Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

ESPN really needs to hire more ANY fat women for reporting equality and also to keep people like Ms. Thang Britt McHenry in check.

Bring back the Fabulous Sports Babe!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton

Mahoning posted:

One is a seemingly decent human being who told the truth about a lovely human being, which is of course his job. This doesn't really reflect very poorly on ESPN as a whole, at least to the general public. The other was just being a lovely awful human being, which of course makes ESPN look VERY bad to the general public. At least temporarily.

No one is going to care or remember in a week anyway. More than likely she is going to become the patron saint of those who have been towed.

And no they will not hire fat chicks because of this. They can be annoying cunts too.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Britt McHenry did something pretty stupid but there's a lot of weird sexism ITT for some reason?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

WayAbvPar posted:

So Simmons gets three weeks for calling Roger Goodell a liar (which, of course, he is), and this sociopath gets a week. I guess no one at ESPN is currently loving Simmons.

On the other hand, Simmons suspension was related to his job. I understand why ESPN suspended her, but it's kind of weird to get suspended from your job for being an rear end in a top hat in your private life.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Niwrad posted:

:lol: What a piece of poo poo.

If you have never dealt with Advance Towing here in Northern Virginia I envy you. This is a towing company that towed a legally parked car with kids in it a few weeks ago and when called on out on it said "well uh the windows are tinted." They are absolute scum and from what I've seen in DC people are on her side. There's a movement getting started to get them debarred from working with the local government, they're that horrible.

http://www.arlnow.com/2015/04/16/video-espn-reporter-berates-advanced-towing-employee/

and here we see that in a poll of Arlington residents 84% say that Advance Towing "are predators" plus around 350 comments telling stories of how people have been screwed by them. Stories include tales of cars being intentionally damaged, excessive speeding, property theft and cover-up (stealing parking permits so a tow appears legal).

http://www.arlnow.com/2015/04/06/morning-poll-doing-their-job-or-preying-on-you/

and

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Arlington-Tow-Truck-Driver-Hooks-Car-With-Children-Inside-298537061.html

quote:

An Arlington father says his car -- and two children -- were nearly towed away during a recent trip to a local CVS, but the company that hooked his vehicle says their driver didn't see the children initially.

Max Daout said his 7-year-old son was suffering from a bad cold Friday. Daout went into the CVS on Columbia Pike to speak to the pharmacist and get medicine. Outside in the car, his 17-year-old stepdaughter Triysi kept her little brother occupied until both felt a jolt.

"The car started to lift up," young Max said, raising his hands skyward. "I was like scared. I looked out the back and then saw the tow driver and then I opened the door a little bit and said, 'Wait, wait wait.'"

An Advanced Towing driver had hooked their car. Max's shouts stopped him cold.

"When I started crying he said, 'I'm sorry for freaking you out,'" said Max.

The tow truck was driving off as Daout walked out of the CVS and found his son crying in the car.

"I was ticked off. I was very upset. I got right on the phone to the tow company," said Daout. "I would like them to be held accountable for the predatory practices that they are implementing by towing cars that are there legally parked."

Advanced Towing's owner promised to follow up, but he hasn't heard back, Daout said.

It's the second complaint against Advanced Towing that News4 has reported in recent months. In December, a woman's car was towed to the impound lot with her dog still inside.

Advanced Towing's owner sent News4 a statement about the latest incident. John O'Neill claims the car was illegally parked because its owner walked off site before returning to the CVS. He wrote in an email: "The vehicle had tinted windows, however, before removing the vehicle from its parking space, occupants were noticed and the vehicle was never moved from its space."

O'Neill also sent a link to a story about a Delaware daycare provider who was charged when she left a 5-year-old and a 1-year-old alone in a car that was towed.

Advance Towing are not a poor little company getting abused by a powerful media star. They're a shady as hell corrupt company getting abused by a powerful media star.

axeil fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 17, 2015

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Them being a lovely company doesn't justify the deplorable things she said to that woman. A college degree isn't a ticket to look down upon other people.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Oh yeah, I forgot that lovely companies being lovely gives you a free pass to treat their employees like poo poo and hurl verbal insults at them.

Excuse me while I head to Wal Mart to call the greeter a wrinkly old ugly gently caress with fake teeth and saggy old bitch tits.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

hcreight posted:

Them being a lovely company doesn't justify the deplorable things she said to that woman. A college degree isn't a ticket to look down upon other people.

Bingo. My Facebook is full of attempted justifiable poorshaming.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
She was real lovely but I'm not at all comfortable with the idea that corporations should get to discipline you for your behavior in private life. I think her level of evil is on the other side of the line for me from rape/domestic abuse.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

hcreight posted:

the company leaking the video is pretty messed up too given their track record.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...
Them being a bad company doesn't justify her acting like human garbage.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

hcreight posted:

I hate that poo poo. I have a friend who has two groups he socializes with - ours (fortysomethings) and the other who are all mid twenties to early thirties. The last time he had a gathering that included both groups, one of the younger girls said rather loudly that "people who have college degrees are just better people than those that don't."

Yeah, that didn't go over well.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Mornacale posted:

She was real lovely but I'm not at all comfortable with the idea that corporations should get to discipline you for your behavior in private life. I think her level of evil is on the other side of the line for me from rape/domestic abuse.

I'd be willing to be there are clauses about outward facing behavior unbecoming of an employee over at ESPN.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Also in public you are expected to be a representative of your employer. It's been this way for decades, if you do something publicly embarrassing it reflects poorly on your employer.

It's just that there's far more outlets for embarrassment to become public now.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Robnoxious posted:

ESPN really needs to hire more ANY fat women for reporting equality and also to keep people like Ms. Thang Britt McHenry in check.

Bring back the Fabulous Sports Babe!

Holly Rowe

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

Niwrad posted:

On the other hand, Simmons suspension was related to his job. I understand why ESPN suspended her, but it's kind of weird to get suspended from your job for being an rear end in a top hat in your private life.

When your job is being on TV, the rules are slightly different than when your job is installing cable. Especially when you lord your job over the lesser people like a narcissistic shithead.

Even then, I guarantee you that there are many employers who would discipline or even terminate employees with more private jobs if they were publicly exposed this way.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

soggybagel posted:

I'd be willing to be there are clauses about outward facing behavior unbecoming of an employee over at ESPN.

Blast Fantasto posted:

Also in public you are expected to be a representative of your employer. It's been this way for decades, if you do something publicly embarrassing it reflects poorly on your employer.

It's just that there's far more outlets for embarrassment to become public now.

Yes, these are the bad things that I don't like.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Mornacale posted:

While that's unfortunate, it's not changing any time soon and also you can usually avoid it by not being a total rear end in a top hat.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Mornacale posted:

So employers should have no recourse for their lovely employees embarrassing the company and possibly harming their reputation?

midwat
May 6, 2007

Mahoning posted:

So employers should have no recourse for their lovely employees embarrassing the company and possibly harming their reputation?

Employers being able to arbitrarily decide when an employee "embarrasses" them - or feeling they have any ownership over private actions - is a problem, yes.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton

midwat posted:

Employers being able to arbitrarily decide when an employee "embarrasses" them - or feeling they have any ownership over private actions - is a problem, yes.

Hypothetical employee can sue for wrongful termination.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Parlett316 posted:

Hypothetical employee can sue for wrongful termination.

They could. And in most states they would lose.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Mahoning posted:

They could. And in most states they would lose.

Well that sucks for them. Anyway, Ms. McHenry isn't going to lose her job, she might get regulated to a hockey or baseball game which is a shame since she was getting scoops are Redskin games.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I forgot about the time that company towed a Jimmy John's driver when he stopped to make a delivery.

Their employees, all of them, should be berated openly and pelted with rotten fruit.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mahoning posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot that lovely companies being lovely gives you a free pass to treat their employees like poo poo and hurl verbal insults at them.

Excuse me while I head to Wal Mart to call the greeter a wrinkly old ugly gently caress with fake teeth and saggy old bitch tits.

I'm not trying to be glib but do we know why she was being towed? I mean if a tow company has a history of towing people for literal nothing just to wring money out, and if she was a victim of that, it's more like 'it's kinda a dick move to call a greeter a wrinkled sack of poo poo just because they work for a company that has a history of stealing from customers and they had their hand in the person who got pissed's pockets' isn't it? Like, I don't think anyone's saying she's not a bitch, but if she was getting hosed by some scumbag company running straight up scams on people...kinda hard to give too much of a poo poo about her being a bitch.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Tatum Girlparts posted:

if she was getting hosed by some scumbag company running straight up scams on people

http://www.arlnow.com/2011/07/21/favola-vote-on-towing-coincided-with-2500-donation/

where I come from, we call this shady as all hell

so yes

I've lived in Northern VA for five years and not once has my car ever gone into Arlington because Advanced will tow you for no particular reason. Or almost crash into you while they're darting to tow someone.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I am currently working on taking down a scummy, scammy as poo poo tow company in the SF Bay Area and I can tell you that if you just tow for whatever, at least in California, your whole operation can get shut down.

Also most tow companies are cool as heck. Pay your parking tickets and don't park where you shouldn't.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I'm not trying to be glib but do we know why she was being towed? I mean if a tow company has a history of towing people for literal nothing just to wring money out, and if she was a victim of that, it's more like 'it's kinda a dick move to call a greeter a wrinkled sack of poo poo just because they work for a company that has a history of stealing from customers and they had their hand in the person who got pissed's pockets' isn't it? Like, I don't think anyone's saying she's not a bitch, but if she was getting hosed by some scumbag company running straight up scams on people...kinda hard to give too much of a poo poo about her being a bitch.
I heard on the radio that the towing company claims she returned to the lot hours after it closed, implying she was a walkoff and not just parking for the restaurant. I have no idea if that's true, though; if it is, I'm not sure they're in the wrong in this case (though I'm certainly not surprised that they have other less sympathetic cases of predatory towing).

She definitely came off poorly in that video and should be embarrassed by it, but I'm also not surprised that someone in that situation would behave an ugly way that they normally wouldn't behave like. It's stressful, she was super lovely, I don't mind seeing her criticized but I feel like people are being weirdly unsympathetic in a situation where if they were in her shoes, they'd be pretty pissy and might be ruder than normal.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Mahoning posted:

Employers should not have any power over employees that doesn't flow from the employees as a group (or their elected managers). It is sometimes the lesser of two evils for employers, while they still have this power, to use it to punish criminals that our lovely justice system will not, such as rapists and abusers. Punishing employees for bigotry straddles the line--it's good to punish bigots but it's much less effective coming from a hierarchical source--and I honestly don't know where I fall on punishing classism and fatphobia in this context. But it definitely is not acceptable for it to come from a place of "preventing embarrassment to the company" and if ESPN wanted to credibly fight for poor or overweight people then a one-week suspension for a low-level employee doesn't begin to cut it.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Mornacale posted:

Employers should not have any power over employees that doesn't flow from the employees as a group (or their elected managers). It is sometimes the lesser of two evils for employers, while they still have this power, to use it to punish criminals that our lovely justice system will not, such as rapists and abusers. Punishing employees for bigotry straddles the line--it's good to punish bigots but it's much less effective coming from a hierarchical source--and I honestly don't know where I fall on punishing classism and fatphobia in this context. But it definitely is not acceptable for it to come from a place of "preventing embarrassment to the company" and if ESPN wanted to credibly fight for poor or overweight people then a one-week suspension for a low-level employee doesn't begin to cut it.

Yeah, I agree with this (other than the "low level employee" part; an on-air talent is pretty high level for a media company). While I understand why ESPN suspended her - their hand is forced because of PR reasons - I'm still a little uncomfortable with a company punishing an employee for any act or behaviour that happens outside of their duties as an employee. The line is a bit muddied by the fact that whateverhernameis is a public face of the company, but she was acting as a representative of herself in this incident, not as a representative of ESPN. Should public representatives of a company be beholden to a higher standard in their personal lives and thus be subjected to punishment if they do something stupid in their private lives? I don't know, but I'd generally lean towards them having the same leeway as the rest of us normal employees and not expect to be suspended from work because we were rude to a service employee (which we all have been at some point).

Then again, it's probably easiest just to say "haha, stupid oval office, got what she deserved, gently caress you!"

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Why does the tow company reputation matter? The comments were entirely based on the employees education level and appearance, barely anything was said about the company policies.

Also, how dumb do you have to be to say all that after being told you were being recorded.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Lockback posted:

Why does the tow company reputation matter? The comments were entirely based on the employees education level and appearance, barely anything was said about the company policies.

Also, how dumb do you have to be to say all that after being told you were being recorded.

We also very conveniently don't have what the employee was saying. Having dealt with this particular woman before she's a vile human being and was probably being antagonistic.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
If she didn't want to get in trouble with her employer maybe she shouldn't have brought up her employer in a 'I'm better than you cause I'm on TV' manner?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

A Typical Goon posted:

If she didn't want to get in trouble with her employer maybe she shouldn't have brought up her employer in a 'I'm better than you cause I'm on TV' manner?

nah the company is bad so she should be able to lord her television work over the guy making minimum wage

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I'm still against the towing company until someone shows me an unedited video.

Given all the local chatter about how Gina the Cashier is a major pain in the rear end, I'm pretty sure this was provoked. The company has been in the news a lot lately for being...terrible in every way.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Sash! posted:

I'm still against the towing company until someone shows me an unedited video.

Given all the local chatter about how Gina the Cashier is a major pain in the rear end, I'm pretty sure this was provoked. The company has been in the news a lot lately for being...terrible in every way.

There can be more than one lovely human being allowed in a situation hth

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Spoeank posted:

There can be more than one lovely human being allowed in a situation hth

Uh, yeah, I pointed that out myself a long time ago.

But I want Advanced's ability to be extort a fee for stealing people's cars to be eliminated, so anyone that openly mocks their employees is fine with me

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Yes, that's how to eliminate harmful business practices: make fun of individual employees for being fat and poor.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I can't read nevermind :ughh:

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Apr 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Mornacale posted:

Yes, that's how to eliminate harmful business practices: make fun of individual employees for being fat and poor.

Again, since we don't have the unedited video what's to say the reason she went in with the personal insults is because the employee opened with them?

Again, I have personally met the employee in question and she is a foul and miserable human being who called me a deadbeat for legally parking my car. So it wouldn't surprise me at all that this is all fake.