Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.
With the UK elections coming up, an online magazine which I follow reproduced some old anti-suffragette cartoons.

It's interesting how closely they mimic some of the usual suspects here, especially with the recent anti-Hillary ones.

Women amirite?

So, dumb and goddamn crazy - also ugly.
(You gotta give me the fangs.)

It's funny because it's torture!

ICWT is apparently a reference to the International Council of Women

I just hope that no-one ends up looking like a fool

Also a personal favourite which I know has been here before:

Not giving a gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Some random stuff from Fritz Behrendt. Some things interest me more than others, for obvious reasons.

If anyone sprechens the lingo, feel free to translate.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Doubtful Guest posted:

With the UK elections coming up, an online magazine which I follow reproduced some old anti-suffragette cartoons.

It's interesting how closely they mimic some of the usual suspects here, especially with the recent anti-Hillary ones.

This one's obviously pro-sufferage. Also, I want to know the name of that e-zine.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Xander77 posted:

If anyone sprechens the lingo, feel free to translate.

Well, this one is "Who has no guru?"

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

It's an odd blend of comfort and worry that this stuff inspires in me.

On the one hand, it's comforting that the only arguments they could muster were 'women are too stupid' or 'only uglies care,' (with a dash of 'hey let's cause them harm') because those are provably stupid arguments.

On the other, we are STILL SEEING THOSE SAME EXACT loving ARGUMENTS.

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.

Mr. Squishy posted:

This one's obviously pro-sufferage. Also, I want to know the name of that e-zine.

Oh, yeah. I kept that one in even though it was pro-sufferage. Forgot to note it.

The magazine is the Vagenda - http://vagendamagazine.com This was one of their more Buzzfeedy '7 images to show why women should vote in May' articles - some of the other 'Wimmin want to wear pants!' images were ones I found when searching to see what ICWT meant.

Somfin posted:

It's an odd blend of comfort and worry that this stuff inspires in me.

On the one hand, it's comforting that the only arguments they could muster were 'women are too stupid' or 'only uglies care,' (with a dash of 'hey let's cause them harm') because those are provably stupid arguments.

On the other, we are STILL SEEING THOSE SAME EXACT loving ARGUMENTS.

I know what you mean. It's depressing to see the same 'Women are only feministssuffragettes because they're too old, ugly, bitter to get a man.'

Also lots of repeats of 'What if this minority group treated US like we treat them' panic - which we mostly see in this thread about race. My parents have a big print of a French Suffragette poster which is basically wringing hands about men being compelled to wash up, cook and change babies while women hunt, gamble and drink.

Also pants. Anti-suffragette cartoons seem obsessed by women wearing trousers.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Here's Mallard's "origin" story, drawn as part of a sales kit the syndicate sent out to newspapers.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

i love this sort of line work. thanks for posting, these things are always interesting.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Mister Beeg posted:

Here's Mallard's "origin" story, drawn as part of a sales kit the syndicate sent out to newspapers.

A serial workplace sex offender, that's some quality children's reading material right there

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

this is some Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark poo poo right here

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Here are the first week of "Mallard" strips, from June 6-11, 1994. I might go back and post all the older strips here, from the beginning (based on availability, of course. Those newspaper archives are pretty spotty)

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Wow, crack dealer crossfire. Ker-black!

And those sufferagette cartoons are terribly brutal. Even my college courses showed perhaps a few more watered-down images, so many of those are just ghastly.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

A serial workplace sex offender, that's some quality children's reading material right there

No, he just complemented her shoes and then she overreacted like the typical liberal woman she is! Why can't a man just compliment a woman anymore, eh? Now let's talk about how evil teachers are and why the judge who gave me a DUI is a big fat idiot the liberal activist courts are destroying America.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Its absolutely astounding to me how much better drunk duck used to be. I mean plotlines, backgrounds, different angles, people doing things. Amazing. Usually you watch an artist grow, not de-evolve like his art was shot with koopa's gun from the Mario movie.

Vogon Poet
Jun 18, 2004

Someone bought me this custom title because they think I kick ass at Photoshop. They happen to be right.
If only DC didn't have such strict gun control, the Senator could have drawn a gun and defended himself against the guy who was already pointing a gun at him.

It is amazing, though, how much more effort Tinsley was clearly putting into the strip back then compared to now.

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Doubtful Guest posted:

ICWT is apparently a reference to the International Council of Women

It's the weight of the block ("1 cwt" meaning one hundredweight)

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Oh no! :monocle: A politician doing things that make them seem more like regular people! No one's ever done that before!

It's almost like businesses who make money off of helping people fill out complicated forms keep lobbying congress to keep those forms complicated.

Nah!

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Technowolf posted:

Oh no! :monocle: A politician doing things that make them seem more like regular people! No one's ever done that before!

I think Chipotlegate is the perfect example you can give to any person who doubts that conservatives hate the Clintons way more than they ever hated Obama. We all remember Mustardgate but that was limited to one segment on Hannity whereas this is a full-blown scandal in their eyes and everyone's gotta chime in on it.

Vartiter
Nov 15, 2008

Ha! How can Hillary be for economic fairness, when she herself earns a paycheck?!

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Mister Beeg posted:

Here are the first week of "Mallard" strips, from June 6-11, 1994. I might go back and post all the older strips here, from the beginning (based on availability, of course. Those newspaper archives are pretty spotty)

This fuckin' duck...

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Republicans posted:

I think Chipotlegate is the perfect example you can give to any person who doubts that conservatives hate the Clintons way more than they ever hated Obama. We all remember Mustardgate but that was limited to one segment on Hannity whereas this is a full-blown scandal in their eyes and everyone's gotta chime in on it.

Also, the Private Server connection... to the monitor? I don't even know.

It also appears to be pointing at the wire that goes to the mouse and not the wire that goes off the desk.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Mallard Fillmore Week 2 (June 13-18, 1994)

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

WarpedNaba posted:

It feels good that I will never suck as hard as he does. Honestly, after twenty-ish years of work his style got worse.
It's not that its become worse it's just that he's gotten so loving lazy about it. Look at the actual jokes! Marvel at characters other than drunk duck appearing! Be amazed at basic concepts like backgrounds and movement through a scene!

Mister Beeg posted:

PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD STOP! Have we wronged you in some way, Mr. beeg? Why must you punish us?!

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
There's no point to catching up on Mallard Fillmore because even if you do you're still weeks behind.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

JJ designed a new Canadian flag

Acropolis
Feb 21, 2014

Mister Beeg posted:

The most striking thing about these is that the duck actually has expressions, granted most of the are frustrated brow furrowing. It's a strange change to the glassy eyed cocked brow that is modern mallard.

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

I know it's a cheap shot, but :laugh:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Enough drunky duck, let's look at some truly insightful newspaper strips:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

:chord:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Marty Two Bulls continues to be one of the best political cartoonists in this thread. :swoon:

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Rincewinds posted:

If Tinsley have not been going downhill and Mallard have always been poo poo, how is it syndicated?

He produces reliably.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Alright, does anyone else read this and see Girl Mouthpiece as George Costanza and Winslow as Jerry or Kramer?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Ok, we need smugeagler right now.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Ague Proof posted:

It shouldn't really come as a shock but it feels weird knowing Mallard Fillmore is older than I am.

The shock to me is that it isn't older than I am. I don't remember there being a day mallard fillmore wasn't there. I saw it next to calvin and hobbes. I assumed it was at least from the 70s. It's hosed up to think of it in terms of The Simpsons being on season loving five, homer was teaching a marriage class at the learning annex and two weeks later bruce tinsley gets syndicated for the first time.

It's so terrible I thought it was carrying on by inertia from decades past and baby boomers refusing to let anything change while they're in charge. Like the wizard of id or blondie.

Goddamn I'm not on the most recent page yet sorry if everyone's tired of talking about our thread's origin story by now.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Krinkle posted:

The shock to me is that it isn't older than I am. I don't remember there being a day mallard fillmore wasn't there. I saw it next to calvin and hobbes. I assumed it was at least from the 70s. It's hosed up to think of it in terms of The Simpsons being on season loving five, homer was teaching a marriage class at the learning annex and two weeks later bruce tinsley gets syndicated for the first time.

It's so terrible I thought it was carrying on by inertia from decades past and baby boomers refusing to let anything change while they're in charge. Like the wizard of id or blondie.

Goddamn I'm not on the most recent page yet sorry if everyone's tired of talking about our thread's origin story by now.

That's kind of the same way I see Fox news.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Stultus Maximus posted:

Jesus Christ, six days of this poo poo? I miss READY READY READY READY already.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Stultus Maximus posted:

See, it's insightful because it's so loving vague it can be applied to anything! "I GENERICALLY GIVE UP" "You shouldn't generically give up" "You're right, it is correct and proper to not give up" And then you're supposed to insert your own context. Me, I assume she's talking about smoking, and Winslow is the worst friend in the world.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Weird to see M2B use a bald eagle as the voice of reason given how evl his Uncle Sam is.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Mr. Squishy posted:

Weird to see M2B use a bald eagle as the voice of reason given how evl his Uncle Sam is.

The eagle was here before Uncle Sam, and Marty is takin' it back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Somfin posted:

See, it's insightful because it's so loving vague it can be applied to anything! "I GENERICALLY GIVE UP" "You shouldn't generically give up" "You're right, it is correct and proper to not give up" And then you're supposed to insert your own context. Me, I assume she's talking about smoking, and Winslow is the worst friend in the world.

I figured it was about working for the rabbits.

• Locked thread