Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Isn't a Girl who Walks home alone at night supposed to be up today?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Darthemed posted:

The Principal, The Substitute, Stand and Deliver, High School High, Only The Strong.

Thank you for recommending something! I ended up watching The Twilight Samurai on UK/Irish netflix. It sort of satisfied my itch, but not by much.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

NESguerilla posted:

Isn't a Girl who Walks home alone at night supposed to be up today?

Is that streaming? They had a screening at my campus but I missed it.

e: I'm finding that it's April 21.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Chichevache posted:

Thank you for recommending something! I ended up watching The Twilight Samurai on UK/Irish netflix. It sort of satisfied my itch, but not by much.

Not sure if it's available to stream but The Guest is exactly what you're after

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Allyn posted:

Thanks! Sounds like something I would be looking for. Unfortunately it isn't on US Netflix, and for some reason moreflicks.com isn't showing it when I search the title. I will have to go through a few of the foreign netflix the old fashioned way later.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Darthemed posted:

The Principal, The Substitute, Stand and Deliver, High School High, Only The Strong.

This movie is so cheesy and good.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

This movie is so cheesy and good.

Looked it up, saw "capoeira" and started laughing. Then I saw who the star of the film is.

Watching this now.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Anybody with Netflix UK watched that Victor Bout documentary?

Richslode
May 2, 2013
So I just put myself though Starry Eyes. That film totally shits the bed towards the end. I was really liking the sinister build up but as soon as the body horror started I went massively off it. With all that build up I was really expecting a much better ending then the campy one that was given.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Allyn posted:

The Guest is one of my favorite movies from 2014. Someone described it as a cross of Halloween, Terminator, and Drive. While Drive is a stretch, you can see the influences of the other two. I loved that loving movie.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Anybody with Netflix UK watched that Victor Bout documentary?

i had to google this cuz i was like "i know that name" and oh poo poo, it's the guy Lord of War was based on right? i wanna watch that.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Chichevache posted:

Looked it up, saw "capoeira" and started laughing. Then I saw who the star of the film is.

Watching this now.

I saw it in the theater specifically because of who the star was.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i had to google this cuz i was like "i know that name" and oh poo poo, it's the guy Lord of War was based on right? i wanna watch that.

Bout's an interesting guy, and reading about his life is like a world tour of 80's and 90's geopolitics.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
So The Babadook wasn't entirely what I was expecting, but more importantly, how did I know exactly what the "pterodactyl" stock sound effect was?! Is it actually the same sound effect reused in 800 billion movies or is there some simple audio technique that happens to create it?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

david_a posted:

So The Babadook wasn't entirely what I was expecting, but more importantly, how did I know exactly what the "pterodactyl" stock sound effect was?! Is it actually the same sound effect reused in 800 billion movies or is there some simple audio technique that happens to create it?

That sound effect is in Doom for gently caress's sake. It's probably on every royalty free sound effects CD.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That sound effect is in Doom for gently caress's sake. It's probably on every royalty free sound effects CD.
:goonsay: I've been playing that game for literally decades and it is definitely not in there (it may be in Duke Nukem 3D). I'm sure it's in every sound effects library by now, but it had to have come from somewhere. I thought maybe it was Rodan, but that's not quite it from the clips I've found.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Might be Duke 3D. I could swear that pterodactyl noise was used for an imp scream.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

My first thought when I heard that sound was Doom. I don't think I ever played Duke 3D. Maybe it was Doom II?

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
I was thinking imps from Doom also. Otherwise, loved the movie.

The stock "poo poo lighting on fire" noise will also in my mind always be the sound of things coming out of the demon head at the end on Doom II.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
One of the imp wakeup sounds is similar (15 seconds in if the url doesn't work), but not the same. The one I'm thinking of is higher pitched and more... dinosaury.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
The sound is in X-COM: UFO Defense, at least.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I am so bad at recognizing noises but I think in The Babadook's case that might've worked in my favor considering all the negative reactions about that effect. I thought it did a good job with everything else of being spooky and overwhelming!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

nate fisher posted:

The Guest is one of my favorite movies from 2014. Someone described it as a cross of Halloween, Terminator, and Drive. While Drive is a stretch, you can see the influences of the other two. I loved that loving movie.

Synth-heavy soundtrack, lighting heavy on bright neon colors, emotionless killer protagonist... The Guest and Drive aren't super similar but I can definitely see the comparison

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Hat Thoughts posted:

I am so bad at recognizing noises but I think in The Babadook's case that might've worked in my favor considering all the negative reactions about that effect. I thought it did a good job with everything else of being spooky and overwhelming!

I liked the movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

TychoCelchuuu posted:

The sound is in X-COM: UFO Defense, at least.

That might be it. Sectoid death?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I kind of want to see a Director's Cut of The Babadook that does nothing but remove or replace that one sound effect, and see how people's reactions change.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I kind of want to see a Director's Cut of The Babadook that does nothing but remove or replace that one sound effect, and see how people's reactions change.

The director's cut unfortunately replaces the effect with an exuberant "Yoshi!"

Seriously though it's one bad sound effect in an incredible film. The reaction does seem a little exaggerated at this point.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I don't think it hurt the film much, but it seemed a bit incongruous. I probably should have brought up the origins of the sound in a different thread.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Synth-heavy soundtrack, lighting heavy on bright neon colors, emotionless killer protagonist... The Guest and Drive aren't super similar but I can definitely see the comparison

Driver is not emotionless.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Chichevache posted:

It absolutely is in moments. The opening scene is Gosling exhibiting no emotion, only stoic and precise execution of skill. It's just that later on he slowly and subtly begins showing emotion. Which is why it's a great performance. Gosling has a great grasp of restraint in most of his roles.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

precision posted:

It absolutely is in moments. The opening scene is Gosling exhibiting no emotion, only stoic and precise execution of skill. It's just that later on he slowly and subtly begins showing emotion. Which is why it's a great performance. Gosling has a great grasp of restraint in most of his roles.

Stoicism and emotionless are two different things. Being stoic is suppressing and hiding emotions (or the philosophical poo poo too). Being emotionless is to not have those emotions. You might as well assume he doesn't have a penis either, since Driver didn't actually pull it out and dangle it in front of the camera.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Chichevache posted:

Stoicism and emotionless are two different things. Being stoic is suppressing and hiding emotions (or the philosophical poo poo too). Being emotionless is to not have those emotions. You might as well assume he doesn't have a penis either, since Driver didn't actually pull it out and dangle it in front of the camera.

That is actually a good point. The Driver doesn't have a penis.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

mr.capps posted:

That is actually a good point. The Driver doesn't have a penis.

edit

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Yeah, don't get me wrong here. The movie was great and it was a transient "hey, it's that sound effect" moment.

I was just watching a Korean film and I had the same problem. They use that terrible stock "clay pot smashing" noise that I am pretty sure is from the first Diablo. It is definitely in several of the Dynasty Warriors games. It shouldn't be a big deal, but every loving time it happened (a lot) it kinda of jerked me out of the movie for a second. It probably shouldn't be a huge deal, but it does help illustrate the value of a good foley artist.

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 18, 2015

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I liked the movie.
Yeah, don't get me wrong here. The movie was great and it was a transient "hey, it's that sound effect" moment.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Chichevache posted:

I said the film had an emotionless scene, not that The Driver didn't have emotions. I explicitly said the opposite of that. :psyduck:

e: oh, your original post said "Driver is not emotionless", not "Drive is not emotionless". :shrug:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Chichevache posted:

There is literally one scene in the entire movie where he shows any kind of strong emotion. Throughout the rest, Gosling's performance is very deliberately flat and unemotional, almost like he's putting up a mental wall that gets a hole smashed through it for that scene.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

LORD OF BUTT posted:

There is literally one scene in the entire movie where he shows any kind of strong emotion. Throughout the rest, Gosling's performance is very deliberately flat and unemotional, almost like he's putting up a mental wall that gets a hole smashed through it for that scene.

having just rewatched it recently, i can think of at least three: losing his composure at Blanche in the motel room, offering Irene the money from the heist, and completely blowing up at Shannon. which one were you referring to?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Blowing up at Shannon was the one I was thinking of. In the other two, he's still at least trying to maintain his Clint Eastwood facade, it's just cracking a little; in that scene he's loving unhinged though.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

having just rewatched it recently, i can think of at least three: losing his composure at Blanche in the motel room, offering Irene the money from the heist, and completely blowing up at Shannon. which one were you referring to?

I think what this most refers to is his interactions with Irene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Blowing up at Shannon was the one I was thinking of. In the other two, he's still at least trying to maintain his Clint Eastwood facade, it's just cracking a little; in that scene he's loving unhinged though.

yeah this is fair.

i also think the remarkably weird way he takes revenge on Ron Perlman is definite evidence of someone who feels emotions strongly, albeit in a less conventional way than most.