Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Carbon dioxide posted:

While your words are technically correct, you're missing an important point.

We do get free orbital velocity if we build an elevator. Just not from the elevator itself.

The whole construction 'sits' on the earth, so it would move along with the earth's spin. If the materials are strong enough, it's stable when it ends in a geostationary orbit. In this case, the further out you go, the faster you are spinning around (still 24 hours per rotation, but the circle gets larger and larger so more actual distance per rotation). At some point the centrifugal effect takes over and it just starts pushing you out faster and faster.

The energy for this comes from the earth's spin. In other words, the rotation of earth will slow down a tiny bit every time someone goes up. The effect would be so small that it wouldn't even be noticable for ages... especially if people come back down, reversing the effect.

Now you also know why these things need to be built on the equator: that's where the surface rotation is the fastest.

By the way, once you have your space elevator built... you can extend the climbing pole a bit beyond geostationary. Put some kind of spaceship on that side of the pole and let it loose. At that distance, the centrifugal effect will actively accelerate it, making it shoot off into space faster and more efficient than any rocket could. Once again by taking some energy from earth's spin.

So it works kind of like a hammer throw but with the earth replacing the large Russian lady?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Good analogy.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Carbon dioxide posted:

Once again by taking some energy from earth's spin.

This just reminds me of that one US politician that thought we would eventually stop the rotation of the planet if we put up too many power-generating wind turbines.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

CampingCarl posted:

If I remember right a lot of the steel for experiments in the LHC are made of german battleships. I thought it even named the ship(s) used but now I can't find the source. I am interested if anyone finds specifics.

It's dark matter experiments that harvest battleship steel due to the low induced background. You're confusing the brass used in the CMS endcaps, which were made from russian navy shells:

http://cms.web.cern.ch/news/using-russian-navy-shells

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Carbon dioxide posted:

Now you also know why these things need to be built on the equator: that's where the surface rotation is the fastest.

Also the equator is the only place you can actually have a geostationary endpoint rendering any other placement moot regardless of any benefits or drawbacks...

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
When I arrived at work on monday I was confused, the access doors for the machines were all open for a centimeter, not by much. Normaly they are closed, just so it's a tiny bit less noisy. The actual reason would be that there are kill-switches in the door so the machine stops if you open them but those were bypassed long time ago so you can service the machine without having to restart them all the time. As I checked I spotted tiny little 'keys' in the inner locks of the doors that prevented the actual door from locking and as I wondered what those were for one of the other guys who worked the weekend explained everything to me.

Somehow a Security Inspector finally showed up and sayed we would get in a lot of trouble if those kill switches were not fixed, so they fixed them... and instantly crafted little plugs you could put in to overwrite them so you could still open the doors without having to shut down the machines with the added benefit that they could be removed instantly if another Inspector would arrived. I love my job.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

My parents were born in the 50's and they talked about handling mercury with their bare hands in school and buying kits that came with vegetable seeds and radioactive pellets to plant with them.

Shoe stores still had these things in them http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoe-fitting_fluoroscope when they were young kids.

From a few pages ago,

RNG fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Apr 19, 2015

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

As I've said many times in this very thread. You don't gently caress with a spinning shaft. Everyone of his chuckle-head colleagues should be happy that they didn't just witness a mans leg twisted off like you'd twist a drumstick off a chicken.

I nearly lost a finger once on a lathe chuck because I forgot to take off my wedding ring. A good reminder to respect the lathe because it sure as hell does not respect you.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

mostlygray posted:

As I've said many times in this very thread. You don't gently caress with a spinning shaft. Everyone of his chuckle-head colleagues should be happy that they didn't just witness a mans leg twisted off like you'd twist a drumstick off a chicken.

I nearly lost a finger once on a lathe chuck because I forgot to take off my wedding ring. A good reminder to respect the lathe because it sure as hell does not respect you.

I didn't notice what he was doing the first time, it looks like he was holding a tool of some sort in or on the headstock, and they just bumped the motor, so that they could do... I don't know. Something?

If it had been RUNNING, he'd be a pegleg, now.

BlancoNino
Apr 26, 2010

MrYenko posted:

I didn't notice what he was doing the first time, it looks like he was holding a tool of some sort in or on the headstock, and they just bumped the motor, so that they could do... I don't know. Something?

If it had been RUNNING, he'd be a pegleg, now.

He's holding a big ole chuck and trying to prove what a strong man he is in a feat of Man vs. Lathe . This is high school stupidity 101 and that guy is lucky his leg wasn't mulched to be a permanent reminder of how dumb he actually is. Imagine explaining to strangers how you lost a leg because you were a moron.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

BlancoNino posted:

He's holding a big ole chuck and trying to prove what a strong man he is in a feat of Man vs. Lathe . This is high school stupidity 101 and that guy is lucky his leg wasn't mulched to be a permanent reminder of how dumb he actually is. Imagine explaining to strangers how you lost a leg because you were a moron.

It's a geared electric motor designed to turn a giant chunk of stock at a couple hundred RPM while a tool-steel cutter removes material from it, without slowing down.

Its a shame it didn't loving kill him and do the gene pool a favor.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

BlancoNino posted:

That's why they call me.....Peg Leg Joe.

*guitar twang*

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

MrYenko posted:

Its a shame it didn't loving kill him and do the gene pool a favor.

BlancoNino posted:

that guy is lucky his leg wasn't mulched to be a permanent reminder of how dumb he actually is.

Goofus and Gallant of GBS.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Re: Space elevator talks, aren't they considering placing the whole thing on a floating platform in international waters? Apparently that makes the whole thing a little more flexible and makes it easier for the materials of the elevator itself to cope with atmospheric shifts and high winds.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

WarpedNaba posted:

Re: Space elevator talks, aren't they considering placing the whole thing on a floating platform in international waters? Apparently that makes the whole thing a little more flexible and makes it easier for the materials of the elevator itself to cope with atmospheric shifts and high winds.

You say that as if a space elevator is being built as we speak

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

A man can dream :(

Subcomputer
Nov 2, 2004

Raskolnikov38 posted:

they harvest steel from pre-1945 shipwrecks for low background steel. The wrecks of the German imperial fleet at Scapa Flow have been providing the bulk of this steel.

Although less OSHA, archaeologists are pretty mad about physicists melting and using lead ingots from Roman and sometimes Greek sunken merchant ships. The physicists want it because much of the crap like Lead-210 has decayed away and there's literally tons of it at much cheaper than what it would take to purify new lead, the archaeologists want it because it's ancient artifacts after all.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
Eh they're ingots. Save one melt the rest.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

WarpedNaba posted:

Sure, and then China builds an island next to the space elevator, claims they've always lived there, and the space elevator is in their territory and belongs to them.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Angela Christine posted:

Sure, and then China builds an island next to the space elevator, claims they've always lived there, and the space elevator is in their territory and belongs to them.

:golfclap: Har de har har.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

mostlygray posted:

Word of advice, don't google for 'lathe accident'. The first image looks like someone dumped a sack of mince on a lathe.

Here's something more light hearted to take your mind of that.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Say Nothing posted:

Word of advice, don't google for 'lathe accident'. The first image looks like someone dumped a sack of mince on a lathe.

Here's something more light hearted to take your mind of that.

Mythbusters showed fairly comprehensively that you can drop a lit cigarette in a puddle of gasoline and it won't ignite. If it's a hot day and there's a lot of fuel vapor and it manages to be at exactly the right mix of air/fuel right when she's taking a drag, there's maybe a tiny chance of igniting it, but not really.

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

Leperflesh posted:

Mythbusters showed fairly comprehensively that you can drop a lit cigarette in a puddle of gasoline and it won't ignite. If it's a hot day and there's a lot of fuel vapor and it manages to be at exactly the right mix of air/fuel right when she's taking a drag, there's maybe a tiny chance of igniting it, but not really.

Last week I was filling up my car and talking on my phone at the same time when the guy inside shut off the pump. I didn't know if it was broken or shut off so I went into the store to ask and he said he shut it off because he was worried a spark caused by my phone might ignite the fuel vapour.

I'm upset that mythbusters didn't test this theory when they tested the cigarette myth because now I have no way of knowing whether using my phone while filling up could kill me :(

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.
Space Elevator question... what is this thing made of and how is it anchored? Here's my first guess... about a billion high tension cables... like what holds up suspension bridges but alot more of them. Does it end up being a "single" cable 50 feet in diameter? 50 yards in dia.? Then what kind of contraption climbs this thing?

How could it be on a floating platform? Or is the cable anchored in bedrock and tons of concrete and just the station is floating in the ocean?

How does this get built? Off the top of my head.... build a space station first and then haul the cables up into space and drop them to earth from the space station? I see this taking a rocket launch every week for like ten years.

I know I could just google this... but throwing crazy ideas out there and having smarter people than I shoot them down is funner.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

FrankeeFrankFrank posted:

Space Elevator question... what is this thing made of and how is it anchored? Here's my first guess... about a billion high tension cables... like what holds up suspension bridges but alot more of them. Does it end up being a "single" cable 50 feet in diameter? 50 yards in dia.? Then what kind of contraption climbs this thing?

How could it be on a floating platform? Or is the cable anchored in bedrock and tons of concrete and just the station is floating in the ocean?

Imagine cleaning the windows in the ten-mile-high observation lounge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voiHvPbLUvI

WarpedNaba posted:

Great, so some Somali pirate will get to see space before I do. :mad:

LLCoolJD fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Apr 19, 2015

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Serrath posted:

I'm upset that mythbusters didn't test this theory when they tested the cigarette myth because now I have no way of knowing whether using my phone while filling up could kill me :(

They tackled that myth on like their second episode ever.

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
Invent a way to weave thousands of miles of buckycable, put the anchor in Ecuador since they seem nice & near Panama canal, and hope the terrorists don't gently caress it up.

Also saw someone who left the fuel nozzle on and walked away from their POS car which leaked gallons of gas.
Situation contained but a flicked cig butt...

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Improbable Lobster posted:

You say that as if a space elevator is being built as we speak

You say that as if a space elevator doesn't have to be 70,000 kilometres long.

They will never build one because, aside from all the engineering and costs and politics and everything else, if it ever failed you would have 35,000km of the strongest material ever made by humanity crashing down upon the planet at several kilometres a second. Like several billion tonnes of whip, wrapping itself around the entire planet and killing countless people.

We can't even build a bridge more than a few kilometres long and not even across open ocean, but I'm supposed to believe we will one day build a bridge 70,000km straight up?

Serrath posted:

Last week I was filling up my car and talking on my phone at the same time when the guy inside shut off the pump. I didn't know if it was broken or shut off so I went into the store to ask and he said he shut it off because he was worried a spark caused by my phone might ignite the fuel vapour.

If you're in Australia, it's actually federal law that no unshielded electrical device can be used at a refuelling station. Within 5m of a bowser at any time and within 8m of one dispensing fuel.

Well, unless the elctrical device is classified as intrinsically safe, a category which wholly excludes rf and microwave emitters/receivers.

Honestly though, the biggest risk with phones is people being so distracted that they do something stupid. But as long the law's in place, the chumps behind the counter are obliged to switch off the pump.

Of course, given the lovely training most places have (and lovely staff), they just tell them phones=fire and leave it at that.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Apr 19, 2015

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

FrankeeFrankFrank posted:

It's made of unobtanium, because we haven't invented anything yet that can handle the tension while being light enough.

The "cable" actually ideally should taper. The design ideally puts the "center of gravity" of the cable at geosynchronous orbit, with a counterweight past the center to balance the weight of the cable that drops to earth. If you do that, it turns out the highest tension is right at the geostationary position. the tension drops off as you go down the cable. So, the strongest point would presumably be the thickest, right at gso.

Speculations for materials include carbon and diamond nanotubes, but nobodys made them more than like an inch long or something, and they need to be tens of thousands of miles long instead.

quote:

The bottom of the cable only needs to be anchored well enough to keep it from swaying around from the wind, assuming the whole thing is balanced well enough. Putting it over the ocean is kind of dumb though, you'd anchor it somewhere you can more easily generate power, load and unload cargo, and protect the whole thing from terrorists.

quote:

How does this get built? Off the top of my head.... build a space station first and then haul the cables up into space and drop them to earth from the space station? I see this taking a rocket launch every week for like ten years.

Probably build it in space, and then somehow drop it into place without accidentally dropping the whole thing onto the surface and wasting billions while also causing a massive disaster area on the ground.

You might be interested in reading the Mars books by Kim Stanley Robinson - Red Mars, Green Mars, Blue Mars. They build a space elevator on Mars, called "the beanstalk," and a lot of the problems inherent with them are explored. A really big one is, what do you do to protect such an incredibly attractive target?

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

You might be interested in reading the Mars books by Kim Stanley Robinson - Red Mars, Green Mars, Blue Mars. They build a space elevator on Mars, called "the beanstalk," and a lot of the problems inherent with them are explored. A really big one is, what do you do to protect such an incredibly attractive target?

Fountains of Paradise is another good book about the construction of a Space Elevator. Plus it was written by Arthur C. Clarke, who was an actual factual science person.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Serrath posted:

Dont stare too hard at the gas pump situation. If regulatory agencies were going to be totally consistent about gas pumps, we'd need far more instruction and/or turning every state into Oregon and New Jersey. Pumping an explosion capable carcinogen into your car is the closest most people will ever get to be to a chemical plant operator.

Gorilla Salad posted:

If you're in Australia, it's actually federal law that no unshielded electrical device can be used at a refuelling station. Within 5m of a bowser at any time and within 8m of one dispensing fuel.

Well, unless the elctrical device is classified as intrinsically safe, a category which wholly excludes rf and microwave emitters/receivers.

Honestly though, the biggest risk with phones is people being so distracted that they do something stupid. But as long the law's in place, the chumps behind the counter are obliged to switch off the pump.

Of course, given the lovely training most places have (and lovely staff), they just tell them phones=fire and leave it at that.
Unless Australis is being particularly strict about intrinsically safe there are intrinsically safe cell phones. Hope you like paying smart phone prices for a feature phone. Not because of any sort of fancy technology: the data collection going into certification is pretty intense.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Gorilla Salad posted:

They will never build one because, aside from all the engineering and costs and politics and everything else, if it ever failed you would have 35,000km of the strongest material ever made by humanity crashing down upon the planet at several kilometres a second. Like several billion tonnes of whip, wrapping itself around the entire planet and killing countless people.

We can't even build a bridge more than a few kilometres long and not even across open ocean, but I'm supposed to believe we will one day build a bridge 70,000km straight up?

B-b-b-but it's in my sci fi novels! It has to happen!!!!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

zedprime posted:

Dont stare too hard at the gas pump situation. If regulatory agencies were going to be totally consistent about gas pumps, we'd need far more instruction and/or turning every state into Oregon and New Jersey. Pumping an explosion capable carcinogen into your car is the closest most people will ever get to be to a chemical plant operator.

Unless Australis is being particularly strict about intrinsically safe there are intrinsically safe cell phones. Hope you like paying smart phone prices for a feature phone. Not because of any sort of fancy technology: the data collection going into certification is pretty intense.

Ohh, I just learned something. I should have known there would be $$$ industry phones that you could use.

Probably the size of a brick with that chunky plastic "ruggedized" crap all over them.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Gorilla Salad posted:

So do people have to rip out their car stereos and then put them and their cell phones in a mailbox at the entrance to every gas station?

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Gorilla Salad posted:

But if you put the center of mass slightly beyond geostationary orbit, you can just cut the link to the surface if there's a problem on the line and float away! :haw:

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Serrath posted:

In europe, a gas station is technically a atex/ex area and I can easily see someone new on the job just covering his rear end. There's probably something similar in the US as well.

psychic chasms
Oct 23, 2012

SCREWED UP CLICK TILL THEY LAY ME IN MY CASKET
reading the various osha threads on SA has given me a weird interest in occupational safety. Are there any sorta-readable books on like, the history of OSHA or maybe just the history of workplace safety as it relates to American labor? somebody hook me up

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Leperflesh posted:

I would have thought, perhaps naively, that if you're filling your fuel tank then it probably contains a lot more vapour than fuel, and putting more liquid in it would be pushing vapour out at you. Is it lighter or heavier than air?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Gromit posted:

I would have thought, perhaps naively, that if you're filling your fuel tank then it probably contains a lot more vapour than fuel, and putting more liquid in it would be pushing vapour out at you. Is it lighter or heavier than air?

Most nozzles have a vapor capture device for exactly this reason, because gasoline vapor is an environmental pollutant. Your tank also has a tube running to a charcoal-filled cannister specifically designed to capture vapor as the pressure in your tank changes, such as when it gets warmer.

I don't know if it's lighter than air, but you have to hit what's called the stochiometric point, the correct dilution of gas with oxygen, before it burns explosively.

I'm not saying smoking next to your car while you fill it up is a great idea; only that the hollywood impression of how explosive liquid gasoline is, and how easily cars blow up at the slightest provocation, is ridiculously inaccurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Leperflesh posted:

I don't know if it's lighter than air, but you have to hit what's called the stochiometric point, the correct dilution of gas with oxygen, before it burns explosively.

Gasoline vapors are heavier than air, which is why you wouldn't want to do this with gasoline:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7157ZAhN7gg&t=1570s

• Locked thread