Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Tekopo posted:

Hey now, I was looking forward to the Hound's Tooth, Bossk owns.

Devlan Mud posted:

Hound's Tooth owns

ExtraCheese posted:

Is that a 180 arc on Hounds Tooth? :getin:

Halverine posted:

Yay for The Hounds Tooth!

GENTLEMEN.

:hf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
I agree with the distaste for the TIE Punisher and K-Wing, aesthetically, but the sheer batshit, "let's use these obscure ships from the rear end end of the EU" mentality is pretty great. What I do think is interesting is that we're seeing wave 7 now, with what I'd guess is a late Q2, early Q3 release. That means, I'm guessing, that wave 8 is going to be the wave with the first of the new trilogy ships- presumably a T-70 X-Wing, and maybe an updated TIE Fighter?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Man, this one dude over on FFG's forums is so loving pissed about the TIE Punisher, it's kind of hilarious. "This is just a lazy copy-paste design job shat out by someone struggling to make deadline! Unlike all the other very original TIE variants which aren't lazy and derivative because"

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

ExtraCheese posted:

Is that a 180 arc on Hounds Tooth? :getin:

No, it's a standard arc and two side facing auxiliary arcs. The distinction matters and it's important to be precise :mad:

Veritek83 posted:

I agree with the distaste for the TIE Punisher and K-Wing, aesthetically, but the sheer batshit, "let's use these obscure ships from the rear end end of the EU" mentality is pretty great.

It's always seemed a little insane to me that the rebel fighter compliment was thousands of the 4 G-canon alphabet fighters. They're a ragtag fleet, they should be scrounging up whatever they can find which is going to be something different in every sector. And the Imperial fleet is almost entirely your standard Eyeballs, Squints, and Dupes, but Palpatine was nuts for black budget one-off projects.

Poopy Palpy fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Apr 18, 2015

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Well part of the problem FFG is facing is simply that there's a finite amount of even EU bullshit they can draw on assuming the prequels are off the table, because the EU writers largely stuck with things like the X-Wing, even when the E-Wing was supposed to be the new hotness or whatever. If they wanted to go for some really out there stuff they could do the TIE Predator and X-83 TwinTail from those comics in the far future where the main character is some distant descendent of Luke Skywalker but he's all brooding and edgy and says space swears a lot.

The Raider is a purely original creation so in theory they could try making their own original content but the problem is that everything would have to be vetted by Disney and I imagine that's not a casual process, plus the appeal of X-Wing is in large part "play with the ships you know and (maybe) love," which original content lacks.

It'll be interesting to see if FFG jumps straight on the Force Awakens bandwagon or if they hang back a bit and see how it plays out first.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The K-wing is actually cool and good because it's homer simpson's space car and it's a neat meta commentary on how we'll buy the bullshit bad model just because it happens to be good in the game or we need the 1-of s-foils x-wing fix included. I, of course, will try to mod it even further and make it look like the majestic pelican that it is.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

...Yeah I know I'm buying two of everything but the Hounds Tooth.

Which I'm still buying.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Angry FFG dude is angry because they're making the Punisher instead of this thing:

which I cannot take even a little bit seriously. It's a flying salt shaker.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Kai Tave posted:

Angry FFG dude is angry because they're making the Punisher instead of this thing:

which I cannot take even a little bit seriously. It's a flying salt shaker.

That thing looks dumb as hell.

As a side note, the Punisher is actually based on the last Imperial Bomber upgrade from Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds, which is hilarious.

I had so much fun playing that game, so I'm going to buy a Punisher just for the nostalgia value.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Chill la Chill posted:

The K-wing is actually cool and good because it's homer simpson's space car and it's a neat meta commentary on how we'll buy the bullshit bad model just because it happens to be good in the game or we need the 1-of s-foils x-wing fix included. I, of course, will try to mod it even further and make it look like the majestic pelican that it is.

im going to paint mine green and add a giant horn to it.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Yeah, the original name for the Punisher is actually the TIE Interdictor, which I'm guessing they may have changed to avoid confusion with a potential Interdictor Cruiser down the line for Armada.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

zVxTeflon posted:

im going to paint mine green and add a giant horn to it.

Suddenly I don't mind the K-Wing so much.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived...
The K-Wing looks like a large ship on a small ship base.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

FuSchnick posted:

The K-Wing looks like a large ship on a small ship base.
I rewlly feel like it was a large ship for most of the design

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
The K-Wing and Punisher are pretty great. I'm excited for the other two as well, this wave definitely brings some cool stuff to the game.

In other news, I love living in the Twin Cities. We have 8 X-Wing tournaments over the next 8 days, and that's on top of the 4 or 5 we had in the last week. And every event is drawing 10+ players. Pretty awesome having FFG in our backyard, really helps boost the community here. Plus, Tuesday we have a Wave One ships only tournament... All upgrades legal, but only X, Y, TIE, and Advanced. The new TIE Advanced stuff from the raider is legal too. This is gonna be a ton of fun! Just can't decide on Vader or a new TIE Swarm!

bij
Feb 24, 2007

If Fantasy Flight has any sense at all this will be released sooner rather than later.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Potential BFF posted:

If Fantasy Flight has any sense at all this will be released sooner rather than later.

I loving love those things, not even gonna lie. You can just imagine a bunch of Imperial engineers in the rear end-end of space with nothing else to do except play holochess and smoke some dank space weed and suddenly one of'em is just like "guys guys holy poo poo, I have the best idea."

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Nah, that was specifically constructed as part of an R&D program to create drone TIEs by Zaarin. It's part of X-Wings Alliance campaign.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Tekopo posted:

Nah, that was specifically constructed as part of an R&D program to create drone TIEs by Zaarin. It's part of X-Wings Alliance campaign.

I prefer the other explanation tbh

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Endman posted:

I prefer the other explanation tbh
Okay, good for you.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I don't think the K-Wing looks that bad as a model. Without the chin gun it gives me an old bomber vibe. So I'm probably going to take that off.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, the FFG forums seem super salty about this whole wave. I've seen a fair number of people saying that they should just stop making new ships all together. Do they really think that FFG is just gonna kill one of their most popular and profitable lines just because they made all the ships featured on-screen in the OT?

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Potential BFF posted:

I guess the "Double the agility of the target" rider that turbolasers have would serve as some B-Wing hate. Would it have energy to manage?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

quote:

Posted Yesterday, 07:05 PM
Well, Wave 7 will now be the second wave in a row in which I didn't buy anything.

I have to say... I just have zero interest in these ships.

A) I really don't like the way they look. The Hounds Tooth is interesting, but the rest... not so much. I am amazed that the non-Star Wars movie ships always look so blah to me... some of the worst sci-fi design I've seen.

B) I don't need the cards. I only play for fun, so just proxy what I want.

C) At this point, the variety is solid enough. I don't have an interest in ships that are only mildly different than what has come before.

So... yeah. I don't foresee buying any more X-Wing ships; my collection is perfect as is.

Anyone else in the same boat?

these people are crazy.

I only play for fun, so I just proxy any ships, dials, or cards I want.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Kai Tave posted:

I loving love those things, not even gonna lie. You can just imagine a bunch of Imperial engineers in the rear end-end of space with nothing else to do except play holochess and smoke some dank space weed and suddenly one of'em is just like "guys guys holy poo poo, I have the best idea."

The best part about this will be the engineers trying to figure out where to place the peg. :getin:

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

alg posted:

these people are crazy.

Forgive me X-Wing thread, for I have sinned.

I have not yet purchased an Aggressor to complete my collection of at least one of everything.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

alg posted:

these people are crazy.

Whats so crazy about that guy?

So far I'm only interested in the two scum ships. How long is it usually before we get some stats and info about them?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

alg posted:

these people are crazy.

That's actually the reasonable thing to do. buy and play with the stuff ou want. the crazy people are those who buy things cuz of completion or tournaments.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived...

Potential BFF posted:

I didn't realize the thing on the left was a gun at first. I was imagining two TIE cockpits, but someone put one on backwards, and all it can do is spin in place superfast.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

FuSchnick posted:

I didn't realize the thing on the left was a gun at first. I was imagining two TIE cockpits, but someone put one on backwards, and all it can do is spin in place superfast.

TIE Centrifuge.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

Yeah, the original name for the Punisher is actually the TIE Interdictor, which I'm guessing they may have changed to avoid confusion with a potential Interdictor Cruiser down the line for Armada.

Because "TIE Heavy Bomber" would have been just too confusing, I guess.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Madurai posted:

Because "TIE Heavy Bomber" would have been just too confusing, I guess.

But that's a different ship entirely!

Chill la Chill posted:

That's actually the reasonable thing to do. buy and play with the stuff ou want. the crazy people are those who buy things cuz of completion or tournaments.

Realtalk, I already feel this way about some of the ships that have already been released, like the Lambda Shuttle. It's a shuttle. It ferries people from place to place. It's not a bad model per se, but when I think "awesome Star Wars battles" my first thought isn't "oh man, I could field a Lambda Shuttle!" But it's a good unit, I hear you say. Sure, it may be. Still a shuttle though.

The people over on FFG's forums saying they aren't excited about Wave 7 aren't anything to poke fun of, if you don't like stuff you don't like it. What's funny is people like the dude raging out over the Punisher being "derivative" when variations on a repeated theme are the TIE series' entire schtick and wanting the flying salt shaker because it's "more original" despite it being massively dorkier.

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat
I like some spaceships a whole bunch but that hounds tooth one has always looked too much like a flying sand crawler to me and I don't like that.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Kai Tave posted:

But that's a different ship entirely!

Realtalk, I already feel this way about some of the ships that have already been released, like the Lambda Shuttle. It's a shuttle. It ferries people from place to place. It's not a bad model per se, but when I think "awesome Star Wars battles" my first thought isn't "oh man, I could field a Lambda Shuttle!" But it's a good unit, I hear you say. Sure, it may be. Still a shuttle though.

The people over on FFG's forums saying they aren't excited about Wave 7 aren't anything to poke fun of, if you don't like stuff you don't like it. What's funny is people like the dude raging out over the Punisher being "derivative" when variations on a repeated theme are the TIE series' entire schtick and wanting the flying salt shaker because it's "more original" despite it being massively dorkier.

It's called x wangs for a reason.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Played a couple games today. First was Scum on Scum. I ran Kath Scarlet, Kavil, and a nameless Black Sun Headhunter against N'dru, Guri, and Serissu. It was basically a blowout, he managed to strip away the shields on my Headhunter and Kavil but by that point I'd killed off Serissu and Guri and my Firespray was basically untouched so he conceded. I hadn't really intended it to be that much of a stomping, but I'm at least pleased that it seemed to work. Kavil cruised around with a Blaster Turret and Agromech doing 4 dice turret attacks with target lock and was the MVP, while I had some issues getting Kath into proper position to exploit her rear firing arc. I experimented with Expert Handling on the Firespray and I'm not sold on it, so I'm gonna go back to the drawing board there. The Headhunter mainly existed to fill some point slots, I gave it a Shield Upgrade, Hot Shot Blaster, and Munitions Failsafe, and it kept N'dru busy most of the game, so I'll consider it points well spent.

Second game was me as Scum versus Imperials. This time I was flying Guri in the Virago plus all the goodies, Kavil, and Dace Bonearm. He was using the Decimator with Rear Admiral whatsisname and three mostly vanilla TIE Fighters (Winged Gundark, Dark Curse, and a Black Squadron pilot). This one was a lot closer but I ultimately lost. Things started out well for me as I was able to use Dace plus an Ion Turret to get an early TIE kill while Kavil did his thing and Guri maneuvered around the Decimator, but while I was able to kill off his remaining TIEs in short order he took out Guri and from there it was a losing battle of attrition. I brought the Decimator down to four hull but Kavil got exploded and then it was down to Dace's HWK which has the maneuverability of a loving drunk sloth, and against something with 360-degree turret coverage it was basically a lost cause.

I also got to play a game of Armada using the training setup from the instruction book. It was decidedly not as exciting as X-Wing in my opinion. I'm sure we probably got some stuff wrong, but on the whole it didn't feel as dynamic as X-Wing's "swooshier" dogfights and by the time the 6 round limit rolled around neither of us had managed to destroy any capital ships, which meant things boiled down to "who killed the most fighter squadrons" (my opponent, playing Rebels, did). Admittedly we didn't experiment with upgrade cards or anything like that, but after playing the vanilla X-Wing quickstart I was rarin' to go again while after Armada I just wanted to go back to playing X-Wing.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

It could just be the low res image we have right now, but I'm reasonably certain the K-Wing does have a new action icon, which sort of looks like two triangles or a pair of arrows superimposed on each other. This is entirely wild speculation on my part, but maybe it's to represent the SLAM? A speed 2 straight or something as an action?

Or it could just be a really goddamn blurry standard action icon.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Nope, I saw up-close pics of the K-Wing and it does indeed have a new action bar icon, so you are correct. The only thing I couldn't see in the pics is the attack rating of the Hound's Tooth.

As far as I can see, the new Black Sun fighter has attack rating 3, the TIE Punisher has attack rating 2 and is the only TIE without a barrel roll but with boost (which means that it can take autos) and the K-Wing has a 360 arc but with only 2 attack rating.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Tekopo posted:

Nope, I saw up-close pics of the K-Wing and it does indeed have a new action bar icon, so you are correct. The only thing I couldn't see in the pics is the attack rating of the Hound's Tooth.

As far as I can see, the new Black Sun fighter has attack rating 3, the TIE Punisher has attack rating 2 and is the only TIE without a barrel roll but with boost (which means that it can take autos) and the K-Wing has a 360 arc but with only 2 attack rating.

I'm hoping for some kind of combo target lock/focus to improve action economy on munitions, and a card to retrofit that action onto past ships. Not gonna happen quite like that, I know.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

I also got to play a game of Armada using the training setup from the instruction book. It was decidedly not as exciting as X-Wing in my opinion. I'm sure we probably got some stuff wrong, but on the whole it didn't feel as dynamic as X-Wing's "swooshier" dogfights and by the time the 6 round limit rolled around neither of us had managed to destroy any capital ships, which meant things boiled down to "who killed the most fighter squadrons" (my opponent, playing Rebels, did). Admittedly we didn't experiment with upgrade cards or anything like that, but after playing the vanilla X-Wing quickstart I was rarin' to go again while after Armada I just wanted to go back to playing X-Wing.

Don't let the demo game kill it for you, the simple addition of building up 180 point sides from the starter kit, drawing a random objective card, and actually playing a game past the "learn to play" scenario (which I found to be merely educational, not fun as well) makes the game MUCH more interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aristocrat
Dec 24, 2005

Veritek83 posted:

I agree with the distaste for the TIE Punisher and K-Wing, aesthetically, but the sheer batshit, "let's use these obscure ships from the rear end end of the EU" mentality is pretty great. What I do think is interesting is that we're seeing wave 7 now, with what I'd guess is a late Q2, early Q3 release. That means, I'm guessing, that wave 8 is going to be the wave with the first of the new trilogy ships- presumably a T-70 X-Wing, and maybe an updated TIE Fighter?

If they get to Ep7 ships without doing gunboats, missile boats or the YT2000 I will be spitting chips.

• Locked thread