Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I'm really confused at all this hype for a Mortal Kombat game in 2015, I don't remmeber anyone caring about the last one. Is it good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
MK9 took a lot of people by surprise with how good it was and is basically the thing everybody wanted them to make (tossing out 10+ years of garbage MK bullshit and getting back to the basics)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
yeah MK9 was really loving good and so was Injustice

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I'll be honest I'm not really a fighting game person but I really liked Injustice (or maybe taht's why I liked Injustice? I dunno) so I might give this one a look

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
you're in luck, NRS makes fighting games pretty much specifically for "not really a fighting game people"

e: this is a Good Thing, i'm not really a fighting game person either and pretty much everything outside of NRS stuff is loving impenetrable to me on any kind of deep level

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

If a game makes the FGC mad it's probably good and fun.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Fighting games are fun but people get way too loving mad for no reason if you don't get super into the complex systems for it to be worth playing them. It's better to stick to stuff like Smash Bros that's more of a party game than a fighting game if you wanna play casually.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
MK9 was the first good MK ever.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

corn in the bible posted:

MK9 was the first good MK ever.
This isn't an uncommon opinion.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

MKX is very fun with a buddy. the default input options are garbage turn all three of them to off and the game becomes so much easier to play. combos flow like water (causing you to notice that there is a stamina bar and blocking is a huge part of playing)

My only complaint about it is that the power up meter makes the game a little too monotonous. I'd like more than one xray animation or something like that.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Accordion Man posted:

This isn't an uncommon opinion.

it's a bad opinion though, every MK except for Deadly Alliance, Armageddon and Vs. DC owns

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

1 and 4 do not own at all.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I'll stick to my anime fighting games starring a big buff Queen fan, thank you

(Actually I'm lying, I play BlazBlue more, this is an important side-note)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Sakurazuka posted:

1 and 4 do not own at all.

actually yes they both do

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Mortal Kombat 4 has very good endings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuRFchuKh4k

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
THIS IS NOT A BRUTALITY, THIS IS A FATALITY

*WHOOOGAGAAAAY*

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BYjE9SCU6o8

I didn't buy Mortal Kombat because I suck at fighting games.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Because of my really limited gaming time, I like to only buy the really big budget, AAA games like GTA V, Assassin's Creed, etc. I'm on a PC. What's the best way to keep up with major game releases?

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

blue squares posted:

Because of my really limited gaming time, I like to only buy the really big budget, AAA games like GTA V, Assassin's Creed, etc. I'm on a PC. What's the best way to keep up with major game releases?

Skim the last two pages of the Steam thread once a week or whenever

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFEkirtxb8M

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Even I, a person posting on an internet message board on a Saturday night, am not gonna sit through a 10 minute youtube sight-unseen. Sorry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJkCWQcZYKo

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

i hit ng+ in atelier ayesha and i have no loving clue what to do next. i expected to start this next round with all my stuff but no :( i think i'm supposed to get the best equipment now or something? what the gently caress do i do now

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Sleeveless posted:

Even I, a person posting on an internet message board on a Saturday night, am not gonna sit through a 10 minute youtube sight-unseen. Sorry.

Your loss.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
All fighting games are bad, even the good ones. Except Killer Instinct in the arcade.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Killer instinct is cool because you can be a skeleton man. Not enough games let you play as skeletons, which is a drat shame.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

FRIENDSHIP?!!!

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Dear Games,

Are any of the following games worth buying off PSN at the following prices:

Retro City Rampage, $3.50
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2, $8.00
Prototype 2 Golden Special Edition (???), $19.50

Sincerely,

Wolfsheim

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

I'm the target audience for Retro City Rampage and I found it really disappointing. I'm sure those other games suck too

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Retro City Rampage rules in every way imaginable.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
My biggest concern is that Retro City Rampage will rely on me finding 8-bit graphics and references super wacky; is the actual gameplay good?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Wolfsheim posted:

My biggest concern is that Retro City Rampage will rely on me finding 8-bit graphics and references super wacky; is the actual gameplay good?

Yes. It's really fun and has a lot of varied mini games and powerups to change up the basics of the top down GTA-like.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Ninja Gaiden 2 is good, people hate it because it's not as good as the first one but that doesn't actually mean much because it's still good.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

My favorite touch is the collar popping

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Wolfsheim posted:

no. it's just a game about lovely references, like, whoa, turtles jump out of the sewer and theyre ninjas????!????

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

corn in the bible posted:

no. it's just a game about lovely references, like, whoa, turtles jump out of the sewer and theyre ninjas????!????

But sometimes instead of referencing old video games it'll do references to sick internet memes like Epic Meal Time or just copy the opening heist to The Dark Knight but, get this, instead of The Joker it's The Jester :xd:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

yesterday i went to that opera and then played DK64 when i got home, which means i literally went from hearing an orchestra play and watching some amazing operatic singing in french to firing grapes at a bunch of spinning faces that made matching burp, fart, and clown horn noises. we also went to a greasy spoon in the morning and a nice seafood place before the opera. i am experiencing all the world's delights, and i am as happy as DK getting a gold banana about it.

my bird's review of donkey kong 64 is that he likes it a whole bunch except for the parts that rumble the controller, which scare him.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Ohhhhh banana.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Retro City Rampage is worth 3.50 just for the games in the arcade inside the game

it's like walking through a door and realising it's a window, it's like I'm looking at this bottle of hot sauce and I'm thinking "how hot can it be?"

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

My favorite touch is the collar popping
Thanks. I worked hard on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Wolfsheim posted:

The gameplay is ok, it could have been a pretty good game but the focus was clearly on wacky references first. 3.50 isn't a horrible deal or anything, but there are so many great games that I personally don't ever see the point of playing a decent or mediocre one even if it s cheap.

• Locked thread