Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Shifty Pony posted:

And those machines are there because the school needs the money they being in. Whether that is because the budgets are too low

GlyphGryph posted:

Only in places that have had the local politicians completely conquered by the corporatocracy.

Basically my point is that if the school has food vending machines the battle has probably already been lost

I went to school in Texas so you're both right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Has anyone seen Hillary's scooby-doo man lately?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

SedanChair posted:

What's the difference between regular nachos and macho nachos, he asked with trepidation.

They're full of steroids and cocaine and they lock Miss Elizabeth in a closet

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

My Imaginary GF posted:

Has anyone seen Hillary's scooby-doo man lately?

Old Man Weatherbee?!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quotes of the morning: Republican Presidential candidates on bombing Iran. Specifically, whether they agree with Tom Cotton that it'd be over in a couple days.

“Now, I don’t know if Tom is right that a military action to take out the nuclear facilities would be a couple of days or if it would be a week. I think he is correct that it would be a limited military engagement that could be done primarily with overwhelming air power.” ~ Ted Cruz.

“I think a military attack on Iran opens up pandora’s box. You’ve got to assume the worst, not the best. They could attack our bases in the region. They could cause disruption in the Gulf of Hormuz [sic — the Strait of Hormuz connects the Persian Gulf and Gulf of Oman]. It would be a messy affair.” ~ Lindsey Graham.

“I think a bombing campaign would be very difficult … as you may well know it’s not clear we could even reach a lot of the facilities.” ~ Carly Fiorina.

“I don’t think anything is quick and easy there but to me this deal is unacceptable.” ~ John Kasich.

“[I am] a strong supporter of Senator Cotton [but when] it comes to this specific issue, I don’t know what the military believes in terms of how long it would take them.” ~ Bobby Jindal.

“Tom Cotton exactly right.” ~ John Bolton.

“I have a lot of respect for Tom Cotton and I’m glad someone is speaking out against the Iranian deal because it’s absolutely one of the worst proposals I’ve ever seen ever because that puts Israel, that puts America, and puts the whole world in a very, very dangerous place.” ~ Mike Huckabee.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Lindsey Graham: Unlikely Voice of Reason

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Requesting the Grover post about the invasion of Iraq.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Riptor posted:

Old Man Weatherbee?!

"I would have been elected if it hadn't been for those meddling kids!"

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Grapplejack posted:

You can also turn cabbage into sauerkraut and get some sausages in there for a good goddamn meal.

The only good cabbage is a fermented cabbage. Every day kids can have their choice of sauerkraut or kimchi.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

withak posted:

The only good cabbage is a fermented cabbage.

Stuffed cabbage. :colbert:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Joementum posted:

“Tom Cotton exactly right.” ~ John Bolton.

:psyduck:

quote:

Former U.N. Ambassador John Bolton strongly agreed with Cotton, declaring that he is “exactly right.” Similarly, former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee said he believed a bombing campaign against Iran could be short and limited.

This guy's got some brass balls you know that? What has John Bolton ever done that was not just being hired because he is nuts?

But don't worry, if there was ever a war John Bolton wouldn't have any problem not dying in it.

wiki' posted:

"I confess I had no desire to die in a Southeast Asian rice paddy. I considered the war in Vietnam already lost." In an interview, Bolton discussed his comment in the reunion book, explaining that he decided to avoid service in Vietnam because "by the time I was about to graduate in 1970, it was clear to me that opponents of the Vietnam War had made it certain we could not prevail, and that I had no great interest in going there to have Teddy Kennedy give it back to the people I might die to take it away from."

And then Huckabee chimes in. Mike Huckabee's got thoughts about Iran. Huckabolton 2016

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It's good to know that all the Republican's believe that a bombing campaign on Iran wouldn't lead to a larger conflict.

Like seriously, they genuinely believe that Iran would just be like " Welp, those gosh darn Americans blew up our Nuclear facilities, guess we'll go back to shoveling coal Paw".

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Ralepozozaxe posted:

The real problem is that there are vending machines kids will go spend there money on if the food doesn't match their palette. This usually means something like five Doritos bags and a coke (not an exaggeration).

Back in my high school, we had 2 vending machines but the prices were ridiculous, like everything was $1.50 to $2.00 more than they'd be at a typical vending machine, and when you start out with things that are typically $0.50 to $1 that meant that practically no one ever used it.

I can only assume that there had been a contract term agreed to, and then the school district realized they didn't really want them there or kids to buy from it? It was bizarre.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

A week or so ago, someone posted a petition on the White House's website asking Obama to make Biden Master of the Realm.

I cannot find it on the site anymore. Does the White House remove petitions?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Nintendo Kid posted:

Back in my high school, we had 2 vending machines but the prices were ridiculous, like everything was $1.50 to $2.00 more than they'd be at a typical vending machine, and when you start out with things that are typically $0.50 to $1 that meant that practically no one ever used it.

I can only assume that there had been a contract term agreed to, and then the school district realized they didn't really want them there or kids to buy from it? It was bizarre.

There was some drama about vending machines at my high school and while I don't remember the specifics I think it was about getting soda out of them and only allowing gatorade and the like (which is still about as bad if you're not active but is better than just pepsi).

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

A week or so ago, someone posted a petition on the White House's website asking Obama to make Biden Master of the Realm.

I cannot find it on the site anymore. Does the White House remove petitions?

I think you may have just spelled it wrong. It's still there.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov//petition/abolish-office-vice-president-and-appoint-joe-biden-maester-realm-new-office-held-life

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

SedanChair posted:

What's the difference between regular nachos and macho nachos, he asked with trepidation.

Macho Nachos have a scoop of nasty taco meat on top.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I don't know about you guys but John Bolton is my favorite Republican candidate. Literally the Ambassador-that-believes-the-Iranians-only-understand-force caricature from Madam Secretary.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Huh. I searched "Vice President", "Biden", "Realm" and "Master" (misspelled that one) but it returned no results.

Thanks. I was afraid Dictator Obama was afraid of Biden-spiration and was trying to hold down what the people (34 of them) want.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Hollismason posted:

It's good to know that all the Republican's believe that a bombing campaign on Iran wouldn't lead to a larger conflict.

Like seriously, they genuinely believe that Iran would just be like " Welp, those gosh darn Americans blew up our Nuclear facilities, guess we'll go back to shoveling coal Paw".

“Five days or five months, but it certainly isn’t going to last longer.”

-Donald Rumsfield 11/15/2002 when asked how long he thinks the Iraq war will last.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
If you wondered how far neoreactionaries and MRAs have spread in our political system, well, they have made it to the op-eds of the NYT. They briefly hired one of those NRx "race realists" for like a week a month or so back before he was let go when people pointed out his body of work. In that link we have Ross Douthat talk about him offering the "red pill" that refutes abortion, equality, policies of economic uplift, and "progressivism" in general.

Its gonna get worse before it gets better.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Huh. I searched "Vice President", "Biden", "Realm" and "Master" (misspelled that one) but it returned no results.

Thanks. I was afraid Dictator Obama was afraid of Biden-spiration and was trying to hold down what the people (34 of them) want.

maester and master of the realm are two different things, maestor is a game of thrones thing

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Fried Chicken posted:

If you wondered how far neoreactionaries and MRAs have spread in our political system, well, they have made it to the op-eds of the NYT. They briefly hired one of those NRx "race realists" for like a week a month or so back before he was let go when people pointed out his body of work. In that link we have Ross Douthat talk about him offering the "red pill" that refutes abortion, equality, policies of economic uplift, and "progressivism" in general.

I have a hard time feigning surprise anymore. Real progress in this country seems doomed to fail because we have a society fueled more by spite than a wish to improve it.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Lindsey Graham: Unlikely Voice of Reason
loving seriously, when has this ever happened before?

Did he just wake up sane today?

These cocksuckers talking up military action when we're finally making diplomatic progress need to loving :getout:.

Evil_Greven fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 19, 2015

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Fried Chicken posted:

Hmm

quote:

the way that many idealistic and progressive-minded figures in the past took racial hierarchies for granted, arguing for white economic uplift while ignoring the more fundamental victimization of African-Americans.

Maybe contemporary progressives have entirely eliminated these sorts of blind spots. On the other hand, If you take the red pill I occasionally offer to readers of this column, you’ll see today’s progressivism as a force that has consistently liberated adults at the expense of children’s basic rights and that depends on a great deal of hidden violence

Oh someone is talking about all the violence that underlies society and the way blacks have been left out of--

quote:

— millions upon millions of abortions, above all — to sustain its particular vision of equality.
:what:

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Evil_Greven posted:

in the rush to find the insanity niche of the day one of the candidates accidentally stumbled into one of the sane areas

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

computer parts posted:

There was some drama about vending machines at my high school and while I don't remember the specifics I think it was about getting soda out of them and only allowing gatorade and the like (which is still about as bad if you're not active but is better than just pepsi).

I mainly remember that the vending machines had gatorade because it was rather nice during marching band season. Except they didn't restock them during band camp.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

Evil_Greven posted:

Nah, Lindsay's been running on not being completely loving insane, at least not on everything. Which is one of many reasons why he doesn't have a loving chance.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

Hmm

Oh someone is talking about all the violence that underlies society and the way blacks have been left out of--

:what:

Satan's help doesn't come cheap, guy.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Evil_Greven posted:

These cocksuckers talking up military action when we're finally making diplomatic progress need to loving :getout:.

Much as I agree with the sentiment, this is unnecessary.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Jagchosis posted:

Bill Cosby is only condemned for raping dozens of women because PC GONE TOO FAR

Grouchio is not trolling, presumably, he has made some amazingly idiotic and naive posts, some even in this thread!
I'm terribly sorry. I made a horrible comparison in terms of ostracism. I had meant that Mel Brook's comedy would not have flied anymore in today's hollywood industry.

Also what did I say?

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Apr 19, 2015

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I'm a bit late to school lunch chat, but my experience with school lunches in the 90's were fairly positive and I attended public schools. Yeah, they weren't exactly straight-up healthy, but as a kid I would've gone for the tastier meal over the healthy one anyway. There's gotta be like a study or something that tracks which states offer what meals, I'm really curious how bad things have gotten since.

If schools no longer serve the iconic cheese zombie (cooked on site of course) I am going to have to write my congressmen.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Freakazoid_ posted:

I'm a bit late to school lunch chat, but my experience with school lunches in the 90's were fairly positive and I attended public schools. Yeah, they weren't exactly straight-up healthy, but as a kid I would've gone for the tastier meal over the healthy one anyway. There's gotta be like a study or something that tracks which states offer what meals, I'm really curious how bad things have gotten since.

If schools no longer serve the iconic cheese zombie (cooked on site of course) I am going to have to write my congressmen.
I doubt the state government has much say about school lunches other than mandating basic cost and nutrition requirements.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Grouchio posted:

I had meant that Mel Brook's comedy would not have flied anymore in today's hollywood industry.
You're right on that basic point. Despite Blazing Saddles' anti-racist message, the fact is that the jokes and language and level of stereotyping would absolutely not be allowed in a hollywood movie these days. Anyone who hasn't watched Blazing Saddles lately and is going off memory, please just re-watch the first 5 minutes and you'll see that this is true.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
I think even the food I had in jail was more palatable than the food at my elementary school. At least in jail they wouldn't even gently caress around with hot food and just gave you some lovely bland sandwich with "cake" instead of square cardboard pizza with cheese that had the consistency of plastic.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Jimbozig posted:

You're right on that basic point. Despite Blazing Saddles' anti-racist message, the fact is that the jokes and language and level of stereotyping would absolutely not be allowed in a hollywood movie these days. Anyone who hasn't watched Blazing Saddles lately and is going off memory, please just re-watch the first 5 minutes and you'll see that this is true.

In order to watch the first 5 minutes of Blazing Saddles, I'm gonna need a shitload of dimes.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Phone posted:

In order to watch the first 5 minutes of Blazing Saddles, I'm gonna need a shitload of dimes.

Careful, or I'll have to dock you a day's pay for nappin' on the job.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

MaxxBot posted:

I think even the food I had in jail was more palatable than the food at my elementary school. At least in jail they wouldn't even gently caress around with hot food and just gave you some lovely bland sandwich with "cake" instead of square cardboard pizza with cheese that had the consistency of plastic.

I remember liking the cheese enchiladas served, so very fake-cheesy!

I disliked the square pizzas in elementary. In middle & high school the pizzas were 'upgraded' to NY-slices with round pepperoni.

The salad option in high school was cool.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
The pizza slices at my high school were soggy and more limp than a flaccid dick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

We did have things like chicken wraps but they were chicken fingers stuck inside a flaccid tortilla. For $1.75 you could get a basket of French fries. For $3 you could get a Papa John's pan pizza. We got Coke machines but they were always broken.

I will never get the taste of the "turkey gravy", watery turkey bits stuck in a disgusting yellow gravy-like substance, out of my mind.

• Locked thread