Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Seik posted:

Yeah man, the sounds are definitely the best part. I was considering upgrading to the this Remus Hypercone exhaust, but honestly it sounds so good stock already. Have you done anything to yours?

Nope, I've kept it stock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Just let it warm up and ride it normally, using all the rev range. Break in procedures have generally gotten more influence from liability lawyers than engineers, these days. Is Kawasaki still using those "keep it under 6k" stickers on the tach on every bike they sell, regardless of redline?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Z3n posted:

Just let it warm up and ride it normally, using all the rev range. Break in procedures have generally gotten more influence from liability lawyers than engineers, these days. Is Kawasaki still using those "keep it under 6k" stickers on the tach on every bike they sell, regardless of redline?

Under 4k, from a big v-twin to a ninja 250.

Ed: http://www.kawasaki-techinfo.net/showOM.php?view_lang=EN&spec=US&book_no=99987-1549&lang_code=EN

Can you imagine never revving a 250 over 4k for 800 miles?

nsaP fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Apr 5, 2015

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

kuffs posted:

yesterday at the Talimena Scenic Byway

later, finding out that the GPS had not been updated with the latest blocked roads

drat pretty up there. You figure out a decent enough route?

Seik
Apr 15, 2006

Yes, I am indeed purple.
Pillbug

apseudonym posted:

Nope, I've kept it stock.

Awesome. There's no sound quite like it. I don't think I'll ever get bored of it.

Z3n posted:

The sticker on the bike was definitely more punitive than the actual owners manual, so it was removed immediately. The manual suggests not using more than 3/4 of the rev range, not using full throttle, not staying at high RPMs and not riding at one constant engine speed for the first 500 miles, and gradually increasing the rev limit during 500 miles to 1,000 miles.

Seik fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Apr 6, 2015

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

kuffs posted:

yesterday at the Talimena Scenic Byway

later, finding out that the GPS had not been updated with the latest blocked roads

Today at uhh, some back road northeast of me?

It appears you stumbled upon an old Dukes Of Hazzard set.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
I've got a 2014 Street Triple R with the Arrow pipe and it adds just the ride amount of volume to the awesome engine note without becoming obnoxious.

And the break in sticker on it was quite restrictive when I got it, too, but the day I picked it up I asked the sales guy if it was ok to immediately do strong pulls to the artificial limit with plenty of engine braking and he basically said yep, sounds like you know what's up.

I probably could have disregarded the artificial limit but when you've just shelled out about $19k cash for a brand new bike it's bloody hard to do, haha.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

Skreemer posted:

drat pretty up there. You figure out a decent enough route?

The route there sucks, because of US-75. But everything after you get off 75 is wonderful. I planned the route back through some parts of rural AR and OK and they were just incredible, as you can see from the Dukes set. But after that bridge bit, I deferred to letting the GPS just pick the fastest route home. I didn't plan enough slack time for sightseeing on the byway so we got a late start home. We ended up getting home at 9:30 or so. I don't mind riding in the dark myself, but leading the ride in the dark absolutely sucks.

I'll have to pull the actual route followed off of my GPS and post it up.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Nitramster posted:

Why does it have 600 stickers on the tail? I have a 2014 and its 636 back there.

I'm pretty sure that's a 2012 (or earlier), when they switched to the 636cc they started mixing more black plastics into the body.

edit: actually after doing some google searching I'm not sure on that anymore, every picture I'm finding has some black plastic panels, I can't find a year that had all green on everything like that.

As far as I've been able to understand, I think 2013 saw the US get the new 636 model. All other areas got the 599 "2012 winner" model. At some point later, both models were offered in all markets with the 636 being seen as more commute friendly. I've probably made some kind of inaccuracy in there, and there's scads of folk here who could spell out all the details correctly.

To the best of my knowledge this bike is imported from Japan. I had the same issue with the Ninjette previously, me and a few other CA folk tried to work out the odd placement of stickers.
I kinda care, but realistically, I just think it's a nice quirk. I asked after OEM stickers (after I scraped the poo poo out of the "Stripes & Kawasaki" front right lower fairing), and was told around $300 USD to replace them, I gave up caring too much around about then.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Just got it home! 2015 K1600GTL

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Trip report on the corner-following headlight please.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

marshmonkey posted:

Just got it home! 2015 K1600GTL
I want a good quality mic recording of a run up through all the gears in that thing to redline.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I want a good quality mic recording of a run up through all the gears in that thing to redline.

Seconded. I saw a completely trashed one outside my local dealership (probably because someone had a similar challenge).

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

That's too pretty and clean for CA. Have an old DRZ.

e: I realized I didn't include a full picture of it, and this is the most recent one I have :v:

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

This thing is such a beast coming from a CTX700 DCT (automatic transmission), still working on nailing smooth shifts.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

:lol: where is that thing racing

Just kidding, nice bike.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

:lol: where is that thing racing

is usually the type of motorsport application for big twin racing heads.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

clutchpuck posted:

Big twin racing heads in general or those specific precision racing ones? I would be very surprised if they happened to share a single part, clutch lever, foot peg, chain link, anything.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

clutchpuck posted:

I was just making a Harley-Davidson (TM) joke. As in "Haw haw haw the only race that'll do is a poker run haw haw!"

It is for real a nice biek though.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Ola posted:

Big twin racing heads in general or those specific precision racing ones? I would be very surprised if they happened to share a single part, clutch lever, foot peg, chain link, anything.

Well the guy's heads are aftermarket racing heads so...

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Any of you Street Triple guys installed the passenger bars on the tail? $200 seems steep for them but I don’t see any third party offering for the 3rd gen and I need it since every time I two up my balls get crushed by the tank when I brake.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
awesomesmalldisplacementfun.jpg

Just picked up my KTM RC390 today. So so tiny, narrow and light. It's really fun chucking it around corners at legal speeds.

I still have my MV but I think I'll be on the KTM more on a day to day basis.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Oh man I want one so bad. Details!

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Yuns posted:

awesomesmalldisplacementfun.jpg

Just picked up my KTM RC390 today. So so tiny, narrow and light. It's really fun chucking it around corners at legal speeds.

I still have my MV but I think I'll be on the KTM more on a day to day basis.

fuuuuuuuuuuuck yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

cursedshitbox posted:

Oh man I want one so bad. Details!
Super fun. It's about 340 lbs or so fully fueled which makes it 80-120 lbs lighter than the superbikes/supersports. It also super super narrow. The geometry is pure sportbike but the ergos are a bit more relaxed. Given the light weight and chassis geometry you'd expect it to be super fast side to side but it's actually quite stable. The seat is the same height as most sportbikes at 32.3 inches but the footpegs are a touch lower than the superbikes making it pretty accommodating for long legs. Personally, I like high and committed rearsets so I'll likely switch the footpegs for the RC390 cup ones. 43 hp is plenty sufficient and the motor has a good midrange but if you're coming from a superbike it does feel down on power. You need to work the gears a bit more. The bike would be even better with maybe 20 more hp but the power to weight is already class leading among the R3 CBR300 Ninja 300 etc. Suspension is compliant as noted in many reviews and at 180 lbs I didn't have too many complaints so far about the suspension. We'll see once I push it a bit more. Brakes are a bit soft compared to radially mounted monobloc double disc fronts of the superbikes but they are adequate and I won't be able to really opine until they bed in and I use them a bit more. It is a bike that's obviously built to a price point but it doesn't seem too cheaply built at all.

It's super fun to ride since it's so small and light with adequate power. I'm having a tremendous amount of fun even inside the speed limits on back roads, I never even use 6th on my MV but on the KTM I can use all the gears. I'm supposed to keep it below 7500 rpm for break in but it'd going to be tough. It's always been my dream to own a Ducati Supermono, the 61 hp 277 wet weight single cylinder race bike but so few were ever made and now they command $150,000 prices. The KTM could have more power, better brakes, better suspension but at $5499 it's as good an attempt as anyone has managed at that price point to give us a Supermono.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Maybe it's a good thing none of the 390s have popped up in dealers near me yet.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I forgot to note that my bike came shod in Pirelli Diablo Rosso II, which are decent tires. Some of the 300cc competitors are shod in bias ply tires.

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007

2015 Harley xg750. I love it, the brakes are a bit smushy, and the mirrors are half useless but meh. Never thought I'd buy a Harley.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What was your previous bike? What's the quality of the switchgear, clocks etc like? I want an objective view of those things that journalists seem incapable of providing for some reason.

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007

Slavvy posted:

What was your previous bike? What's the quality of the switchgear, clocks etc like? I want an objective view of those things that journalists seem incapable of providing for some reason.

Lol my last bike was an '83 gs1100. If I'm nit picking the controls are just a bit cheep feeling, and for the first 500 miles it was basically impossible to find neutral. But taken as a whole, for $7.5k it's more than adequate. Funnily enough my biggest irk is the horn, I'm embarrassed everytime I use it.

rmdx
Sep 22, 2013

Zosologist posted:

If I'm nit picking the controls are just a bit cheep feeling, and for the first 500 miles it was basically impossible to find neutral.

You did buy a KTM didn't you? :) Even the LC8 bikes get poo poo for cheapish-seeming controls and crude-feeling gearboxes.

... but drat the RC390 is nice. If I'd enough money to buy let alone own more than one bike I'd seriously buy one.

rmdx fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Apr 19, 2015

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

rmdx posted:

You did buy a KTM didn't you? :) Even the LC8 bikes get poo poo for cheapish-seeming controls and crude-feeling gearboxes.

... but drat the RC390 is nice. If I'd enough money to buy let alone own more than one bike I'd seriously buy one.

That's the guy that brought the Harley.

rmdx
Sep 22, 2013

Shimrod posted:

That's the guy that brought the Harley.

poo poo. Nevermind me then. Although my comments still stand

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Zosologist posted:

Lol my last bike was an '83 gs1100. If I'm nit picking the controls are just a bit cheep feeling, and for the first 500 miles it was basically impossible to find neutral. But taken as a whole, for $7.5k it's more than adequate. Funnily enough my biggest irk is the horn, I'm embarrassed everytime I use it.

Totally normal for every bike I've ever ridden.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Totally normal for every bike I've ever ridden.

Yeah, they're just embarassing. Mind you replacements are cheap and easy to fit (and a good first Fisher-Price My First Bike Mod for any new spanner-twirlers out there). As with all mods though you do run the risk of continually trying to one-up yourself - I keep wondering where I can mount this...

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Yesterday I sold this thing for $2,200:

Then I got on craigslist for 10 minutes, made a phone call, and drove 5 hours to buy this thing for $2,200:

Then I did a stupid thing. I had to bring it back tipped over on its side and forgot to even close the petcock. The airbox was full of fuel when I stood it back up. What should I do before I try starting it again?

Dutymode fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Apr 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feka
Jan 21, 2013

No soup for you!
I picked this one up on Thursday

All new and shiny, put the first 200km on her this weekend. So happy! :swoon: