Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
The Nektar Panorama always looked like a much better product. I'd probably get one if it supported Ableton the way it supports stuff like Bitwig.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Autolyze posted:

Since there are no multiples in the case, you should make sure to grab a few stackable cables and/or those external Intellijel hubs.

why are stackable cables $9 a pop :negative:

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Mr. Glass posted:

why are stackable cables $9 a pop :negative:

Just get some of these

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
i had assumed those wouldn't work since they're TRS but i guess electrically that doesn't make any sense. should have thought harder about it before ordering the stackcables i guess :homebrew:

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Intellijel hubs are neat and magnetized

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Startyde posted:

Intellijel hubs are neat and magnetized

they're also out of stock everywhere i looked

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Trig Discipline posted:

Hey do any of you have experience with the new Komplete Kontrol keyboards? They look pretty neat but I'm wondering about how they really play.

I have the S49, and I like it a lot, although it's still a synth weighted keybed so you can probably get 90% of the feel for like 50% of the price. It's built like a brick and all of the dials and other buttons feel really good. If you're not in it for the Native Instruments integration and you're actually adept at playing the keyboard so the chord notation lights won't help you, I'd skip it if the price is anything close to a concern.

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Apr 18, 2015

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Startyde posted:

just one fix

Hey, that's me and the loving asr-x pro. It's even the right color. Except it's taken me, like, a year of struggling with it before coming to absolutely despise it. Did you know that unisyn can change all the parameters except the one that tells it to treat user samples as loops or transwaves?

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Sizone posted:

Hey, that's me and the loving asr-x pro. It's even the right color. Except it's taken me, like, a year of struggling with it before coming to absolutely despise it. Did you know that unisyn can change all the parameters except the one that tells it to treat user samples as loops or transwaves?

Speaking of albatross, there's an EPS16 locally for $350 and the dude won't budge and I know it'll be a drunk nostalgia screw after the proverbial class reunion that ends with me sweaty and unfulfilled and it only cost me $20 the first time around but I still woke up thinking about it.
We're all diseased basically.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
hey would anybody be interested in a future retro xs? its a lot of fun, just not fitting into my setup as well as id hoped

pm me

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
There are some downsides to visual programming paradigms, but Patchblocks and I are getting along just fine.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Startyde posted:

Speaking of albatross, there's an EPS16 locally for $350 and the dude won't budge and I know it'll be a drunk nostalgia screw after the proverbial class reunion that ends with me sweaty and unfulfilled and it only cost me $20 the first time around but I still woke up thinking about it.
We're all diseased basically.

Man, get it and get a floppy emulator. The analogy will be even stronger because it won't be a coy young thing that needs a bunch of time and coaxing to load, it'll be wet, ready and accommodating of much larger data blocks.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:

Startyde posted:

just one fix

Oh gawd, this pic.

Despite my Minibrute sitting right next to the modular, I never bothered to see what it actually sounds like with an extra oscillator or two. I was thinking of this right before bed so I wake up early complete with delusions of grandeur. My manic plan was to saw out the keyboard of the Minibrute and build all the control panel into a new case. Then build a new little modular rig attached to it so I essentially have the Brute plus two extra osc a mixer and an 1/4 out back into the brute and basically hide/normal all the CV wires. Of course I'd call it a Megabrute and have the case painted all fancy and write an entire album with this great new amazing synth. It my head it looks like the coolest thing ever and sounded like a Sub 37.

It wasn't until about lunch time I realize it doesn't even sound that good with more oscillators.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

The Cleaner posted:

Oh gawd, this pic.

Despite my Minibrute sitting right next to the modular, I never bothered to see what it actually sounds like with an extra oscillator or two. I was thinking of this right before bed so I wake up early complete with delusions of grandeur. My manic plan was to saw out the keyboard of the Minibrute and build all the control panel into a new case. Then build a new little modular rig attached to it so I essentially have the Brute plus two extra osc a mixer and an 1/4 out back into the brute and basically hide/normal all the CV wires. Of course I'd call it a Megabrute and have the case painted all fancy and write an entire album with this great new amazing synth. It my head it looks like the coolest thing ever and sounded like a Sub 37.

It wasn't until about lunch time I realize it doesn't even sound that good with more oscillators.

man i dunno what you're even talking about my microbrute sounds BEASTLY with a couple extra oscillators*

*and filters and vcas and lfos and a wave shaper and copious delay and reverb

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Quick demo of my Patchblocks sequencer:

https://soundcloud.com/poindexter-frink/sequence-test-2

I've crammed 8 parameters onto 2 buttons and 2 knobs, and the sequence length is configurable. I put zero effort into the actual synth design, it's just Pitch + Detune / Cutoff AD Depth + Resonance / Attack + Decay / Crush Depth + Divider.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Analogue Heaven Midwest Meetup pics from this past weekend:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128532512@N04/sets/72157652053029302/

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Transistor Rhythm posted:

Analogue Heaven Midwest Meetup pics from this past weekend:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128532512@N04/sets/72157652053029302/

What's up with the homemade tonewheel?

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

sliderule posted:

Quick demo of my Patchblocks sequencer:

https://soundcloud.com/poindexter-frink/sequence-test-2

I've crammed 8 parameters onto 2 buttons and 2 knobs, and the sequence length is configurable. I put zero effort into the actual synth design, it's just Pitch + Detune / Cutoff AD Depth + Resonance / Attack + Decay / Crush Depth + Divider.

Nice. I've been thinking on and off about Patchblocks recently. What's your overall impression?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Sizone posted:

What's up with the homemade tonewheel fleshlight?

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

Nice. I've been thinking on and off about Patchblocks recently. What's your overall impression?

Well, there's a lot of crosstalk on the board that affects the knobs and low-level audio. Perhaps a later board revision will solve this, and maybe it already has been solved as I got a first-run board.

10-bit audio has it's own character, and it's take-it-or-leave-it (I'll take it!).

As to the concept and implementation of the patch editor, it's amazing. The editor crashes from time-to-time, and the emulator doesn't display the LED statuses, but it's in Beta so that will change.

Blocks are developed in XML and C so I've been scratching an itch that I haven't in quite some time. C really is my favourite language, and the nature of the blocks promotes reuse, so I get a lot of satisfaction from creating them. Fixed-point math was a learning experience, but I'm in full swing now. It consumes all of my free time.

So if you enjoy circuit design or programming in C, it's a must buy. They're a bit pricey for what they are, but the fact that they have a built-in rechargeable battery really adds value.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Jon Sonnenberg - the genius behind the band Travelogue / https://www.artoftravelogue.com - basically invented a thing that's kind like a talkbox for synths that terminates in a tube that can be outfitted with any number of resonating devices. Among other things, he modeled his own mouth, and I think the tube is a kind of artificial larynx.

He also made that tonewheel oscillator. Ridiculous.

theratking
Jan 18, 2012
Is there a typical go-to introduction polysynth like the mini/microbrute? I love my microbrute but I also love chords. How much can I expect in the $500-1000 used range? It seems like a lot of the models like the blofeld limit polyphony a lot with complex patches (down to as low as 3 notes I think?).

My limited research led me to the blofeld and the sledge. Keyboard is optional. I couldn't imagine needing more than 8-note polyphony unless I'm driving it with MIDI.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

theratking posted:

Is there a typical go-to introduction polysynth like the mini/microbrute? I love my microbrute but I also love chords. How much can I expect in the $500-1000 used range? It seems like a lot of the models like the blofeld limit polyphony a lot with complex patches (down to as low as 3 notes I think?).

My limited research led me to the blofeld and the sledge. Keyboard is optional. I couldn't imagine needing more than 8-note polyphony unless I'm driving it with MIDI.

If you want analogue and would be ok with paraphony instead of polyphony, (multiple oscillators going through 1 filter & amp envelope) the Pulse 2 would probably be great for that and even new is well within your price range.

If you're ok with VA I would say Ultranova, JD-Xi or like you said blofeld.

If you want analogue polyphony with really complex patching options then you're basically confined to either the P08 or p12 desktop which are at least double what you're looking to spend.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Sledge is a slightly gimped Blofeld with a pretty great control surface, I like it. If you're going used keep an eye out for one with the sample license already installed. The "v2.0" firmware adds the features to every Sledge cause the hardware hasn't changed but only new production boards ship with sampling enabled out of the best. Everybody else pays the $99whatever to get it turned on. I think it's worth being able to run your own multisamples through the waldorf engine.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Ultranova/Mininova are in that range, and can do up to about 18 (says 24, but 18 is more realistic) note poly. The density function can cut that down, but you've got 3 oscs per voice + noise before you need to do that.
Dammit I need to get the mod wheel on mine fixed.

theratking
Jan 18, 2012
Hows the workflow with the Ultranova? The knobs on the Sledge seem impossible to beat...

Edit: On second thought, I think the Blofeld Desktop with a separate MIDI controller seems like a better route. I really like knobs.

theratking fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Apr 21, 2015

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

The Ultranova has a pretty understandable layout, but it also has a VST plugin for editing patches. It's got 10 knobs, basicly patch, rotary encoders 1-8 which can be set to adjust parameters when you press the tweak menu, and a big encoder for filter or last touched parameter. So basically what the knobs do is dependent on the menu your in, or whatever you set them to do in tweak mode. They are also touch sensitive, with 8 more options in 'Touch' mode set from the mod matrix or the 6 envelopes. You can't use touch and tweak at the same time but it really lets you give your patches lots of options for live tweaking without having 40 knobs which may or may not be pointed at the right setting.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Also, if you're going to buy a Waldorf synth, consider buying one from Thomann. With the weak Euro, you can get a Pulse 2 shipped to the US for less than $500.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

surrender posted:

Also, if you're going to buy a Waldorf synth, consider buying one from Thomann. With the weak Euro, you can get a Pulse 2 shipped to the US for less than $500.

Quoting for truth.

Note that anything you buy from Thomann will probably have a 230V power supply though. In some cases it's just swapping a cable or sourcing a new wall wart, but in other cases (ex. a Doepfer modular....) you might need a soldering iron to solve it. Do a bit of research first, then :getin:

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

sofullofhate posted:

Quoting for truth.

Note that anything you buy from Thomann will probably have a 230V power supply though. In some cases it's just swapping a cable or sourcing a new wall wart, but in other cases (ex. a Doepfer modular....) you might need a soldering iron to solve it. Do a bit of research first, then :getin:

I haven't bought one yet because I'm still living overseas for work, and the Euro is expected to keep falling, so it should be even cheaper in 6 months

Side note: according to the NI forums, the next (free) Maschine update will include Monark

MASCHINE 2.3 also includes KOMPLETE SELECT – a premium selection of instruments and effects (free for all registered MASCHINE 2 software users):

MASSIVE - definitive synth for basses and leads
MONARK – iconic monophonic syntheisizer
THE GENTLEMAN– vintage upright piano
DRUMLAB – acoustic and electronic drums
REAKTOR PRISM – vibrant modal synth and effects
SCARBEE MARK I – classic electric piano
RETRO MACHINES – vintage analog synth and keyboards
VINTAGE ORGANS – five drawbar legends reborn
WEST AFRICA – polyrhythmic percussion and melodies
SOLID BUS COMP – versatile compressor effect

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Startyde posted:

Sledge is a slightly gimped Blofeld with a pretty great control surface, I like it. If you're going used keep an eye out for one with the sample license already installed. The "v2.0" firmware adds the features to every Sledge cause the hardware hasn't changed but only new production boards ship with sampling enabled out of the best. Everybody else pays the $99whatever to get it turned on. I think it's worth being able to run your own multisamples through the waldorf engine.

Seconding the Sledge - it's DSP but it's great for a surface that really lets you see your patch and play with it directly. If I was looking for a digital polysynth I'd probably grab it; I played with it for a while at a music store and it was a lot of fun for those nice pad sounds.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
You should also be able to get a Nord Lead/Rack 2 or 2X for less than $1,000 on eBay. 16 voices (right?) and 4-part multitimbral, knobby interface.

theratking
Jan 18, 2012
Thanks for the replies all. I'll probably play around in-store before making any final decisions but I'm leaning towards the Ultranova now due to live playability + the vocoder.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
AN1X, Alesis Ion, comedy option: Juno 6.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

ozmunkeh posted:

AN1X, Alesis Ion, comedy option: Juno 6 wavestation.

FTFY

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

That's a funny way to spell Yamaha DX7. I just bought a DX7 IIFD. Help me.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

ozmunkeh posted:

That's a funny way to spell Yamaha DX7.

How's the noise floor?

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

sliderule posted:

How's the noise floor?

If it ever gets here I'll find out. Only USPS knows for sure. Aside from bringing back the 80's it's mostly going to be a controller for my 5U.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
My ASR-X Pro now has an ungodly huge SCSI compact flash drive hanging off it like a parasite. Watch as I continue to throw more good money after bad. Marvel as the cursed asr-x robs me of the last of my sanity, POSSIBLY EVEN MY LIFE.

Will Sizone ever get the transwave flag on a .sou switched on? Will the asr-x fall off a shelf, crushing his skull in his sleep before he does?

Find out in next weeks thrilling episode: Ensoniq rainboom or Ruin and hardware samplers mark their way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Sizone posted:

My ASR-X Pro now has an ungodly huge SCSI compact flash drive hanging off it like a parasite. Watch as I continue to throw more good money after bad. Marvel as the cursed asr-x robs me of the last of my sanity, POSSIBLY EVEN MY LIFE.

Will Sizone ever get the transwave flag on a .sou switched on? Will the asr-x fall off a shelf, crushing his skull in his sleep before he does?

Find out in next weeks thrilling episode: Ensoniq rainboom or Ruin and hardware samplers mark their way.

So how much more money do you have to invest in it before it would have been better to just get an Octatrack?

Also, for little hardware samplers the volca owns. You really can't play anything back pitch wise but for a cool little box that can take any sound and make it into percussion it totally owns.