Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
My school served chicken rings, which is like an onion ring, but chicken. They were apparently popular, but I never tried them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I never actually thought our school lunches were especially bad, but I guess I mostly remember high school. Come to think of it a lot of teachers actually ate the cafeteria food too.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
My Jr. High served turkey sandwiches where the turkey was sometimes all gristle and collagen. It's left me reflexively assuming anything to improve school lunches is a good thing.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

I never actually thought our school lunches were especially bad, but I guess I mostly remember high school. Come to think of it a lot of teachers actually ate the cafeteria food too.

thats cause teachers are poor though.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Accretionist posted:

My Jr. High served turkey sandwiches where the turkey was sometimes all gristle and collagen. It's left me reflexively assuming anything to improve school lunches is a good thing.

So here's what the latest trickery is. Schools that participate in the National School Lunch Program get extremely cheap or free agricultural surplus, but they can't do anything with it because they don't have the resources to actually cook anything. So Food Company X comes along and says "sell us your surplus and we'll sell you processed foods!" and so they sell the food to Aramark, who sells it to Tyson, who provide nutritional garbage in return at a 300% markup.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2011/12/04/opinion/sunday/school-lunches-and-the-food-industry.html?referrer=

quote:

The Agriculture Department doesn’t track spending to process the food, but school authorities do. The Michigan Department of Education, for example, gets free raw chicken worth $11.40 a case and sends it for processing into nuggets at $33.45 a case. The schools in San Bernardino, Calif., spend $14.75 to make French fries out of $5.95 worth of potatoes.

The money is ill spent. The Center for Science in the Public Interest has warned that sending food to be processed often means lower nutritional value and noted that “many schools continue to exceed the standards for fat, saturated fat and sodium.” A 2008 study by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation found that by the time many healthier commodities reach students, “they have about the same nutritional value as junk foods.”

The schools actually sell all their cooking equipment so they can load up on junk like this.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Luigi Thirty posted:

So here's what the latest trickery is. Schools that participate in the National School Lunch Program get extremely cheap or free agricultural surplus, but they can't do anything with it because they don't have the resources to actually cook anything. So Food Company X comes along and says "sell us your surplus and we'll sell you processed foods!" and so they sell the food to Aramark, who sells it to Tyson, who provide nutritional garbage in return at a 300% markup.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2011/12/04/opinion/sunday/school-lunches-and-the-food-industry.html?referrer=

The schools actually sell all their cooking equipment so they can load up on junk like this.

"give a man a fish he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish he'll eat forever"

"nah, how about I give you all my raw fish so you can make fishsticks out of them and sell them back at 3x the price. I learned how to fish, but not how to cook, so I'm gonna have to sell my fishing gear to buy more cooked fish. i'm intelligent and have good planning skills"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Why am I not surprised that yet another corporation has found an easy way to make crazy markup off of the taxpayer's dime.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

FlamingLiberal posted:

Why am I not surprised that yet another corporation has found an easy way to make crazy markup off of the taxpayer's dime.

I am occasionally accused of being virulently anti corporate to a fault but I'm not sure why having a base standard of "does this organization benefit society" is such a high bar to pass.

But then we get into that nonsense about government picking winners and losers and the market's divine right to have an uneven playing field.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
It's so easy to criticize Obama. Through trying to improve school lunches and the American healthcare system, two of the worst things in existence, he has taken ownership of everything that goes wrong with either

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Luigi Thirty posted:

That's a great article. It explains the kickbacks from food giants like Sodexo to the food management companies contracted by the districts, but it doesn't explain why the management companies get hired in the first place, then increase costs. Either districts are really bad at crunching numbers, they're just that invested in destroying unions or there's a lot of corruption going on. Probably all three.

I hear Sodexo sponsoring NPR programs all the time, polishing their image. They should be required to purchase ad time and say "we had to settle for $20 million with the state of NY because we paid kickbacks in a scheme to make school lunches unhealthy for profit."

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Like school lunches being boring and/or bad is a new trend or something. This faux outrage is debilitating and I don't even watch it at the source. What's it like to watch foxnews and read WND/breitbart all day? Are we seeing a rise in blood pressure levels amongst old white males over the past seven years?

Brannock posted:

Unless I'm missing something, the article doesn't say what food this is actually supposed to be.

Yeah, I read the whole drat thing and never figured out what was under the roll.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Sir Tonk posted:

Like school lunches being boring and/or bad is a new trend or something. This faux outrage is debilitating and I don't even watch it at the source. What's it like to watch foxnews and read WND/breitbart all day? Are we seeing a rise in blood pressure levels amongst old white males over the past seven years?

I loving hope so. :v:

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

How is it that, "I want to impliment a program that saves our local school board money, creates a number of skilled cook and kitchen positions for local residents, and improves the quality and nutrition of food for our children" is not a walk-off homerun domestic policy proposal?

Wasn't Jamie Oliver all over improving school lunches*? This kind of proposal can't sell even with a sexy, British spokesman spearheading it?

*Though I believe he has ironically launched a line of processed premade dinners through Sobeys. :shrug:

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Where the gently caress did rectangle pizza go? That poo poo was amazing, and now it also fulfills all my vegetable requirements :colbert:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

PhilippAchtel posted:

How is it that, "I want to impliment a program that saves our local school board money, creates a number of skilled cook and kitchen positions for local residents, and improves the quality and nutrition of food for our children" is not a walk-off homerun domestic policy proposal?

When it's a Democrat proposing it.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Logikv9 posted:

Where the gently caress did rectangle pizza go? That poo poo was amazing, and now it also fulfills all my vegetable requirements :colbert:

That pizza was okay, but in my school you literally had to pad it down with four or five napkins to absorb the 1/8 inch oily reservoir floating on every slice. And it only came in cheese or pepperoni.

Probably not all that nutritious honestly.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Sir Tonk posted:

Except the new lunch rollout was hilariously bad and failed for completely predictable reasons. Let's make it "healthier" except not really because no one is going to eat the garbage. Like it's a great idea, healthier lunches are really good. But you're a loving idiot if you think you can have healthy tasty lunches for the same price as a pizza and fries.

It's weird to bring fox into this, the primary driver of this is the kids taking pictures of disgusting poo poo.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

tsa posted:

Except the new lunch rollout was hilariously bad and failed for completely predictable reasons. Let's make it "healthier" except not really because no one is going to eat the garbage. Like it's a great idea, healthier lunches are really good. But you're a loving idiot if you think you can have healthy tasty lunches for the same price as a pizza and fries.

It's weird to bring fox into this, the primary driver of this is the kids taking pictures of disgusting poo poo.

In the old days, lunch ladies would make poo poo from scratch. They used to can poo poo, preserve it and serve it. You used to be able to bring your own knife to school to use at lunch.

Now? Thanks, Obama, for that poo poo pizza rectangle, full of all my daily serving's vegetable content.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

has anyone suggested replacing school lunches with vitamin pills yet

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
In case anyone is wondering about pizza being a vegetable.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

My Imaginary GF posted:

In the old days, lunch ladies would make poo poo from scratch. They used to can poo poo, preserve it and serve it. You used to be able to bring your own knife to school to use at lunch.

Now? Thanks, Obama, for that poo poo pizza rectangle, full of all my daily serving's vegetable content.

Why the hell do we have to give children a cookie that's almost the size of their pizza?

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

AriadneThread posted:

has anyone suggested replacing school lunches with vitamin pills yet

It's the perfect wedge issue to split the Soylent-slurping internet libertarians from their "eat the poor children" Republican allies. I like it.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Free soylent or let the kids buy what they want.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

My Imaginary GF posted:

What old days? I'm over 30 (i.e. I went to school well before Obummer took over) and I certainly never experienced this school lunch utopia you speak of.

Or am I missing :thejoke:?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Amergin posted:

Why the hell do we have to give children a cookie that's almost the size of their pizza?

Because people lose their poo poo over that:

http://chronicle.northcoastnow.com/2014/08/21/elyria%E2%80%88students-lose-pink-cookie/

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I wish they had pushed for healthier school lunches when I was in school. Pretty much all of my terrible eating habits were developed in high school. We had not only a room packed full of soda/candy vending machines, but they had some sort of extracurricular student-run candy store where you could just stock up on cheap candy. It's no wonder I felt tired and lovely all throughout highschool when I was running on pretty much nothing but Coke, candy, pizza, and Bosco Sticks.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

PhilippAchtel posted:

What old days? I'm over 30 (i.e. I went to school well before Obummer took over) and I certainly never experienced this school lunch utopia you speak of.

Or am I missing :thejoke:?

Those aren't old days, those are young. Old days, back when JFK went all the way, when Roosevelt was still a good man.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

So yet another case of people blaming President Oh-Brother for something dumb that actually originated with Republican congressmen.

2008to2016.txt, really.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

My Imaginary GF posted:

Those aren't old days, those are young. Old days, back when JFK went all the way back and to the left, when Roosevelt was still a good man.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

My Imaginary GF posted:

Those aren't old days, those are young. Old days, back when JFK went all the way, when Roosevelt was still a good man.

So if things were actually better 70 years ago, what does that have to do with Obama? He probably ate that same rectangle pizza when he was a kid.

Or he would have if he wasn't raised in Indonesia. :supaburn:

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

First day in public school in California, we were poor as poo poo and hadn't done thr paperwork for free lunch yet. I had a bag of top Ramen for lunch. I'd crunch up the noodles a bit then dump the packet into the bag and eat it kinda like chips.

Lunch lady came by and felt pity for me. Took my half eaten bag and cooked it. She gave me back the saddest bowl of un-pickupable 1/2" noodles.

Moral is, when there's no food at home, school lunch looks pretty drat ok, tyvm

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The main thing I remember about my elementary school cafeteria is that the administration wouldn't let us go inside the building before classes started, even in the cold of winter, but the lunch ladies would disobey them and let us in to the cafeteria so we could be warm. I never figured out what the gently caress, but I was grateful to them.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 18, 2015

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Ron Jeremy posted:

First day in public school in California, we were poor as poo poo and hadn't done thr paperwork for free lunch yet. I had a bag of top Ramen for lunch. I'd crunch up the noodles a bit then dump the packet into the bag and eat it kinda like chips.

Lunch lady came by and felt pity for me. Took my half eaten bag and cooked it. She gave me back the saddest bowl of un-pickupable 1/2" noodles.

I had money for food but I did this as a snack. It was the tastiest and saltiest thing ever when I was a kid.

Then I tried that when I got older and it was disgusting. developing tastebuds :argh:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

tsa posted:

FoxNews and the rest of the outrage machine has been bitching about this since the First Lady started talking about it. Much like their response to her pushing water, Groucho had it right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtMV44yoXZ0

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
My HS was right next to a grocery store and campus patrol would usually be cool about letting people leave campus to pick up something from the bakery/deli counter provided you were known to come back.

Also the break cart would sell chocolate muffins which were amazing for breakfast.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

My Imaginary GF posted:

So back when the US had a third the population it does now and there were still farmers?

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Sir Tonk posted:

So back when the US had a third the population it does now

Thanks to Obama's immigration policy.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sir Tonk posted:

So back when the US had a third the population it does now and there were still farmers?

Uh, you think raw number of farmers has anything to do at all with food quality?

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Ron Jeremy posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Amergin posted:

Thanks to Obama's immigration policy.

Reagan was the one that actually gave amnesty to immigrants.

• Locked thread