Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Dewgy posted:

So I just dropped ten bucks on W:O1 on PSN not realizing it was a PS2 classic since I got the code via Amazon... and I already have the disc. :saddowns:

Since I'm apparently frigging collecting this game now, is there any appreciable difference in the 360 version or should I just suck it up and play what I bought?

I have purchased every Orochi game multiple times for *reasons*. The main difference is widescreen and achievements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

littleorv posted:

I've played Dynasty Warriors 8 before but yeah you're right this isn't the type of game I need to pay close attention to enjoy. It's all Japanese VA right?

Yeah. KOEI only dubs the mainline Dynasty series nowadays (and even then only sometimes.)

Japanese voices usually annoy me, but thankfully the series is mostly free of the archetypes that grate (mostly the really high-ptiched female voices. There's not enough of them to annoy me in Samurai and Dynasty at least.)

And the plot of Orochi 3 is crazy time travel shenanigans. All you need to know is Nobunaga has a big demon army that travels through time and your heroes have gained the same power. It's all an excuse for fantastical twists on the scenarios from the other games.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah. KOEI only dubs the mainline Dynasty series nowadays (and even then only sometimes.)

Japanese voices usually annoy me, but thankfully the series is mostly free of the archetypes that grate (mostly the really high-ptiched female voices. There's not enough of them to annoy me in Samurai and Dynasty at least.)

And the plot of Orochi 3 is crazy time travel shenanigans. All you need to know is Nobunaga has a big demon army that travels through time and your heroes have gained the same power. It's all an excuse for fantastical twists on the scenarios from the other games.

Sounds pretty decent, wish my PS4 would download it faster because the plot sounds like ridiculous fun. Japanese voices aren't really a problem because I watch and enjoy subbed anime I was just wondering.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

littleorv posted:

Sounds pretty decent, wish my PS4 would download it faster because the plot sounds like ridiculous fun. Japanese voices aren't really a problem because I watch and enjoy subbed anime I was just wondering.

I feel your pain, I'm at 23% :(

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Dewgy posted:

I got a big-rear end TV so HD is tempting, but that's good to know. Thanks! Maybe I'll keep my eyes peeled for a cheap copy somewhere if I get into the classics version.

Generally I would say if you don't have them on PS2 right this instant there's no reason not to get the 360 versions of the Warriors games. There's Orochi 1 and 2, Dynasty Empires 5, and Samurai 2/Samurai Empires 2, and you can buy Samurai Xtreme 2 as DLC or whatever for Samurai 2 on 360.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

littleorv posted:

If all you need to have a good time is bash dudes left and right, you're in for a treat! Orochi Ultimate is the most content rich of the Warriors series. Even though they don't vary much if at all from game to game, I can't get enough of them :)

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Wamdoodle posted:

If all you need to have a good time is bash dudes left and right, you're in for a treat! Orochi Ultimate is the most content rich of the Warriors series. Even though they don't vary much if at all from game to game, I can't get enough of them :)

Yes, I really liked Dynasty Warrior 8 on my pc and figured I'd get Orochi since it's on sale.

I got the first 4gigs downloaded and got to try out the duel mode and wow do I suck at this game. If I actually try I can barely scrape out a win 50% of the time. I think I need to use the cards since I completely ignore them. I wish that it allowed me to do a free battle before it fully downloaded but whatever. I'll just leave it on to download overnight.

Is there anything I should know about Orochi before I play it for the first time? I'm familiar with the Dynasty series but that's it.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I got DW:7 Empires along with Warriors Orochi 3. As I have been waiting on Orochi to download, I've tried out Empires first. It's a very nice game, especially for $15. I tried out the free edition of DW8 Empires, and from what I can see of 7 there isn't much of a difference between the two. Aside from online mode and a few cosmetic things in the character editor they are almost identical. That's Koei for you I suppose :shrug:

I am really digging that they include the entire soundtrack from every Dynasty Warriors game, that's a nice touch. Playing DW2: Yellow Turban Rebellion brings me back.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Rutibex posted:

I am really digging that they include the entire soundtrack from every Dynasty Warriors game, that's a nice touch. Playing DW2: Yellow Turban Rebellion brings me back.

You know you've reached peak Musou-crazy when Yellow Storm and Yellow Storm ver.2 sound completely different.

Toothache
Apr 5, 2011

Platypus = God's beta testing animal
Yellow Storm ver 2 was the redone version from DW3.

I've noticed a lot of people cite DW3 as their favourite in the series, and after playing a lot of DW2 lately I can see more of why. In DW2 the combat was very basic, bare bones. No weapon upgrades, everything is limited to 4 hit combos, and only a small handful of maps and the focus of the playthroughs are just the main 3 armies. DW3 changes everything, from adding multiple weapons per character, items, elemental attacks, 5 and 6 hit combos, making it even easier to hit those +8 stat upgrades, seperating HP and Musou bars, many more maps and making each character's playthrough unique rather than forcing the same layout. The game improved so much from DW2, and then the XL expansion added a bunch of extras like giving some focus to the non-affiliated characters, many more items, and even more weapon options as well as a Very Hard option.

DW3 was the first in the series I played after all, and I still have a huge fondness for it, especially after going back and playing the older games again I am appreciating why I enjoy it so much compared to other titles.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Toothache posted:

I've noticed a lot of people cite DW3 as their favourite in the series, and after playing a lot of DW2 lately I can see more of why. In DW2 the combat was very basic, bare bones. No weapon upgrades, everything is limited to 4 hit combos, and only a small handful of maps and the focus of the playthroughs are just the main 3 armies. DW3 changes everything, from adding multiple weapons per character, items, elemental attacks, 5 and 6 hit combos, making it even easier to hit those +8 stat upgrades, seperating HP and Musou bars, many more maps and making each character's playthrough unique rather than forcing the same layout. The game improved so much from DW2, and then the XL expansion added a bunch of extras like giving some focus to the non-affiliated characters, many more items, and even more weapon options as well as a Very Hard option.

DW3 was the first in the series I played after all, and I still have a huge fondness for it, especially after going back and playing the older games again I am appreciating why I enjoy it so much compared to other titles.

The changes from 2 to 3 are insane. But 5 has still always been my favorite, at least until 8 came around which is near perfect as far as I'm concerned.

Seriously though, it's insane the stuff that wasn't included in 2 and you can really see its roots in old school brawlers. Your characters were pretty much as-is through the whole game other than getting the stat drops.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

The earlier games also had a problem where, any character who had sweeping attacks was almost always better than anyone who didn't. People complain that the series is MASH BUTTANS, but you really do notice and appreciate the quality of life improvements as the series progresses.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Toothache posted:

I played DW2 every day after school at my friend house. DW3 was the first of the series that I owned myself, and you can be drat sure I can tell the difference between DW2 and DW3 Yellow Storm (DW2 is better :colbert:).

One thing I miss from the old games: you can get bigger bonuses from opponent officers by killing them with a better combo. That was the real challenge of DW2, making sick combos.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

littleorv posted:

Yes, I really liked Dynasty Warrior 8 on my pc and figured I'd get Orochi since it's on sale.

I got the first 4gigs downloaded and got to try out the duel mode and wow do I suck at this game. If I actually try I can barely scrape out a win 50% of the time. I think I need to use the cards since I completely ignore them. I wish that it allowed me to do a free battle before it fully downloaded but whatever. I'll just leave it on to download overnight.

Is there anything I should know about Orochi before I play it for the first time? I'm familiar with the Dynasty series but that's it.

It's a bit harder than most recent Warriors games so be wary about fighting some of the big named officers because they can destroy you with one badly timed Musou attack, make use of the interim save function.
Like most other Warriors titles the bonus modes are designed to be played using characters levelled in the main campaign, starting out at level one is not advisable.
Don't try and grind out bonds until you have all the options available in the tea house because that makes it a lot easier.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Finally got to try out Warriors Orochi 3: Ultimate. People weren't kidding when they said this has an absurd amount of content; there seem like a million differant things to level up and collect. Every time I beat a level I unlock a half dozen things! I like that leveling up your guy to 100 is just the beginning; you'll need 1000 levels to fully max out a character :psyduck: I appreciate that they have one massive branching story mode instead of multiple story modes, and defeating this Hydra thing seems to only be half way through the story. Warriors Orochi 1s story modes felt too restricted as far as team selection.

The challenge modes and scenario editor are just icing on the cake, I could spend a lot of time playing this game.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Gauntlet Mode is forever.

I_Like_Me
Dec 26, 2004
My only experience with DW is DW2 on PS2 and Hyrule Warriors. I am really enjoying Hyrule Warriors and was wondering which Warriors game does it resemble? SW, OW, DW?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

They all play differently to some degree, but I think SW4 is probably the closest to HW.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The closest to HW is probably Pirate Warriors 2, to be honest which doesn't really help if you've no interest in One Piece.

Analog
Feb 2, 2001

Sakurazuka posted:

It's a bit harder than most recent Warriors games so be wary about fighting some of the big named officers because they can destroy you with one badly timed Musou attack, make use of the interim save function.

I wish I would have read this about 30 minutes before I actually did... Playing this for the first time, made it to the end of a level and then got juggled by a named guy. I wasn't expecting to be dropped back out to the main menu after that.

This is the only the second of these games I've tried. Hyrule Warriors finally got me to try them out after years of people generally trashing the games. Glad I did - HW was a lot of fun and Warriors Orochi 3 seems promising so far.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
How much more worthwhile stuff is there in WO3U than WO3? $25 is definitely a good deal for people who don't have the latter, but I don't know if it's worth it for an upgrade.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

AzraelNewtype posted:

How much more worthwhile stuff is there in WO3U than WO3? $25 is definitely a good deal for people who don't have the latter, but I don't know if it's worth it for an upgrade.

The main story is around 50% longer, there are a ton of extra side stages, maybe a dozen new characters, Gauntlet Mode, and the reincarnation mechanic. If you don't mind starting from scratch, it's well worth $25.

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

Haven't played any warriors games in years, but I'm really having a blast with WO3U. This scratches all the right itches.

I had the most :tviv: moment when I was trying out Ryu's moves and he did the Izuna Drop. Modeling his attacks after the ones in Ninja Gaiden is such a cool touch, goddamn.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

HelmetCheese posted:

Haven't played any warriors games in years, but I'm really having a blast with WO3U. This scratches all the right itches.

I had the most :tviv: moment when I was trying out Ryu's moves and he did the Izuna Drop. Modeling his attacks after the ones in Ninja Gaiden is such a cool touch, goddamn.

I think it's a matter of cumulative improvements. The average Warriors sequal is only a minor increment, but when you stop playing them for 10 years and come back there's a huge amount of accrued improvement. KOEI is just especially greedy, they do as much work as a company like say Bethesda, but instead of releasing a game ever 4 years they release 1/4 of a game every year and charge full price for it.

That being said, I've spent most of the day playing Warrior Orochi 3: Ultimate and I haven't even got past the first chapter. There seems to be an endless well of side missions in this game :black101: I am hooked, when you make the same game for 10 year you get dame good at it, and it shows.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Like most other Warriors titles the bonus modes are designed to be played using characters levelled in the main campaign, starting out at level one is not advisable.
Don't try and grind out bonds until you have all the options available in the tea house because that makes it a lot easier.

Analog posted:

I wish I would have read this about 30 minutes before I actually did... Playing this for the first time, made it to the end of a level and then got juggled by a named guy. I wasn't expecting to be dropped back out to the main menu after that.

This is the only the second of these games I've tried. Hyrule Warriors finally got me to try them out after years of people generally trashing the games. Glad I did - HW was a lot of fun and Warriors Orochi 3 seems promising so far.

Watch out for Himiko! This is what happens if you let her get her musou out and you don't block:

Her--->:commissar: <--- you

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Bladestorm looks extremely like my kind of game. Just not for 60 dollars.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Wamdoodle posted:

Watch out for Himiko! This is what happens if you let her get her musou out and you don't block:

Her--->:commissar: <--- you

This man knows exactly what's up.

Nobody is safe from that magical kindergartner.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

My memory of Orochi is hitting R1 as Jean D'arc and watching everything die around me forever.

After a brief period of maxing out proficiency for cards I've actually started to look at the characters to just level up and start getting through stages on Hard and Joan of Arc is simply a very good character, gameplay wise: she has an AoE ex attack, a multiple hit long range charge attack, her ground special attack is super fast and covers a large area around her, her air special attack hits enemies and leaves a healing aura and she can guard break at will. Thanks to that, she's mostly self sufficient and has become my MVP forever - or until I find someone better, but she's easy to use, which is another point in her favour.

Still, I very much dislike how enemy officers can just "withdraw" and I can't kill them but mine have but one life and I can't tell them to fall back and let me handle an enemy they can't.

Also, at what point do people stop getting new attacks - i.e. to what level should I level a character in order to see everything he or she or it can do and know if I want to replace an older character?

Szurumbur fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Apr 20, 2015

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
I believe their full movelist unlocks at 20.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

The GIG posted:

I believe their full movelist unlocks at 20.

That's lower than I thought, I might as well raise every character level, Growth Points are plentiful enough and it's easy to fall into a rut with the abundance of choice.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

littleorv posted:

Bladestorm looks extremely like my kind of game. Just not for 60 dollars.

Try the demo.

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

Some Kind of Magical Idiot
So I just got Samurai Warriors 4 off of the flash sale. What do I need to know before I start playing?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Simon The Digger posted:

So I just got Samurai Warriors 4 off of the flash sale. What do I need to know before I start playing?

It owns, punch everything

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Simon The Digger posted:

Bash dudes (and some ladies) who are not your dudes. Rince, repeat. Enjoy :)

^^^ This goon knows what's up!

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
And use the option/select button liberally to make those optional events really easy to get to since if you're not close to them usually your AI partner is.

Not sure if I like that gimmick or Orochi's team thing more.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Apr 20, 2015

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Simon The Digger posted:

don't get too hung up on beating every single peasant, they are just cannon fodder. if you don't like a character, pick another one for the next level

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
I was excited for the flash sale but they don't have PW2 on it and I already own everything else worth getting :(

DaveCG
Nov 5, 2009
PW 2 is very good but if you can wait PW 3 is looking even better, story mode of PW 1 and the awesome gameplay of PW 2, don't get me wrong I'm a Koei fanatic so I have them all haha, I was excited for the sale and then I was like...oh...I own them all...

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mokinokaro posted:

And use the option/select button liberally to make those optional events really easy to get to since if you're not close to them usually your AI partner is.

Not sure if I like that gimmick or Orochi's team thing more.

They should combine all of the gimmicks into one super-game. So you would control two 5-character parties, each character in the party having 2 sets of weapons. This way you could control effectively 20 move sets at once :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Analog
Feb 2, 2001

Is there any reason to use the suggested characters for the missions in Warriors Orochi 3 story mode? Does it give more story elements, unlocks etc?