Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

It's time for a classic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKpBbGk202g

R.I.P @ 3.09

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts
I feel that a significant question to ask in The Great Butter Battle of 2015 is, are we talking salted or unsalted butter?

Also all the talk of "American bread" really confuses me, but then I suppose Alaska must be a mystical wonderland not meant for this mortal realm, cause most of the bread here, even the dirt-cheap dollar-loaves, is local whole grain.

Anyway

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Would.

:gonk:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Picnic Princess posted:

My mom's friend used to put butter on peanut butter and jam, and peanut butter and honey sandwiches. She'd layer the butter on as thick as everything else. I threw up once after trying to eat one. To this day, I can't eat peanut butter and honey sandwiches. I can handle a lightly buttered bread that is then toasted, but just cold butter on bread is just not appealing at all.

You threw up eating a pb and honey sandwich

What kind of picnic royalty are you it's time to be deposed

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

When you 'butter' bread you use a thin scraping, not slather it like you do mayo. Unless you're my mum.
Also very few people nowadays use actual butter as opposed to 'low fat spread' or whatever the name is.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Someone probably thinks Wonder Bread is the gold standard of American cuisine rather than what poor people eat because it's cheap as poo poo.

I ate many a PB&J sandwich in my youth but never once did it cross my mind to introduce butter into the equation, either for the flavor contribution or to insulate the bread from dreaded moisture. My bread always held up fine after sitting in a brown bag all morning. But then I was using this bread: http://www.gianteagle.com/45000125056.aspx

I had Wonder Bread a few times as a kid and it always tasted wrong and weird, both flavorless and chemical-y at the same time. And I wouldn't be surprised if it fell apart at the drop of a hat and had to be buttered to fat-gently caress dimensions in order to withstand jam.

E: Especially ^^ yeah, if they're using actual butter that has to be warmed in order to spread without tearing the bread to poo poo. Who has that kind of time when getting ready for the bus? gently caress Italian restaurants that give you little refrigerated wrapped butter pats that you have to skewer over the little candle before you can put them on the cold bread that isn't cut through all the way.

Data Graham has a new favorite as of 13:17 on Apr 19, 2015

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen
That's just a curryworst/frikandel with some mayonaise.

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008

Data Graham posted:

Someone probably thinks Wonder Bread is the gold standard of American cuisine rather than what poor people eat because it's cheap as poo poo.

Except not, because it really isn't. Wonder Bread usually costs at least a dollar more than the store brand, which almost always comes in both "white" and "wheat" varieties. Of course, both are still full of corn syrup, because America, but the "wheat" isn't typically a loaf of white cake, AND if you compare by weight, the store brand "twelve grain" averages out to just pennies more per slice.

Where us poors really get hosed is hamburger/sandwich/hotdog buns, where even the store brand charges three dollars more for two less buns per package if you want anything besides white sugar bullshit. Somehow the transition from square slice to round bun is so arduous that it justifies charging me 80% more.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Are you loving kidding me?! would.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

I thought this was going to be some Japanese thing, like a takoyaki pizza or something. I was prepared to defend it.

But no, it's cheese puffs covered in melted cheddar and then baked with more cheese.

an overdue owl
Feb 26, 2012

hoot

American butter tastes bad compared to proper British butter.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

an overdue owl posted:

American butter is very pure fat and milk solids, and it has a very neutral flavor.European butter is made with lactobacterial cultures.

The traditional method was to let the cream sour slightly before churning, but now the lactobacteria culture is added separately. The culture is what gives butter its flavor, really. In the US, people pay premium for Irish and Danish butter.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

so brits dislike our rotten chocolate and americans dislike the brits rotten butter

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
There's something magical about complaining about adding sugar to a bread recipe but ardently defending slathering it in butter before using it for any purpose like a sad british Paula Deen.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

an overdue owl posted:

Is there really supposed to be a difference between american and european butter in general, or is it only a British thing? The butter I get in Switzerland tastes pretty much identical to the butter back at home.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
If you don't use any sugar in your bread, how do you get a decent rise out of the yeast?

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

PCOS Bill posted:

If you don't use any sugar in your bread, how do you get a decent rise out of the yeast?

Duh, the yeast gives the rise, you need nothing but yeast, water, and flower, gee I thought you were smart.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Senior Scarybagels posted:

Duh, the yeast gives the rise, you need nothing but yeast, water, and flower, gee I thought you were smart.

Not sure if you're being insincere or aren't very bright.

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

Sakurazuka posted:

When you 'butter' bread you use a thin scraping, not slather it like you do mayo. Unless you're my mum.
Also very few people nowadays use actual butter as opposed to 'low fat spread' or whatever the name is.

I don't get why the butter on sandwiches is considered gross. It's just a super thin layer of it, fergodsakes.

PCOS Bill posted:

Probably has no clue how yeast works.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Real talk, the true best thing to add to a pb&j is either a fried egg or crunchy potato chips (or both! :yum:)

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

PCOS Bill posted:

Can't it be both?

I am being insincere

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Aristophanes posted:

I used to like eating salt. Just straight salt, sprinkled into my mouth. Plus I used to really like chicken flavoured chips dipped into caramel flavoured yoghurt as an after school snack.
I used to eat bullion cubes, which are salt blocks with flavor. The flavor is more salt.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

PCOS Bill posted:

I'll bite... So what exactly is the role of sugar in the reaction? I never knew sugar played a part myself, so I'm interested to learn.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
yeast are organisms. they eat sugar and expel gas.

you need happily farting yeast in order to get risen bread

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

EZipperelli posted:

I'll bite... So what exactly is the role of sugar in the reaction? I never knew sugar played a part myself, so I'm interested to learn.

You can technically get a rise without sugar, just not much of one.

Fox Cunning
Jun 21, 2006

salt-induced orgasm in the mouth
What exactly do you brainiacs think starch is made of?

Also sandwiches are basically buttered by default in Scandinavia.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

The Saddest Rhino posted:

You threw up eating a pb and honey sandwich

What kind of picnic royalty are you it's time to be deposed

My sincerest apologies that I don't have proper goon taste and couldn't eat a quarter stick of cold butter smeared on bread with some other stuff that tasted like crap when all mixed together.

BRB gonna go kill myself now.

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

You can technically get a rise without sugar, just not much of one.

I learned the hard way that yeast are dehydrated with some sugar in them. One day, in the lab we were working on some batch fermentation. I put yeast into a flask and added water, then put a stopper in it to shake it. It sat for about a half hour hydrating while I was mixing up the other additions (antibiotics, enzymes, etc). When it was time to add the yeast I picked up the yeast flask by the top with the stopper against my palm and gave it a little shake. That flask shot out of my hand and made one hell of a mess.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

I heart bacon posted:

I learned the hard way that yeast are dehydrated with some sugar in them. One day, in the lab we were working on some batch fermentation. I put yeast into a flask and added water, then put a stopper in it to shake it. It sat for about a half hour hydrating while I was mixing up the other additions (antibiotics, enzymes, etc). When it was time to add the yeast I picked up the yeast flask by the top with the stopper against my palm and gave it a little shake. That flask shot out of my hand and made one hell of a mess.

Yeah, but it's not enough to give a good rise to the bread.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

There was a time when I was in grade school when my mom insisted on putting butter on my peanut butter sandwiches and wouldn't stop for a couple of weeks. It was seriously awful.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Internet Wizard posted:

There was a time when I was in grade school when my mom insisted on putting butter on my peanut butter sandwiches and wouldn't stop for a couple of weeks. It was seriously awful.

I never put any barrier fat on my sandwiches, and they are always fine.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
There's a huge difference between a teaspoon of sugar for rising, and the American style of having the finished loaf being 50% sugar by weight.

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

Yeah, but it's not enough to give a good rise to the bread.

Yeah, definitely not. Just enough to pressure up a small flask and surprise a meatheaded lab tech like me. :iamafag:

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Elliotw2 posted:

......and the American style of having the finished loaf being 50% sugar by weight.

Huh? Is this a thing?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I'm as critical of America as anyone, but it makes me really sad that people in other countries think all our bread is Wonderbread :smith:

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

Baldbeard posted:

Huh? Is this a thing?

No, it's not, it's not even remotely true even by hyperbolic standards.

This thread has reached peak stupid.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

I hear that in america they make bread with mayonnaise

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
In America they have a McDonald's in every house and that's all they ever eat

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Elliotw2 posted:

There's a huge difference between a teaspoon of sugar for rising, and the American style of having the finished loaf being 50% sugar by weight.

The most high-sugar bread recipe I've ever used was 3tbsp of sugar for two loaves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

hot dogs aren't sandwiches

• Locked thread