Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Actually, gently caress the A-44. gently caress its slidiness, gently caress its lack of gun depression, gently caress its guns, gently caress its unlucky armor. gently caress. gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
The A-44 is fun when you actually hit something with its massive gun. The rest of the time it was a pain in the butt. I didn't care much for it. The A-43 was much more fun. The 416 is all right and the 430 II is king of sidescraper-gently caress-you-mountain.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Missing Name posted:

Actually, gently caress the A-44. gently caress its slidiness, gently caress its lack of gun depression, gently caress its guns, gently caress its unlucky armor. gently caress. gently caress.

Yessss, goooood, let the anger consume you!

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
I'm trying to get back back into this game after a long absence, but I just wanted to make sure I've got my mods installed right.

I'm using McGavin's modpack.

I've got the fonts and res folder down, but for res_mods, do I just copy paste everything that's in the res_mods folder for the modpack into the res_mods folder in the WoT directory? Or do I need to copy paste everything from the res_mods/9.6 folder in the modpack? Just checking, as I saw no instructions with the modpack itself.

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Apr 19, 2015

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Missing Name posted:

Also for some weird reason the A-44 have the lowest DPM of all tier7 mediums. gently caress that tank.

srb
Jul 24, 2007

WitchFetish posted:

Arty is really important because it prevents camping.

*everyone hugs any arty cover that's available and refuses to move one inch during the entire game from fear of being annihilated by something that can one shot them from outside their drawing range*

The super high damage implementation of artillery in WoT (and seemingly AW?) is just really, really puzzling. Game designers should be able to come up with a better way

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

So my client has been stuck in a endless loop of 'updating crew' on the sever side. Did they change something, and than broke it? as it never gets past this point

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Stevefin posted:

So my client has been stuck in a endless loop of 'updating crew' on the sever side. Did they change something, and than broke it? as it never gets past this point

I got the same thing. Disabling my mods fixed it and updating them would probably have worked too. Not sure which particular one was the culprit.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Welp time to quit for the day....no way am I going to top this game (haha jokes on me stop playing tanks :suicide:)

4200 damage. 27,500 WN8. 9 kills. I don't even know.

http://wotreplays.com/site/1811141#lakeville-crazedkid103-churchill_vii

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So I made a spreadsheet of all my tank wealth, and the total (non premium tanks, equipment, consumables and credits, gently caress counting shells) amounted to 168 millions and then some.

What I'm saying is please kill me.

primelaw
Apr 4, 2012

The most southern dandy robot judge

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Welp time to quit for the day....no way am I going to top this game (haha jokes on me stop playing tanks :suicide:)

:stonk:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

JosefStalinator posted:

I'm trying to get back back into this game after a long absence, but I just wanted to make sure I've got my mods installed right.

I'm using McGavin's modpack.

I've got the fonts and res folder down, but for res_mods, do I just copy paste everything that's in the res_mods folder for the modpack into the res_mods folder in the WoT directory? Or do I need to copy paste everything from the res_mods/9.6 folder in the modpack? Just checking, as I saw no instructions with the modpack itself.

Just overwrite the res and res_mods folders in the WoT directory with the ones in the mod pack.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

srb posted:

The super high damage implementation of artillery in WoT (and seemingly AW?) is just really, really puzzling. Game designers should be able to come up with a better way

Take WoT's arty mechanics of long load times, long aim time, and high alpha damage and think the opposite of each one.

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

That's the FV304 and it's even more annoying then normal arty.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Infected posted:

That's the FV304 and it's even more annoying then normal arty.

Except the FV304 is magic and can fire shells straight up into the air. If it had a more normal flight trajectory it wouldn't be quite as bad. In general artillery is just a bad mechanic no matter how you swing it.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

I'm down with this "turn every SPG into the leFH" plan.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Agrajag posted:

Take WoT's arty mechanics of long load times, long aim time, and high alpha damage and think the opposite of each one.
When does this poo poo start happening? Seriously I've been trying to start playing my SPGs again, not just whizz around in Panzers or blunder forth in my t5 premium heavies. I get all of these except the alpha damage because sure the gently caress enough the motherfucker always backs out of my aiming reticule JUST as I fire!!

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

High splash, medium-low damage, no penetrations possible would turn it into the area denial tool its supposed to be. It'll never change in WoT, but I had hopes that in AW it would be less awful.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

I've got my Awfulpanther, now what do I do?

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Missing Name posted:

Kill you are self.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Grakkus posted:

High splash, medium-low damage, no penetrations possible would turn it into the area denial tool its supposed to be. It'll never change in WoT, but I had hopes that in AW it would be less awful.

Yeah, as it is now, I really don't enjoy the whole occasional finger of god, but usually whiff for no damage mechanic that spgs have going on. Especially in pub matches where my team flat out refuses to keep targets spotted, or god forbid, track them long enough to line up a good shot. I would much rather have artillery changed to a wide area splash, low damage tool with a high flight angle to flush out camping clusters of tanks that are hiding behind cover.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Weltlich posted:

Yeah, as it is now, I really don't enjoy the whole occasional finger of god, but usually whiff for no damage mechanic that spgs have going on. Especially in pub matches where my team flat out refuses to keep targets spotted, or god forbid, track them long enough to line up a good shot. I would much rather have artillery changed to a wide area splash, low damage tool with a high flight angle to flush out camping clusters of tanks that are hiding behind cover.

Nope, it still breaks the game just in a different way. A mechanic where one can fire without any way for the one being shot at to counter is a broken mechanic.

If arty stays as is then I'll probably stick to WoT.

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Apr 19, 2015

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

rex rabidorum vires posted:

That's it, you have won WoT. No need to play anymore.

On a second note IOC are losing members like crazy, so chalk one more up for Hellsau.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Missing Name posted:

Snipe with the konich or ram other lights for laughs.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Agrajag posted:

Nope, it still breaks the game just in a different way. A mechanic where one can fire without any way for the one being shot at to counter is a broken mechanic.

If arty stays as is then I'll probably stick to WoT.

In that case, I'd be for bringing back arty tracers so that there can be effective counter-battery fire. Alternatively, reduce the range on most arty, increase the firing angle, and let arty move with the battle instead of hunkering down in a corner of the map and waiting on an enemy scout tank to pull up 15 seconds into a 45 second reload

As it is, arty is just high stakes rng gambling.

Edit: or add a toggle for high/low angle fire with a 15 second cool down. High angle for short range up-and-over obstacles. Low angle for long range, cross map shots.

Weltlich fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 19, 2015

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

:negative:

gently caress it, I'm done for the day, I can't take it.

My team went to go cap, changed their mind and went for a reset, and then changed their minds again.

Missing Name fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Apr 19, 2015

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Grakkus posted:

They should make it like company of heroes. arty is just a jeep that calls in vertical artillery strikes preceded by flares on the ground. you'd never hit a non-retarded moving target, but you'd be able to flush people out of cover.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Do you guys have tanks you just cannot win in? My winrate for my SU-152 is just downright pathetic. 45% or something. But I'm not playing especially poorly or anything. I just lost six games in a row - I did poorly in maybe one of those. It's just utterly incomprehensible. It's like this tank was constructed on an Indian burial ground.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Azhais posted:

They should make it like company of heroes. arty is just a jeep that calls in vertical artillery strikes preceded by flares on the ground. you'd never hit a non-retarded moving target, but you'd be able to flush people out of cover.

This is a great implementation of the concept and probably how it should be in any future game, but since AW already has the SPGs modeled we probably won't see it there sadly.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

How does the AMX-30B compare to the Leopard 1? (I know its not out yet) I want to get at least one of them.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Honestly just having a marker on the ground to show where arty is targeting would be good enough.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
Okay fellas, I have seen gifs of this game so I had to try, going to start my newbie run on a Soviet/Russian medium tech tree, based on reading the OPs, any changes that might make my decision a poor one?

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Usually people recommend the American/Soviet heavy lines but yeah failing that the soviet mediums are pretty great. That line also ends in several excellent tier 10s. The thing with mediums though is that they are more dependent on knowing the maps so it may take you some time to fall into their groove. Also brace yourself for some of the worst pub play that videogamedom has to offer.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Blindeye posted:

Okay fellas, I have seen gifs of this game so I had to try, going to start my newbie run on a Soviet/Russian medium tech tree, based on reading the OPs, any changes that might make my decision a poor one?

Really should learn to play with Heavy tanks. Mediums are great but you generally get punished hard for your mistakes. Heavies get the luxory of having armor and more HP that makes mistakes not as bad generally.

VV If you have a certain amount of pen it doesn't matter where you shoot the SP it'll go all the way through.

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 19, 2015

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
A little late on this, but who even shoots at the SP's front hull except dumb people? If I can't get a flank shot at one I always shoot them in the top of the turret.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Blindeye posted:

Play heavies, they're easier.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Blindeye posted:

If you're determined to go through the Soviet mediums, grind the T-60->T-70->T-80 line to the T-34. They're pretty good tanks in their own right, and better than the other options.

As others have said, going to the KV-1 first is probably the easiest option, though the KV-1's playstyle is pretty dissimilar from the tier 2-4 tanks before it.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Play heavies, they're easier.

Soviet Heavies it is!

Edit: How much time does it take to go up a few different tech trees?

Blindeye fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 19, 2015

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I'm quite liking the T-50 at the moment. It's not bad for a tier IV shitwagon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Blindeye posted:

Soviet Heavies it is!

Edit: How much time does it take to go up a few different tech trees?

You can get to tier 6 in most tech trees pretty quickly. After that, xp and credit costs start to get higher. You'll probably only be able to actively grind one line at a time, unless you're polka (RIP).

I forgot how long it took to get my first tier 10, but I wasn't really beelining for it. I think it'd be like, a month of moderate playing to get a tier 10?