Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hobo By Design
Mar 17, 2009

Hobo By Intent or Robo Hobo?
Ramrod XTreme
I ended up ragequitting the polar Kerbol contract. My final rocket stage was just a big tank of fuel on four nukes. A Mun+Duna slingshot kicked up my orbit, close to the plane of the target orbit even, but not nearly as much as I hoped. I needed an hour-long 4k burn after that and haha, nope.

I ended up making a million exploring the moons around Jool and practiced aerobraking. Aerobraking is a lot of fun, when it works!

Hobo By Design fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Apr 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Hobo By Design posted:

I ended up ragequitting the polar Kerbol contract. My final rocket stage was just a big tank of fuel on four nukes. A Mun+Duna slingshot kicked up my orbit, close to the plane of the target orbit even, but not nearly as much as I hoped. I needed an hour-long 4k burn after that and haha, nope.

I ended up making a million exploring the moons around Jool and practiced aerobraking. Aerobraking is a lot of fun, when it works!
Depending on the number of parts and physical size of your craft, you can use physical time acceleration to take that down to a quarter.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

maltesh posted:

If you're going to do it efficiently, this is another jobn for the bi-elliptic transfer.

Wait until Kerbin is crossing the plane of the target orbit.

Ser up a burn that has you leaving Kerbin's SOI along its direction of travel with a very, very distant solar Apoapsis.

Coast out to wherever that solar orbit crosses the plane of the target orbit. Do your plane change there, when you're moving /really/ slow. Also raise your periapse to touch the target orbit, then come back in and match the target orbit.

You'd save quite a bit of delta-V doing that (I'd estimate that the low limit would be on the order of 5-6km/s from LKO. On the other hand, it takes a /heck/ of a lot of time on the bi-elliptic transfer to push the costs down that low.

This post is where it is at.

edit: this diagram may help to visualize

Corky Romanovsky fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Apr 19, 2015

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I found a welding mod for combining things into single parts in the VAB, but is there one that lets you do it to something already in orbit?

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
Would an ion-engine scooter be enough to explore the surface of Dres with, or is the gravity too strong?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

For a spaceplane, is it a good idea to have the center of lift slightly forward of the center of mass so it tends to nose up? It's a bit of a pain in the rear end to keep it headed upwards when the center of lift is behind. It flies fairly stably but I want it going up, not straight.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Grand Fromage posted:

For a spaceplane, is it a good idea to have the center of lift slightly forward of the center of mass so it tends to nose up? It's a bit of a pain in the rear end to keep it headed upwards when the center of lift is behind. It flies fairly stably but I want it going up, not straight.

No, you want the mass sliiightly in front of the lift. This is so when it starts to stall you gently tip forward, rather than doing backflips.

What you need is more control surfaces.

Or RCS/SAS

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Apr 19, 2015

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It seems to work okay, has a nice stable climb. However I just had my RAPIER engines switch to rocket automatically, as they should. But then the ones on the left side switched back to air breathing by themselves and flamed out and the inevitable occurred. :argh:

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Grand Fromage posted:

It seems to work okay, has a nice stable climb. However I just had my RAPIER engines switch to rocket automatically, as they should. But then the ones on the left side switched back to air breathing by themselves and flamed out and the inevitable occurred. :argh:

Yeah. You want RAPIER engines on manual all the time, every time. Auto is a little finicky.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I can get to orbit pretty reliably with a spaceplane now, but it burns up basically all my fuel. They seem so inefficient compared to rockets, I'm not sure I see the point. I must be screwing something up.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Grand Fromage posted:

I can get to orbit pretty reliably with a spaceplane now, but it burns up basically all my fuel. They seem so inefficient compared to rockets, I'm not sure I see the point. I must be screwing something up.

And that's why we don't have spaceplanes and the SLS is a rocket.

With aero revamp, they'll save you some fuel, but you'll still be limited in your payloads. Their real benefit is for stuff like LKO small satellite release, kerbonaut ferrying, and maybe refuelling---so you do your thing, then bring back the ship for 97-100% recovery and the only expenditure is fuel. Of course, if you're swimming in funds or in sandbox there really isn't any point outside of looking cool.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

That's what I was thinking after I posted that, am I bad at spaceplanes or is this just an accurate simulation of being cool but pointless? :v:

I'm just working on a cooler ship for taking crew to/from my space station, I wasn't planning to do much with it. But I can't get to orbit with enough fuel to get to the space station unless I send over my orbital tanker to refuel it, which is just making the whole thing pointless.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
We also don't have any functional SABRE (or RAPIER as KSP calls it) engines yet. Without those any real life space plane is essentially just a rocket with wings anyway.
If the Skylon ever works out as intended it's going to cut launch costs per kilo payload by about 23(!) times.

E: I made a little tiny plane that is absurdly fun to fly with NEAR.

It's all stock except for the TweakScale'd circular intake and whatever mod the curved solar panel comes from. (Near Future Solar I think)
It managed 1300 m/s at an altitude <1000 meters, and pointing the nose 45 degrees up with full throttle right from take-off put it at an apoapsis of 90 kilometers. Again, in NEAR. No idea how it handles in the stock atmosphere.

Groetgaffel fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Apr 19, 2015

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I strongly recommend a canard setup if you're having trouble with pitch authority. That also lets you put your wings far back to help with getting your CoM ahead of your Col (since the engines tend to be the heaviest part on a space plane)

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Hey Max or RoverDude, quick question- will the resource parts be in a separate tab so they don't clog up the Utility tab? That tab in itself is pretty cramped and unorganized already, adding more parts might make it even worse.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Really, most tabs are getting there. Can't we get some form of Part Catalog as stock, or at least the option to sort by size?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Luneshot posted:

Hey Max or RoverDude, quick question- will the resource parts be in a separate tab so they don't clog up the Utility tab? That tab in itself is pretty cramped and unorganized already, adding more parts might make it even worse.

A good idea.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Luneshot posted:

To me that really does feel like a big bit of polish that 1.0 needs.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

M_Gargantua posted:

To me that really does feel like a big bit of polish that 1.0 needs.

... You can make your own tabs already. It would be nice to have the Utilities tab seperated, yes, but you can make your own tabs! That's a good workaround for now.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Inglonias posted:

... You can make your own tabs already. It would be nice to have the Utilities tab seperated, yes, but you can make your own tabs! That's a good workaround for now.

You can make your own tabs already, BUT to display and select them you need to keep the full advanced filter interface open. Which is really annoying and only increases confusion.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
I accidentally did a Bad Thing in HyperEdit and put Jool's orbit just outside of the sun. Please tell me how to revert this because deleting my old save isn't helping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dh0jz-WcF_0

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Oh god, the music in your vid gave me an idea - is there some way to mod the EVE soundtrack into KSP? I don't think I would play anything else if I had that.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Just mute the in game music, alt-tab, and play the EVE soundtrack on your music program of choice?

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

There's just something magical about how the kerbal music kicks in the moment you leave the atmosphere. Maybe after finals I'll make a project of a proper soundtrack mod.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Just mute the in game music, alt-tab, and play the EVE soundtrack on your music program of choice?

Always liked alienhands remixes of the eve soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSWJKBxRXuo

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

In his star ruler 2 video Manley let slip he'd do a special announcement stream next weekend - so I assume/hope we will soon see the full power of this fully armed and operational battle station.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

karl fungus posted:

I accidentally did a Bad Thing in HyperEdit and put Jool's orbit just outside of the sun. Please tell me how to revert this because deleting my old save isn't helping.

I'm sorry I can't help you but I'm laughing my rear end off at this

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

karl fungus posted:

:weed:

Nashun
Apr 18, 2015

karl fungus posted:

I see no problems at all with this situatin. Jeb surely doesn't.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Groetgaffel posted:

Really, most tabs are getting there. Can't we get some form of Part Catalog as stock, or at least the option to sort by size?

PartCatalog was great. I really miss it, the UI overhaul wasn't even close. I legitimately barely ever use the newer VAB stuff. It's just not very practical.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

This post is where it is at.

edit: this diagram may help to visualize

If you're careful with your encounters you can save deltaV and time by using Jool to kick up your inclination with a well placed encounter, add a burn at perijool and you'll maximize the oberth effect for profit.

Given infinite time you can go out to near infinity and use less fuel, but the Jool encounter will make the whole thing a lot faster.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
One week guys

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuZRHGIvWho

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Inacio posted:

PartCatalog was great. I really miss it, the UI overhaul wasn't even close. I legitimately barely ever use the newer VAB stuff. It's just not very practical.

Have you tried Filter Extensions? It's /sort/ of a spiritual successor to PartCatalog.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Oh jesus that face.

It's like she's breathing Joker's laughing gas or whatever the gently caress it was from the animated series.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Trivia posted:

Oh jesus that face.

It's like she's breathing Joker's laughing gas or whatever the gently caress it was from the animated series.

Val is happy. You want her to stay happy, don't you?

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK
That was basically my face when I read that 1.0 is only a week away.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde

Maxmaps posted:

Val is happy. You want her to stay happy, don't you?

You won't be very happy if you read that YouTube comment section.

Just don't. :(

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

quote:

This Valentina physically threatened me!

Any funny ideas that involve shaming these posts/posters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

karl fungus posted:

You won't be very happy if you read that YouTube comment section.

Just don't. :(

Eh, I numbed out after the first reveal. By now it's just the internet being the internet.