Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

de la peche posted:

How are people not dying in their droves?! I've had a couple of "whoa gently caress" moments, even on what is essentially a (very nice looking) hairdryer.

FREEEEEDOMMMMM!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Backov posted:

Counterpoint: This carefully designed system produced Count Mootington III.

They changed it to the more rigorous regime in 2013. Now I'm not saying it was *entirely* his fault, but...

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

When I lived in Japan, I was able to get a GSXR750 cheap as dirt because almost no Japanese riders are old or experienced enough to pass the tests beyond 400cc. As a result, there were loads of 2 stroke 250 race bikes everywhere that were just as fast as my 750 :v:

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

de la peche posted:

Oh, fair enough! I'm down in the south-west, don't get any down these parts. I'm kind of late to the motorcycle party, being in my thirties, so I figured buy the 125, wait until I'm 100% confident, then just do the direct access course. It'd cost me £400 to take the L plates off my 125 (through the A2), or £500 to be allowed to ride anything (if I pass). A 125 is a weird power choice, given the speed limit in the UK, it's not quite quick enough for dual carriageways.

The three tests themselves, written, part 1 and part 2, are £25, £15.50 and £75. You don't need to take the intensive courses and if you are riding already then getting a lesson a week from a good instructor for a month can work just as well and will be cheaper.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

SkaAndScreenplays posted:

Hey...Our system weeds out the weak. We're doing natural selection a huge service.

There's a song about that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxEim1Li6ZY

So many squids in Chicago. Tailgating squids.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

I could have taken an $18 test, ridden around the block, and bought a literbike, but i took the MSF instead.

America's long standing tradition of letting the dumb kill themselves in expensive ways continues.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Giblet Plus! posted:

There's a song about that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxEim1Li6ZY

So many squids in Chicago. Tailgating squids.

My sister-in-law is butthurt because I said her husband is an idiot for crashing his bike. How did he crash? He rear ended someone. They won't share anymore details. :jerkbag:

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Down here in Texas when I was getting started, I kept having people tell me, "Oh you don't REALLY need your M endorsement!" Three of the people I have ridden with don't have it.

:airquote: As long as you have insurance you are okay. :airquote:

I am shocked I don't see more red streaks on roads.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Foxtrot_13 posted:

The three tests themselves, written, part 1 and part 2, are £25, £15.50 and £75. You don't need to take the intensive courses and if you are riding already then getting a lesson a week from a good instructor for a month can work just as well and will be cheaper.

Well I didn't know that. Makes sense really, I suppose, I thought maybe it was mandatory to do a set amount of hours in front of an instructor, but then seeing as they all offer different timeframes, that logic fails. Thanks for the tip, much appreciated!

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

nitrogen posted:

Down here in Texas when I was getting started, I kept having people tell me, "Oh you don't REALLY need your M endorsement!" Three of the people I have ridden with don't have it.

When I took the MSF I think 80% of the class had been riding for years without an M endorsement, there were only 2 of us with no motorcycle experience at all. People die in Texas a lot though, I think Austin is averaging more than 1 motorcycle fatality a week since the season started.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Digital_Jesus posted:

I could have taken an $18 test, ridden around the block, and bought a literbike, but i took the MSF instead.

America's long standing tradition of letting the dumb kill themselves in expensive ways continues.

This may be mentioned elsewhere in the thread, so apologies, but what exactly does your MSF entail? It seems crazy to me that someone with literally zero experience could get on a 1000cc machine. And how much does it affect your insurance? I can't believe an insurer would want to go anywhere near a day-one rider on a large bike, it's either going to end up with the bike getting hosed up or the rider, statistically, surely?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

de la peche posted:

This may be mentioned elsewhere in the thread, so apologies, but what exactly does your MSF entail? It seems crazy to me that someone with literally zero experience could get on a 1000cc machine. And how much does it affect your insurance? I can't believe an insurer would want to go anywhere near a day-one rider on a large bike, it's either going to end up with the bike getting hosed up or the rider, statistically, surely?

The MSF is a few hours of watching movies and going over motorcycle safety poo poo in a half assed manner. Then you do around 10 hours of drills in a parking lot. You don't get over 30 mph and while the drills are helpful they aren't that intensive. Parking lot maneuvers, some swerving, riding over an "obstacle" (wooden plank that is shallower than a Midwest pothole), and an emergency stop. The MSF is not mandatory in my state, California. Also I think they just ditched the MSF for a different course, right?

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

nitrogen posted:

I think you can get your bike impounded for that now.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I never took MSF and I passed the DMV test on a 600RR. That sucked, though I think I rode for about four months without a M endorsement.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

M. Night Skymall posted:

People die in Texas a lot though, I think Austin is averaging more than 1 motorcycle fatality a week since the season started.

That sounds INSANELY high. So I went looking for some stats.

Fatality rate, motorcyclists, per 100k registered vehicles, total, Sweden: 5.1

Fatality rate, motorcyclists, per 100k registered vehicles, total, UK: 9.3

Fatality rate, motorcyclists, per 100k registered vehicles, total, NZ: data unavailable (AFAICT), but extrapolating from other data puts NZ at about 17.6.

Fatality rate, motorcyclists, per 100k registered vehicles, total, Texas: 58.63

Welp.

EDIT: I done hosed up a bit. 58.63 is for US avg and Texas has a higher fatality rate overall, but I can't find a specific number for Texas. So 58.63 is probably lower than the actual Texas number. A ballpark guess would put TX at about 63.

Nidhg00670000 fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Apr 18, 2015

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If insurance was mandatory here it'd be a lot lower. Wheeeee.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

de la peche posted:

The MSF, and it's value, is directly related to whoever is instructing your course. It's 4-ish hours on in-classroom training on stuff like controls, road rules, how to ride, etc.

After that it's <30mph drills in a closed course that deals with riding basics. Turning, swerving, running over objects, etc.

It's not going to make you a MotoGP rider when you're done, but it sure as gently caress beats the hell out of taking your round-the-block DMV license test and then spending 6 months trying to figure out even the simplest of basics in traffic.

E: My instructor was fantastic and the class was worth it. If you're in a major metro area where the MSF may as well be the same bike mill as the DMV YMMV. My experience with it was positive and I'm happy I took it. Our coach was also one of the lead instructors for NYS and helps administrate and monitor the program though.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
My MSF instructors asked everyone to come visit them again after they buy their first bike so they could go over the basics again with what you'd be riding on as well as some other pointers they didn't have time to go over during the basic course. CA has since changed programs and I think I'm gonna visit them to see what the new program is like and if there is anything else they might recommend.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Speaking of MSFchat, is the insurance discount that you get for doing the ERC significant? My insurance is unholy, and the ERC is $80 or $100.

e: VVV I don't have one of those.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Apr 19, 2015

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Ask your insurance agent? Mine would be like $40/year if I took it again, so not economical at all.

SGT. Squeaks
Jun 18, 2003

Two men enter, one man leaves. That is the way of the hobotorium!

Nidhg00670000 posted:

That sounds INSANELY high. So I went looking for some stats.

Fatality rate, motorcyclists, per 100k registered vehicles, total, Sweden: 5.1

Fatality rate, motorcyclists, per 100k registered vehicles, total, UK: 9.3

Fatality rate, motorcyclists, per 100k registered vehicles, total, NZ: data unavailable (AFAICT), but extrapolating from other data puts NZ at about 17.6.

Fatality rate, motorcyclists, per 100k registered vehicles, total, Texas: 58.63

Welp.

EDIT: I done hosed up a bit. 58.63 is for US avg and Texas has a higher fatality rate overall, but I can't find a specific number for Texas. So 58.63 is probably lower than the actual Texas number. A ballpark guess would put TX at about 63.

Geez, looked up my state (georgia) and it's higher than the average by a good bit. Oh well.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
All this fatality chat really makes me wish we had a more robust licensing system here in the states... I was contemplating signing up for the ERC the other day, but from I could discern, it was basically the same thing as the MSF and not particularly helpful.

Of course, it doesn't help motivate people to take the MSF when every session is booked solid for the next four months :ohdear:

vv: Check your mailbox, I think the grim reaper may have sent you a letter

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Apr 19, 2015

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

SGT. Squeaks posted:

Geez, looked up my state (georgia) and it's higher than the average by a good bit. Oh well.

i'm not dead yet

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
So i want to sew some patches on my motorcycle jacket (a Tourmaster Sonora) but the problem is, the outer layer and inner layers arent connected.

If I am going to do this, i'd need to split the layers apart to sew them on, then sew it back together.

I'd probably just get a tailor to do it, but are there any specific reasons why this would be a bad idea?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

nitrogen posted:

If I am going to do this, i'd need to split the layers apart to sew them on, then sew it back together.

I can't imagine there would be any issue with that, especially if the inside layer is just a mesh (assuming this jacket is nylon). Just find the nearest seam, and pull it out to get enough clearance to work with. Pin your patch in place, shove it under a sewing machine with a heavy duty needle/polyester thread, and run a straight stitch all the way around. Go back and forth a few stitches to lock it in place. Sew the seam back in place, and you're done! Super simple--no need to get a tailor.

If you don't have a sewing machine, you can pick up a nice one for :10bux: off craigslist or goodwill--it's a really useful skill to learn

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Apr 19, 2015

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
If you have already taken the MSF for sure look up the other classes

but also post here, watch the street smarts videos, read total control etc, and listen to people who have ridden. In my experience the classes were good for the basics but the rest I learned from looking for how to be a better rider and taking that stuff in. Also treat every ride as practice. Every time I go out I try to improve myself and criticize my mistakes

edit: I'll link it for ease. Throwback to the 90s but most of the info is good, out of the whole video there are only a couple things I'd disagree with. I'd call it essential for anyone new to riding

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtG6MRIVtZg

nsaP fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Apr 19, 2015

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

OSU_Matthew posted:

vv: Check your mailbox, I think the grim reaper may have sent you a letter

Someone finally figured out Razzled's cunning plan.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

de la peche posted:

Well I didn't know that. Makes sense really, I suppose, I thought maybe it was mandatory to do a set amount of hours in front of an instructor, but then seeing as they all offer different timeframes, that logic fails. Thanks for the tip, much appreciated!

Make sure it's a good instructor and it's a good route, intensive courses are best for impatient people who are not riding at the moment. I did the longer term route but i had more lessons as i was riding a 125 scooter and not a bike. Going with a good school also means you can get tests at times that are more likely to suite you as they can book test slots themselves.

If all the school offers are intensive courses that's a big warning sign about the quality of the instruction.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

nsaP posted:

but also post here, watch the street smarts videos, read total control etc, and listen to people who have ridden. In my experience the classes were good for the basics but the rest I learned from looking for how to be a better rider and taking that stuff in. Also treat every ride as practice. Every time I go out I try to improve myself and criticize my mistakes

edit: I'll link it for ease. Throwback to the 90s but most of the info is good, out of the whole video there are only a couple things I'd disagree with. I'd call it essential for anyone new to riding

Just curious, what don't you agree with? Only thing I saw in the video was the constant reiterating to only use your front brake.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

nsaP posted:

For books, I thought proficient motorcycling was also very good.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Holy crap there are a lot of motorcycles in SF.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Slavvy posted:

The brit system seems ridiculous and backwards. We used to have 250cc maximum for learner bikes, then anything goes, and we've gone to a power:weight based system that makes much more sense and everyone is happy.

The one aspect which bothers me most is that it's all age restricted with each tier unlocking a higher powered bike, or you can just do the direct access (if you're old enough) to get the whole hog anyway. When with cars you just get your licence with no particulars (unless you opt for a dedicated automatic car licence instead).

So far my 125cc scoot has served me well going into Manchester city center everyday for cheap transport, but yesterday I went out into Macclesfield to shop for a new bike when my GPS was too late on directions and eventually lead me to some hair raising country back roads. Giving it the beans for 50mph tops on hilly dirt roads just barely wide enough for two cars, tight bends, and having ill-tempered Mercedes-benz super cars right on my rear end just doesn't cut it.

I'm swapping out for a Kawasaki Eliminator 125, going to ride that for time, then consider spunking money on training/licencing.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

clutchpuck posted:

YUP! :D

Met some CA goons.

I might be going to the orange side.

loving pricks.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

clutchpuck posted:

My place is in Oakland, man.

Nice hanging out :)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Well, I made a purchase I never thought I would. I bought a 1987 Honda Elite 250.

It popped up on my local scooter scene group on facebook for $100, no title, in pieces, low miles. I chatted a bit with the owner, and a day later I was going to pick it up from him. Its....a bit rough looking, all torn down right now, but most of the major things are there, including, probably most importantly, the body plastics. Its missing some things like the gas tank, one running board, a shock, the rear clutch, some weird things are missing.

As I was talking to the owner, he said he bought it from a friend who owned a motorcycle repair place, with the intention of swapping the motor into his ruckus. He sold his ruckus and the elite sat until he decided to unload it. Previous to him, it sat for a decade outside at the motorcycle repair place, which has ensured that it is nice and grimy. No idea what happened before that.

The weird thing though, is that it has really low mileage, like REALLY low. The PO was misreading the odometer, including the 10ths indicator as a full mile, even with that it would still have low mileage, but when read correctly and through the incredible amount of grime on it, the odometer reads 90.6 miles!

Lets remember that this scooter was just shy of $3000 in 1987 money. That's around $6200 today, so it really makes me wonder what the hell happened to it/the owner that it was essentially left for dead with less than 100 miles on it? I mean, the motor isnt even broken in yet... Maybe I'll figure it out as I go through the thing.

My plan for now is to go through it, take everything off it, clean everything thoroughly and start reassembly. Its still a bit of a mystery to me whether the thing has 90 miles, 100,090 miles if it rolled the odo over, or a new speedo that just got 90 miles of use before the scoot got tossed. I'm really starting to lean towards 90 actual miles however, for a few reasons.

The radiator, no vehicle, especially one capable of 75 mph comes out with a radiator with fins this un-bent after 100,090 miles.

All cobwebs, no bends in the fins.

The tires are also pretty much wear-free, and the body work, while disgusting, is intact and doesnt look too banged up.

I started the teardown and some of the cleaning tonight. Comparison shot of the speedo from earlier to now:

How she sits now.

So, yeah, I dont really know what will come of this project, but for $100, I couldnt pass on the original mega-scooter.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Apr 20, 2015

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That's awesome!

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Z3n posted:

My place is in Oakland, man.

Nice hanging out :)

Was walking around Mission when I posted it.

It's nice to associate some faces with names. Thanks for inviting me up. I'll drop you a line next time I'm down there with the bike and flexible with my time. Looks like some pretty fun roads up above your neighborhood.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Apr 20, 2015

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Do a scooter rat rod with it or something.

Did 50 miles on the 300 saturday and then hopped on the scooter to go get groceries. SO MUCH FUN! I didn't think I'd want to keep the scoot around after getting the Ninja, but tbh it's a totally different ride and still a riot to drive.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

clutchpuck posted:

Was walking around Mission when I posted it.

It's nice to associate some faces with names. Thanks for inviting me up. I'll drop you a line next time I'm down there with the bike and flexible with my time. Looks like some pretty fun roads up above your neighborhood.

Ya I figured, just talking poo poo.

That'd be great - there are many fantastic roads around here, would be fun to bomb around at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Good lord the fuel tank vent on my 300 is chatty. It sounds like a sad dog that wants to go outside.