Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

ToastyPotato posted:

I really hope part of this mega patch is a ton of new growable buildings. Its cool that the workshop has tons, but it would be nice for the base game to have tons by default.

More L4-5 HD residentials would be nice. And more L2 offices. Some bigger industry buildings would be welcome also, maybe even as ploppables.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section 31
Mar 4, 2012

Friction posted:

I love trains.

How...? :stare:

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

Metrication posted:

Very nice, links to the filler lots please.

Thanks, these crate stack and yard assets own.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=419894140
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=419822855

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=416530242
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=416530042

To get proper gravel to the track intersections, use the gravel brushes from this collection

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=416082909

Jerk Burger
Jul 4, 2003

King of the Monkeys
You have overhead cranes for overhead electrified rail... totally awesome

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I really want to see them add some randomization to the lifespans, and I think they could be tweaked to be at least a little longer. I get swamped in die offs every 6 years like clockwork, more than my crematories can handle all at once, and it leads to cims abandoning half the buildings in my city and traffic temporarily going straight to hell.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
If I had a wishlist the only two big wishes would be offices being their own separate thing in the RCI and air pollution.

Friction posted:

More L4-5 HD residentials would be nice. And more L2 offices. Some bigger industry buildings would be welcome also, maybe even as ploppables.

Yeah, more offices and high density commercial in general would be great. New industry would be cool too, but the way pollution is modeled makes it difficult for me to enjoy making industrial hellholes.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Having groundwater flow that spreads ground pollution through your town into your lakes or adding wind pollution (common, every citybuilder has this) would help a lot.

e: I'm very curious how they'll do wall-to-wall building though. You can do this indirectly by having models the same size as the lot, but this doesn't help if the grid isn't perfectly square and flat.

Domattee fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 18, 2015

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
I started the "gently caress it! EVERYTHING IS ROUNDABOUTS" city thinking it would do horribly but it seems to be... working. Everyone is happy. Traffic problems are minimal. Welp.

Tendai fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Apr 18, 2015

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

To be fair, that's all low density stuff which never really seems to get much traffic anyways.

The roads between your commercial and industrial? Now that's the stuff to keep an eye on.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Tendai posted:

I started the "gently caress it! EVERYTHING IS ROUNDABOUTS" city thinking it would do horribly but it seems to be... working. Everyone is happy. Traffic problems are minimal. Welp.

You are wasting a lot of space there though.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

GrossMurpel posted:

You are wasting a lot of space there though.

The game will become unplayable well before you fill all of your tiles if you try to make them all densely filled (if you have the 25 tile mod) so that's not really an issue.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Good maps are hard to find. Does anyone know of a good map that has relatively flat ground and a bunch of narrow rivers through it?

Separately, anyone have good/bad things to say about the terraforming mod?

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Hulk Smash! posted:

Good maps are hard to find. Does anyone know of a good map that has relatively flat ground and a bunch of narrow rivers through it?

Separately, anyone have good/bad things to say about the terraforming mod?

The terraforming mod is awesome, though it sucks that you can't set the brush intensity like you can in the map editor.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Wallet posted:

The terraforming mod is awesome, though it sucks that you can't set the brush intensity like you can in the map editor.

You can. Shift +/-

BallsFalls
Oct 18, 2013
For anyone who wants to take their 'tism to the next level, the guy working on the Traffic Manager mod just released:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=427585724

It supposedly includes timed traffic lights among other things:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvhYbOyS9Wg

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Subyng posted:

You can. Shift +/-

Is there a hotkey to change the brush as well?

BallsFalls posted:

For anyone who wants to take their 'tism to the next level, the guy working on the Traffic Manager mod just released:

I wonder how this impacts performance.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Apr 18, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I kinda want a mod with a button that removes all textures and makes everything white and sets all buildings to the LoD models and ups the shadow and shading detail.

You know, so it can look like this:

DEO3
Oct 25, 2005
The Mirror's Edge mod plus the Moveable Sun mod (which lets you set stuff like light and shadow intensity as well as the poisition) would probably get you close.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

So I've been making a background music playlist for this, which is growing by the day. Would anybody be interested in it? I can share artist and track names, the majority of them are all available on Spotify and Deezer but there's a bunch that aren't. I can star those ones so you know in advance you'll have a bit of work to go through. All of them are (at time of posting) on youtube so you could always cherry pick the ones you like and make a private youtube playlist that runs in the background while playing CSL.

e: Would also appreciate recommendations. :)

Oscar Romeo Romeo fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Apr 18, 2015

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Wallet posted:

Is there a hotkey to change the brush as well?

+/-

It's the same as in the map editor.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Hulk Smash! posted:

Here's a map that's exactly that: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=412365001&searchtext=canals

It's what I'm using for my current city. (Though I tweaked the highway, rail, and resource placement, because I'm picky like that.)

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I did a Cartagena map which is a harbor with a bunch of canals/islands based on the real city, it's flat and works out pretty really well

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=415802704

https://goo.gl/maps/2QZFT https://goo.gl/maps/NW73S

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Apr 18, 2015

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
That's a nice map (I got a city to 120K on it), but in case you're unaware the extreme SW peninsula's corner (where it says El Laguito on the real map) isn't part of the 25-tile grid.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Can't seem to find it in the notes, has the Park/Commercial demand bug been fixed yet?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

crabrock posted:

my college town has the opposite problem. they put "art" in the middle of an intersection, now people think it's a roundabout, blow through the stop sign and swerve into the crosswalks with pedestrians.

real genius move there, guys.

http://www.krcrtv.com/north-coast-news/news/arcata-public-works-addresses-intersection-confusion/31790730

quote:

“The other alternative we’re looking at is seeing how it functions operationally and it could be converted into what we call a traffic circle," Director of Public Works Doby Class said. "This would remove the two stop signs and replace them with four-way yield signs.”

Stealth roundabout, someone at the city plays Skylines.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
I wish the patch would include styles like in SC4, with optionally being able to set them for districts. Probably won't ever happen but god it would be nice.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Deviant posted:

Can't seem to find it in the notes, has the Park/Commercial demand bug been fixed yet?

It was fixed over a month ago.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Curvature of Earth posted:

Am I doing roundabouts right?

Now with arrows to make things even more confusing!

What map is this/how do you make canals?

e: couple of post up, oops!

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

BallsFalls posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=427585724

It supposedly includes timed traffic lights among other things:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvhYbOyS9Wg

This looks awesome but I'm going to wait a bit for him to fix the bugs.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Spent a heap of time rebuilding and moving parts of my city around only to have a blackout take all of my progress. Maybe it's time for the autosave mod to be utilised

Taple
Apr 18, 2015
Is it, in general, a good idea to build cities with one big area of each zone type, or to try and mix together the commercial, office and residential zones?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

If you only have single huge areas of each zone type, you can quite easily predict the traffic patterns. One of the easy predictions is that you will almost certainly bottleneck on whatever connections you make between the megazones.

If you intermix zoning types you will: 1) Get a more natural-looking city, and 2) Potentially more trips can be local avoiding some bottlenecking

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The biggest problem I've been seeing is exporting all my industrial products to shipyards and after seeing that 3x cargo train terminal a couple pages back I designed my own and it's had great results on shrinking down the traffic in my city. I've always had issues with large industrial areas crushing regional traffic but this seems to have fixed it for the most part. From what I can tell all the cargo gets loaded on the train in the industrial areas (3x cargo train terminals in large industrial areas seems to do the trick), then shipped to the shipping terminal. Freighter ships are constantly 100% full going to and from the city now.

Screenshot is from my Algers map

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Apr 19, 2015

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Is there a mod that makes it easier to tell how big each park is? In the menu it's just a jumble of green and the descriptions don't really help at all

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

maniacdevnull posted:

Is there a mod that makes it easier to tell how big each park is? In the menu it's just a jumble of green and the descriptions don't really help at all

Doesn't help that 75% of modders still forego the thumbnail for the parks section entirely.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Anyone have an example of a frontage road setup that works well for them? Saw the below on reddit or something and it looked pretty slick, but I'm wondering if it's secretly retarded.

Bold Robot fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Apr 19, 2015

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
When going for a suburb look, do you all still zone 4 tiles deep from the road? I've been using 2 tiles as I feel it matches the scale a bit better. I imagine wall-to-wall commercial districts would similarly be 2-3 blocks deep as opposed to the full 4.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Taple posted:

Is it, in general, a good idea to build cities with one big area of each zone type, or to try and mix together the commercial, office and residential zones?

Mixing office in with commercial and residential is something I do. Commercial generates noise though so you want to not put it right next to residential (buffer it with some office).

Don't ever mix in industry though unless you want your traffic to be totally hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Moridin920 posted:

Mixing office in with commercial and residential is something I do. Commercial generates noise though so you want to not put it right next to residential (buffer it with some office).

Don't ever mix in industry though unless you want your traffic to be totally hosed.
So commercial generates some noise, but I've never seen anyone actually complain or anything... so what's the big deal?

Have I been needing more parks without knowing it or something? If that's the case, the costs are small enough that it kind of doesn't really matter to me. Especially because I've found office zones to be a pain if you're trying to make enough industry to fulfill your city's demand for goods domestically.

Office seems to just be an industrial demand sponge and space filler without much benefit.