Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Chokes McGee posted:

this anime sucks, cowboy bebop was better

I'm hoping for an Evangelion future. Quick and painless, like ripping off a bandaid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braking Gnus
Oct 13, 2012

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Wait, what is he saying.

Is he saying we will all die in 20 months, alone and unloved?

He's saying unless a Calvinist joins the race its going to be boring and lifeless.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Best part of school lunches for me was tons of other kids didnt finish, and would leave untouched food on their trays for me to scavange :unsmith: being poor sucks.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I still remember the weekly school lunch menu cycle.

Monday: pizza, but on a hamburger bun
Tuesday: breaded meat chunks, mashed potatoes and gravy (yellow or brown)
Weds: pasta, usually "spaghetti"
Thurs: whichever color gravy we didn't get Tues
Fri: square pizza

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the night, “There’s nothing more honorable than serving one’s country and there’s no greater heroes to our country than our military, but I might suggest to parents, I’d wait a couple of years until we get a new commander-in-chief that will once again believe ‘one nation under god’ and believe that people of faith should be a vital part of the process of not only governing this country, but defending this country.” ~ Mike Huckabee

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
conch fritters

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

conch fritters

my school had them and was Cool and Good

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Joementum posted:

Quote of the night, “There’s nothing more honorable than serving one’s country and there’s no greater heroes to our country than our military, but I might suggest to parents, I’d wait a couple of years until we get a new commander-in-chief that will once again believe ‘one nation under god’ and believe that people of faith should be a vital part of the process of not only governing this country, but defending this country.” ~ Mike Huckabee

"But after we're elected, yeah, definitely sign your kids up for the military, cuz we're gonna need all the soldiers we can get for the wars we've got planned."

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

When he says 'defend' he really means 'expand through endless wars of conquest'. This is basic stuff

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Nobody had chicken a la king? I was a happy loving camper on those days. But jello with pieces of fruit suspended inside was my enemy. In retrospect these meals are all sounding rather balanced and substantial.

Also my favorite part of the Ron Paul blimp was when there was some issue with funding or permits or whatever and it looked like it wasn't going to happen. The Paul forums had a not insignificant contingent who were like "THEY'RE KEEPING THE BLIMP FROM US, THIS IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN ANY ONE MAN OR BUSINESS. SEIZE THE BLIMP"

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

skaboomizzy posted:

I think mine was

Monday: hotdogs
Tuesday: tacos
Wednesday: hamburgers with chocolate milk
Thursday: sloppy joes, and burritos in a bag
Friday: pizza day! (The best day of the week)

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Karnegal posted:

Well as my grandmother talks about it, during her years in the cafeteria food was cooked from scratch. Whereas when I was in school it seemed that food prep was largely heating.

When the Feds became involved in unfunded school lunch mandates, that's when. I blame Nixon.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

Even if I weren't liberal, this would deeply offend me. For gently caress's sake.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

skaboomizzy posted:

Monday: pizza, but on a hamburger bun
Tuesday: breaded meat chunks, mashed potatoes and gravy (yellow or brown)
Weds: pasta, usually "spaghetti"
Thurs: whichever color gravy we didn't get Tues
Fri: square pizza

Any school that doesn't deserve the sanctity of Taco Tuesday deserves destruction.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Mantis42 posted:

Any school that doesn't deserve the sanctity of Taco Tuesday deserves destruction.

Lego Movie has ruined taco tuesday

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

site posted:

Lego Movie has ruined taco tuesday

Good thing President Business is running in 2016.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

A Winner is Jew posted:

CEO's don't loving risk a god drat thing and don't have anything happen to them if they gently caress up and tank a company.

poo poo man, the worse you run a company into the ground the more you're likely to get loving paid as a CEO.

Catching up with the thread (and scrolling furiously). But here's an article along the same lines.

quote:

These reforms were all well-intentioned. But their effect on the general level of C.E.O. salaries has been approximately zero. Executive compensation dipped during the financial crisis, but it has risen briskly since, and is now higher than it’s ever been. Median C.E.O. pay among companies in the S. & P. 500 was $10.5 million in 2013; total compensation is up more than seven hundred per cent since the late seventies. There’s little doubt that the data for 2014, once compiled, will show that C.E.O. compensation has risen yet again. And shareholders, it turns out, rather than balking at big pay packages, approve most of them by margins that would satisfy your average tinpot dictator. Last year, all but two per cent of compensation packages got majority approval, and seventy-four per cent of them received more than ninety per cent approval.

quote:

At root, the unstoppable rise of C.E.O. pay involves an ideological shift. Just about everyone involved now assumes that talent is rarer than ever, and that only outsize rewards can lure suitable candidates and insure stellar performance. Yet the evidence for these propositions is sketchy at best, as Michael Dorff, a professor of corporate law at Southwestern Law School, shows in his new book, “Indispensable and Other Myths.” Dorff told me that, with large, established companies, “it’s very hard to show that picking one well-qualified C.E.O. over another has a major impact on corporate performance.” Indeed, a major study by the economists Xavier Gabaix and Augustin Landier, who happen to believe that current compensation levels are economically efficient, found that if the company with the two-hundred-and-fiftieth-most-talented C.E.O. suddenly managed to hire the most talented C.E.O. its value would increase by a mere 0.016 per cent.

Dorff also makes a persuasive case that performance pay is overrated. For a start, it’s often tied to things that C.E.O.s have very limited control over, like stock price. Furthermore, as he put it, “performance pay works great for mechanical tasks like soldering a circuit but works poorly for tasks that are deeply analytic or creative.” After all, paying someone ten million dollars isn’t going to make that person more creative or smarter. One recent study, by Philippe Jacquart and J. Scott Armstrong, puts it bluntly: “Higher pay fails to promote better performance.”

So the situation is a strange one. The evidence suggests that paying a C.E.O. less won’t dent the bottom line, and can even boost it. Yet the failure of say-on-pay suggests that shareholders and boards genuinely believe that outsized C.E.O. remuneration holds the key to corporate success. Some of this can be put down to the powerful mystique of a few truly transformative C.E.O.s (like Steve Jobs, at Apple). But, more fundamentally, there’s little economic pressure to change: big as the amounts involved are, they tend to be dwarfed by today’s corporate profits. Big companies now have such gargantuan market caps that a small increase in performance is worth billions. So whether or not the people who sit on compensation committees can accurately predict C.E.O. performance—Dorff argues that they can’t—they’re happy to spend an extra five or ten million dollars in order to get the person they want. That means C.E.O. pay is likely to keep going in only one direction: up.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/04/20/why-c-e-o-pay-reform-failed

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

VikingofRock posted:

I think mine was

gently caress you this song finally fell out of my head 10 years ago

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

gently caress you this song finally fell out of my head 10 years ago

I had no clue the Aquabats were a semi-successful band. I thought they were some garage band that got spots on Yo Gabba Gabba because the lead singer was the show's co-creator or something. :aaa:

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

VikingofRock posted:

I think mine was

Haha I'm glad I didn't have to make the reference but the minute people started talking about school lunches that song plays non stop in my head.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

tsa posted:

But you're a loving idiot if you think you can have healthy tasty lunches for the same price as a pizza and fries.

Well, if the cooks actually cook, I bet we can. Potatoes, rice, beans, cabbage, etc.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Accretionist posted:

Well, if the cooks actually cook, I bet we can. Potatoes, rice, beans, cabbage, etc.

Just making food taste terrible does not make it healthy, and definitely doesn't make it tasty. (Cabbage, really? Are you a stereotype Russian peasant?)

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Accretionist posted:

I dunno how many lunch ladies schools hire anymore, but I be it's as few as they can get away with; too few to do proper cooking for that many people.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Samurai Sanders posted:

I dunno how many lunch ladies schools hire anymore, but I be it's as few as they can get away with; too few to do proper cooking for that many people.

Use child labor to supplement.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

Just making food taste terrible does not make it healthy, and definitely doesn't make it tasty. (Cabbage, really? Are you a stereotype Russian peasant?)

What!? All of this is the opposite of true. Potatoes, rice, beans and cabbage are all both healthy and tasty.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, but that makes staff the limiting factor rather than the healthy/unhealthy food cost differential. We just need to get private sector inefficiency and meddling out of the way.

Edit:

My Imaginary GF posted:

People've been saying we need more vocational high schools

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Apr 19, 2015

That Irish Gal
Jul 8, 2012

Your existence amounts to nothing more than a goldfish swimming upriver.

PS: We are all actually cats

Nintendo Kid posted:

No wonder you have such lovely political opinions, you can't even figure out how to make cabbage absolutely loving delicious.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

That Irish Guy posted:

No wonder you have such lovely political opinions, you can't even figure out how to make cabbage absolutely loving delicious.

Yeah, don't use it at all, because it's trash. Broccoli and Cauliflower are the far superior varieties of that plant.

Accretionist posted:

What!? All of this is the opposite of true. Potatoes, rice, beans and cabbage are all both healthy and tasty.

No, they're not inherently healthy, and they're usually quite bland. Rice, beans and potatoes in particularly bland.

They can keep you from dying of total malnutrition on a restricted budget, that don't make them healthy.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

My Imaginary GF posted:

Calm down Newt Gingrich.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Calm down Newt Gingrich.
Actually, I do remember helping out in the cafeteria a few times in elementary school, with the rest of my class. I don't know why though.

Over in Japan, food for elementary school is prepared off-site (actually cooked and good, this is not-America we are talking about after all) and then brought in in the middle of the day still hot, and served by students every day.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Actually, I do remember helping out in the cafeteria a few times in elementary school, with the rest of my class. I don't know why though.

Over in Japan, food for elementary school is prepared off-site (actually cooked and good, this is not-America we are talking about after all) and then brought in in the middle of the day still hot, and served by students every day.

But they eat gross, unhealthy rice with all their meals (like most of the world).

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

No, they're not inherently healthy, and they're usually quite bland. Rice, beans and potatoes in particularly bland.

They can keep you from dying of total malnutrition on a restricted budget, that don't make them healthy.

What the gently caress do you even mean by healthy?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Accretionist posted:

What the gently caress do you even mean by healthy?

It certainly wouldn't be more healthy than pizza or corn, or potatoes prepared a way you have a problem with.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Yeah, don't use it at all, because it's trash. Broccoli and Cauliflower are the far superior varieties of that plant.

So what if its not soylent green then its inferior in both taste and nutrients? You have to be completely incapable of cooking if you can't find a way to make any of those taste good.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Azuth0667 posted:

So what if its not soylent green then its inferior in both taste and nutrients? You have to be completely incapable of cooking if you can't find a way to make any of those taste good.

Uh, cabbage tastes like rear end, sorry.

Cooking them to taste good usually involves doing the same things that apparently make people think pizza and fries are evil unhealthy things that need to be replaced. Also you typically don't eat just a bunch of loving starch you also add some drat dairy or meat.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

It certainly wouldn't be more healthy than pizza or corn, or potatoes prepared a way you have a problem with.

I don't think you've ever looked at a nutritional label in your life.

P.S. Potatoes have a great profile and you can season* them with practically anything.

* Reminder: Seasoning exists.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Accretionist posted:

I don't think you've ever looked at a nutritional label in your life.

I have. You need to, and you also need to take a nutrition course.

Accretionist posted:

P.S. Potatoes have a great profile and you can season* them with practically anything.

Or you can not buy literally the cheapest bland foods possible and try to cover it up with seasonings, instead actually having variety in foods.

Pegged Lamb
Nov 5, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Beans are inherently nutritious and short of a bowl of just navy beans or just garbanzo beans you're a picky brat if you can't put up with eating them

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Add me to the list of people who doesn't even know what good and healthy food means anymore from reading this discussion.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Nintendo Kid posted:

I have. You need to, and you also need to take a nutrition course.

Or you can not buy literally the cheapest bland foods possible and try to cover it up with seasonings, instead actually having variety in foods.

I teach a nutrition course, you are objectively wrong in pretty much everything you've said here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

I had a anatomy prof who claimed potatoes, peas, carrots, fruits is not good beyond small portions. Is that claim sorta what you mean here?

I like potatoes! But not Walker.

• Locked thread