morning.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

meatpimp posted:

Your cars just have Spring throw-parts-at-it Fever.
Sure seems that way.

T-Square posted:

I saw your snap and immediately went "Noooooooo!" :(
I did the same when I accelerated out of the corner then saw the could behind me.

Friend runs a towing company so he came and picked me up, towed all the way back to the house. He's a BMW and E30 nut so it was a good time. I'm happy it didn't happen on the Tail of the Dragon or other twisty road full of motorcycles. Time to see how good Grundy's towing reimbursement is.

I cursed myself yesterday...

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

And I'm willing to admit that VW makes and has made some garbage, I just get sick of the whole ragging on VWs and Audis.

I like my cars.

Hey man my project car is a 1st gen Kia Sportage, my second pre-Hyundai-era Kia. Hell over half the cars I've owned would be classified as terrible by a sizeable chunk of AI. Having people rip on a car you like every time its name comes up gets irritating, I know all about that. But hey sometimes this hobby takes a sense of humor, thick skin and the knowledge that you're doing it for you and not anyone else- even when you're not the underdog.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

NitroSpazzz posted:

Sure seems that way.

I did the same when I accelerated out of the corner then saw the could behind me.

Friend runs a towing company so he came and picked me up, towed all the way back to the house. He's a BMW and E30 nut so it was a good time. I'm happy it didn't happen on the Tail of the Dragon or other twisty road full of motorcycles. Time to see how good Grundy's towing reimbursement is.

I cursed myself yesterday...

Haha. Its a curse with foreign cars and plastics. My old P38 rover was good at pissing coolant and plastics randomly making GBS threads themselves.

Though to be honest, I had way more issues with my suburban than I ever did with Rovers

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
You know it's going well when you have to break out the 3/4" drive kit to work on a small family hatchback.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
Getting serious about lifting weights and getting into better shape, so I'm starting to track the weights I'm lifting in a spreadsheet so I can see how much stronger I'm getting.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Printed some parts for my Rostock Delta 3D printer on my Makerbot 3D printer last night:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

some texas redneck posted:

Irony: I just noticed that the cable between the router and my desktop is marked as CAT5 (no E) - and it still links at gigabit speeds. :iiam: It's only about a 25 ft cable though.

This is normal, if you were to transfer a large file you'd find the actual transfer speed is (probably) considerably lower than gigabit. You only need CAT-5E/6 if full duplex speed is a requirement or if your runs are near the maximum length .

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

bandman posted:

Getting serious about lifting weights and getting into better shape, so I'm starting to track the weights I'm lifting in a spreadsheet so I can see how much stronger I'm getting.

I really need to lift more. I do a ton of cardio and have pretty good stamina for running, but I just am not a fan of lifting.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CommieGIR posted:

Printed some parts for my Rostock Delta 3D printer on my Makerbot 3D printer last night:

:psyduck:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:17175

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

:psyboom:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
So, just a reminder: today is Record Store Day!

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Undersea posting. The phone signal in the channel tunnel is better than at my house (I'm half way through the tunnel on the train)

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

iwentdoodie posted:

So, just a reminder: today is Record Store Day!

I didn't even have to attend today, one of my friends is an avid collector of vinyl and he grabbed me a copy of this without even asking if I wanted it. He just knew.

What a guy. :allears:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Tomarse posted:

Undersea posting. The phone signal in the channel tunnel is better than at my house (I'm half way through the tunnel on the train)

Probably repeaters in the tunnel.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

88h88 posted:

I didn't even have to attend today, one of my friends is an avid collector of vinyl and he grabbed me a copy of this without even asking if I wanted it. He just knew.

What a guy. :allears:

Awesome.

I hit one store and picked up Radiohead, Flaming Lips and Johnny Cash. Waiting on our other one to open now and see what they have.

Edit: and just got Electric Wizard - Time to Die. 2xLP, clear vinyl, with a poster and digital copy. Awesome.

iwentdoodie fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Apr 18, 2015

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Welp. Just wasted $60 on GTA V. Turns out I do not have a 64 bit system after all.
Oh well, I need an excuse to upgrade, so here we are. Been doing some shopping too. I think it's time for a total new PC build.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

ExplodingSims posted:

Welp. Just wasted $60 on GTA V. Turns out I do not have a 64 bit system after all.
Oh well, I need an excuse to upgrade, so here we are. Been doing some shopping too. I think it's time for a total new PC build.

If you have Windows 7 and your key laying around, you can reinstall Windows 7 64-bit with the same key. It should work fine. Not sure about Windows 8.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

mariooncrack posted:

If you have Windows 7 and your key laying around, you can reinstall Windows 7 64-bit with the same key. It should work fine. Not sure about Windows 8.

True for Vista, too. Probably true for 8, since I think they came with one key and two discs in the box.

If you don't have the key, but bought Windows (i.e. it wasn't preinstalled) you can use Produkey or jellybean keyfinder to pull it out of the registry. If it's an OEM preinstall, there are other methods, but they're more complicated.

Assuming your hardware is capable of 64-bit?

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

mariooncrack posted:

Yeah, the issue is the key is at my parent's house somewhere. I haven't seen that disk for 8 years.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

My dad and mom came over to the house to see the grandkids and I got my dad to help me bolt up the wall mount for my old flat screen. Got everything hooked up and plugged in. When I turned on the power the status led went from red to blue like normal but nothing turned on. No noise, no pop, no sizzle. Just a black screen with no response. The remote is working. I'm really bummed out. The TV worked fine when we last had it up, it's been sitting for about a year and a half in the basement waiting to be something awesome. The bastard of it all is it is probably not worth anything since it seems 42" TVs can be had for less than $300 now.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

T1g4h posted:

We have a Social Club Crew. There's also the AI Steam Group. I'd recommend joining the Social Club crew and friending people, more likely to get matched into freeroam with AI guys that way.

I'm in, bravestulysses

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Somewhat Heroic posted:

My dad and mom came over to the house to see the grandkids and I got my dad to help me bolt up the wall mount for my old flat screen. Got everything hooked up and plugged in. When I turned on the power the status led went from red to blue like normal but nothing turned on. No noise, no pop, no sizzle. Just a black screen with no response. The remote is working. I'm really bummed out. The TV worked fine when we last had it up, it's been sitting for about a year and a half in the basement waiting to be something awesome. The bastard of it all is it is probably not worth anything since it seems 42" TVs can be had for less than $300 now.

I scavenged a nice Samsung flatscreen monitor from the trash pile at work that was doing this (although it was intermittent). After Googling a little bit I found that they used glue on the electronics inside that over time dries out and becomes conductive. Solution - go in there with a plastic scraper type thing and carefully chip all of the lovely glue off of the electronics. I was kind of skeptical, but had nothing to lose except an hour or two, so I did it. It hasn't done it since, and I have the nicest screen of everyone in my office :smugbert:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Yeah I'm not going to scrap it just yet. I'll do some Google work and see what I can come up with. It's about 8 years old, it's an LG model 42LG30 which I'm fairly sure they sold a grip of.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Raluek posted:

True for Vista, too. Probably true for 8, since I think they came with one key and two discs in the box.

If you don't have the key, but bought Windows (i.e. it wasn't preinstalled) you can use Produkey or jellybean keyfinder to pull it out of the registry. If it's an OEM preinstall, there are other methods, but they're more complicated.

Assuming your hardware is capable of 64-bit?

It's capable, but my build is close to 9 years old at this point, and is finally starting to chug under some new games, so I figure it's time to upgrade some of the hardware.
Looks I'm for about $700 build or so. If I can another 9-10 years of a new build, I;ll be happy.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

ExplodingSims posted:

It's capable, but my build is close to 9 years old at this point, and is finally starting to chug under some new games, so I figure it's time to upgrade some of the hardware.
Looks I'm for about $700 build or so. If I can another 9-10 years of a new build, I;ll be happy.

I have a ~3 year old CPU, but just installed a gtx 970 and I'm running GTA V on ultra at 60fps. So it won't take much just don't skimp on the GPU.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

ExplodingSims posted:

If you do a complete rebuild, I'm sure your current system would work well as a HTPC.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

MustardFacial posted:

I have a ~3 year old CPU, but just installed a gtx 970 and I'm running GTA V on ultra at 60fps. So it won't take much just don't skimp on the GPU.

All the new games are more GPU than CPU hungry anyways.

Pro-Tip: It is LEGAL to install Windows with pirated images, so long as your product key is legitimate. That is all Microsoft cares about is a legal key.

And yeah, if you are reinstalling, the most it might make you do is do the phone activation, which is really simple but boring and time consuming.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
saturday night muthafuckazzzzz

https://vine.co/v/Oj3Hve1TXtK

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Phone posted:

saturday night muthafuckazzzzz

https://vine.co/v/Oj3Hve1TXtK

lol

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I just ate the hottest of hot chicken a couple hours ago and now my body is in revolt.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I got out of the gym and my Outback failed to turnover. Twice.

Cars with ~11k miles aren't supposed to do that are they? :ohdear:

On the plus side, I was able to install a new head unit in a car yesterday. I know it's not super difficult but it was the first time doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I just left a car meet that could have been plucked from the 90's it was so bad.
And then some assholes got into a fight and one of them had a gun tucked in his belt so I said gently caress this and bailed. Passed 6 cops heading that direction on my way home.

• Locked thread