Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Oh yeah, I dunno what game I was getting that mixed up with. Resonance should basically be the go-to for how to design an 'anime' game that still looks realistic and doesn't have realdolls for party members.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The anime faces in SO5 look less offensive than whatever the hell is going on with Xenoblade Chronicles X, though I'd be willing to bet good money that the latter ended up being the better game.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Endorph posted:

except their outfits and color schemes and every other part of design except general body type

and 'teenage boy in decent shape' isn't really a symptom that's unique to star ocean

i'm talking about what their character design communicates, in this case particularly with regards to facial features. add edge maverick to that list. the difference is that he has blonde hair.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

So I think I'm finally going to play Star Ocean 2. Should I have Claude or Rena as the main character or does it not matter that much?

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

TARDISman posted:

So I think I'm finally going to play Star Ocean 2. Should I have Claude or Rena as the main character or does it not matter that much?

Claude feels more like the main character, and probably better for a first time play through. Think he has the better optional characters too.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Sakurazuka posted:

The anime faces in SO5 look less offensive than whatever the hell is going on with Xenoblade Chronicles X, though I'd be willing to bet good money that the latter ended up being the better game.
The people behind the models are the same people responsible for Xenosaga, iirc, which explains why they look...the way they do. Shame.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

TARDISman posted:

certain parts make it kind of obvious claude was written to be the main character.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Leper Residue posted:

Claude feels more like the main character, and probably better for a first time play through. Think he has the better optional characters too.

Rena gets Dias, Claude gets Leon. I think Dias is a better optional character since spell animations get quite lengthy later in the game.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

TARDISman posted:

It matters less in the PSP version but Claude gets the best mage in the game while Rena picks up the worst melee dude in the game. I don't think anything else changes significantly between the 2 of them. Note that "best mage" is useless in the PSP version and only useful on PSX if you read up on some really obscure mechanics.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

I think Claude also has better pickpocket options when doing the private actions, doesn't he?

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

leon is at least good at item creation, and not the typical 'anime swordsmaster'

e: oh yeah. there are some badass items only claude can pickpocket. don't really think there's an equivalent for rena.

GulagDolls fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Apr 19, 2015

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I think playing as Rena might lock you out of Claude's best weapon. Not that you'd ever figure out how to make it without a guide.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

nah, you can get it as rena.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

if you do plan on pickpocketing make sure to keep restarting until your main has the dexterous(or was it called nimble fingers?) trait at the start or don't even bother.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

dexterity. claude also has a higher chance to start with it.

pickpocketing is kind of cool but there are like 8 people in the game with things worth stealing.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Roobanguy posted:

if you do plan on pickpocketing make sure to keep restarting until your main has the dexterous(or was it called nimble fingers?) trait at the start or don't even bother.

Yeah, have fun with this. It took me like a dozen or so tries before I got it.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Both characters can get Ashton I think, so flip a coin. Ashton owns.

What kind of gameplay changes did the PSP version make, anyway? I thought it was just a straight port of the original with some new godawful character portraits.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Delsaber posted:

Both characters can get Ashton I think, so flip a coin. Ashton owns.

What kind of gameplay changes did the PSP version make, anyway? I thought it was just a straight port of the original with some new godawful character portraits.

Unskippable even worse than PSX voice acting for 90% of all dialog. Every character has a 3 hit normal combo that invalidates the majority of killer moves. The second best shield in the game is now an accessory, insane evasion and all. Welch exists as a (terrible) playable character. I quit about then. I think they removed the goofy morphing 3d model effect from item creation. Oh, an they removed spell combining.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I refuse to believe the voice acting could be worse than the PSX. That game had probably the second most awful voice work I had ever heard. THIS IS BAD, HERE'S THE ENEMY! PEAR INTO PEACHES!

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

they made rena look like shes 12 in the psp version which is weird.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Infinity Gaia posted:

I refuse to believe the voice acting could be worse than the PSX. That game had probably the second most awful voice work I had ever heard. THIS IS BAD, HERE'S THE ENEMY! PEAR INTO PEACHES!

I think the ubiquity of the new zero effort voice acting beats out the former's comically low sample rate and equal lack of effort. It used to only be for battle quips, now it's every line of dialog and you can't skip it.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Leper Residue posted:

Yeah, have fun with this. It took me like a dozen or so tries before I got it.

he has a fifty percent chance to start with it so you got boned hardcore

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

dis astranagant posted:

I think the ubiquity of the new zero effort voice acting beats out the former's comically low sample rate and equal lack of effort. It used to only be for battle quips, now it's every line of dialog and you can't skip it.

Okay, that does sound pretty bad. At least the PSP version of Star Ocean 1 is fine, even if they did shoehorn in Welch because ???

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

welch is just, such a good character. almost as good as lightning. hope she's in 5

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mill Village posted:

I think the 3D Star Ocean games have issues with character models, but their other games do not. Games like Valkyrie Profile 2, Resonance of Fate, and Radiata Stories have much better character models.

As an aside, Radiata Stories has excellent character design. If took every character and masked them as a silhouette I'd be able to tell who they were at a glance. Out of all the games that needs a comeback it's this, such a conceptually neat game that's really a chore to play. I always describe it to people as rear end in a top hat Suikoden because Jack Russell gives no fucks about destroying the world, he just wants to adventure and have fun.

Roobanguy posted:

they made rena look like shes 12 in the psp version which is weird.

I don't know if it's a trend or if there's a word to describe it but it's just a result of simplification and roundness in features that anime has been leaning on for the past 10 or so years. Just compare her original character art to the anime and then to PSP version. She is 99% the same character just with all hard edges removed

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
well that's somewhere around 80 points

craude has advanced forward

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCvnUeXUHZE

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I don't remember all the ridiculous clipping. Maybe that's on the uploader's end.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Tear into pieces. :geno:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"Unexpected Weak" is the one that's burned into my brain.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
So PSP version of SO 1, and PSX version of SO 2, play half of 3, skip 4, and pray 5 is good.

I assume this is the order that I should play the games?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
What's wrong with the PSP version of SO2?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What's wrong with the PSP version of SO2?

See my posts above.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

RadicalR posted:

So PSP version of SO 1, and PSX version of SO 2, play half of 3, skip 4, and pray 5 is good.

I assume this is the order that I should play the games?

I'd skip 3 as well. Even if you're limiting yourself to the first half, it's still a fuckin' ponderous experience that struggles to develop a single character or make its world feel even slightly interesting.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
So as everyone know the best RPG is Suikoden 2, and it's really quite sad that we got such a buggy localization of it.

I have linked this fellow before, but it appears that he has released another patch that fixes some more game-crashing bugs.

http://suikosource.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12441

Seriously, Suikoden 2 was all kinds of hosed up. Also, he also does little write ups for the nerds that likes a peak behind the curtain of the game.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Delsaber posted:

I'd skip 3 as well. Even if you're limiting yourself to the first half, it's still a fuckin' ponderous experience that struggles to develop a single character or make its world feel even slightly interesting.

Might as well play all of 3. It's decent fun til the point where it expects you to start abusing the crafting system and then you get to curbstomp it til postgame.

Food Guy
Oct 10, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

Actually you can skip the dialog, there's an option for it in settings. The only time you can't is during the very beginning of the game until you get to pull up the menu, which admittedly is still a slog to get through.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

TARDISman posted:

Claude is the better main character not because he's a dude or he's the fighter or more futuristic or whatever, but because starting on disc 2, Rena gets to sit through an extra couple hours of unskippable dialogue that boils down to, "In the end, we don't have a clue! :downs:"

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Food Guy posted:

Actually you can skip the dialog, there's an option for it in settings. The only time you can't is during the very beginning of the game until you get to pull up the menu, which admittedly is still a slog to get through.

I played clear to the Lacour checkpoint not knowing that and having to wait through every voice clip :smithicide:

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

the psp star ocean games added a 3 hit combo on normal attacks that are better than the majority of your arts, which is a bummer. of course the only other way to play so1 is on snes with a translation patch that is horribly buggy so thats just something you have to deal with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Special moves that get bigger and better when you use them are my jam, and so2 had some great examples. In fact, that is pretty much what distinguishes tales games I like from those I don't (sorry, vesperia).