Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

89 posted:

We have to squeeze a lemon in the shaker, pour sugar in it as well, sugar the lemon, and then immediately wash the shakers because of the sugar which we rarely have to do. Guess the vodka used. Guess.

....heaven hill.

($1 for employees)

Get management to allow $1 Fireball shots. Problem solved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

leica posted:

I hate you for even suggesting this.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

leica posted:

If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human facebottle pouring into shot glasses — forever.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Helluva lot better than making lemon drops like that for a freaking dollar, I hope they at least tip him good, they drat well better :colbert:

Fireball is cheap and everybody drinks the liquid garbage, might as well make it easy on yourself.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Starscream posted:

Chicks dig it. It reminds me of cough syrup.
At least if you drank actual cough syrup you might end up tripping balls.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

Shooting Blanks posted:

I hate you for even suggesting this.

Starscream
Aug 17, 2000
Ask/Tell me about being fired for being too much of a pompous rear end!

Next up is expanding my knowledge of cocktails to get out of my comfort zone. Sidecar, brooklyn, last word and pisco here I come!
I'm not 100% sure any Canadians will order these kind of things but now that Mad Men is over I've gotta go beyond manhattans and old fashioneds just to be safe. On that note, American bartenders (JamesWoods!), tell me what actually gets ordered in your neck of the woods. Canadians especially tell me what you've seen ordered and where you are. I'll start!

In Edmonton, Old Fashioned and Manhattan are big, but I've started getting asked for Negronis and Boulevardiers.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
No offense but if that's why you feel you've been fired, it's not about a drink rolodex or execution, it's because you didn't follow the chain of command. (edit: or too many people were loving each other where you worked)

Sometimes you have to do the crazy poo poo the a) people above you want or b) your peers or whomever you (shouldn't) consider people under you who you may not respect.

Not saying don't stand your ground when you're in the right, but learn where the envelope ends and who carries the weight. Especially with scenario B, because guess which people get airtime with A when you're not around?

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
Even when you have a coworker you disagree with, you make sure to hold onto it and talk it out when the shift is OVER, unless it threatens someone's safety or the register count.

artificial
Apr 10, 2005

We managed to bar 2 annoying as poo poo semi-regulars last night. Score.

1. Angry man with crutches. He sat bang in the middle of the bar by the till on a busy night therefore right in the customers' way who wanted to buy more than half an ale for 3 hours to nurse, shouting at people for even brushing his elbow. He had been told off for being a shouty twat to randoms, but the final straw was pissing on our nice upholstered barstool and made the whole place smell like a sewer. Will not miss him.

2. Angry, obnoxious couple. The woman threw a glass at her partner (it was closing time and emptying out so the glass entirely missed him and everyone else. Thank gently caress. Still not a nice situation.) technically it's just her that's barred and not him (as he did nothing wrong) but he's obnoxious and loud an a nightmare to serve. one of those "that'll be £17.50..." Oh wait, he's now gone to play pool/have a chat/go to the toilet then comes back 20 mins later "where's my drinks?" because we've held them to ransom behind the bar. Hopefully since his missus is barred we won't see him again.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I just banned an insufferable local after I cut her off and she face planted trying to cross the street going to the next bar. Smashed her face up real good, thankfully wasn't on our property. You're done bitch! I also love banning smug douche bags that harass the patrons that are minding their own business. GTFO and don't come back :wave:

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

leica posted:

I just banned an insufferable local after I cut her off and she face planted trying to cross the street going to the next bar. Smashed her face up real good, thankfully wasn't on our property. You're done bitch! I also love banning smug douche bags that harass the patrons that are minding their own business. GTFO and don't come back :wave:

Just an FYI, but you are liable for her injuries even if she get in a car and drive off for 50 miles before hitting a tree. At least in most states you are.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
"states"

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

Big deal in PA. Every place I worked had us get RAMP certified so we had our asses covered if someone sued the bar. Or you could just be charming as hell like my friend. He overserved this woman who faceplanted and busted up her teeth very badly. He sent her flowers and got a thank you letter instead of a subpoena

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Booties posted:

Just an FYI, but you are liable for her injuries even if she get in a car and drive off for 50 miles before hitting a tree. At least in most states you are.

No I'm not because I cut her off and kicked her out as soon as I realized she had too much to begin with. She had obviously been drinking before she got to the bar, it just took me a few drinks to figure that out. I didn't willingly over serve her, there's a big difference.

Besides, this is Florida and I've never heard of RAMP so ymmv I guess.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Sometimes that doesn't matter, man. Years ago in my town there was a lawsuit where 3 dudes got wasted, drove their car off an embankment and left one of them a quadriplegic. They were drinking at a bar, then drove home, drank a bottle of jack between them, then went out to a club. The first bar they were at was sued (as well as the club) and were still deemed partially responsible and lost, even though the guys did so much more drinking after they'd left that bar.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I understand that, but that's pretty much a risk we all take isn't it? The way I look at it is I did my part, I cut the bitch off, if she wanted to sue the resort fine. She'd be wasting her time suing me so I'm not worried about it. I'm never going to willingly over serve anyone, and I don't think anyone here would either but what are you gonna do? The only way to completely avoid that slim to none possibility is by not bartending.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

nrr posted:

Sometimes that doesn't matter, man. Years ago in my town there was a lawsuit where 3 dudes got wasted, drove their car off an embankment and left one of them a quadriplegic. They were drinking at a bar, then drove home, drank a bottle of jack between them, then went out to a club. The first bar they were at was sued (as well as the club) and were still deemed partially responsible and lost, even though the guys did so much more drinking after they'd left that bar.

How can that be? If I have a bottle of Bud Light at a bar, go home and chug a bottle of vodka, and then something unfortunate happens to me, are you saying that the bar where I had exactly one beer could be held partially responsible?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

leica posted:

I understand that, but that's pretty much a risk we all take isn't it? The way I look at it is I did my part, I cut the bitch off, if she wanted to sue the resort fine. She'd be wasting her time suing me so I'm not worried about it. I'm never going to willingly over serve anyone, and I don't think anyone here would either but what are you gonna do? The only way to completely avoid that slim to none possibility is by not bartending.

Dram shop laws and TIPS certification.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

PT6A posted:

How can that be? If I have a bottle of Bud Light at a bar, go home and chug a bottle of vodka, and then something unfortunate happens to me, are you saying that the bar where I had exactly one beer could be held partially responsible?

It was obviously more than a bud light.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

nrr posted:

It was obviously more than a bud light.

And now that I've sobered up, I'm happy to be the pedantic poo poo who patiently explains the American civil justice laws regarding liability for giving someone an intoxicant versus criminal liability for said someone's actions under the influence.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

bloody ghost titty posted:

Dram shop laws and TIPS certification.

Never heard of TIPS until I googled it just now.

And now that I've sobered up, I'm happy to be the pedantic poo poo who patiently explains the American civil justice laws regarding liability for giving someone an intoxicant versus criminal liability for said someone's actions under the influence.

I'm not responsible for my actions if I strangle someone that tips me $10 on a $200 tab am I?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

leica posted:

I'm not responsible for my actions if I strangle someone that tips me $10 on a $200 tab am I?

Much like driving drunk, only if you get caught.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot
Took a backing shift this coming Wednesday. I'm scared of it going really, really well and completely sucking me back in. For better or for worse I'm going to enjoy the hell out of it. It's been almost 2 years to the day!

Dirnok
Feb 10, 2005

Welcome back!

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

One of us....one of us....

Dirnok
Feb 10, 2005

Oh hey, been meaning to post about this.

A huge thank you to you guys that gave me advice and knowledge about credit card processing and the ins and outs on how all that works. This month marks a year since we made the transition from cash only. We haven't had a single charge back, sales are up, tips are noticeably better. First couple weeks were kind of a mess but we've got systems worked out now to where this whole taking cards thing adds maybe 10 minutes to closing the bar. It's proven to be a really solid move on our part, the GM and owner are really happy with how it's worked out. But I don't think I could have gotten them to commit to the idea if not for what you guys told me. So, again, thank you. Should you find yourselves in Nebraska, drinks are on me!

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Dirnok posted:

Oh hey, been meaning to post about this.

A huge thank you to you guys that gave me advice and knowledge about credit card processing and the ins and outs on how all that works. This month marks a year since we made the transition from cash only. We haven't had a single charge back, sales are up, tips are noticeably better. First couple weeks were kind of a mess but we've got systems worked out now to where this whole taking cards thing adds maybe 10 minutes to closing the bar. It's proven to be a really solid move on our part, the GM and owner are really happy with how it's worked out. But I don't think I could have gotten them to commit to the idea if not for what you guys told me. So, again, thank you. Should you find yourselves in Nebraska, drinks are on me!

When finally I find my way to The Other Room, I'll come say hi.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

If I ever find myself in Nebraska I'll come order a few rounds of Sex with an Alligators for the bar.

Ally McBeal Wiki
Aug 15, 2002

TheFraggot

Dirnok posted:

Welcome back!

Jesus Christ, I have never been around cooler fuckin' people behind the bar. I'd forgotten how GOOD it feels to work among (mostly) pros. Jaded, salty, fuckin' hilarious people that don't take poo poo and that "get" it.

Go make a million dollars tonight, goontenders.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Meanwhile I just got onboard as bar & hospitality manager for a serious resto group in manhattan. The dark side is pretty swell, guys. Benefits...

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
Woo just bullshit my way into my first bartender job at a Spanish tapas place. It's gonna be pretty chill, wine and cocktail list and not much more. Any advice on prep/organization/expert tips on how to be clean, organized, ready for anything? I need to pretend like I have all the right instincts and just need to learn the cocktail list.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

aaaand tonight im getting back for my first shift behind the stick in almost 6 weeks after being on vacation, to find out that our bar manager has quit while our GM is on holiday for a month and our wine director has just gone on maternity leave and uhhh... hey otto, whos driving the bus?

Meanwhile I just got onboard as bar & hospitality manager for a serious resto group in manhattan. The dark side is pretty swell, guys. Benefits...
Goongrats, big guy.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

OSheaman posted:

Woo just bullshit my way into my first bartender job at a Spanish tapas place. It's gonna be pretty chill, wine and cocktail list and not much more. Any advice on prep/organization/expert tips on how to be clean, organized, ready for anything? I need to pretend like I have all the right instincts and just need to learn the cocktail list.

...and how much experience do you have?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

nrr posted:

hey otto, whos driving the bus?

Sounds like you are.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

...and how much experience do you have?

I wanna know how much experience he/she said they had

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Sounds like you are.

Yeah, that's the thing, I've really got to decide whether I want to take it or not if they offer it. It'd pretty much kill my trip to NY for oct/nov.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

nrr posted:

Yeah, that's the thing, I've really got to decide whether I want to take it or not if they offer it. It'd pretty much kill my trip to NY for oct/nov.

Tough choices. I know there is a throng of beautiful lady bartenders who would swoon to have you back, but the buying power...

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Bar manager has been butt hurt that we haven't been stocking the bar to his liking lately, so for his next shift when he opens the door he won't be able to walk through the wall of beer cases topped with straws and cups to the ceiling. Should be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

nrr posted:

How long would you be gone? Asking for time off immediately if it's already planned isn't unreasonable...

• Locked thread