Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FCKGW
May 21, 2006

If anyone can tell me how to read my water bill that would be great because I have no loving clue.

EDIT: Apparently an HCF is 748 gallons, so I used 14212 gallons last billing period. Cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

In more positive news, thanks to the Inland Empire, California is now the largest producer of solar energy, more then the other 49 states combined.

quote:

Boosted by the start-up of three large solar projects in Riverside and San Bernardino counties, California last year received more than 5 percent of its electricity from the sun, leaving the rest of country far behind in solar-power production.

California’s energy from its larger solar plants totaled more than all 49 other states combined, according to a report by the U.S. Energy Information Administration.

It was welcome news to state energy officials, though it was tempered by the report’s mention of drought-related declines in California’s production of hydroelectric power from its dams and reservoirs.

Still, the solar achievement is remarkable, said David Hochschild, a member of the California Energy Commission.

“I am pleased with where we are and I think we can improve on it quite a bit,” he said by telephone.

In the Inland deserts, three of the world’s largest solar plants began supplying power to the grid in late 2013 and early last year. These and other new projects added up to 62 percent increases in the state’s production for larger solar plants, according to the federal report.

All three plants were built on public land and were heavily subsidized by the Obama administration through a combination of tax credits and loan guarantees.

Neat.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I live in a 28 unit apartment complex with little landscaping and tell people with single family homes who say I'm wasting the 5 gallons it takes to wash my car every two weeks to suck my parched penis.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

nm posted:

The bay area gets water out of the sacramento san joaquin delta which is valley water.
With the exception of the north bay, virtually all of the bay's water would either go into the sacramento or san joaquim rivers if it wasn't diverted.

(non-ironic) Thanks for the correction. I thought the Peninsula's water was all coming down from the Hetch Hetchy.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

(non-ironic) Thanks for the correction. I thought the Peninsula's water was all coming down from the Hetch Hetchy.

Isn't that the same thing? Hetch Hetchy water would flow into the San Joaquin were it not dammed and aquaducted to san Francisco.

There was a mention on forum thr other day about taking that same water lower down, allowing Hetch Hetchy to he restored.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
You driveway car washers should check with your county because San Mateo is offering incentives to use car wash stations. Right now it's 50% off at several local places (like Ducky's if you know that chain). My street drains go right in the Bay so I either have to buy a special soap or go to a place.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Ron Jeremy posted:

There was a mention on forum thr other day about taking that same water lower down, allowing Hetch Hetchy to he restored.

Glad I messed that segment of Forum, I hate that type of poo poo. Hetch hetchy is never getting restored (in our lifetime). Also Hetch Hetchy is really a system of 6 dams--one is inoperable, a couple used for power generation, and two/three are stored but not really used, for supply at the moment--this is likely to change since SFPUC just put out some work to fix up Early Intake and get the other dams to feed into the water supply. Taking it down further would require significantly more treatment, loss of quality, and significant loss of actual storage capacity leading to much harsher problems from future droughts. If there was steady-state snowmelt/rainfall, sure that could be done but SF would be bone dry if they had done that in the past and we'd be double hosed. I laugh that people still think we need to 'restore it' given how painfully obvious how important it has been.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Apr 19, 2015

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

hepscat posted:

You driveway car washers should check with your county because San Mateo is offering incentives to use car wash stations. Right now it's 50% off at several local places (like Ducky's if you know that chain). My street drains go right in the Bay so I either have to buy a special soap or go to a place.

The reason people hand wash is because most commercial car washes aren't exactly great for the paint. I'm lazy so i do it anyhow (and mazdas and subarus will have poo poo paint no matter what i do)
Virtually all decent car wash soap is designed to go into the storm system because almost everywhere does that.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
A homeless dude with a nice doggy asked me for food so I bought him a hot chicken & rice burrito and he was super super thankful and I now feel like less of a worthless shithead.

May the Burrito Gods smile upon him.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
Some dude in a Ralph's parking lot asked me for money for food for his nephew and I told him I didn't have cash but I would buy him something and he said "LUNCHABLES!! LUNCHABLES" so I bought him THREE Lunchables (Chicken and pork bologna, if you were wondering) and when I came out he was nowhere to be found. So I've vowed to never buy strange men food ever again.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

i bought some soft tacos and ate them myself, then talked to a weird dude on teh train about bike pedals

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I offered an apple to a homeless dude asking for food outside a grocery store. He didn't have teeth :(.

I ran into him again a month later, didn't realize it was him, and happened to have apples again. Same deal. Felt bad.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
Hey Cali-goons. I'll be in the greater San Francisco area on vacation with my fiancee for 8 days next month, and would love some advice on where we should spend that time. Right now our vague plan is to start with Yosemite for a few days, spend a night in Monterey, and finish up with a few days in the city. It would probably work out to 3/4 nights in Yosemite, 1 night in Monterey, and 4/3 nights in San Francisco. Does that sound like a good plan? Are we better off with the extra day in one place vs. the other? Any recommendations for best hikes and/or things to do would be appreciated as well.

Also, we're going to have a rental car for part of the time obviously, but we'd like to return the car when we return to the city, so we can save some money on the rental fee and not have to park. But, we might be interested in going to Muir Woods (because, more trees) and the Marin Headlands (for views of the bridge) during one of the days in the city. Can we do this without a car? Or should we try to go to these parks as soon as we get back from Monterey and then return the car after?

Thanks for any help!

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

If you're driving all that way I'd definitely take the time to drive from monterey south to big sur. It's about an hour.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

TheEye posted:

Hey Cali-goons. I'll be in the greater San Francisco area on vacation with my fiancee for 8 days next month, and would love some advice on where we should spend that time. Right now our vague plan is to start with Yosemite for a few days, spend a night in Monterey, and finish up with a few days in the city. It would probably work out to 3/4 nights in Yosemite, 1 night in Monterey, and 4/3 nights in San Francisco. Does that sound like a good plan? Are we better off with the extra day in one place vs. the other? Any recommendations for best hikes and/or things to do would be appreciated as well.

Also, we're going to have a rental car for part of the time obviously, but we'd like to return the car when we return to the city, so we can save some money on the rental fee and not have to park. But, we might be interested in going to Muir Woods (because, more trees) and the Marin Headlands (for views of the bridge) during one of the days in the city. Can we do this without a car? Or should we try to go to these parks as soon as we get back from Monterey and then return the car after?

Thanks for any help!

The Chilnualna Falls hike in Wawona is a great hike, not too strenuous, and without very many people on it. When you're in the City you should definitely take the opportunity to visit the Conservatory of Flowers in Golden Gate Park – it's a treasure. Spending a day hiking/picnicking on Mt. Tamalpais is a great idea if you like outdoor stuff – it's just north of the City (maybe 1/2 from the Golden Gate Bridge) and the view is unreal.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Ron Jeremy posted:

If you're driving all that way I'd definitely take the time to drive from monterey south to big sur. It's about an hour.
Thanks. We pretty much have to go to Monterey to see a friend, so we'll see if there's time.

Kenning posted:

The Chilnualna Falls hike in Wawona is a great hike, not too strenuous, and without very many people on it. When you're in the City you should definitely take the opportunity to visit the Conservatory of Flowers in Golden Gate Park – it's a treasure. Spending a day hiking/picnicking on Mt. Tamalpais is a great idea if you like outdoor stuff – it's just north of the City (maybe 1/2 from the Golden Gate Bridge) and the view is unreal.
Cool, we'll look into these.

Suggestions/answers still welcome for my previous post, but I have another question: I've seen many people suggest getting the rental car away from the airport. The day before our actual vacation starts, we have 4 hours to get from the airport to Pleasanton for a wedding. From the looks of it, this gives us time to take the subway from the airport to some other place and save a bunch of money on the car. Any thoughts on a good location for this? All we're looking for is the cheapest rate with a reputable company for an intermediate sized car.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP

Blinkman987 posted:

What if you live and work in Irvine and don't see suicide as an answer to that soulless living? And you want a burrito? T_T

El Toro Bravo in Costa Mesa at the end of the 55. The lengua is out of this world. There is a grocery store next to it with the same name though so don't go there.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

TheEye posted:

Thanks. We pretty much have to go to Monterey to see a friend, so we'll see if there's time.

Cool, we'll look into these.

Suggestions/answers still welcome for my previous post, but I have another question: I've seen many people suggest getting the rental car away from the airport. The day before our actual vacation starts, we have 4 hours to get from the airport to Pleasanton for a wedding. From the looks of it, this gives us time to take the subway from the airport to some other place and save a bunch of money on the car. Any thoughts on a good location for this? All we're looking for is the cheapest rate with a reputable company for an intermediate sized car.

You can ride BART from the airport to Pleasanton. (BART has some underground sections but is also above ground, so people here don't call it "the subway.") This is completely viable if you've got someone to give you a ride once you're there. You're looking at like a 1.5 hour ride, and trains leave directly from the airport; you will have to transfer at one of the SF stations to a different train, but this is very easy (just get off at, say, Balboa Park, and then get on any train labled "Dublin/Pleasanton").

I don't think you'll save a significant amount of money renting away from the airport vs. at the airport? Car rental prices are fairly standard everywhere in a given region. That said, if you're flying from far away, it might be real nice to not have to immediately drive in bay area traffic. On the other other hand, airport rental places probably have the biggest selection of cars for you to pick from. What day of the week are you planning to arrive?

From pleastanon you are already on highway 580, which leads out to I-5, where you then have a choice of a couple of fairly direct routes to Yosemite. So that's not a bad way to get going anyway.

I think 3-4 days in Yosemite in May is an excellent plan. It's early in the tourist season so it hopefully won't be too crowded, and that many days gives you a better chance of not being rained in or something (although we've been having a horrible drought so that's not super likely anyway).

Have you already made lodging plans for Yosemite? Getting a room, cabin, tent cabin, or even camping space on less than a month's notice is probably impossible. Lodging in the park books solid many months in advance. Check the park website, give them a call just in case (sometimes you connect right when there's been a cancellation and you can get lucky) but otherwise you may need to stay in Groveland or something. Dress in layers. The valley floor is at 4,000 feet or so. Weather in the Sierra is unpredictable and can change quickly. If you go on any hikes, bring water, layers of clothes, and a small first aid kit isn't a bad idea. Please remember that Yosemite is situated in the middle of a giant unforgiving wilderness, and act accordingly. You're going to love it, it's spectacular.

Monterey is beautiful. You can easily spend half a day or more just at the absolutely amazing Monterey Bay Aquarium. If you want to do something like a sea kayaking tour, that is probably "instead of" rather than "also" with a museum trip, because it's likely a most-of-the-day affair. There is a very touristy shopping district along cannery row, and then there's a lot of beaches you can go hang out at nearby. I'll second the idea that if you have even a little more time, exploring highway 1 south of Monterey is a very good idea. Carmel is an ultra-rich town but still cool to check out, and there's a lot of amazing hiking, beaches, and wilderness along the Big Sur coast.

San Francisco is also interesting enough to sustain a week or more trip without question. There's so many things to do there that it's best if you can give us some idea of what kinds of things you like. SF has a big food culture, there's countless amazing restaurants. There are excellent museums, lots of urban, suburban, and surprisingly rural outdoor locations within an hour's drive of downtown, there's hiking and biking, etc. Or you can focus on the touristy stuff (which isn't a terrible thing to do really): a ferry trip to alcatraz, a walk on golden gate bridge, shopping in fisherman's wharf, three or four hours in Chinatown, etc.

Don't plan to do a lot of driving in SF. It is not a car-friendly downtown.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Apr 28, 2015

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Leperflesh posted:

Don't plan to do any driving in SF downtown. It will eat yow, chew you up then poo poo you out, curbstomp you, and leave you with a migraine and possible turned into a homicidal manic + >$36 parking fee

Xaris fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Apr 28, 2015

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Lol. I learned to drive in downtown SF, in a 1978 VW rabbit with a stick shift. My stepdad thought it would be "character building" to learn to parallel park in Chinatown during rush hour. I learned how to hold down the brake while simultaneously letting out the clutch and pressing the accelerator on Nob Hill.

But no. If you're intimately familiar with the City, driving is OK except during rush hour. If you're not, it's extremely stressful; there's a lot of one-way streets, corners with no left turn permitted, busses, double-parkers, jaywalkers, angry commuters, and completely horseshit intersections. Oh, and a pervasive lack of signage is sometimes replaced by actively misleading signage.

Oh yeah and there are parking garages, but they're expensive and hard to find and sometimes not near to where you want to actually park.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
Hah, well then driving here over 36 years ago was probably only 25% as bad as it is now.

Don't forget all the fun construction and blocked streets! Oh yeah totally re-working streets like Market and such have sucked too. Even being as familiar with it as your own penis genitals, it's soo bad but I guess doable :shrug:

VVV Yeah I do too but if I do, it's to something like Ocean Beach or the zoo where I can just stick on a freeway and get the gently caress away as possible and have an chance of finding a spot after going around 10 blocks.

E: Also parking pro-tip, on Saturdays you can park at the Battery/Clay street garage all day for $3 after validating at the farmers market so you can gently caress off and walk around Chinatown/Fidi/Union with a short walk. I do this fairly often since it would be like $16-32 for all of us to take BART which isn't worth it, plus room to stash extra clothes/purchases and things.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Apr 28, 2015

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah it was a while ago for me, too. I do drive into the city probably every couple of months, but mostly I'm not trying to do much downtown or in the tourist areas.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

Lol. I learned to drive in downtown SF, in a 1978 VW rabbit with a stick shift. My stepdad thought it would be "character building" to learn to parallel park in Chinatown during rush hour. I learned how to hold down the brake while simultaneously letting out the clutch and pressing the accelerator on Nob Hill.

...that's what the parking brake is for...?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ron Jeremy posted:

...that's what the parking brake is for...?

Yeah, that's what I was using at first, but he wanted me to also learn to heel-toe it with just the car's brake for some reason. It might be because of the truck he had that had a foot-activated parking brake that you had to release with a lever you pull under the dash. I never really drove his truck much but it made sense I guess.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Driving in SF is not a big deal at all if you've ever driven in a city. The lanes aren't all 85 feet wide like in the burbs but the drivers aren't complete assholes like on the East Coast and all of the one-way streets actually make things much simpler.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
One weekend in San Francisco when I was 18 and I had to replace my clutch. There's a lot of streets that just go straight up over a hill with a stop sign somewhere steep.

It's the only place I can think of that I've ever regretted having a standard transmission.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Papercut posted:

Driving in SF is not a big deal at all if you've ever driven in a city. The lanes aren't all 85 feet wide like in the burbs but the drivers aren't complete assholes like on the East Coast and all of the one-way streets actually make things much simpler.

Driving is fine, finding a parking space sucks

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Driving when you're unfamiliar with where you are or where you're going sucks, because signage is poor, there's a lot of double-parking (and as someone else mentioned, construction) that forces you into lanes that are suddenly going where you don't want to go, and in addition to paying attention to signs and other drivers you also have to pay attention to a lot of people just blatantly jaywalking, crossing against lights, wandering aimlessly into the streets, etc. If you're also trying to find a place to park while doing all that, it can get pretty hairy.

I've driven in several cities and SF was* the worst by far, for sheer stress levels. LA was by far the worst for frustrating gridlocked traffic. I've never driven in NYC or a city of that size, though.

*I say "was," because now I'm pretty comfortable with it. I still avoid downtown traffic during rush hour, but only because of the delay. But I'm a native, so I know how the one-ways are laid out, I know where the place is I'm going usually, and I usually know in advance where I intend to park.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Driving in NYC was a breeze after SF. Boston is a sentient being however, trying very hard to get you lost in its bowels and in so doing, consume you.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Christ Pseudoscientist posted:

El Toro Bravo in Costa Mesa at the end of the 55. The lengua is out of this world. There is a grocery store next to it with the same name though so don't go there.

gently caress yes, this place is amazing.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Papercut posted:

If youre not used to collections of (sometimes arbitrary ) one way streets it can be very hard to get to where youre going. Especially with:

Leperflesh posted:

Driving when you're unfamiliar with where you are or where you're going sucks, because signage is poor, there's a lot of double-parking (and as someone else mentioned, construction) that forces you into lanes that are suddenly going where you don't want to go, and in addition to paying attention to signs and other drivers you also have to pay attention to a lot of people just blatantly jaywalking, crossing against lights, wandering aimlessly into the streets, etc. If you're also trying to find a place to park while doing all that, it can get pretty hairy.

I would say SF is worse than LA or Seattle. Even though LA eats up way more time.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Oakland is like a million times more confusing than SF, by the way.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Papercut posted:

Oakland is like a million times more confusing than SF, by the way.

I think it's just a matter of where you actual live, but Oakland is way less stressful and easy as hell for having half a million people: pretty light on traffic, lot of lanes, parking is amazingly plentiful, streets are generally marked well (and are consistent, at least a lot of the numerical names), so you aren't shuffled around and getting honked at a million times. Anyways we were mostly referring to the major downtown parts (civic center/union square, fidi, etc) because the rest of the areas in SF are generally easy and fine.

And it's okay that its awful because its good for people to walk/bike/ride transit--we were mostly just warning that dude not to do so.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

TheEye posted:

If you go to the bay aquarium there, and wanna use public transit in SF later, consider getting a city pass right there. Costs about 90 bucks and saves you money if you plan seeing other touristy stuff in SF (bay cruise, exploratorium, academy of sciences etc.) - most of these cost $30ish on their own. Plus free cable car rides for a week or so.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
Thanks for all the posts!

Leperflesh posted:

I don't think you'll save a significant amount of money renting away from the airport vs. at the airport? Car rental prices are fairly standard everywhere in a given region.
Hmm, I see. I'll just get whatever is cheapest from the airport or Pleasanton then. We're arriving on a Saturday.

Leperflesh posted:

Have you already made lodging plans for Yosemite?
Yeah, everything inside the park was long gone. The other day we booked one of the few available bed & breakfasts in Mariposa. We'll have to drive in every day, but given that it seems like a pretty decent location. It's refundable if for some reason this is a bad idea.

Leperflesh posted:

I'll second the idea that if you have even a little more time, exploring highway 1 south of Monterey is a very good idea.
Duly noted.

Leperflesh posted:

There's so many things to do there that it's best if you can give us some idea of what kinds of things you like.
We like doing touristy things on our first trip to a place, so we'll certainly be doing plenty of those. If we're not hiked-out at that point, we might go to Muir Woods and then the Marin Headlands for views of the bridge. Otherwise, we might check out a museum or two. We don't care at all about nightlife, but we definitely want to try some good, reasonably-priced restaurants (including obligatory burrito).

Leperflesh posted:

Don't plan to do a lot of driving in SF. It is not a car-friendly downtown.
Yeah, the plan is to return the car when we drive back to SF and use public transportation to get around.

Zwille posted:

If you go to the bay aquarium there, and wanna use public transit in SF later, consider getting a city pass right there.
Nice, we'll look into that.

runawayturtles fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 28, 2015

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

TheEye posted:

Yeah, everything inside the park was long gone. The other day we booked one of the few available bed & breakfasts in Mariposa. We'll have to drive in every day, but given that it seems like a pretty decent location. It's refundable if for some reason this is a bad idea.

That should be OK. It'll take you probably an hour to drive each way, but it's a lovely drive when the weather is good. Call Curry Village a couple days before you arrive, just in case they've had a cancellation and can book you. It's a long shot, but we managed it once a few years ago (in January, though).

quote:

We like doing touristy things on our first trip to a place, so we'll certainly be doing plenty of those. If we're not hiked-out at that point, we might go to Muir Woods and then the Marin Headlands for views of the bridge. Otherwise, we might check out a museum or two. We don't care at all about nightlife, but we definitely want to try some good, reasonably-priced restaurants (including obligatory burrito).

This thread is about to have a fight about which restaurant in SF has the best burritos. No matter where you are in SF, a decent burrito is not too far away, but exactly what makes a burrito the "best" is highly subjective.

For the rest: yes, Muir woods is very nice, but it is sequoias, and there is a sequoia grove at Yosemite, so I would do one or the other but maybe not bother doing both. Marin headlands is very nice and picturesque, unless the 'gate is completely fogged in. If there's fog in the city but not at the headlands you may get some extremely lovely views of the fogbanks partway enveloping the city, which is really nice.

Museums. For modern art, there's the SFMOMA, conveniently located walking distance from most downtown hotels. The DeYoung, in Golden Gate Park, sits opposite the CA Academy of Sciences; you can easily do both in a day. The Legion of Honor has a nice permanent collection, and then generally a good temporary exhibit which can be almost anything.

I also really like the Asian Art Museum. It houses the incredible Avery Brundage collection; you can see art from all over asia and india, spanning the complete spectrum from classical eras of china (think 4,000 year old bronzes) through to the modern era. The museum is now housed in the building that used to be the main branch of the SF public library; it's interesting architecturally, too.

There are some other smaller museums around the city too, depending on your interests. There's also the excellent Oakland Museum of CA (but check hours: it's closed mondays and tuesdays). You can BART there very easily.

The Exploratorium is a weird and wonderful thing. It's oriented towards children, but sort of "children of all ages." It is a science museum focused on hands-on, so you generally handle and interact with everything. I haven't been since it moved to its new location at Pier 15, but I've heard good things.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

This thread is about to have a fight about which restaurant in SF has the best burritos. No matter where you are in SF, a decent burrito is not too far away, but exactly what makes a burrito the "best" is highly subjective.

Trick question. It comes from a truck in Oakland.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

nm posted:

I first read that as "Oxnard" and I was impressed with your courage in eating from a truck in Oxnard.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

nm posted:

I got a burrito from a truck in Oakland that has 4.5 stars on yelp, and it was more like a 3 star burrito. Based on my giant sample size, I declare SF the winner :smugbert:

edit: best burritos in CA I've ever had were from SF, Salinas, San Jose, Desert Hot Springs, and San Diego. Worst one I've ever had was also from San Diego. All that was in it was extra chewy/tough/bland carnitas, sauteed onions, and 5 gallons of grease...it tasted decent enough because I was stoned out of my mind and it's hard to hate any burrito, but :wtc:

Also why does the mission burrito example on the burrito wikipedia page have lettuce in it? Only poo poo places have lettuce, and only poo poo people want lettuce in there. People who like lettuce in burritos are even worse than people who need to have rice.

Rah! fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Apr 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Rah! posted:

Also why does the mission burrito example on the burrito wikipedia page have lettuce in it? Only poo poo places have lettuce, and only poo poo people want lettuce in there. People who like lettuce in burritos are even worse than people who need to have rice.

Burrito elitism in this thread is completely out of control. Burritos are an American invention (well, invented in America, for Americans, by Mexicans, anyway).

A burrito is a tortilla wrapped round some kind of mexican-flavored stuff. There is no further definition that is universally applicable and correct.

When people in this thread say "good" or "bad" about a burrito, it's almost never qualified by any sort of description whatsoever. You have at least bothered to mention why that bad burrito was bad, which is a gigantic step forward in our burrito discussions, but you failed to say why any of the good burritos you had were good, leaving us a bit cold. Then you went and sabotaged the value of your opinions about burritos with some dumb stupid thing about lettuce being evil.

There are delicious burritos that contain lettuce and there are delicious burritos that do not contain lettuce.

• Locked thread