Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pegged Lamb
Nov 5, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Add me to the list of people who doesn't even know what good and healthy food means anymore from reading this discussion.

It means he feels like being contrary without cause as usual

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Edit: gently caress it, you are a retarded person.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Nonsense posted:

I had a anatomy prof who claimed potatoes, peas, carrots, fruits is not good beyond small portions. Is that claim sorta what you mean here?

I like potatoes! But not Walker.

The claim is they bear no special healthy qualities.

Accretionist posted:

You are a retarded person. Also, "instead of having variety in foods?" Making up things up to throw around is just lazy, too.

Said the person saying kids should just have potatoes, beans, rice and loving cabbage. You're ridiculous.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Add me to the list of people who doesn't even know what good and healthy food means anymore from reading this discussion.

:ssh: It means nothing other than "thing I like and want other people to like", that's why people are randomly declaring pizza to be inherently bad.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Samurai Sanders posted:

Actually, I do remember helping out in the cafeteria a few times in elementary school, with the rest of my class. I don't know why though.

Over in Japan, food for elementary school is prepared off-site (actually cooked and good, this is not-America we are talking about after all) and then brought in in the middle of the day still hot, and served by students every day.

Also in schools in Japan IIRC, students clean the cafeteria and classrooms (although they are also assigned to a classroom with floating teachers rather than our system of floating students).

I wouldn't try to mimic the Japanese education system entirely but having students serve the food and clean up after each other sounds like a great idea.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Amergin posted:

Also in schools in Japan IIRC, students clean the cafeteria and classrooms (although they are also assigned to a classroom with floating teachers rather than our system of floating students).

I wouldn't try to mimic the Japanese education system entirely but having students serve the food and clean up after each other sounds like a great idea.

Combine this with mandatory early-education vocational tracking and you'll have US education fixed!

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Am I too late for school lunch chat? Because lemme tell you about Macho Nachos... they were pretty gross.

Also I'll occasionally get a cheeseburger at AM/PM because they taste exactly like the cheeseburgers they had in our school lunches growing up.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Amergin posted:

Yeah, there are all kinds of things from there I want to implement here (definitely not all of them; most of my Japanese students come over not able to critically read or write something to save their life), but same as everything else, American exceptionalism ideas are in the way.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Joementum posted:

Quote of the night, “There’s nothing more honorable than serving one’s country and there’s no greater heroes to our country than our military, but I might suggest to parents, I’d wait a couple of years until we get a new commander-in-chief that will once again believe ‘one nation under god’ and believe that people of faith should be a vital part of the process of not only governing this country, but defending this country.” ~ Mike Huckabee

The US military prohibits religiosity among the troops? News to me, and greatly improves my opinion of it if so

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

icantfindaname posted:

The US military prohibits religiosity among the troops? News to me, and greatly improves my opinion of it if so

Isn't the Air Force heavily evangelical (partly because of Colorado Springs being the location of the Academy)?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Plutocracy now!

Article: U.S. House passes estate tax repeal despite veto threat
Date: April 16, 2015

quote:

(Reuters) - The U.S. House of Representatives on Thursday ignored a White House veto threat and passed legislation to repeal the estate tax that hits inherited assets worth $5.4 million or more.

By a mostly partisan 240-179 vote, the Republican-backed bill will be sent to the Senate, where Democrats are expected to use procedural hurdles to try to block it. Even if it passes the Senate, it would likely fail to achieve a two-thirds majority needed to override a veto.

House passage was timed for the week when most Americans file their tax returns. Conservatives, who refer to the estate tax as the "death tax," have long railed against it, arguing it hurts the families of small business owners and farmers.

"It’s past time to repeal this unacceptable tax. Every American deserves the ability to pass their life’s savings to their kids," said Representative Tom Graves, a conservative Republican from Georgia.

Repealing the tax would boost the federal deficit by about $269 billion over 10 years, according to Congress' Joint Committee on Taxation.

Few Americans pay the 40 percent tax on assets above the $5.4 million exclusion amount. About 5,400 estates, equal to 0.2 percent of taxpayers, will owe such taxes in 2015
, according to the JCT.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

icantfindaname posted:

On the chance you're serious (because I know we have some non-Americans in here), just imagine that below this line is the Bender imagemacro from earlier.

The US military is hilariously, comically, disturbingly religious. I can't find the study, but I remember reading somewhere that some huge portion of military personnel, especially officers, identify as evangelical Christians.

In fact it's so bad, that there's an actual organization dedicated to fighting the imposition of religion in the military: http://mrff.org/

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Pervis posted:

Isn't the Air Force heavily evangelical (partly because of Colorado Springs being the location of the Academy)?

fatman1683 posted:

On the chance you're serious (because I know we have some non-Americans in here), just imagine that below this line is the Bender imagemacro from earlier.

The US military is hilariously, comically, disturbingly religious. I can't find the study, but I remember reading somewhere that some huge portion of military personnel, especially officers, identify as evangelical Christians.

In fact it's so bad, that there's an actual organization dedicated to fighting the imposition of religion in the military: http://mrff.org/

:thejoke:

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I wonder sometimes if this insane amount of political correctness will ever decrease, if not go away sooner than later...

Mel Brooks would be treated like Bill Cosby if he had made Blazing Saddles today.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

My Imaginary GF posted:

Those aren't old days, those are young. Old days, back when JFK went all the way, when Roosevelt was still a good man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZYqQWbEHWI

:allears:

Accretionist posted:

Plutocracy now!

Article: U.S. House passes estate tax repeal despite veto threat
Date: April 16, 2015

But what about when I become obscenely ridiculously rich and die off? My kids will be devastated by taxes! :ohdear:

I mean I don't have absurd cash right now.... but I know it's bound to happen any day now. Any day now...

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Grouchio posted:

I wonder sometimes if this insane amount of political correctness will ever decrease, if not go away sooner than later...

Mel Brooks would be treated like Bill Cosby if he had made Blazing Saddles today.

I think that the point, message, norms of the era, etc of Blazing Saddles may have flown several meters over your head. Also lol, POLITICAL CORRECTNESS

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Grouchio posted:

Gonna assume this is sarcasm/trolling because to my knowledge Mel Brooks hasn't raped anyone

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Chokes McGee posted:

Gonna assume this is sarcasm/trolling because to my knowledge Mel Brooks hasn't raped anyone

Bill Cosby is only condemned for raping dozens of women because PC GONE TOO FAR

Grouchio is not trolling, presumably, he has made some amazingly idiotic and naive posts, some even in this thread!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Seasoning, the centerpiece of human culinary art and culture since before the invention of writing, is a recently-concocted plot by Michelle Obama to cover up the deep dark secret that potatoes don't taste like all that much. You heard it here first in USPol April.

What are you hiding under that cumin, Michelle, is it...COMMUNISM?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I just got done seeing Django Unchained and it seemed pretty comparable.

Good flick.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Pizza owns, hth

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Republicans posted:

Am I too late for school lunch chat? Because lemme tell you about Macho Nachos... they were pretty gross.

Also I'll occasionally get a cheeseburger at AM/PM because they taste exactly like the cheeseburgers they had in our school lunches growing up.

What's the difference between regular nachos and macho nachos, he asked with trepidation.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Nintendo Kid posted:

I have. You need to, and you also need to take a nutrition course.

Or you can not buy literally the cheapest bland foods possible and try to cover it up with seasonings, instead actually having variety in foods.

You think potatoes and cabbage are bland and unhealthy?

Motherfucker's probably never heard of umami. Living in a personal Jello Belt, foodpinions like a Minnesota Mormon. Probably only eats yellow corn.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ErichZahn posted:

You think potatoes and cabbage are bland and unhealthy?

Cool, another idiot who thinks saying a food isn't inherently healthy thinks that means unhealthy. Also, sorry, cabbage tastes like rear end and broccoli tastes way better.

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Omni-gel superlube is great stuff!
Pretty sure Nintendo Kid is just worried about a starch-heavy diet reducing his gains.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Putin It In Mah rear end posted:

Pretty sure Nintendo Kid is just worried about a starch-heavy diet reducing his gains.

ask him about milk intake

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
I don't think cabbage and potatoes were suggested because they were magical superfood, I think they were suggested because they were dirt cheap and probably better for you than, um, "macho nachos." That said I'd be mad as hell if someone had fed me on literal Irish peasant food five days a week when I was in school. There's probably a happy medium in there somewhere, though.

(GWS chat: if you think broccoli can always sub in for cabbage just because they're both brassica you're insane. The basic idea is the same--hit them with super intense heat to develop sweet, nutty flavor,--but cabbage is a lot denser than broccoli and thus takes better to grilling than roasting. You can get amazing charred surface/crunchy inside contrasts on cabbage that are very difficult to achieve on broccoli, and cabbage will take light dressings better, too. If you've written cabbage off because you're used to godawful institutional versions of the dish, try grilling or broiling half-head wedges and tossing with just olive oil, salt, and pepper. So good.)

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Reiterpallasch posted:

try grilling or broiling half-head wedges and tossing with just olive oil, salt, and pepper. So good.)

You can also do this with romaine and serve as a salad with thin sliced grilled steak/chicken. Grilling is like deep frying but for people with all their teeth, it's worth trying with almost every food.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
I think what fishmech is getting at is that beans, potatoes, cabbage and rice can be prepared healthily, but are often not. Like is french fries and cole slaw a healthy meal? Maybe with a protein of refried beans? Because those are some of the most common uses for those foods in schools, that also happen to be popular with children.

I'm well aware there are somewhat healthier uses for a lot of these foods, but I doubt that school cafeteria workers are necessarily going to make delicious, healthy options when there are unhealthy choices that kids like and are very easy to make in bulk.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

You can also turn cabbage into sauerkraut and get some sausages in there for a good goddamn meal.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

Seasoning, the centerpiece of human culinary art and culture since before the invention of writing, is a recently-concocted plot by Michelle Obama to cover up the deep dark secret that potatoes don't taste like all that much. You heard it here first in USPol April.

What are you hiding under that cumin, Michelle, is it...COMMUNISM?

Cumminism.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
The real problem is that there are vending machines kids will go spend there money on if the food doesn't match their palette. This usually means something like five Doritos bags and a coke (not an exaggeration).

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Grapplejack posted:

You can also turn cabbage into sauerkraut and get some sausages in there for a good goddamn meal.

The only good kraut is a dead kraut, imo

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Grapplejack posted:

Pickling takes long enough that you may as well just buy it from companies.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I have had several friends tell me how racist Blazing Saddles is. I love this movie but I have never gotten that idea. It skewers racists and makes them look like fools. It takes stereotypes and uses those to make the racists look like idiots.

Hell, "the white Christian townspeople and cowboys look like fools" is as racist as it gets.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I have had several friends tell me how racist Blazing Saddles is. I love this movie but I have never gotten that idea. It skewers racists and makes them look like fools. It takes stereotypes and uses those to make the racists look like idiots.

Hell, "the white Christian townspeople and cowboys look like fools" is as racist as it gets.

They probably thought stuff like this scene was genuine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GRgoxWap-M

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

That's intolerable to them. Just like The Cosby Show was intolerable to them. I remember a teacher railing to me because "the white people always look like idiots." What they were seeing was white people engaged in normal sitcom hijinks, but the black people were their equals and not employed as a zip coon foil to exclaim "OH LAWD" and jump over a picket fence like Amos n Andy.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Ralepozozaxe posted:

The real problem is that there are vending machines kids will go spend there money on if the food doesn't match their palette. This usually means something like five Doritos bags and a coke (not an exaggeration).

Only in places that have had the local politicians completely conquered by the corporatocracy.

None of my schools ever had vending machines in them until the last year of high school... but that was the school cafeteria was replaced by a fast food plaza containing macdonalds and taco bell, so I am pretty sure that was the year they were conquered. (They did still make food for the poors who couldn't afford to buy from the fast food stalls but the quality plummeted and the assumption was most kids would get burgers and tacos plus sodas from the new vending machines)

Basically my point is that if the school has food vending machines the battle has probably already been lost

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

El Disco posted:

Cumminism.

drat it!

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Ralepozozaxe posted:

And those machines are there because the school needs the money they being in. Whether that is because the budgets are too low or poorly spent on top heavy administration I leave up for you.

And private schools weren't exactly much better. I have nightmares about that turkey tetrazzini.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

SedanChair posted:

What's the difference between regular nachos and macho nachos, he asked with trepidation.

They are forced to adhere to outdated and arbitrary gender roles

• Locked thread