Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

larchesdanrew posted:

This is the box pile. All boxes get put here. You are not allowed to throw any boxes away in case we need to ship something out.

At my previous job in a datacenter, one of the old engineers expressly forbid the storing of cardboard boxes, saying they were a fire hazard. If you had something in there temporarily you needed to keep the box for, you had to make arrangements with one of our other facilities.

Whether that was actually true or not, or just his way of making sure we didn't have boxes cluttering up our poo poo, I don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

NZAmoeba posted:

At my previous job in a datacenter, one of the old engineers expressly forbid the storing of cardboard boxes, saying they were a fire hazard. If you had something in there temporarily you needed to keep the box for, you had to make arrangements with one of our other facilities.

Whether that was actually true or not, or just his way of making sure we didn't have boxes cluttering up our poo poo, I don't know.
I worked in a pharmacy where it's considered a health hazard to have cardboard boxes from shipments just lying around. When the boss saw one he'd complain about how he was allergic to cardboard, and that someone needed to get rid of it. He was joking, though.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Ok, now I feel a whole lot better about us still having parts for a black 2 GHz Core 2 Duo MacBook in the parts room.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

NZAmoeba posted:

Plastic totes at least look nicer and are cheap enough.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I swear to god, half these people would still be using Lotus 123 if they could get away with it.

It's 2015 and the local school system is run entirely on an AS/400 running Lotus Notes. Used to run on an HP 3000 Micro XE. How do I know? It's my night stand.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We just got a new $60,000 AS400 system in last week.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

NZAmoeba posted:

Cardboard can certainly be a fire hazard; you don't really want to have a big pile of easily-ignited cardboard in your otherwise fire-resistant data center.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
If I remember correctly, the vast majority of fires in Navy Comma rooms (Basically the Datacenter + radios) come from gigantic piles of documents waiting to be shredded.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

What was the story behind again?

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

KaneTW posted:

:eyepop:

Seems like if there's any chance what so ever that water could be in the same room as equipment you should top load the rack and have the least critical poo poo towards the bottom.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

KaneTW posted:

One of those hurricanes a few years ago flooded a basement down south IIRC.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Clearly it's trying to escape.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
I'd say it's bailing out

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

I'm not IT but at my work our guy looked really pissed as he was trying to do updates on our computers. Went over and asked what was up, apparently he did a volume purchase of Windows 7 for several of our computers, and now 6 machines got flagged as non-genuine copies of Windows. He tried to call the guy who sold us the keys and the phone is no longer in service.

Oops.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

bucksmash posted:

I'm not IT but at my work our guy looked really pissed as he was trying to do updates on our computers. Went over and asked what was up, apparently he did a volume purchase of Windows 7 for several of our computers, and now 6 machines got flagged as non-genuine copies of Windows. He tried to call the guy who sold us the keys and the phone is no longer in service.

Oops.

Why is he purchasing license keys from non-reputable vendors?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

FireSight posted:

"Look! They're $10 cheaper each than they are from <legit vendor>! We'll save so much money!"

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
(nothing was ever here)

sfwarlock fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Apr 19, 2015

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Speaking of antique equipment, I was in a hotel in Tennessee and flipping through the TV. I found two very strange channels! One of them was some kind of cable headend equipment diagnostic screen showing a microwave acquisition failure and rebooting every 120 seconds trying to acquire its channel again. Channel guide said it was a local station. The second channel was ostensibly government access but was really... the boot screen of a Commodore Plus/4. I didn't know anyone bought a Plus/4, let alone was using them in their television studio in TYOOL 2014.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
This feels like the start of a creepypasta

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Commodore cove?

I think this one is pretty commonplace for places that deal with inventory systems, but I got a ticket a few days ago. "<SITENAME> POS: PO001 PO002 PO003." That was it, just a list of purchase order numbers and the site they were for. What few words there were, were in all-caps.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

NZAmoeba posted:

It's definitely a possible fire risk good datacenters would rather avoid. Still a pain in the rear end for RMAs if, like you say, you have to haul it all to a different building just to hang onto it.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

NZAmoeba posted:

We have the same rule here, no storage of any kind inside the DC, and no trash. It does make the datacenter look nice and tidy. We have a separate storage room nearby though, and a trash can outside the door.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Luigi Thirty posted:

Speaking of antique equipment, I was in a hotel in Tennessee and flipping through the TV. I found two very strange channels! One of them was some kind of cable headend equipment diagnostic screen showing a microwave acquisition failure and rebooting every 120 seconds trying to acquire its channel again. Channel guide said it was a local station. The second channel was ostensibly government access but was really... the boot screen of a Commodore Plus/4. I didn't know anyone bought a Plus/4, let alone was using them in their television studio in TYOOL 2014.

You know those stupid scrolling guide channels that nobody knows why they exist? (The answer is old people, by the way.)

When I first started working here, one of those channels went out and was totally black, so I called the head end technician to take a look. "Oh poo poo, one second, let me take a look."

The screen flickered for a moment, and the Windows XP boot screen came up on the TV. Then you saw him launch a program off the desktop, type in a username/password, and maximize the program once it launched.

Guy calls back "Nah, it looks fine to me, no trouble found."

The music on those channels is also from a run of the mill cable box that's plugged into the feed somewhere down the line, and tuned to one of the music channels.

It's a hilariously simple set up and I was really expecting so much more from an ISP. That was a very educational day. Sometimes, if the moons align on those channels, you can see a bubble notification from the desktop wrestling for focus to tell us that there are updates pending to be installed.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Apr 20, 2015

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I never understand why people lie about there being a problem. Leaving aside that you're obviously looking at the channel and you're going to see the machine boot, poo poo happens, you found an issue, you reported it, he fixed it, working as intended. It's not like you're his boss and going to kick his rear end for not catching the problem.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Occasionally, we get stuck with troubleshooting our "Safari" video delivery system, and one day after school we were testing a few classroom's ability to get feeds. We set it on that 'preview' channel for good measure. Apparently it was there to show what's on channels, and run a loop of promo videos, the most common one for a show called "Schitt's Creek". I was quite glad no after-school program was active that day, as the volume of the feeds is often very loud and floods the halls with sound.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

guppy posted:

I never understand why people lie about there being a problem. Leaving aside that you're obviously looking at the channel and you're going to see the machine boot, poo poo happens, you found an issue, you reported it, he fixed it, working as intended. It's not like you're his boss and going to kick his rear end for not catching the problem.

By the book, he was supposed to put up one of those "technical difficulty" slates up before he started working on it, but getting that slate up would've taken more time than just fixing it.

As far as lying about the problem, in this particular instance it was a meta joke because everyone knows there's a huge problem with people trying to hide outages around here. It comes down to how budgets are handled and the ungodly amount of paperwork and meetings that accompany every single outage.

The solution, being a fortune 500 company, was to make it so that claiming that the issue walked without intervention was to add more meetings and paperwork than you would have had if you just admitted that you fixed the problem.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Renegret posted:

You know those stupid scrolling guide channels that nobody knows why they exist? (The answer is old people, by the way.)

When I first started working here, one of those channels went out and was totally black, so I called the head end technician to take a look. "Oh poo poo, one second, let me take a look."

The screen flickered for a moment, and the Windows XP boot screen came up on the TV. Then you saw him launch a program off the desktop, type in a username/password, and maximize the program once it launched.

Guy calls back "Nah, it looks fine to me, no trouble found."

The music on those channels is also from a run of the mill cable box that's plugged into the feed somewhere down the line, and tuned to one of the music channels.

It's a hilariously simple set up and I was really expecting so much more from an ISP. That was a very educational day. Sometimes, if the moons align on those channels, you can see a bubble notification from the desktop wrestling for focus to tell us that there are updates pending to be installed.

I remember being scared as a babby when one of those channels crashed and showed a blinking red Amiga error message with frozen MIDI music instead.

Not as creepy as when a hurricane hit and one of the network affiliates was replaced with a snowy red and gray Chyron saying their transmitter was damaged.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

My dad was just in town for a visit, and one of the TV channels in his hotel was on a Fedora 10 console-mode login prompt for the entire week. Probably still is. I assume it was the local "welcome to the hotel" channel that no one really cares about.

The weird part was the username field had just a single "l" typed in it. Evidently someone saw it was down so they went to the machine, hit the l key, then was like "Well I've done all I can do." and walked off.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Knormal posted:

The weird part was the username field had just a single "l" typed in it. Evidently someone saw it was down so they went to the machine, hit the l key, then was like "Well I've done all I can do." and walked off.

It was probably the cursor indicating where text would appear.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Kazinsal posted:

"Look! They're $10 cheaper each than they are from <legit vendor>! We'll save so much money!"

Or some manager at the company says "Hey Kazinsal, buy some stuff from my friend's kid he just started his own company he's real smart!"

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I do tech support for a hotel and you would be amazed at how many people want channel listings.

We don't have the scrolling TV guide, just a menu option that shows the channels.

A while back it broke and the listings were incorrect anyways.

Instead of paying to fix it, we decided to just laminate a small sheet of paper with the channels and put one in every room.

It works pretty well!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I actually do really like having a listing in hotels so that I don't have to scroll through every manually and hope I don't catch an ad break to know what's what.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Channels not showing their logo during ads is annoying as gently caress.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I do tech support for a hotel and you would be amazed at how many people want channel listings.

I would be amazed if it were less than "very nearly everybody."

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Knormal posted:

My dad was just in town for a visit, and one of the TV channels in his hotel was on a Fedora 10 console-mode login prompt for the entire week. Probably still is. I assume it was the local "welcome to the hotel" channel that no one really cares about.

I was in Orlando for a week in the mid 90s and the channel of video clip commercials for various attractions was a "turn me over" still frame from a Laserdisc.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Che Delilas posted:

I would be amazed if it were less than "very nearly everybody."

Yeah, same. Like sure Tvguide.com exists but it's a pain in the rear end to navigate.

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

FireSight posted:

P. much what Kazinsal said, its cheaper :v:

Although, my roommates bought their computer completely legit from a big box store and just yesterday they got the "not genuine" message on their Win7 machine. Making me wonder if MS hosed something up on the last update?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

A cold call came in:

:downs: "Hi, this is a sales call. Do you have time to talk or would you rather have me call later?"
:geno: "I'd rather have you not call at all. Bye."

At least he was honest about his intentions.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
A lot of tickets came in.

I got to help with my first server migration ever this weekend alongside a team of people with much more experience than me. At least we managed to not gently caress our file system and most of the applications worked without a hitch. We went from a single server rack to a cloud setup. Production is running and we're still doing business so at least we're not in full poo poo-in-the-fan mode. There's just one problem: everything is slow. Remote connections range from instantly to 3 retries, and then RemoteApp sees fit to give us all 3 instances of the software at the same time. Reports take twice as long to complete.

I begin to understand why IT people drink, it's going to be a long week if this continues.

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Apr 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Where I work more or less everything is done in coldfusion. Today they told me there is another coldfusion server, which now makes three--there was the original one that was used forever, a "new" one that all the newer stuff went on and now a new new one. The second server was accessed at intranet/. The new one is now at intranet2/.

Nothing was working today, and usually when that happens the coldfusion services need restarted. Today it wasn't helping. Turns out it was the SQL server. Seems like they should have been able to track that one down, or maybe even know there was a potential problem before it really took everything down. I don't think there's any monitoring of anything. Except for password changes. God help you if you don't have a ticket when you change someone's password.

• Locked thread