Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

This non-viz, non-Casanova scan doesn't use the word oyakodon. It just says donburi. Although I grant you, oyakodon is probably a given because quail.

The casanova scan is out, and it also uses oyakodon. I don't know if there will be quail eggs though, because the thing on the side could very well be some sort of omelette or gigantic poached egg. My guess is the smaller thing is an omelette using rice that was inside of the quail while it was cooking + the chicken/onions he made at the beginning. As for the quail, I don't really have any good guesses about it. Actually on second thought, the rice might still be in the quail because rice in the omelette would make it an omurice

Nitpicking on translation: I feel like Wei's position should probably be translated as maitre d'hotel given the circumstances, but I bet 99% of the people who read it would have to look up what it means and "waiter" and "service manager" work just fine

gwrtheyrn fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Apr 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
The new episode of the anime finally introduces the main character.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

For some reason her hair looks lighter than I though and it bothers me

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

gwrtheyrn posted:

The casanova scan is out, and it also uses oyakodon. I don't know if there will be quail eggs though, because the thing on the side could very well be some sort of omelette or gigantic poached egg. My guess is the smaller thing is an omelette using rice that was inside of the quail while it was cooking + the chicken/onions he made at the beginning. As for the quail, I don't really have any good guesses about it. Actually on second thought, the rice might still be in the quail because rice in the omelette would make it an omurice

Nitpicking on translation: I feel like Wei's position should probably be translated as maitre d'hotel given the circumstances, but I bet 99% of the people who read it would have to look up what it means and "waiter" and "service manager" work just fine

Since we're talking French cuisine here, it wouldn't be out of the ordinary to have two or three items using the same ingredients on the same plate.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Since we're talking French cuisine here, it wouldn't be out of the ordinary to have two or three items using the same ingredients on the same plate.

Sure, I'm just guessing where the ingredients go. The only things we know are there are rice, egg, and chicken (oyakodon) as well as quail (duh) and onion.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Sonata Mused posted:

The new episode of the anime finally introduces the main character.

Megumi is wonderful already yesssssssssss.....

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Pyronic posted:

Megumi is wonderful already yesssssssssss.....

Eh. Megumi doesn't really become great until the cooking camp. Then again the cooking camp in general was when the manga finally found it's legs and became really good.

Next episode should be alright though. I remember enjoying the Polar Star chapters when I first read it, that was probably when I started to actually get into the series.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
You know I always wondered why they scanlated it as Polar Star Dormitory but then I just realized lol @ the idea of a scanlator even knowing what Polaris is.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Eej posted:

You know I always wondered why they scanlated it as Polar Star Dormitory but then I just realized lol @ the idea of a scanlator even knowing what Polaris is.

I think Crunchroll translated it that way as well. Either that or i'm tired because i'm pretty sure the scanlations I read translated it as Polaris.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Another chapter of L'etoile got translated.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Wait what's wrong with 'Polar Star'? I mean sure it's called Polaris but both names are ok.

And in spanish at least you'll hear the former more often than the latter.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

Eej posted:

It very well may be the "correct" translation in the same way that Polaris is also referred to as the north star, etc.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I think Crunchroll translated it that way as well. Either that or i'm tired because i'm pretty sure the scanlations I read translated it as Polaris.

Yeah but they also translated it as engetsu academy :v:

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Manga scanlators don't usually have issues with kanji readings, I think, because manga like this usually have furigana. For whatever reason the scripts Crunchyroll received didn't have any and they chose the wrong reading.

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family
Non-Casanova scanlation is up

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

so, Rice-a-roni risotto cabbage roll stuffed inside a cooked bird I can do that.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Haha, a la crazy boy :allears:

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

That translation is weird as gently caress. They use "shifu" and don't put translation notes for it. Instead they put the note for kouhai. Since that makes sense :v:

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

gwrtheyrn posted:

That translation is weird as gently caress. They use "shifu" and don't put translation notes for it. Instead they put the note for kouhai. Since that makes sense :v:

Yet another instance where the dumbfuck group should get a real editor that actually edits, instead of the glorified spell check they seem to have now.

It seems like every fan translation group does this, btw. They have no clue what an editor actually does, much less understand that they all desperately need one.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

pnumoman posted:

Yet another instance where the dumbfuck group should get a real editor that actually edits, instead of the glorified spell check they seem to have now.

It seems like every fan translation group does this, btw. They have no clue what an editor actually does, much less understand that they all desperately need one.

Really though, the group that put out this scan seems to be particularly bad. They're probably more focused on just pushing poo poo out as fast as possible rather than actually putting out quality work. Who needs an editor if that's your goal :rolleyes:.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

gwrtheyrn posted:

Really though, the group that put out this scan seems to be particularly bad. They're probably more focused on just pushing poo poo out as fast as possible rather than actually putting out quality work. Who needs an editor if that's your goal :rolleyes:.

The actual story behind these super speed scans is kinda shady. I talked to a dude who did scans and he said the really fast translations that would come out were funded by small time racketeers.

I almost believe it since the first Naruto scan to come out would get a shitload of hits.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Angry Grimace posted:

The actual story behind these super speed scans is kinda shady. I talked to a dude who did scans and he said the really fast translations that would come out were funded by small time racketeers.

I almost believe it since the first Naruto scan to come out would get a shitload of hits.

Sounds like an opportunity! Someone needs to make a manga about the dark and gritty underbelly of the fansubbing industry.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Compendium posted:

Haha, a la crazy boy :allears:

The french version is even better. Garçon Effronté basically means insulting/annoying boy.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Angry Grimace posted:

Basically readmanga.today's admin approached a bunch of scanlators and offered them money (not even that much money) in exchange for releasing their scans on their site first and possibly delay release elsewhere.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

MonsieurChoc posted:

The french version is even better. Garçon Effronté basically means insulting/annoying boy.

"little poo poo"

Kyte posted:

Basically readmanga.today's admin approached a bunch of scanlators and offered them money (not even that much money) in exchange for releasing their scans on their site first and possibly delay release elsewhere.

Really, considering how little money some scanslators get, does it really need to be that much? I'm thinking this might become the new model, doing scanslations on commission, basically.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I love in this chapter that when Soma explains his dish everyone is listering carefully... except Hinako, who's in the background scarfing down the quail :lol:

tobeannouncd
Oct 2, 2011

The tiger took my family
Casanova translation is up. Also, the new issue of Weekly Shonen Jump is up as well. The translations are pretty similar, so no complaints from me.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Really, considering how little money some scanslators get, does it really need to be that much? I'm thinking this might become the new model, doing scanslations on commission, basically.

Scanlation is already in a gray area, and turning it into a profit-making arrangement (albeit not much profit) wouldn't help the case for scanlators. IANAL, but it's a lot easier to sue someone for copyright infringement when you can prove that they're making money off of the infringement.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

MajorMarcus posted:

but it's a lot easier to sue someone for copyright infringement when you can prove that they're making money off of the infringement.

It just adds extra damages a

Mikl posted:

except Hinako, who's in the background scarfing down the quail :lol:
Even if she's a pretty flat character so far, I can't help but like her. It seems like she might get more developed in the spinoff series though. Also they should make a spinoff about megumi because I would read it even if it's bad

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

gwrtheyrn posted:

It just adds extra damages a

Even if she's a pretty flat character so far, I can't help but like her. It seems like she might get more developed in the spinoff series though. Also they should make a spinoff about megumi because I would read it even if it's bad

> Hinako
> flat

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Hinako's the best of the teacher's introduced at the training camp because she is Megumi's Number 1 Biggest fan, so she has good taste. She's also the only teacher other than Shinomiya that really got much focus, all the other's classes got skipped.

Also, that was a good chapter. Making a French inspired Japanese dish is basically exactly what Shinomiya wanted in his restaurant so it makes sense that would be what he chose and if foreign inspired Japanese dishes becomes Soma's specialty I think that's appropriate since his expertise from Yukihara was in making everyday Japanese dishes anyway, so it's a logical step forward for him.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
It's essentially the opposite of his dad's "incorporate foreign techniques into traditional japanese food" style too.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
In Progress results for the online character popularity poll:

1. Erina
2. Takumi
3. Soma
4. Megumi
5. Alice
6. Shinomiya
7. Hisako
8. Curry
9. Meat
10. Isshiki
11. Ryou
12. Hinako
13. Isami
14. Smoke Guy

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Further proof that Japan has no taste. Erina? Really?

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

KittyEmpress posted:

Further proof that Japan has no taste. Erina? Really?

I'm gonna guess it's because she's a blonde princess type? I mean, she has almost no personality so that's all I can come up with.

Also, I gotta guess that gross waifu-seeking otaku dominate these polls nowadays, alongside horny male teens, so I guess I shouldn't be so surprised.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

pnumoman posted:

I'm gonna guess it's because she's a blonde princess type?

I don't see any other reason why takumi is #2. He's a decent character, but 4-7 are at least as good if not better

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

poo poo. Takumi's only 20 points behind Erina? Im surprised, I like him too but unlike Erina I didn't think there was anything about him that specifically appealed to Japanese readers.

If you remove Erina that's a pretty respectable top 5 as well. I'm a little disappointed meat and curry does not refer to the food themselves, Nikumi and Akira just aren't that great. Nikumi might be the only character with less depth than Erina.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Erina got all the votes from guys who want the perfect cold tsundere waifu, and Takumi got all the votes from girls who want their angsty pretty perfect little husbando

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I am disappointed in Japan and their poo poo taste in waifus.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

KittyEmpress posted:

Erina got all the votes from guys who want the perfect cold tsundere waifu, and Takumi got all the votes from girls who want their angsty pretty perfect little husbando

I get that tsundere is a fetish, but goddamn, have any of those people actually met someone like that in real life? It gets annoying as poo poo really loving quickly, so I gotta imagine that they never have.

Then again, I'm talking about otaku, so of course they've never interacted with someone like that for any appreciable amount of time.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

KittyEmpress posted:

I thought all the girls would have voted for Shinomiya since being pretty and having a tragic past was his only appeal till like 5 chapters ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
Could be as simple as a few people stuffing the ballot.