Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Deku's severely handicapped when it comes to his quirk, so I don't think it's entirely fair to blame him for having to hold back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

TriffTshngo posted:

Pulling the "everyone else is trying their hardest but you're holding back" card could've also been sent right back Midoriya's way because both he and Todoroki have technically been holding back their full power.
Todoroki doesn't use his full power because he doesn't feel like it.

Deku doesn't use his full power because he could wind up killing himself.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

He'd probably skewer a person or two with some bones exploding out of him too.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Terper posted:

Deku's severely handicapped when it comes to his quirk, so I don't think it's entirely fair to blame him for having to hold back.

He's essentially yelling at Todoroki to ignore his decade+ of abuse and emotional baggage. That's just as unreasonable as telling Midoriya to hurry up and get good at not exploding your arms every time you punch the air. Just because he admits he doesn't understand Todoroki's circumstances doesn't make him not an rear end in a top hat for saying "hey get over it because I think that's lame."

Like I said both outcomes would have been fine to me, it's just that I feel like Midoriya comes across like a jerk sometimes in situations like these and I think it would be interesting if someone calls him on his poo poo at some point.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Its a shounen manga and Deku is exactly the kind of person who knows how he feels and what he needs to say due to not even having a quirk for most of his life

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Mindblast posted:

Yeah Firedad has yet to realise what it actually means. He feels he's finally getting what he wants.

I don't know that Firedad will care. Even if Todoroki starts using his fire powers while telling his dad to eat it if Firedad cares more about seeing him use those powers than his own relationship with Todoroki or his own standing then he kind of wins regardless. And he does by the looks of things. Just because he'd win if Todoroki uses his fire power isn't really a reason to not use them though, because Todoroki can help people more and become a better person (in that he'd be getting over his own issues/past) by using them regardless of how he feels about his dad.

Twiddy posted:

You know, I was wondering about a satisfying way that Todoroki could actually lose this fight. Dude;s been shown to be way too powerful for it to be easy for Deku to just win. I really like this idea of him sacrificing this short term victory to learn to use a power he's been neglecting out of spite.

After this chapter I'm not seeing why you'd need such a reason. Yea, Deku's pretty hosed while Todoroki has just activated his full power, but Todoroki wasn't exactly holding back on the ice attacks and Deku still blew through those attacks and put the hurt on him. There's no reason he can't blow through any fire attacks Todoroki produces in much the same way he did his ice attacks, even if he's already really good with them because he's already good with his ice powers and was losing regardless. The longer the fight goes on the worse it is for Deku, but Deku has shown the intelligence, desire and power to win as is.

TriffTshngo posted:

I dunno. I'm sure things will be great either way but it just seems like kind of an early spot for an already extremely strong character to essentially get a x2 power boost.

Considering this chapter I don't really think it is. As this chapter showed Deku is starting to get a hold on just a tiny fraction of his powers, and yet he's already pushing Todoroki because he can only fight effectively using just his ice side for a short period before it begins to gently caress him up. An ice only dude could be written as extremely strong, but this chapter pointed out some weaknesses that limit him while also pushing Deku up quite a bit so that Todoroki needs to become stronger to keep up with him. Todoroki is extremely strong, but then, so are a lot of the cast, even if only in potential (gravity control, explosive sweat, make anything out of thin air) and he just needs to keep apace with them relative to the pacing - which we can use Deku's control as a metric for. Since the pace is picking up, he has to too. And presumably all those other characters will as well.

TriffTshngo posted:

He's essentially yelling at Todoroki to ignore his decade+ of abuse and emotional baggage. That's just as unreasonable as telling Midoriya to hurry up and get good at not exploding your arms every time you punch the air.

To be fair, he's more yelling at him to move past his abuse than to ignore it. You can't dwell on those kinds of problems forever without it loving up your life, and if you want to succeed you basically have to start dealing with them rather than letting them control or define you.

tsob fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Apr 19, 2015

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

TriffTshngo posted:

He's essentially yelling at Todoroki to ignore his decade+ of abuse and emotional baggage. That's just as unreasonable as telling Midoriya to hurry up and get good at not exploding your arms every time you punch the air. Just because he admits he doesn't understand Todoroki's circumstances doesn't make him not an rear end in a top hat for saying "hey get over it because I think that's lame."

Like I said both outcomes would have been fine to me, it's just that I feel like Midoriya comes across like a jerk sometimes in situations like these and I think it would be interesting if someone calls him on his poo poo at some point.

They're in the life-saving business. Just because you have a good explanation for why you're not giving your all, doesn't mean it's an acceptable excuse. "Oh sorry family, I could have beaten that villain, but my daddy beat me when I was a kid and that's why I held back and let him kill your kids" doesn't really fly. Any more than an EMT refusing to do CPR because he's OCD and can't stand having icky blood on him. There are no acceptable excuses other than "I physically am unable to perform my duty".

Besides, people keep yelling at Midoriya to stop exploding his arms, and he's busting his rear end off trying to make it happen. He has the right attitude, Todoroki doesn't.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

TriffTshngo posted:

Pulling the "everyone else is trying their hardest but you're holding back" card could've also been sent right back Midoriya's way because both he and Todoroki have technically been holding back their full power.

There is no way you can claim Deku is holding back. Unless you expect him to make a point by turning Todoroki into a smear on the ground. He's going out of his way to get his point across. He's busting up his body something fierce while working with the very limits of his current abilities. Limits he's continuously trying to improve mind you.

Todoroki is just refusing to use half of his abilities because of daddy issues, even though there are many MANY other ways of going about it.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Just caught up, and I honestly don't care who comes out on top of the tournament. I love all of these little shits and anyone who comes out as the victor of the festival will be well won. Unless it's that copycat kid, that dude can jump off a cliff.

Level Slide fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Apr 19, 2015

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013

tsob posted:

After this chapter I'm not seeing why you'd need such a reason. Yea, Deku's pretty hosed while Todoroki has just activated his full power, but Todoroki wasn't exactly holding back on the ice attacks and Deku still blew through those attacks and put the hurt on him. There's no reason he can't blow through any fire attacks Todoroki produces in much the same way he did his ice attacks, even if he's already really good with them because he's already good with his ice powers and was losing regardless. The longer the fight goes on the worse it is for Deku, but Deku has shown the intelligence, desire and power to win as is.

Todoroki was using his ice powers to stop Deku from blowing him out of the arena, remember? He won't be able to do that if he starts throwing fire around.

Getting Todoroki to start using his fire powers might actually be a very smart move on Deku's part
, though that's a bit too cynical to fit with his character.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I like how at the beginning of the tournament everyone was worried it was gonna drag but it's actually provided some of the most interesting moments in the series to date.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Bad Seafood posted:

I like how at the beginning of the tournament everyone was worried it was gonna drag but it's actually provided some of the most interesting moments in the series to date.

Honestly best tournament arc I've read outside of some of the dragonball stuff.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Level Slide posted:

Just caught up, and I honestly don't care who comes out on top of the tournament. I love all of these little shits and anyone who comes out as the victor of the festival will be well won. Unless it's that copycat kid, that dude can jump off a cliff.

Copycat kid tries to copy Deku's power, blows his own arm off.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
I was sure Todoroki would end up being forced to use his fire powers to save someone, not to beat someone up harder.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

sharktamer posted:

I was sure Todoroki would end up being forced to use his fire powers to save someone, not to beat someone up harder.

He's saving himself :zoro:

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

You know, I'm not sure if s'mores ever caught on at Yuuei, but I hope someone tries roasting marshmallows on Todoroki's flame arm. Alternatively, over Endeavor's everything. Also,

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I have this feeling Kouhei has no idea of the implication of the 4/20 thing here in the US and will probably be embarrassed to find out.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
Regardless of whether he meant it or not, somehow Bakugou's birthday being 4/20 just feels fitting.

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008

Fabricated posted:

I have this feeling Kouhei has no idea of the implication of the 4/20 thing here in the US and will probably be embarrassed to find out.

Which are those implications?

Caros
May 14, 2008

papasyhotcakes posted:

It is a drug holiday and/or Hitler's birthday.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

papasyhotcakes posted:

I checked and of course there's a wikipedia article

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/420_%28cannabis_culture%29

Part of me thinks the idea of Kouhei sitting there confused as his twitter stream fills up with images of Bakugou smoking pot and edits of the "420 BLAZE IT human being" meme is hilarious.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
Well, weed would help some of these messed up kids calm down. Or set off some sort of psychotic breakdown after a bad trip, either way, blaze it.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
So this is pretty cool. From the One Piece fan-corner:

Translation para 4chan:

Reader: SBS -- STAR...meh whatever.

Oda: What the hell? ...meh whatever, we'll just begin like this

Now listen up everyone, look here (image)
This was a reader submission into the Usopp Art Gallery back in volume 23.
...aaaannd this (image)
Is the ongoing popular series on Jump called Boku no Hero Academia. See the names?

THEY'RE THE SAME PERSON

If we're talking about volume 23, then that's like 10 years ago. And the kid who was submitting fan art back then is now an accomplished manga artist. He's made it!
And we're running serializations side-by-side in the same magazine! Man this is exciting!
He mentioned this to me himself in the last end-of-the-year party, and I was like "You should've told me sooner, I would've rooted hard for you!"
So anyway, I hope everyone will support BnHA and Horikoshi-sensei!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

That's really cool.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Didn't Horikoshi get interviewed by Kishimoto too? All he needs is a shoutout from Kubo and he's got endorsements from the "big 3".

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Even though Ochako probably wouldn't do that, it's still hilarious.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Whoever is making those captures the art style really well.

Also Uraraka would totally be blazin it on 4/20.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

It turns out Uraraka was Bakugou's real rival all along. :allears:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Bakugou owns incredibly hard

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Everyone in this manga owns incredibly hard.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
According to a friend who can read it, the first one says:
"They really get along, huh..."
"(they don't do this in front of deku)"

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Super nifty.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Oda is the best :3:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I guess that explains All Might's dramatic smoke.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Level Slide posted:

Even though Ochako probably wouldn't do that, it's still hilarious.

This is awesome, does anybody know who's translating these? If found the source, but it's all in Japanese and I really, really want to know what pages like this one and this one are saying.

Also his art really is spot on with the original:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Well now I kinda hope that UA has an end of year dance or something, seems like it could be comedy gold. Just think about anyone asking Bakugou out, or him asking anyone else out. Who would Mineta end up going with? And how many times would Yoyarozou have to turn him down? Would anyone remember to ask the invisible girl out? And would she be disappointed she can't get a picture of herself in a really pretty dress?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I love this thing they have with Uraraka and Bakugou loving hating each other.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

tsob posted:

Well now I kinda hope that UA has an end of year dance or something, seems like it could be comedy gold. Just think about anyone asking Bakugou out, or him asking anyone else out. Who would Mineta end up going with? And how many times would Yoyarozou have to turn him down? Would anyone remember to ask the invisible girl out? And would she be disappointed she can't get a picture of herself in a really pretty dress?

That would actually be a good job for an invisible person. You could be the best clothes model ever! Screw Photoshop, we'll just have the dress worn by thin air!

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

tsob posted:

She puts on makeup and no one recognizes her.
Not even the person who asked her out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

That sounds absolutely terrifying.